Could May have won the Johto Grand Festival?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Could May have won the Johto Grand Festival?

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

Default Could May have won the Johto Grand Festival?

One dissapointing thing about DP was not getting to find out how May got on. I'll asume that she, Drew, Harley and Soladad all made it to the grand festival, but how do we think they all did?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Could May have won the Johto Grand Festival?

She may have won, but I am not sure if we will ever know that. But I suppose we will, eventually.
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.

Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

追放されたバカ

Doubt we will ever know. Doubt she won it though. If she had they would have shown it surely? Also she was shown in the Wallace cup being inferior to Dawn, who came 2nd in her own Grand Festival. Assuming the Sinnoh Grand Festival and Johto are proportional in terms of strong competitors, and equally hard to get into, I would guess May came slightly lower than 2nd, I think she would make the Top 4.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Considering Solidad was shown to be far more advanced than most of the other coordinators, she probably didn't beat her. So no.

I don't see why it matters now, it's not like we'll ever find out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Considering Solidad was shown to be far more advanced than most of the other coordinators, she probably didn't beat her. So no.
    But, isn't she already a Top Coordinator, thus won't have to compete in another Grand Festival again? I really don't know how it works, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Even though I'd like to think that May won the Grand Festival, I must say no. She probably made it to the Top 2 or Top 4, but I still think she has a way to go before she'll actually win, but judging wouldn't really be fair either since I haven't seen her journey throughout Johto. She could have went through a hell lot of growth and development, which in that case would justify a victory in the Grand Festival.

I don't know, but we'll probably never find out either, unfortunately.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Trophies

The producers used May going to Johto as a good way of replacing may with a new partner for ash, because of this it was never really a storyline that was or will be followed, so no we wont know. Even if may makes another appearance, I doubt it will be mentioned...

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Chiplet;4306239]
    They purposely said Solidad was going to Johto too. Unlike Dawn's rivals, the writers made sure all of May's rivals stuck together.

She may have won a Grand Festival but why would a coordinator stop there? She'll probably want to win one in every region.

Blog Entries

They purposely said Solidad was going to Johto too. Unlike Dawn's rivals, the writers made sure all of May's rivals stuck together.

She may have won a Grand Festival but why would a coordinator stop there? She'll probably want to win one in every region.
    Well, wanting to win another Grand Festival is perfectly reasonable to me, although I always thought that after winning a Grand Festival you'd automatically become a Top Coordinator. I must've misunderstood.

Then, how do you really become a Top Coordinator? Do you have to win a GF in each region?
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Nobody knows and I doubt the writers will ever care to explain. Contests are off the show now its obvious we'll never get a follow up on how May or Dawn did in their respective Grand Festivals.

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    Doubt we will ever know. Doubt she won it though. If she had they would have shown it surely? Also she was shown in the Wallace cup being inferior to Dawn, who came 2nd in her own Grand Festival. Assuming the Sinnoh Grand Festival and Johto are proportional in terms of strong competitors, and equally hard to get into, I would guess May came slightly lower than 2nd, I think she would make the Top 4.
    However, May beat Zoey who was the one to beat Dawn, there are all kinds of variables. Not that I think we'll ever find out but I reckon May could have, she may not have even battled against Drew and the others during the festival, they may have been beaten by other trainers, but I soppose to win, we must assume she can beat the strongest who would be Soladad, I guess.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If her cameo during Wallace Cup was any indication to go by, she had pretty good chance at winning it. We can see May improved a lot during her travels ever since she left cast, which can be noticed in several evolutions like Venusaur, Wartortle or Glaceon going all the way to finals in tournament until she narrowly lost to Dawn.

Her appeals got improved, as well battling skills and i wouldn't be surprised if she managed to go all way through winning whole thing. Or at least coming as runner up.

We already saw she is capable of defeating her rivals, except Solidad and with further improvement i say its not impossible to presume this. Whenever May returns again, i wish we get some info about her journey in Johto, because winning GF is pretty big deal to ignore it.

Nobody knows and I doubt the writers will ever care to explain. Contests are off the show now its obvious we'll never get a follow up on how May or Dawn did in their respective Grand Festivals.
    If you win Grand Festival you become top coordinator of that specific region, and as far as i can tell that is how Dawn mom became Sinnoh top coordinator. Along with Solidad and Zoey.

However if you want to become top coordinator worldwide, or even becoming master in this calling like Wallace did i presume you need to win GF from every region. Which is probably Solidad aim, explaining why she continued on.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    Just because Dawn defeated May in the Wallace Cup doesn't mean that May was inferior to Dawn. Their match was ridiculously close and May was using her Glaceon, her least experienced Pokemon out of her team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet
    Well, wanting to win another Grand Festival is perfectly reasonable to me, although I always thought that after winning a Grand Festival you'd automatically become a Top Coordinator. I must've misunderstood.

Then, how do you really become a Top Coordinator? Do you have to win a GF in each region?
    I'm actually pretty sure that you become a Top Coordinator after winning a Grand Festival. That's how they've described previous winners of Grand Festivals, like Zoey. Though, they would only be Top Coordinators of the region where they won the Grand Festival, if I recall correctly. They never mentioned that you have to win a Grand Festival in each region in order to become a Top Coordinator.

Anyway, I think it's entirely possible that May could have won the Johto Grand Festival. She already had three ribbons when we last saw her and she did seem like she improved quite nicely since the Battle Frontier saga, so May winning the Johto Grand Festival would have been believable. I could see her either getting into the top four again or getting into the finals, but I think that she could have won as well. It's a shame that we may never know for sure since I would have liked to hear about how May was doing after she left. A brief mention in the middle or near the end of DP would have been nice, but all we can do is just speculate about how she did and where she would go after the Johto Grand Festival.
    Midorikawa likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    If you win Grand Festival you become top coordinator of that specific region, and as far as i can tell that is how Dawn mom became Sinnoh top coordinator. Along with Solidad and Zoey.

However if you want to become top coordinator worldwide, or even becoming master in this calling like Wallace did i presume you need to win GF from every region. Which is probably Solidad aim, explaining why she continued on.
    Quite frankly, I don't really see the difference.

They never stated that Johanna was only a Top Coordinator in Sinnoh only, they just said she was a Top Coordinator. Besides, what would be the difference in being a Top Coordinator worldwide than in only one region? It's not like you'll get to battle other Top Coordinators, you'll just rush through the exact same Ribbon-collecting journey again. So, a Coordinator who won a Grand Festival in all regions doesn't necessarily have to be stronger than a Top Coordinator who only won in one region, considering that they'll still be battling people on the same level as the previous GF regardless of where you travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I'm actually pretty sure that you become a Top Coordinator after winning a Grand Festival. That's how they've described previous winners of Grand Festivals, like Zoey. Though, they would only be Top Coordinators of the region where they won the Grand Festival, if I recall correctly. They never mentioned that you have to win a Grand Festival in each region in order to become a Top Coordinator
    My thoughts exactly. Winning one Grand Festival should be enough in order to become a Top Coordinator. The reason to why I think Wallace got so much more attention than other Top Coordinators could possibly be because of him being the Hoenn Champion too. I doubt he travelled around in every region winning Grand Festival after Grand Festival, especially since we once saw one shot of him holding the Ribbon Cup. If he had entered and won more Grand Festivals, they'd surely give us a couple of more pictures of him holding other regions' Ribbon Cup.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post

Quite frankly, I don't really see the difference.

They never stated that Johanna was only a Top Coordinator in Sinnoh only, they just said she was a Top Coordinator. Besides, what would be the difference in being a Top Coordinator worldwide than in only one region? It's not like you'll get to battle other Top Coordinators, you'll just rush through the exact same Ribbon-collecting journey again. So, a Coordinator who won a Grand Festival in all regions doesn't necessarily have to be stronger than a Top Coordinator who only won in one region, considering that they'll still be battling people on the same level as the previous GF regardless of where you travel.
    Yes but they said she was top coordinator from Sinnoh, and it was stated both in Hoenn and DP how winning Grand Festival makes you top coordinator as Hidden Mew already pointed out with Solidad, Zoey etc being described as such.

About entering other regions and trying to win other Grand Festivals, im pretty sure that's more challenging and harder task to accomplish than winning just one GF from specific region. Its already hard enough to collect all ribbons and win one GF, let alone trying to win them in each region requiring great deal of skill and experience. Which with itself pulls higher reputation and recognition in world of coordinators.

Its same with pokemon leagues.

Solidad obviously has higher motivations than being top coordinator of only Hoenn, and if there doesn't exist way to advance yourself and rank up after you win on Grand Festival i doubt she would ever went to Johto.
    Wallace pretty much showed how there exists more to it being only contest master so far, and he is probably strongest coordinator currently in world.

Moe
    Blog Entries

"Hey Ash, I just got a call from May - Wallace is holding another Pokemon Contest, this time in Johto!" - two birds, one stone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast