Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime? - Page 19

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Like Tree740Likes

Thread: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Likeitornot. View Post
    IKind of the same with disliking Iris and having her as least favourite companion- popular here, but the Best Wishes viewers on Tumblr adore her and her character, to the point where it's very rare to see any comment of dislike, just as an example.
    Just curious, do you have a link to these tumblr sites? I imagine its from people who haven't followed the anime years.
    If they adore her, then they logically follow the anime.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Likeitornot. View Post
    IKind of the same with disliking Iris and having her as least favourite companion- popular here, but the Best Wishes viewers on Tumblr adore her and her character, to the point where it's very rare to see any comment of dislike, just as an example.
    Just curious, do you have a link to these tumblr sites? I imagine its from people who haven't followed the anime years.
    best wishes 2 | Tumblr

This is the official Best Wishes Season 2 tag. I have live skype chats with half of the people who post on that tag whenever BW airs.

And The fandom as a whole really doesn't share the general view on BMGf.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

I've read a few of the posts above and I'm quite shocked to see little talk about Hoenn. In my opinion, the writers were on a roll with Hoenn, BIG TIME. It had so much versatility it was unbelievable! As writing and such is the profession I look to go into, and being a BIG BIG Pokémon fan, I could watch the Advanced arc generation seasons and NEVER get bored! Sure, sometimes it followed the exact same formula as previous episodes, with Team Rocket stopping by taking up some of the episode time and blah, but, the stories became more original and fun to see how it panned out in the end! From May being absolutely horrible at Pokémon, and spending hardly any time on her Torchic, it really gave the show more of a platform, especially considering they brought Max' character into it. For me, Max' character gave the show what it was lacking, someone that looked up to Ash but also taught him a lot throughout their time together! Even the way Kanto & Johto Pokémon were brought into Hoenn without the question of the writers thinking people might get bored seeing older Pokémon, but it made it fun! I hope I'm not only speaking for myself when I give the Advanced gen a BIG PLUS. That being my favourite Region and section of Seasons, I am one of those fans that LONGS for R/S Remakes, not just for the thrill, but because they could take advantage of the Hoenn Region so badly!
    N is finished yet.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Yeah, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find any seething hatred against Iris outside of Bulbagarden, believe it or not, that's why I think the dislike toward Iris here is more of an unpopular thing. On Serebii for example most people are neutral or fine with her or, as Yoshi-san and LikeitorNur said, they all really adore her on Tumblr. It shows how demographics vary from site to site I guess.

-An unpopular opinion I have about Misty is that I don't quite understand the dislike toward Misty, I'm more indifferent toward her than anything else. Her Psyduck was the shit and Politoed was cute :3

-(Though I don't know the general consensus on this) DP fillers were on par with most Johto fillers, which I found to be bland most of the time. Best Wishes has the BEST fillers of any Pokemon series. Litwick, Katharine and Gothita, Mighty Accelguard, Snivy VS. Cinccino, Emolga/Snivy, Oshawott losing his scalchop, Cilan and Chili's Brother Battle, are just a few off the top of my head.

-Buneary might as well have not been caught at times, given she hardly battled and only had the fashion competition to herself, though her Pikachu crush and LagoMorphShipping were cool. She stagnated her whole run.

-I don't have a seething hatred of Best Wishes.

Blog Entries

I don't think that Buneary stagnating is an unpopular opinion really. I remember a ton of posts about how she needed to learn a new move or just evolve already, and that she needed to stop doing appeals. Nando's Lopunny really showed what the writers really could have done with it in terms of a moveset.

Personally despised it and wish it never existed. I think its only good moment was the Phione ep but even then it still revolved around the silly crush on Pikachu.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I agree with just about everything Scott says most of the time.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I actually didn't mind Buneary. She was pretty cute, even if she did have that barf-inducing vest.

I thought Johto was actually a neat saga. Sure, the fillers were usually mind-numbing, but Ash had an interesting team, I liked most of the plot-centric episodes, and that Radio Show filler was one of my favorite episodes of the series.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    And The fandom as a whole really doesn't share the general view on BMGf.
    I disagree. I've been on Serebii regularly since 2004 and the opinions there aren't THAT much different than they are here. Its always been obvious no matter what forum you're on that certain characters or Pokemon are popular, mainly because of good writing.

Also if you're speaking of places like deviantart/youtube/tumblr fansites, etc....many of those people haven't watched the show regularly since Johto and don't even know what the newer sagas are actually like. They base everything they know about the characters from youtube clips or whatever people say about them, without actually sitting down to watch episodes.

This is why on Bulbagarden/Serebii, there isn't much bias for nostalgia and the early seasons, but if you go to places like youtube/deviantart, all you see there is, "Kanto/Johto and original trio forever" type of people. I guess they've all but been driven out of the main pokemon forums and now hide out at nostalgic pokemon forums because those types of opinions wouldn't fly over here without debate.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I disagree. I've been on Serebii regularly since 2004 and the opinions there aren't THAT much different than they are here.
    Honestly, the contrast is pretty obvious. ._. Sure the Trip disdain is present there as well, but most people on Serebii are perfectly fine with Iris. Many had quite a problem with Iris' Dragonite, but after a few episodes and it turning out Iris' Dragonite wasn't under-control like everyone thought coupled with the fact Dragonite hasn't won anything under Iris' ownership, the annoyance was quickly expunged. Everyone just wants her Axew to be used more right now. A similarity is that most people find Carmon to be a bit too idiotic, a contrast is most find Burgundy to be a poorly handled rival.

Also if you're speaking of places like deviantart/youtube/tumblr fansites, etc....many of those people haven't watched the show regularly since Johto and don't even know what the newer sagas are actually like. They base everything they know about the characters from youtube clips or whatever people say about them, without actually sitting down to watch episodes.
    I can't speak for the other two sites, but you're wrong about Tumblr. Many of these people are just into the anime as much as you are, just because they don't post on a forum doesn't mean they don't watch the series, Scott. You should know that. XP Half of them post live during the episodes and post screen shots and post about the episodes after and during them and have skype chats. :P

This is why on Bulbagarden/Serebii, there isn't much bias for nostalgia and the early seasons, but if you go to places like youtube/deviantart, all you see there is, "Kanto/Johto and original trio forever" type of people. I guess they've all but been driven out of the main pokemon forums and now hide out at nostalgic pokemon forums because those types of opinions wouldn't fly over here without debate.
    I had a feeling this involved Johto/Misty somehow.......that's another unpopular opinion I have. XP

-I NEVER SEE NOSTALGIC-CRAZED FANS. I'm always hearing people whine about how nostalgic fans run rampant but I have never come across such a fan ever. And Youtube, yeah. Well that's your problem right there, I've never tried to have a debate or serious conversation on Youtube about Pokemon. :P

-In Burgundy's debut episode, I actually like her a lot and I felt like that's where her evaluation made the most sense. She wanted Ash to have a Chlorophyll Sewaddle, which makes sense since Ash has a "sweeper" battling style and goes for speed mainly. So it makes sense for him to have a Sewaddle with that ability, not to mention she evaluated Pikachu and Ash perfectly. Shame the writers had to send her en route to crazy town a little too hard.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 25th December 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post

-I NEVER SEE NOSTALGIC-CRAZED FANS. I'm always hearing people whine about how nostalgic fans run rampant but I have never come across such a fan ever. And Youtube, yeah. Well that's your problem right there, I've never tried to have a debate or serious conversation on Youtube about Pokemon. :P
    That's because you're not looking in the right places. There are still a ton of overly nostalgic pokemon fans out there who hate all the new characters that came in after Misty and Brock, and dislike all the newer seasons.

They're just not in the main pokemon forums anymore because those type of opinions wouldn't be tolerated here. So instead they create their own forums or are on deviantart and youtube groups. I would have never believed these people would still exist unless I just happened to randomly come across it. Mainly because it makes no sense to me, how could anyone still be sitting there complaining about a show they haven't watched in over 10 years? Makes no sense to me at all.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Drifting away from the main topic here. This is to discuss your unpopular opinions, not where you can locate certain sects of fans online.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

I've been playing Pokémon, and watching the Animé since like 1999, and I was addicted as soon as I saw "Pikachu! I Choose You!" as a child. Seeing how they completely stripped Ash of EVERYTHING he had learnt and experienced in Regions before Unova, left me heartbroken, literally. If they wanted a fresh start, they should have got a completely new male protagonist and let it be. The fact that they ruined Ash' past for me in the process of Best Wishes was devasting, and them trying to revive it when Dawn came back for a while was disrespectful to us hardcore fans to be honest. The way Ash was just like "Yeah we travelled together through Sinnoh", NOT EVEN MENTIONING ONE OF HIS ACHIEVEMENTS, made me sick lol. I know they are trying to adapt BW for new kids getting into Pokémon, but a few references or dwelling on the past for Ash wouldn't hurt, they did it very well in Hoenn (even bringing Bulbasaur back for JUST an episode was enough to keep me satisfied! Knowing that all of Ash's other Pokémon I watched growing up were still in the loop! I actually used to get angry during the 1st Season on BW seeing Iris telling Ash that he's such a kid, and I think that was the writers intentions, but still they have not added into this saga ANYTHING about Ash's past achievements. One episode that really makes my day is when Ash battles Tucker (Frontier Brain) and they had that MASSIVE inspirational introduction for when Ash entered the Battle, I know that won't likely happen again because that was BF days and it was a time when Ash was praised for his past achievements, but a LITTLE wouldn't hurt........
    Duque and Pokémon Master Ash like this.
    N is finished yet.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolty94 View Post
    Seeing how they completely stripped Ash of EVERYTHING he had learnt and experienced in Regions before Unova, left me heartbroken, literally. If they wanted a fresh start, they should have got a completely new male protagonist and let it be.
    I hardly think that's an unpopular opinion. A bit at the fanatical end of the spectrum, but from what I've gathered, pretty much everyone is pissed off by Ash's character in BW. There's the whole debate of whether he's been reset or not.

I actually think I hold the unpopular opinion in that regard. Over the years I've lowered my expectations for the series dramatically. Because of that, the way he's been acting as of late hasn't bothered me. I don't really expect to be wowed by much of anything that happens in this anime anymore, so I don't find the route they're going is so much of a travesty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolty94 View Post
    Seeing how they completely stripped Ash of EVERYTHING he had learnt and experienced in Regions before Unova, left me heartbroken, literally. If they wanted a fresh start, they should have got a completely new male protagonist and let it be.
    I hardly think that's an unpopular opinion. A bit at the fanatical end of the spectrum, but from what I've gathered, pretty much everyone is pissed off by Ash's character in BW. There's the whole debate of whether he's been reset or not.

I actually think I hold the unpopular opinion in that regard. Over the years I've lowered my expectations for the series dramatically. Because of that, the way he's been acting as of late hasn't bothered me. I don't really expect to be wowed by much of anything that happens in this anime anymore, so I don't find the route they're going is so much of a travesty.
    Hmmm... I don't find your reasoning an unpopular opinion, but a straightforward and honest POV which I can easily agree (even if I think Ash retrograded, though). Pokemon anime can really "betray" you if you expect too much from it.

Well, here's an unpopular opinion: I find Kotetsu/Cameron an amazing trainer and I hope he wins the league.
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

That's the thing though, I never expected much from the Animé a year ago... And now that I've recently started watching the Hoenn Saga from the beginning again, I've come to be very judgmental of how it's written now a days. I'm not asking for Ash to rely on his old Pokémon for the League and blah like he kinda did in the Sinnoh League, I'm just asking for the writers to be a bit more respectful of how people may be feeling, haha that actually sounds quite emotional, but if anything, THEY SHOULD KNOW. I am actually hoping that they get done with all the Episode N stuff as soon as, I like N, but for me I've seen all I needed to see from him in BW & BW2, it's so unbelievably predictable to guess what is coming with the N episode... The amazement N will realize when he sees that Pikachu loves Ash so dearly and blah, it's just all become such a blur because you can almost see everything coming. Most fans I know say they like and appreciate the 5th generation because it's been surprising, but for me, it's lacked so much... In Design, and technique. I won't even get into how tacky some of the 5th Gen Pokémon designs are because that's not what this threads about, but it's not asking for too much to have a little sense of Dignity in the Animé anymore...
    N is finished yet.

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 28th December 2012, 06:40 AM