Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime? - Page 24

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

krokorok should of never evolved into a krookodile i loved him as he was :( hes the best thnig about unova, not to mention i keep callling krookodile "crocodile" in my head.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I wish they'd acknowledge a Pokemon's gender when it's known. Like Ash, Cilan and Iris know Snivy's a girl... so why are they constantly calling Snivy "it"?
    That has to do with the fact that in the Japanese version of the show Pokemon are always referred to as "it" or "that one" since iirc Japanese don't have gender specific words like "he" or "she."
    They do, but they're addressed to humans, so it may be rather improper to use gender-indicating words for pokemons

Blog Entries

-I like Cilan's food based dialogue. To me, it's part of his dorky charm.

-I firmly believe that Burgundy and Cilan's problems could be solved if the two of them were locked in a room for about a week and they simply went ahead and, well...you know.

-Stephan's name gag makes me like the guy a lot. I feel bad for him because I'm kinda in the same boat.

-Luke's Golett is fine as it is. I actually hope the little guy never evolves.

-I'm more than a little tired of having the token "cute mammal" constantly crammed in my face. It's as if the writers are trying to scream, "Look at this! Isn't it the CUUUUUUUUTEST!!!" Most of the time, I can't help but think, "No, it really isn't." And to be honest, cute is highly subjective.

-That said, I find Oshawott's antics--especially its "Hurp durp, purdy gurl!" reactions about Meloetta--charming. But then again, there are plenty who think Oshawott isn't cute so that may explain it.

-On the other hand, I don't find Axew all that cute. From day one, it has annoyed me to no end.

-I don't like Bianca's dub voice. To me, it is grating.

-I don't like Iris and yet I don't hate her. She has a spark and when she doesn't do something that I find annoying or stupid, she's okay. But then she does something annoying and stupid I want a break from her. >.<

-I liked Dawn's appearance in BW.

-I enjoy some of the filler eps more than the battle eps. And sometimes I find the CotD more interesting than Ash and Co.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwynde View Post
    That's not really an unpopular opinion.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Iris's "You're such a little kid" is incredibly obnoxious.

I like this new Team Rocket Trio. They're darker and more serious but they also have a bit of comedy as well.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Registered User ♥^_^cremep0ps^_^♥'s Avatar

i think that dawn was the best main female character throughout the anime. because of her appearance and personality and stuff.

also i probably like the older team rocket better than this new, serious one. it was just such a dramatic change when, during the transfer from gen IV to V, they instantly went from comical to serious.
    Last edited by Karamazov; 13th January 2013 at 01:36 PM.
    martianmister likes this.
    "At noon on Wednesday, i'm gonna be leaving a watermelon-pineapple treasure inside of Liam Neeson. He's the one with the cooked fish allergies."
    ~Ron Paul

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I prefer BW over Johto only because I like Cilan.

As much as both Johto and BW are poor for different reasons, BW simply has an entertaining male sidekick character. And Johto still has that mess of episodes that can't be forgotten.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

This whole fandom is severely divided in opinions (that's a good thing in terms of diversity, though), so I'm not sure if these are popular or unpopular opinions but here goes. Here's what I feel to be quite frank and honest:

- 4Kids had better VAs (it's NOT because I heard them first, either, their voices are just more fitting and expressive than the current VAs IMO), replacement BGM, intros/closings, and better scripts for Ash and TRio than TPCi has had for the dub.
    - 4Kids did a better Pokemon dub than TPCi has overall IMHO.
    - TPCi has less editing, more faithfulness, more original JPN music, and better scripts for Brock and the others than 4Kids had.
    - DP Brock was dull as hell, and I was glad to see him leave. Overstayed his welcome. His Sinnoh team was extremely forgettable as was his character.
    - BW TRio are boring and their personalities flat and forgettable. They aren't any more competent than when they were goofballs.
    - Bill Rogers was poor in the role of Brock in the DP Saga, particularly his flirting or yelling. His voice did not fit Brock in that saga: maybe an older character, but Eric Stuart sounded more like a 15 year old than Bill did in his latter episodes of TPCi's dub. Brock always sounded like he was barking out orders in Bill's latter eps like "Bagged Then Tagged!"
    - Jimmy Zoppi's Meowth has grown unbearable in the BW Saga. He can't emote at all this saga, and it's painful to hear him in the role. Watching "Unova's Survival Crisis!" made me cringe because of his shoddy VA work as the character there. His voice for Meowth is now loud, annoying, and obnoxious. He was rambling on about "de' ancients..." as well.
    - Many FUNimation VAs are extremely overrated that make cameos in Pokemon these days, with a few exceptions being Chris Sabat and J. Michael Tatum. Those two can actually act well, unlike the others who people only like because of their absurd fanboyism/fangirlism for FUNimation these days.
    - Vic Mignogna was HORRIBLE as Keldeo. Completely miscast.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 20th January 2013 at 12:42 AM.
    Afrojisiac-19 likes this.

The Pokemon Anime has sucked since the beginning. (No offense to anyone.)
    It could have been improved by getting rid of Ash and Team Rocket a long time ago. (Start with the new protagonist at every region.)
    Any character that is not in the game, should not be in the anime (The TR trio and Max come to mind.)
    The anime portrays the games badly.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Come to think of it, I think the second Johto season, "Johto League Champions," was the worst overall season of the series, and the main reason why Johto gets so much hate.

While Johto Journies still had some decent episodes and things hadn't decayed into madness yet, "Johto League Champions" is truly, "Johto filler hell" at its worse. Out of that entire 52 episode season, there are maybe 20 important episodes at most and everything else is filler. This is where we were stuck in full blown Johto mindless eps, with no plot or character development, the flanderization of Misty and Brock, only 1 Gary appearance, and Ash's poor Johto team.

Thankfully Master Quest was a vast improvement, even if there were still some bad episodes in the mix.

But that middle Johto season, my god, I remember why even as a kid (I had to have been no more than 14-15 years old at the time I first saw it), and still boils up anger to this very day. I've revisited it as an adult many times...and outside of the funny Shuckle episode and a few others....just UGH.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwynde View Post
    -I like Cilan's food based dialogue. To me, it's part of his dorky charm.

-I firmly believe that Burgundy and Cilan's problems could be solved if the two of them were locked in a room for about a week and they simply went ahead and, well...you know.

-Stephan's name gag makes me like the guy a lot. I feel bad for him because I'm kinda in the same boat.

-Luke's Golett is fine as it is. I actually hope the little guy never evolves.

-I'm more than a little tired of having the token "cute mammal" constantly crammed in my face. It's as if the writers are trying to scream, "Look at this! Isn't it the CUUUUUUUUTEST!!!" Most of the time, I can't help but think, "No, it really isn't." And to be honest, cute is highly subjective.

-That said, I find Oshawott's antics--especially its "Hurp durp, purdy gurl!" reactions about Meloetta--charming. But then again, there are plenty who think Oshawott isn't cute so that may explain it.

-On the other hand, I don't find Axew all that cute. From day one, it has annoyed me to no end.

-I don't like Iris and yet I don't hate her. She has a spark and when she doesn't do something that I find annoying or stupid, she's okay. But then she does something annoying and stupid I want a break from her. >.<

-I liked Dawn's appearance in BW.

-I enjoy some of the filler eps more than the battle eps. And sometimes I find the CotD more interesting than Ash and Co.
    HAHAHAHA, I think this is more popular than unpopular :D
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking back i actually think Misty wasn't bad in Johto at all. Maybe she didn't get enough to do but whenever she got focus she made Johto worthwhile watching with her vivacious personality.

One of things i find weird is how many people forget that Misty actually received more screen time in Johto than she did in Orange or Kanto. I actually liked how she entered more competitions,did something big about her goal like entering Whirl Cup,battled more trainers, contributing to resolution of plots in many episodes such as playing role of detective solving mystery behind masked man, helped save group couple times getting them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode or helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank, trying to pair up Jenaro and Janine in Whirl Isoands appreciating romance etc as well building up team through Poliwhirl and Corsola.

I suppose reason why this passed under radar is because Johto was longer than previous two regions with increase of Misty focus not being notable and big enough compared to length of saga.

But regardless of that she was one of bright sides about this region often with various quirks, humor and different sides of personality contributing to good and enjoyable chemistry bringing life in otherwise soulless episodes.
    She was still tomboyish but also more understanding and caring with friendship with Ash and Brock growing significantly over time with reactions in Gotta Catch Ya Later saying everything. She wasn't anymore that impulsive girl which just wanted bike back nagging about it growing to appreciate her friends viewing them as "new family". Interacting with Ash in that region was of more lighthearted nature teasing him and getting annoyed in more friendly way(though sometimes she was still ready to bite head of) as well helping Brock about problems like romance issues or having private talks about upcoming battles showing great deal of care whenever he was sick or fall into trouble(such as Ninetales deceiving him and wanting to keep him for himself).

You can tell she matured there growing to appreciate Ash and Brock on much higher degree.
    In addition to that her interactions with several other characters only highlighted her growth becoming more independent and responsible with time. Such as Egan explaining why she likes water pokemon and growing to respect fire types and those who likes them,drawing nice parallel with Sakura bonding over both having older sisters with Misty helping her with issues with older siblings relating to each other,Andreas from Seaking tournament to who she managed to prove her skills along with nicely bonding with Poliwhirl helping him to retrieve self confidence and many more.

-I never disliked Tracey. Idea behind his character was interesting liking his career of being pokemon watcher which makes sketches and observe pokemon in their wild surrounding. His desire to meet prof. Oak holding huge respect and fascination was unique in a way as well and i actually enjoyed in his interactions with Ash and Misty in Orange Islands having some unique traits going for himself. Such as very shy approach toward girls rather drawing them instead of making direct contact, overall too polite and gentle nature getting himself in unnecessary trouble and work because of that. Such as doing Misty or Daisy chores at Cerulean gym not being one of those who will say no, later regretting for it. In fact he had excellent interactions with Misty and Daisy in chronicles now that i think about it.

I guess main reason why Tracey never managed to become appreciated and liked to wider agree was because poor guy never stayed for long enough to be fleshed out as character and gain some notable development. But regardless of that i can say i still like him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    This is where we were stuck in full blown Johto mindless eps, with no plot or character development, the flanderization of Misty and Brock, only 1 Gary appearance, and Ash's poor Johto team.
    Were they?
    Because it didn't seemed to be case with Misty being rich with personality showing many traits such as love for water types, falling down for cute pokemon like Teddiursa or being fascinated with nurse Joy which hated water types(before she discovered), temper blowing up at TR , Ash or other people stupidity(such as that small elder with Shuckle)was sick. Plenty of sarcasm teasing her friends having that adventurous spirit liking to try out new things(such as attempt to cook), caring side bonding with Sakura finding things in common etc.

Brock didn't seemed flanderized there either not exaggerating with flirting over girls like he did in DP showing lot of caring side when taking care of Golbat before evolving or his Pineco. Being nervous when meeting up with old friends like Suzie bringing back Vulpix, or shy asking Ash for help to get himself out of trouble he fall into(like kimono girls). Intelligent and wise preventing Ash or Misty from dropping in trouble etc.

If anything they were more fun to watch than TR same antics over and over again trying to catch Pikachu. Thank God writers pulled the out from rut they fall into from AG and onwards.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 20th January 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was actually fine with Brock's presence in DP. Croagunk alone justified Brock's existence in DP for me because seeing Brock get Poison Jabbed up the ass or in his junk (those were popular target areas, I noticed!) never ever got old for me. Even though I agree he was a better main cast member in AG, there were some actual GOOD episodes scattered across DP that were focused on him. And I also liked his shift to becoming a Pokemon Doctor because I feel DP was making incredibly subtle hints towards that career shifts due to the numerous instances in the series of him having to use his skills that matched those of a doctor's more than they did as a breeder's. Him going from Pokemon Breeder to Pokemon Doctor was much better-written and more realistic than previous similar examples (like Ambipom going from battles to contests to PING-PONG, and Gary suddenly shifting from trainer to researcher). Plus Brock had good moments during the Team Galactic finale, and he was also the one who got Paul to open up with some important exposition on himself and Chimchar on more than one occasion. AND, I think his very brief departure from Ash at the end of DP (with the lingering handshake) was much much much more moving and emotional than the entirety of Dawn/Piplup's departure in the same episode.

I think a lot of my other "unpopular" opinions are only unpopular outside of this forum. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Best Wishes is an enjoyable Pokemon series. It's one of the first times I've been consistently entertained episode after episode for a sizable interval of time. The COTDs and POTD tend to be quite memorable, some of the rivals are good, and it's willing to try new things and break from the typical formula like AG did with OS. Iris and Cilan are both likable, cool characters, and sue me, I like Club Battles because they provide some nice screen time for Pokemon and allow the rivals or someone else to have achievements, Scraggy probably wouldn't have fared as well as he has if not for the Clubsplosion in screen time for example. I just think focusing on so many characters in four episodes isn't smart because that can make things rushed, they should do something akin to the Tag Battle Tournament's sole focus on Paul, Ash, and Chimchar. TR not appearing every episode is a good thing for the show, the animation is amazing, the personality and interactions between the Pokemon is stunning, N appearing will surely be epic as well as Team Plasma and the return of Charizard, and it's no secret Iris is my favorite thing about this series. The writing isn't Grade A but it's Pokemon, it's Pokemon in anime form, it's Pokemon fighting and despite its flaws I still really enjoy it and the idea that it's an abominable series simply isn't true.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I agree with the above for the most part - the vast majority of individual episodes in BW are very good, and the 'filler' is especially good - I'd put a lot of that down to the lack of Team Rocket resulting in more diverse plots in those episodes. There are very few episodes I feel that dragged on, certainly far fewer than other regions.

However, the flaws in the overall writing, consistency and character development makes it disappointing overall. At its worst, BW was bad writing well executed. The worst BW episode is better than the worst of the other series, but BW's best falls short.

I think they overcorrected mid-season - I didn't mind the early Don Battle tournaments, but they needed to mix that with the regular Battle Club episodes that they had early on - having the rivals not battle eachother outside of tournaments is a bad idea - which is why Trip's handling in the league disappointed me so much, because he was the only one that got that early development as a rival for Ash, even if that wasn't particularly well handled.

Episode N has a huge amount of promise - if the episodes are half as well written as the potential for them suggests, then if the execution of the rest of BW keeps up, they will be fantastic. I think the issues will be in trying to shift Ash from losing every tournament in Unova to fighting Reshiram - I suppose that's why he needs to bring in Charizard.

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 28th December 2012, 06:40 AM