Did Ash ever answer "N"?

Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By garrison-san
  • 2 Post By garrison-san

Thread: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

  1. #1
    Registered User PiccoloX83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Texas, Dallas
    Posts
    389
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    I must have missed it, but did Ash ever answer "N" when he was asked why he made his friends fight? In the games "N" brought up animal cruelty issues, but the games seem closer to reality than the show. And on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians? You can only do so much when making nothing but veggie sandwiches. Sorry to nitpick, but I figured if anybody had these kinda answers this'd be the place.



    And is it so wrong to say a pokemon is a carnivore and not really question it's diet?!?

  2. #2
    samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    4,559
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.

  3. #3
    I like warm hugs! Yash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    505

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    They have real animals in Pokemon



    They eat those

  4. #4
    samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    4,559
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yash View Post
    They have real animals in Pokemon
    A few of the Kanto episodes were quite loose with that particular issue, but real world animals have been retconned out of the anime for a while now.
    Reila and Foxeaf like this.

  5. #5
    Registered User Hex Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.
    I agree. There's so much more to vegetarianism than just making simplistic veggie sandwiches.

  6. #6
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.
    I agree. There's so much more to vegetarianism than just making simplistic veggie sandwiches.
    Not to mention Cilan is a specialist in Grass-types. There are plenty of Grass-type pokemons that provide a lot of food sources and herbal medicine and Cilan would obviously be aware of that.

  7. #7
    Registered User PiccoloX83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Texas, Dallas
    Posts
    389
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Was aware that for a while there were real world animals in Pokemon. Gengar turning into a mongoose to scare Arbok, a shop on a pier having the design of a real crab, even ordinary domesticated animals in the original manga. The R/B games also mentioned that when people eat a fish pokemon their to throw the bones back into the water and it goes through a rebirth kind of ordeal. Didn't ash eat hamburgers at one point as well? While real world animals have gradually been removed the games still reference pokemon to hunting each other for food. And no offense to any vegetarians, but he IS regarded as a chef but only ever makes pokemon food and veggie sandwiches. If he is a chef, he has extremely limited potential and his general culinary speaking (throwing words into sentences that only vaguely belong) tends to piss me off (Iris would agree).

    Still, back to the topic. Did Ash ever answer 'N'? I only partially remember that episode and I think they were either separated at that point or Ash simply dodged the question. He can't really say he doesn't make them fight because that's all he's been doing for 10 years... Timeline pending. lol

  8. #8
    Registered User BlazinBisharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Add BlazinBisharp on Facebook
    Visit BlazinBisharp's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    I don't think Ash himself answered the question but N realized it while they were trapped underground and all of Ash's pokemon help him and N escape. If I remember correctly N said something in his head like "The reason Ash's pokemon fight is not because he wants them to but because they want to be there for him" or something like that.

    Also I want to point out that being a chef doesn't mean you can cook everything under the sun it just means you a master or great at cooking what you cook, plus if you remember in there is an episode of Ash and Brock fantasizing about eating cooked magikarp so I think since pokemon is aimed to children I don't think they would directly say that that beef in that hamburger is miltank or tauros meat since pokemon are seen as friends or companions and it could scare kids somehow.

  9. #9
    Take the Stage! Mooites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cherrygrove City
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.
    As a vegetarian, I agree that there's way more than veggie sandwiches!
    But I think what OP means is that in the anime when the characters eat, it is usually triangular sandwiches that seem to be filled with lettuce. I don't know if these are paint edits of onigiri though. But at least in a lot of Original Series -> DP episodes, the characters only seemed to eat stew and veggie sandwiches when on the road.

    One time the filling of the sandwiches was colored grey... I don't want to know what that was supposed to be o_O

  10. #10
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Cilan's made potato salad sandwiches at least once, and I know they've had fruit sandwiches on a few occasions as well. So there's those, too.

    topic what topic

  11. #11
    Registered User Hex Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.
    I agree. There's so much more to vegetarianism than just making simplistic veggie sandwiches.
    Not to mention Cilan is a specialist in Grass-types. There are plenty of Grass-type pokemons that provide a lot of food sources and herbal medicine and Cilan would obviously be aware of that.
    Just out of curiosity, do we have some kind of canon backup that herbal medicines can be provided by Grass types? If not (and you just came up with it) would you mind if I used the idea in a fic I'm writing?

  12. #12
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.
    I agree. There's so much more to vegetarianism than just making simplistic veggie sandwiches.
    Not to mention Cilan is a specialist in Grass-types. There are plenty of Grass-type pokemons that provide a lot of food sources and herbal medicine and Cilan would obviously be aware of that.
    Just out of curiosity, do we have some kind of canon backup that herbal medicines can be provided by Grass types? If not (and you just came up with it) would you mind if I used the idea in a fic I'm writing?
    Check the dex entry for Grass-types, and there are several that state they can be eaten.

    For example, the Emerald dex entry for Paras:
    A Paras has parasitic tochukaso mushrooms growing on its back. They grow by drawing nutrients from the host. They are valued as a medicine for long life.

    Though technically not originated from the 'grass' itself, Paras is still a source for medicine.

    Also, the BW dex entry for Pansage states that the leaves growing on Pansage's head is good for relieving stress, and the green monkey shares them with weary-looking pokemon.

    I have no proof they are actually cultivated for medicine, but they certainly can be the source of a few. There are other Grass-types with hints in dex entries that part of them are 'edible', so it might be a good idea to check the dex.

    Minor note, but I think we might have forgotten banana's grow on Tropius neck XD

  13. #13
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    As far as i know Ash never directly answered to N question persay, but when explaining on his views on pokemon when being trapped under ruins considering them as his friends which live and work together as partners wanting to move together forward and learn more about themselves have made N realize how strong bond there exists between them. When he witnessed how all of Ash pokemon worked together to have them get out wanting themselves to be there for Ash and not because he wants to and how not all people are selfish using pokemon just to fulfill their needs living together as team. Or something similar, can't remember exact dialogue.

    Regarding other subject involving Cilan and doubt in his cooking abilities, well as far as we know there is no reliable proof how he always prepare only meals based on vegetarian nutrition. Given how just because we saw him always preparing salad sandwiches on screen doesn't necessarily omit possibillity of Cilan preparing fish or meat regardless of never being showed. Along with not all of people in pokeworkd being vegetarians.

    If past was something to go by with Ash, Misty and Brock, Jessie, James, May etc being showedd to eat meatballs, spaghetti with what appeared to be meat souce, fish, even burgers with especially Ash drooling over them.
    Now in older series it was implied and mentioned on several occasions how along with pokemon, their world also has real animals which are presumably eated and while with newer sagas this was gradually removed lack of references to real animals can also be pertained in not having any relevance to series plot anymore with writers not having need to provide links to such things anymore.

    Although judging on Ash and Brock fantasy of eating Msgikarp, Farfetched being referenced as culinary delicacy leading to almost being extincted or steaks showded on few occasions which could very well come from Tauros, Miltank and similar pokemon would imply how pokemon are indeed used as food too.

  14. #14
    Registered User Hex Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Did Ash ever answer "N"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    IAnd on an unrelated note, how can Cilan be considered a chef in a world of vegetarians?
    As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm confused and frankly a little annoyed by your question.
    I agree. There's so much more to vegetarianism than just making simplistic veggie sandwiches.
    Not to mention Cilan is a specialist in Grass-types. There are plenty of Grass-type pokemons that provide a lot of food sources and herbal medicine and Cilan would obviously be aware of that.
    Just out of curiosity, do we have some kind of canon backup that herbal medicines can be provided by Grass types? If not (and you just came up with it) would you mind if I used the idea in a fic I'm writing?
    snip
    Thanks! I seemed to remember it from somewhere but I wasn't sure if my mind made it up, since I don't collect many grass-types in the games or anything. It makes sense, actually.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •