Did anyone else feel like "Season 2" of Best Wishes was the weakest part of this gen? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Did anyone else feel like "Season 2" of Best Wishes was the weakest part of this gen?

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Did anyone else feel like "Season 2" of Best Wishes was the weakest part of this

Weakest Part of this Generation?

Hell, it may just be the Weakest Part of the Anime all together! O_O
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did anyone else feel like "Season 2" of Best Wishes was the weakest part of this

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post

Nah that honor still goes to the second Johto season, "Johto league champions."

That season still gives me nightmares.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post

Nah that honor still goes to the second Johto season, "Johto league champions."

That season still gives me nightmares.
    Comparing those two seasons is like comparing two Twilight books with each other.
    SammyW27, Shinneth, Yato and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

For the love of Mike yes!! For once I freakin agree with you on every thing you just said. Though, I do disagree about Johto being worse as while that did have a lot of fillers it at least had comedy to back it up and the league was ten times better than the BW League, ok far better million times better UGH!!

-What was the point of Virgil? He didn't even get to fight Ash, they mine as well had that one guy win instead who actually fought him but no!! Advertisement boy had to win.

-Kid with an IQ of a rock beat Ash with an evolution YAY!!

-Trip got kicked out early in the league, it was like the writers really felt the same as a lot of the fandom didXD

-Why put the Iris arc in before the league? Made no sense.

-Freakin Axew filler in the middle of the league.

-Champion Cup UGH!! Iris making it all the way with her Dragonite like that was just horrible, how is it only Ash gets punishments for Pokemon not listening to him yet others get a free pass?

-Dawn being defeated by Iris Dragonite, wow!!

-Team Rocket arc being only two episodes.

Over all, BW in my opinion has been horrible but BW2 made it ten times worse which is well...I can't wait to get out of this series, onto the next I say.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Well, yes.

- Dawn's "cameo". Half of the time she was in the background, and it felt like it served no purpose, unlike Misty's two cameos to introduce Togetic and May's cameo to give Dawn confidence and introduce Glaceon, and Dawn had abseloutly no Pokémon changes in her team whatsoever, unlike May, who had a Glaceon, and I think Misty had Azurill, and Dawn had only mostly Piplup and Mamoswine used.

- Cameron. Introduced right after the Junior Cup as a moron who thought the Junior Cup was in ECRUTEAK CITY, who only had 7 gym badges at the time, WAS A TOTAL FUCKING MORON, BEAT MARLON, AND BEAT ASH SOMEHOW...WITH 5 Pokémon. I previously said before that this was possible because Cameron had 5 Pokémon only, yet he had a WATCHOG, SO HOW HE BEAT ASH IS JUST FUCKING ODD. AT LEAST HE LOST TO VIRGIL.

- Iris's handling. Okay, yes, but she gained a Dragonite...somehow...and beat Dawn...somehow...and lost to Ash. Good, we also got some closure to her story, but other than that, it felt like everyone else's stories was shoveled aside for her story. It was meh, but contributed HEAVILY to Best Wishes 2's failure.

- Virgil. He didn't even battle Ash, yet he was introduced as a League rival. Other than the merch, of course! This series is all about the merchandise! What's next, Pokemon: The Flamethrower?It didn't help he won the league WITH A TEAM OF EEVEES.

- And finally, the hyping. When Masuda hyped for X and Y, we got something big - the next gen Pokémon games. When Corocoro and Pokémon Fan hyped up Best Wishes 2, we also expected something big - we got shit. When someone hypes, we get big stuff, not this time. Sad.

Due to all this, we can compare this series to S1 with words from the Angry Video Game Nerd - "It's like comparing a dead skunk to a dead skunk with a little salt". May not be exact, and I mean the dead skunk part for Best Wishes 2.

If the writers screw up with Episode N, I can officially declare the writers worse than New!Spongebob's writers.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Technically this is still "Season 2." There is just a new tagline: "Episode N" underneath the title.

But if one really wants to make an assessment of BW084-BW108, I can agree that most of the episodes were lackluster.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 19th January 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

I agree with this whole hardily. I sort of fell out of love with the series thanks to this season of repeated disappointments. Maybe Episode N will fix this (still didn't watch the first episode)

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji-girl View Post
    I agree with this whole hardily. I sort of fell out of love with the series thanks to this season of repeated disappointments. Maybe Episode N will fix this (still didn't watch the first episode)
    To be fair the warning signs of BW not living up to potential started with the 4th Gym episode, with Ash being out of character in his fight with Elesa. The gen was still early back then so we had "high hopes" for the future because we didn't actually know how the rest of the saga would play out yet. But looking back at it now...yeah.

Johto gets a lot of dislike because of the bad fillers, but its actually BW's plot episodes that's screwing over this series. The fillers themselves are actually decent.

Blog Entries

I'll reply your post because I disagree with some of your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Best Wishes were split into three parts, "Season 1," then, "Season 2," and now, "Episode N." Since Season 2 just recently ended, anyone else find that to be the weakest portion so far? Episode N is part of Season 2, although I find understandable why doesn't appear to be Season 2

In retrospect I feel like this is when people truly felt that Best Wishes went downhill: Well, I see

- Dawn's cameo felt pointless and added nothing really. Dawn could have come back for something more interesting for her token cameo. Dawn's cameo was bad written only because the way that the PWT was handled. Until the PWT the cameo was fine.Also, Ash didn't know that Cyndaquil evolved (and the fans that watch dubs didn't see Quilava yet); this is a change of her team after all. At least, it isn't like May that the fans overhyped the team only because the Wallace Cup cameo.

- The Junior Cup was awful, and consisted of nothing more than Trip glorification and Dragonite glorification, but at least Ash took it down with his Krok. Making Trip up to be such a threat when his role in the league was minor was ridiculous. The reason why the PWT Junior Cup weas bad is who was ignored in it. Change Dawn for Bianca, give Bianca an Ice-type and give her fighting Dragonite. The PWT was a tournament meant to show Iris, Trip and a way, Ash.

- Dragonite itself was mishandled. Dragonite was better each episode that the dragon gets screentime. Dragonoite has a lot of developement about Iris. And remember that Dragonite serves two purposes in the show: being a marketing plush, and more important, showcase that in the games Iris is Champion.

- Kotetsu was probably the worst handled rival in the entire saga, which is mind blowing when you think about it. Virgil is handdled worse than Kotetsu. At least, we saw Kotetsu battling three times on-screen. Compare that with Virgil.

- The Marlon Gym battle was forgettable. In Best Wishes, unlike Diamond & Pearl, the Gym battles where Ash isn't getting any badge are really short and simple. And they use 2 and not 3 pokemon unless Ash will also battle but it will be way shorter than Ash's battle itself. The purpose of the episode was Ash having chemistry with Kotetsu AND showcase Meloetta one more time until the Team Rocket arc.

- Virgil and his Eevees were COMPLETELY pointless. The Eevee team has a purpose: selling merch. And we know that Eevee merchandise won't stop because this year the Pikachu short is going to be about Eevee. And remember, the Pikachu short exist only for the purpose of marketing.

- The Unova league itself is almost entirely agreed upon to be the worst league of the entire series. Exist two problems: that the Unova League was a complete dissapointment (I need to agree) and that the fans expectations were abnormally high after the Sinnoh League. The reason why I don't think the Sinnoih League was god written is because that the Darkrai battle could make unbelievable thaty Ash will lose to a normal trainer.

- A lot of the fillers from around that time weren't memorable.
    Fillers... in Best Wishes. I thought that they were rare. the only episodes that are fillers are the Detective Cilan episode and the Tag battle team episode and the last one was interesting. The rest aof the episode aren't fillers although the plot could scream filler.

I can't help but think that "Season 2" of Best Wishes was the weakest of this saga, and the worst portion of the anime in a long time. Thankfully episode N looks a hell of a lot better. The good part of the Episode N is that we don't know where we are going. And we're seeing Team Plasma at least.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Honestly, I agree with TeddiUrsa. It was shortly after the Elesa gym battle that my own interest in Best Wishes began to wane, though I can't remember why exactly - in fact, as I write this, I'm struggling to recall a single damned thing that actually happened between Nimbasa City and the start of BW2, other than the really obvious (ie: the Donamite and the gym battles/evolutions). So, I cannot say that BW2 represented a significant step down for me, because, by that point, my expectations weren't massively high anyway (that, and I only actually caught about 5% of the episodes). :p

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Just looking at this thread and the other thread makes it clear that pretty much everyone agrees that the Ash vs Stephan battle in the Unova League was the best out of everything - be it the league arc, or Season 2 up till now. Probably THE ONLY decent episode that was worth watching. It shows how much Season 2, especially the league, overall had been very poorly written.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I couldn't agree more. BWS2 is easily my least favorite part of the BW series so far. Especially the Unova League. -_-

I actually surprisingly liked BWS1, but the BW2 saga was just frustrating to watch. The only part I did like about it was Operation Tempest and Dawn's return, along with Stephan vs. Ash in the League. Yep.

Though I do think BWS1 started to get worse when Ash went to get his Pokemon in the Nimbasa City Gym Battle (aka start of BW: Rival Destinies, but it wasn't until BWS2 that I was actually sorely disappointed with the writing- though the battle against Roxie was just terribly written for BWS1).

I'm liking the Episode N arc from what I've seen of it's first episode, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 19th January 2013 at 09:43 PM.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

meh...

only the league was pretty weak but that was it. Little boring yes, but not as boring as DP-second half...
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

It was the worst thing I've seen on TV since Viva Laughlin.

Blog Entries

It was Ok, Could have been a little bit better and a few better episodes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast