Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime? - Page 22

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

I wish they'd acknowledge a Pokemon's gender when it's known. Like Ash, Cilan and Iris know Snivy's a girl... so why are they constantly calling Snivy "it"?

Also, I think Cilan's culinary comparisons are kinda dumb (if funny).

And Team Rocket trio escaping on jet packs has basically become the new "We're blasting off again!". It was cool the first few times, now it's getting boring.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

I'm one of those fans who aren't that pleased with the Ash Vs. Paul battle in the Sinnoh League. Even though the battle itself was awesome, I still couldn't help but about the feel that it never really felt like it really was Paul Ash defeated, because he used completely different Pokémon from the time where he eliminated Ash at Lake Acuity.

Back at Lake Acuity we saw how Paul with the team of Honchcrow, Weavile, Ursaring, Magmortar, Electivire and Torterra (the Pokémon that always have been representing him through this saga) crushed Ash's Sinnoh team, leaving Paul with four of his Pokémon left once Ash was defeated, while all of Ash's Pokémon was in one way or another completely humiliated in battle. We even saw how and Ash and his team were dedicated their own episode afterward in order to cheer up after that huge loss to Paul, and I was convinced about the fact that Ash in the league would get his revenge at that team exactly, for his Pokémon's sake too, but then what happens?

For the battle with Ash, Paul brings forth a completely new team with Pokémon that we've never seen him use (with the exception of Aggron and Electivire), and even mentions that two of them were just ''pawns'' to see if Ash was indeed using the same team as back in Lake Acuity. He said that they all were part of his strategy to defeat that specific team, but still I can't help but to feel like that if Paul had chosen his original team which he used at Lake Acuity he surely would've won. That much time hadn't passed between these two battles, and I'm pretty sure that the evolutions of Monferno and Grotle was nearly not enough to take out all of those Pokémon they fought before.

It was great that they had the final battle be between Electivire and Infernape, but what about the others? Torterra was crushed by Honchcrow for the second time back at Lake Acuity, and they don't give a chance for revenge? Instead they just let it loose in same humiliating way to another Pokémon. Buizel took out one of those ''pawns'', and that was definitrely not enough to fully satisfy me. Staraptor lost too, but he had at least taken out Weavile back at Lake Acuity, so his loss I was fine with. Still, it never felt like Ash defeated Paul's ''ultimate team''. If Honchcrow, Magmortar and Torterra had been in the battle, I'd call it a real ending to their rivalry, since those three (along with Electivire) surely were the four strongest Pokémon in Paul's team, while Weavile and Ursaring both have lost one or two times, and thus really didn't need to be seen.

In this battle it really felt like the writers themselves realized that Ash wouldn't stand a chance against Paul if he used his Lake Acuity team, therefore they had to switch them out to a ''weaker'' team in order to give Ash a chance. It was just awful and really disappointing, and thanks to that I can't help but to feel that the rivalry got a really cheap ending.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

I actually thought Shinji's league team was just as powerful. Electivire seemed at least as powerful as Ursaring, and Drapion was as powerful as Torterra. Imagine seeing that monster at Lake Acuity. Also, using Pokemon that Satoshi wasn't familiar with gave him an advantage.

On topic, I think that Gary was an awful rival, almost as bad as trip. I liked him better afterwards, but he appeared so little and was way overpowered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SatoshiKun View Post
    I actually thought Shinji's league team was just as powerful. Electivire seemed at least as powerful as Ursaring, and Drapion was as powerful as Torterra. Imagine seeing that monster at Lake Acuity. Also, using Pokemon that Satoshi wasn't familiar with gave him an advantage.
    Drapion was definitely not as strong as Torterra considering that Torterra is Paul's first and strongest Pokémon. Drapion was powerful, but I sincerely doubt that he could be compared to Torterra who we even saw give Cynthia's Garchomp a hard time.

Using Pokémon that Ash wasn't familiar with could have been an advantage, but using the Pokémon that Ash previously had been completely crushed by could've been just a threatening, as that'd really put Ash against the wall.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post
    Drapion was definitely not as strong as Torterra considering that Torterra is Paul's first and strongest Pokémon. Drapion was powerful, but I sincerely doubt that he could be compared to Torterra who we even saw give Cynthia's Garchomp a hard time.

Using Pokémon that Ash wasn't familiar with could have been an advantage, but using the Pokémon that Ash previously had been completely crushed by could've been just a threatening, as that'd really put Ash against the wall.
    Infernape could have beaten Torterra, Ursaring, and Electivire, Staraptor/Pikachu could take down Honchrow, Buizel could probably beat magmortar after it got weakened by someone else first, Torterra could probably have handled Weavile given that Grotle beat sneasel before. Umm Gliscor could fit in somewhere XDDDD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Infernape could have beaten Torterra, Ursaring, and Electivire, Staraptor/Pikachu could take down Honchrow, Buizel could probably beat magmortar after it got weakened by someone else first, Torterra could probably have handled Weavile given that Grotle beat sneasel before. Umm Gliscor could fit in somewhere XDDDD
    I hardly doubt Infernape would've been able to beat Torterra. We've only seen Torterra lose one battle, and that was against Garchomp. Torterra is Paul's strongest Pokémon, I even doubt Infernape could take it down. And besides, picking out Pokémon in order like that and deciding who is going to beat who won't work, since the Trainers are able to switch Pokémon whenever they want, and we clearly saw that Paul was the best one at switching Pokémon during their battle at Lake Acuity.

Also, Magmortar nearly defeated Buizel. And saying that Torterra can beat a Weavile just because Grotle took down Candice's Sneaseal isn't going to work, considering that they're completely different Trainers with completely different strategies, not to mention that Weavile also gains a gigantic advantage with its Ice-type attacks doing x4 damage with Torterra being a Ground/Grass-type.
    Last edited by Chiplet; 29th December 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Drapion was definitely not as strong as Torterra considering that Torterra is Paul's first and strongest Pokémon. Drapion was powerful, but I sincerely doubt that he could be compared to Torterra who we even saw give Cynthia's Garchomp a hard time.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure. That thing took a water gun, energy ball, leaf storm, giga impact, fire fang, and suffered a burn before fainting. Torterra took several super effective hits from gliscor, but Satoshi's Pokemon were all stronger by the league.

Blog Entries

I'm not so sure. That thing took a water gun, energy ball, leaf storm, giga impact, fire fang, and suffered a burn before fainting. Torterra took several super effective hits from gliscor, but Satoshi's Pokemon were all stronger by the league.
    Torterra was able to give Garchomp a hard time, just that is saying a lot. Not to mention how it also easily defeated Croagunk and Farfetch'd at the Tag Tournament. There's no doubt that Paul's first Pokémon is his strongest.

Blog Entries

I hardly doubt Infernape would've been able to beat Torterra. We've only seen Torterra lose one battle, and that was against Garchomp. Torterra is Paul's strongest Pokémon, I even doubt Infernape could take it down. And besides, picking out Pokémon in order like that and deciding who is going to beat who won't work, since the Trainers are able to switch Pokémon whenever they want, and we clearly saw that Paul was the best one at switching Pokémon during their battle at Lake Acuity.

Also, Magmortar nearly defeated Buizel. And saying that Torterra can beat a Weavile just because Grotle took down Candice's Sneaseal isn't going to work, considering that they're completely different Trainers with completely different strategies, not to mention that Weavile also gains a gigantic advantage with its Ice-type attacks doing x4 damage with Torterra being a Ground/Grass-type.
    You are just one massive paul fanboy aren't you :p

And sure if Gliscor of all things can damage torterra as much as it did on lake acuity, an fully powered infernape would definitely be able to take down a torterra. Also if Blaze ever activated Torterra=tortertoast Besides we barely saw the thing fight anyways. Does it mean since Pikachu is Ash's starter and can beat legendaries mean it is completely unbeatable? No, especially with BW telling us pretty much all its wins in the sinnoh league were flukes at best.

I did say after magmortar took some damage previously, and buizel has gotten stronger since then. Torterras are known for tanking attacks and weavile's doom at the lake was to a flying type also with a weakness to ice. There's really nothing that says Ash's torterra couldn't beat it especially since Torterras generally have high attack power and weaviles are frail.

Blog Entries

I am a fan of Paul. What of it? I did want to see Paul lose to Ash y'know, so don't get me wrong.

And sure if Gliscor of all things can damage torterra as much as it did on lake acuity, an fully powered infernape would definitely be able to take down a torterra. Also if Blaze ever activated Torterra=tortertoast Besides we barely saw the thing fight anyways. Does it mean since Pikachu is Ash's starter and can beat legendaries mean it is completely unbeatable? No, especially with BW telling us pretty much all its wins in the sinnoh league were flukes at best.
    Gliscor did get in a lot of hits on Torterra, but damage? I hardly doubt that. Torterra proved back at the episode where Grotle evolved that it was all about defense. Torterra doesn't care for dodging moves. He's able to take a lot attacks without really taking much damage at all, which he has proven quite a lot of times. The only thing that really bothered it was the after-effect from using Frenzy Plant. Gligar's moves never seemed to have any real damage on it.

Torterra isn't unbeatable, but I don't see how it, after proving a lot of times how extremely powerful it is, would go down to Ash's Infernape. It never really seemed to be damaged at all when it fought Ash at Lake Acuity, it took down both Croagunk and Farfetch'd on its own, AND it proved that it was able to take quite a lot of attacks from Gliscar without really being damaged at all. And once again, its battle against Garchomp also proved quite a lot. Infernape didn't stand a chance againt Flint's Infernape, yet Paul was actually able to damage and TRAP Garchomp, a Pokémon that is even stronger than Flint's Infernape.

I did say after magmortar took some damage previously, and buizel has gotten stronger since then. Torterras are known for tanking attacks and weavile's doom at the lake was to a flying type also with a weakness to ice. There's really nothing that says Ash's torterra couldn't beat it especially since Torterras generally have high attack power and weaviles are frail.
    How much stronger has Buizel got? Can you meassure that? And haven't Magmortar gotten stronger, too? We saw Buizel learn Ice Punch, a move that really won't do anything against Magmortar. I doubt that'll be enough to take down Magmortar after that it showed its strength in the Lake Acuity battle.

Ash's Torterra is... rather pathetic. Have we seen it win one real battle that wasn't against Team Rocket?
    Let's not forget that Staraptor possessed Close Combat, a move that does x4 damage to Weavile, and that Weavile only had an advantage with x2 to Staraptor while its Ice-attacks did double the damage to Torterra. Not sure that is being taken into account in the animé, but I still honestly doubt that Torterra would've been able to defeat Weavile.

Torterra was able to give Garchomp a hard time, just that is saying a lot. Not to mention how it also easily defeated Croagunk and Farfetch'd at the Tag Tournament. There's no doubt that Paul's first Pokémon is his strongest.
    Piplup took out a Scyther with one peck. The Tag Tournament had a lot of one or two hit knockouts. As for Garchomp, Axew knocked it over with giga impact, and it took out Torterra in one hit (though I admit thats kinda bull seeing that it later took multiple hits from other Pokemon)
    Last edited by SatoshiKun; 29th December 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Piplup took out a Scyther with one peck.
    And what did you originally know about Schyter's strength? Nothing, right?

As for Garchomp, Axew knocked it over with giga impact, and it took out Torterra in one hit (though I admit thats kinda bull seeing that it later took multiple hits from other Pokemon)
    Garchomp could've easily dodged that move if Cynthia wanted to. That only happened to spice up the fact that Axew learned Giga Impact.

I might just start a Torterra vs Drapion thread.

Blog Entries

I am a fan of Paul. What of it? I did want to see Paul lose to Ash y'know, so don't get me wrong.
    OKay suit yourself.

Gliscor did get in a lot of hits on Torterra, but damage? I hardly doubt that. Torterra proved back at the episode where Grotle evolved that it was all about defense. Torterra doesn't care for dodging moves. He's able to take a lot attacks without really taking much damage at all, which he has proven quite a lot of times. The only thing that really bothered it was the after-effect from using Frenzy Plant. Gligar's moves never seemed to have any real damage on it.
    Torterra isn't unbeatable, but I don't see how it, after proving a lot of times how extremely powerful it is, would go down to Ash's Infernape. It never really seemed to be damaged at all when it fought Ash at Lake Acuity, it took down both Croagunk and Farfetch'd on its own, AND it proved that it was able to take quite a lot of attacks from Gliscar without really being damaged at all. And once again, its battle against Garchomp also proved quite a lot. Infernape didn't stand a chance againt Flint's Infernape, yet Paul was actually able to damage and TRAP Garchomp, a Pokémon that is even stronger than Flint's Infernape.
    It was heaving with exhaustion at the end. Even after it got healed some with Giga drain. And are you saying Croagunk and Farfetched are supposed to pose a threat to ANY torterra?As for Cynthia Sure it got in some scratch damage with Frenzy plant but it was still One shotted by Brick break. And contrary to your beliefs Torterra had less of chance of winning that bout than Infernape ever did vs Flint especially since that battle took place only a few eps after evolution.
    How much stronger has Buizel got? Can you meassure that? And haven't Magmortar gotten stronger, too? We saw Buizel learn Ice Punch, a move that really won't do anything against Magmortar. I doubt that'll be enough to take down Magmortar after that it showed its strength in the Lake Acuity battle.
    And can you really measure directly the amount of strength magmortar got in comparison to Buizel? And we know save his Electivire everyone gets rotated around while Buizel is on Ash's team for constant training. Ash's pokemon got the short stick because we have to balance out appearances and constantly showcase new pokemon and battles as well as take into account for plot while all paul had to do was look invincible for the league. They're much stronger than what their win record might suggest.

Ash's Torterra is... rather pathetic. Have we seen it win one real battle that wasn't against Team Rocket?
    Let's not forget that Staraptor possessed Close Combat, a move that does x4 damage to Weavile, and that Weavile only had an advantage with x2 to Staraptor while its Ice-attacks did double the damage to Torterra. Not sure that is being taken into account in the animé, but I still honestly doubt that Torterra would've been able to defeat Weavile.
    Yes and we've seen it go up against exactly 3 real battles. Paul;'s OP Drapion, an Electivire trained by a gym leader supposedly so good he quit from winning too much and en elite four member. We've never got the chance to see it go up against anything short of the very best so its very insensitive to just go tossing around Ash's Torterra sucks when you take into account the caliber of their enemies.

CC didn't do jack squat to Weavile, it was brave bird that finished it. Besides Ash's torterra while being slightly less tankish than your average torterra is much faster and has rock climb to trap and take down it's foes. And I seriously doubt a weavile can wreck the move in the same way Drapion and Electivire did.

Ash's Acuity team by leaguetime would be more than ready to beat paul's team come leaguetime. Even if we account switches its not like paul has perfect skills of prediction and we've seen him go on full tilt when things go sour.

Blog Entries

And are you saying Croagunk and Farfetched are supposed to pose a threat to ANY torterra?As for Cynthia Sure it got in some scratch damage with Frenzy plant but it was still One shotted by Brick break. And contrary to your beliefs Torterra had less of chance of winning that bout than Infernape ever did vs Flint especially since that battle took place only a few eps after evolution.
    Why of course. Why wouldn't a Croagunk and a Farfetch'd be a threat? It has nothing to do with the size, y'know. But since the two of them made it all the way up to the semi-final, then naturally they are strong Pokémon. And we all know how strong Brock's Croagunk is.

But what did you honestly except? It's the strongest Pokémon of a Champion, naturally that would happen. The same thing happened for Trip's Serperior when it fought Bouffalant, regardless of the fact that Trip's Serperior was the one who completely dominated in the Junior Cup, without taking any damage at all.

Infernape was taken down by one Mach Punch, and that was also about a 100 episodes later, which is quite a lot of time for Torterra to grow even stronger. Ash hasn't had Infernape nearly as long as Paul had his Torterra, and even though Infernape definitely is strong, I hardly doubt it can beat Torterra. Even when Chimchar was just on the edge of evolving it stood no chance against Torterra. It's true that Light Screen helped it, but it was still stopped by Stone Edge too, not to mention that Torterra previously had battled both Gliscor and Staraptor, while Chimchar had just been taken out.

And can you really measure directly the amount of strength magmortar got in comparison to Buizel?
    After their last battle, I can. We saw how Magmortar easily countered Buizel's Water Gun with Rock Tomb, and how it only was hit by one Aqua Jet (that by the way seemed to have done nothing at all) before it hit Buizel with Smog and put it in a disadvantage. Why should Magmortar be able to do the same thing? Buizel might see it coming, but even if it does Magmortar will still be able to counter its other moves.

Magmortar was the one who clearly had an advantage in that battle, there's no denying it.

And we know save his Electivire everyone gets rotated around while Buizel is on Ash's team for constant training.
    And your point is? That doesn't mean that Paul can train everyone equally as much. We've all seen how much time he puts down on training.

Ash's pokemon got the short stick because we have to balance out appearances and constantly showcase new pokemon and battles as well as take into account for plot while all paul had to do was look invincible for the league. They're much stronger than what their win record might suggest.
    How is that giving Ash the shorter end of the stick? Magmortar was the only new appearance we had in that battle, and if Ash wasn't going to battle it again later on it didn't need to be seen as a real threat. Yet it gave Pikachu and Buizel a really hard time and yet still stood strong.

Yes and we've seen it go up against exactly 3 real battles. Paul;'s OP Drapion, an Electivire trained by a gym leader supposedly so good he quit from winning too much and en elite four member. We've never got the chance to see it go up against anything short of the very best so its very insensitive to just go tossing around Ash's Torterra sucks when you take into account the caliber of their enemies.
    Considering that Electivire had a clear advantage in ALL of those battles when it comes to type, and yet it wasn't able to take down a single one of them (of course it wouldn't take down Bertha's Hippowdon), I naturally should be able to make a judgment regarding its strength when it has been shown to us several times in real battles. Infernape was able to take down to of the Gym leader's Pokémon, and he wasn't in an advantage type wise. Torterra had an advantage, and didn't take out a single one. Only that says a lot. It is supposed to be able to beat Pokémon that belongs to a Gym leader, but it wasn't.

CC didn't do jack squat to Weavile, it was brave bird that finished it. Besides Ash's torterra while being slightly less tankish than your average torterra is much faster and has rock climb to trap and take down it's foes. And I seriously doubt a weavile can wreck the move in the same way Drapion and Electivire did.
    Close Combat did in fact damage Weavile. Brave Bird might have finished the attack, but Weavile was hurt by Close Combat at first. But really though, I've always seen Weavile as one of Paul's weakest Pokémon after what I've seen it do. As the matter of fact, I could've been without both Ursaring and Weavile in the League battle, since we've already seen Ash take down both of them. But Honchcrow, Magmortar and Torterra we haven't seen Ash take down, and those three, along with Electivire, were clearly made to be his strongest Pokémon.

Ash's Acuity team by leaguetime would be more than ready to beat paul's team come leaguetime. Even if we account switches its not like paul has perfect skills of prediction and we've seen him go on full tilt when things go sour.
    What do you base that of? Except evolutions for Grotle and Monferno and training with air master for Gliscor, what development did the rest of the team go through? It's not like Paul has been sitting around doing nothing up until the league either, and let's not forget that he also had an evolution with Electivire, a Pokémon that we saw it take down Gliscor AND Pikachu, not to mention that it also was on the edge of defeating Infernape.

Ninjask, Aggron and Gastrodon were never really established as real threats, especially not Aggron and Gastrodon as they were only there to make Ash switch Pokémon so that Paul could confirm that he was in fact using the same team.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 28th December 2012, 06:40 AM