Could Gary Appear? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Could Gary Appear?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Could Gary Appear?

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post

The problem with that is that to "complete" a character's development, they're going to need a lot more than a cameo appearance- they'll need an actual role in the storyline. That's not something likely to happen if Gary comes back just because of that line in the games, leaving him with a cameo that can't provide much for him.

And I do feel Gary's wrapped up by the standards of this show, at least.
    Chapter of being Ash rival has been mainly closed down, but his new ambition of becoming pokemon researcher following grandfasther footsteps created new direction through which character can be explored, build upon and gain some valuable growth.

Something which such unknown and new concept like mega evolution allows to be done perfectly tying into new life path Gary choosed to follow and way to learn more himself, gather new knowledge about whole process behind pokemon experiencing such power boost informing other scientists and professors from other regions with discoveries he made. While utilizing his acquired knowledge and skills as battler through Blastoise or some other pokemon leading toward their mega evolution getting from first hand insight in whole process and secrets through his own pokemon along with playing vital role in story be it by battling Team Flare, Ash or contributing to story in some other way.

I certauinly don' see anything wrong in Ash and friends story clashing sometime bumping into each other, rekindling friendship, meet new companions and go in same direction gathering new experience, forming new friendships and developing their stories.

Regardless of all new characters we get, there is no reason in my opinion to forget about previous ones like Gary in this case and do more with those you started your work about coming back when their presence could help push things forward while gaining benefit themselves through it.
    There is no justification to erase them forever like they never existed, because that way your only damaging series reputation and credibility instead of making it appealing to all kind of fans making people happy of their favorites not being abandoned enjoying in their personalities, pokemon and new stuff made with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi Da Ze View Post
    Depends on what you consider 'complete'.

Shigeru DID develop from Kanto to the conclusion of Joutou's League. His behavior matured completely from his Kanto counterpart. And it developed further when he decided to stop competing. If we had to keep saying all those characters getting developed further, their stories would never end.
    We already have Satoshi's never ending journey. We don't need them to bring up everyone else's all the time.
    What we needed to know about Shigeru was already concluded. So was Kasumi's, Takeshi's, Haruka's, Shinji's and Hikari's.
    To be fair just because character went through some developoment doesn't mean he couldn't develop further or how we learned everything we needed about someone. That depends on viewer experience, did he received required amount of growth so that we could look back and say how his time on show brought him clodser toward avhievement of his ambitions accomplishing something significant enough and how much we wanted to see someone fleshed out.
    For instance i felt with May we didn't got enough fleshing as we could never seeing her develop her own contest style stepping out from Ash shadow having unfinished business with rivals, room left to improve as coordinator which could lead her toward top coordinator title etc.
    With Misty her water master career was unexplored, so was her admiration toward Lorelei, there was left more to be done with pokemon team and skills as trainer learning to use them in most optimal way(like weakness to electruc, psyduck etc), explore on backstory, her fears, flaws and what motivated her in wanting to become water master . Ending unfinished with lot more left to be done.

Gary may have matured, but he is by anime standards relatively green character having more to offer and learn as person, develop his skills as reseasrcher and build his own reputation and glory as Oak grandson. He certainly isn't something i would call as character used to its full potential if you ask me.
    He is still present within same continuity and universe with connection to prof. Oak always making him relevant to series to some degree. Especially as Ash childhood friend playing important role in main protagonist history along with posession of pokermon which can mega evolve giving him again marketing value to become relevant and promote something.

I have nothing against sequels personally , as long they're executed in believable and proper manner.

No one story in this show was concluded anyway persay having unfulfilled dreams and ambitions, they were just replaced with some quickly made plotline to have them send of the cast and make room for whatever number of new characters were gonna get following repetitive, never ending cycle.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 21st October 2013 at 06:20 AM.

Lis
    Blog Entries

Despite how much i'd love to see Gary back, since he was Ash's first nemesis and as far as we've seen, in the anime all Ash's rivals end up contributing to his personal growth in some way at the end of each season, (even though he might seem to forget about those lessons in the following saga) and he was the first to inspire in Ash a strong wish to prove himself that he could overcome anything; and beat anyone.
    Shigeru DID develop from Kanto to the conclusion of Joutou's League. His behavior matured completely from his Kanto counterpart. And it developed further when he decided to stop competing. If we had to keep saying all those characters getting developed further, their stories would never end.
    I agree with you on the fact that his "role" in the anime was decently closed, but i don't think that yet another rival is the answer.
    Another different rival who makes Ash's blood boil once or twice will be another uneccesary cliché, whereas an old rival that comes back could be a new; striking change in the series (not to mention that some flashbacks of the episodes would be shown, adding a deeper sense of complexity and showing the deepnes that a true rivalry between two people should actually have) Yes, making Gary grow more as a character might not be the answer, but i sincerely believe that his alredy moderatly "developed" character could be a great impact in the series. We would have in front of us an old rival of Ash's that decides to get out of the desk and return to the "action" (wheter it be in order to help him or not) Thanks to Gary's occupation, is easy for him to re-appear anytime. I think it would be worthful to show contradiction between Gary's instincts: a certain dubious ambiguity between his fighting senses calling him back in order to help (or not) an old friend-rival from long ago; and his now well-trained researcher senses' that keep on telling him not to go (because he's not certain if he can even go, or how urgent is the call for help, etc. Anything of the sort)
    In my opinion; as he would obviously choose to follow his heart, this could also leave a thrilling impression on the viewers, that Pokemon is something; some kind of feeling, strong enough for you to leave everything behind and follow your instincts alongside little aliens with powers- I remember quiet well that that was what it was all about back then, and it would most positively attract more viewers (who could forget Ash hugging Pikachu while being electrocuted, out of pure determination? however that is not to be mentioned now)
    Instead of adding new faces that could pretty much be forgotten in the next season, to bring old ones back but with better plots and storyline would be more diverting. Dragon Ball showed the same "faces" (in terms of principal characters) all along and it still is one of the "faces" of the anime.
    However, Even though Gary could most surely appear again on screen, the odds are not in its favour.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy210 View Post
    Okay so I'm not sure if some have seen this yet, but there's a guy in one of the Pokemon centers who talks about Professor Oak's grandson being in Kalos and as we all know, this is Gary. This might be a small detail, but do you think the writers will take this and end up using this so Ash can meet up with his old rival? A large part of me is hoping to see him return and catch up on how his research has been going since we've last seen him in Sinnoh.
    No. No it's not. It's Blue Oak, Gary's game counterpart who is a very different character.

One reference to Blue does not mean Gary will show up.
    I thought his official name was Green Oak? Blue is Red's girl companion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis View Post
    Despite how much i'd love to see Gary back, since he was Ash's first nemesis and as far as we've seen, in the anime all Ash's rivals end up contributing to his personal growth in some way at the end of each season, (even though he might seem to forget about those lessons in the following saga) and he was the first to inspire in Ash a strong wish to prove himself that he could overcome anything; and beat anyone.
    I agree with you on the fact that his "role" in the anime was decently closed, but i don't think that yet another rival is the answer.
    Another different rival who makes Ash's blood boil once or twice will be another uneccesary cliché, whereas an old rival that comes back could be a new; striking change in the series (not to mention that some flashbacks of the episodes would be shown, adding a deeper sense of complexity and showing the deepnes that a true rivalry between two people should actually have) Yes, making Gary grow more as a character might not be the answer, but i sincerely believe that his alredy moderatly "developed" character could be a great impact in the series. We would have in front of us an old rival of Ash's that decides to get out of the desk and return to the "action" (wheter it be in order to help him or not) Thanks to Gary's occupation, is easy for him to re-appear anytime. I think it would be worthful to show contradiction between Gary's instincts: a certain dubious ambiguity between his fighting senses calling him back in order to help (or not) an old friend-rival from long ago; and his now well-trained researcher senses' that keep on telling him not to go (because he's not certain if he can even go, or how urgent is the call for help, etc. Anything of the sort)
    In my opinion; as he would obviously choose to follow his heart, this could also leave a thrilling impression on the viewers, that Pokemon is something; some kind of feeling, strong enough for you to leave everything behind and follow your instincts alongside little aliens with powers- I remember quiet well that that was what it was all about back then, and it would most positively attract more viewers (who could forget Ash hugging Pikachu while being electrocuted, out of pure determination? however that is not to be mentioned now)
    Instead of adding new faces that could pretty much be forgotten in the next season, to bring old ones back but with better plots and storyline would be more diverting. Dragon Ball showed the same "faces" (in terms of principal characters) all along and it still is one of the "faces" of the anime.
    However, Even though Gary could most surely appear again on screen, the odds are not in its favour.
    No, just no. I don't comprehend this logic at all.
    If you want a new direction for an old face the anime has a wide repertory of characters that were poorly handled or unfinished for you to pick, but out of all of them you think it is a good idea to risk one of the few that had a good closure?
    It is a risky gamble where you have too much to lose and too little to win. Did you ever watch a masterpiece that you thought it couldn't be any better, but then someone decided to stretch it with unnecessary sequels and ended up spoiling the overall image of the work? The same logic also works in a lesser scale, it is called "don't fix what is not broken".
    Satoshi Da Ze likes this.

Lis
    Blog Entries

No, just no. I don't comprehend this logic at all.
    If you want a new direction for an old face the anime has a wide repertory of characters that were poorly handled or unfinished for you to pick, but out of all of them you think it is a good idea to risk one of the few that had a good closure?
    Oh no, certainly not, i would rather have Misty back, but we are talking about Gary's comeback, how would it be plausible and how could it contribute to the developing of the series. Which is why, if it were to happen, i think that that's what could be done with him in the series, and that's how could he contribute to the anime.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Lis.

I fail to see whats wrong about doing sequel to story of well liked and popular character either. This case Gary, especially when new direction in life as pokemon researcher opened whole new potential and multiple ways through which writers could have him play valuable role in series again, provide more references and flashbacks to past treating pokemon as continuity based story where previous characters and impact they left on main protragonist and story matters in longer run, where their stories and development they receive isnt abandoned continuing to exist within same time line and universe with fruits of their labour and changes they experienced leading them somewhere.

Providing way for audience to see those they like updated, refreshed and in action again and in what new, unexpected directions their lives might take them.

Just because Gary "had its time" years ago, would it really be necessarily bad to extend such time and give him more development taking character forward?

I don't know about others in here but argument of "someone being done, he got closure" it is rather artificial and weak excuse. Because this in no way stops writers from doing continuation of someone story in case they decide to develop character/pokemon more than what they originally intended.
    If there exist enough time and space in future to give more growth to previous characters which are revived and made relevant again im all for make good use of it developing him more.
    Otherwise by being against it we are consciously advocating for character potential to advance and evolve end up wasted and ignored which just damage integrity of character itself and his storyline denying him from making step forward and be given more substance.

Here is few examples of how his return could contribute to story, have him develop further and bring something fresh and exciting to plot:
    -as its known Gary posess quite a few pokemon with potential of mega evolvoing(like Blastoise or Scizor) opening way for character to gain marketing vakue and showcase new game feature through them

-his career of researcher allows writers to bring him in whatever new region they want with purpose of learning new things, gathering various type of information and apply his by now acquired knopwledge in new situations.
    Especially in field of mega evolution which is completely undiscovered and new concept offering ton of material from which Gary could learn about its origins, secrets and requirements pokemon needs to have fulfilled allowing to go through such immense power boost.
    Affinity toward research of fossil types as displayed in chronicles with Aerodactyl givies him perfect justification to travel to Kalos and research about its upgraded form while supplying his grandfather with valuable new info.

-we could see Gary playing role in battling Team Flare organization messing up their plans of using potential of mega evolution for malefic purposes, be involved with Yveltal or Xeernas plot, even battle Ash for old time sake triggering mega evolution of one of his pokemon.

-Gary appearance could bring more continuity into show, provide insight to Ash past and history increasing storyline credibility and amount of growth or impact previous characters or events left on it.
    Add more excitement to plot and character dynamic through unexpected return and new twist his presence would bring to series making people appreciate such gestures increasing their interest toward show.

Sequels of character growth if done right can often be thrilling and enjoyable to follow and many other shows out there like DBZ in past, Naruto, Inazuma Eleven etc, etc do such things maintaining connection to past, keeping previous characters frelevant taking them in new directions instead of ending abandoned with unfinished stories and wasted potential making plot thx to their presence and timeline of storytelling more diverting, complex and enjoyable to follow.

If anything return of older characters is exactly what this show needs to maintain connection with past and bide together all sagas Ash traveled through creating brand through which loyalty among fans can be ensured to stay hooked on it.
    Adding more substance to story and creativity through new, unexpected twists such surprises bring to show shaking up stricture of anime and making it moe thrilling to follow.

Afterall if pokemon is treated as entotiy based story set in same universe following journey of same protagonist(Ash) its only fair and makes sense that those which were part of this story and contributed to it continue to exist acknowledging their existence and stories doing continuation and update making it seem like plots in their stories and growth they experienced, impact they left and presence in series in first place meant something leaving influence on storyline in longer run, instead of discarding everything and everyone erasing them from face of existence.

Which is bad strategy undermining credibility, reputation and quality of show itself.
    Lis likes this.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knightlite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy210 View Post
    Okay so I'm not sure if some have seen this yet, but there's a guy in one of the Pokemon centers who talks about Professor Oak's grandson being in Kalos and as we all know, this is Gary. This might be a small detail, but do you think the writers will take this and end up using this so Ash can meet up with his old rival? A large part of me is hoping to see him return and catch up on how his research has been going since we've last seen him in Sinnoh.
    No. No it's not. It's Blue Oak, Gary's game counterpart who is a very different character.

One reference to Blue does not mean Gary will show up.
    I thought his official name was Green Oak? Blue is Red's girl companion.
    ...I'm talking about the games, not Pokemon Adventures.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Inb4 Gary as the League rival :D

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably not, but who are we to say for sure? But the only possible way I can see that happening would be for something he would need in Kalos for his research.

Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

Considering Blue appeared in person in Black 2 and White 2, while Gary only got a flashback cameo during Best Wishes; I don't think Gary would get an appearence on XY due to Blue being mentioned in-game...
    It doesn't matter if you aren't going to reach the goal, as long as you're still happy doing the trajectory.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

It doesn't seem too likely to me. One reference to Blue doesn't really guarantee that Gary could appear in the anime. It's not impossible and Gary wanting to study Mega Evolution could work as an excuse to bring him back for a cameo, but I don't think that this reference makes it any more likely to happen.

This is probably just speculation, but I've noticed a pattern over the years:

-Gary appeared in the Indigo series
    -Did not appear in Orange Islands
    -Appeared in Johto as primary rival
    -Did not appear in Hoenn (with the exception of his Chronicles episode and Ash's battle with him before Sinnoh)
    -Made several appearances in Sinnoh, and even played a significant role in the Galactic arc
    -Did not appear in Unova

^Following that pattern, it would be awesome if he could appear! I could see him very interested in studying Mega-evolutions and gaining inspiration from Professor Sycamore. It would be interesting to see how he reacts to Ash's new clan of companions, especially if he recognizes Serena.
    "It was perfect, beautiful, like something someone with an overreactive imagination would dream up in her unfulfilled fantasies." -Jessie, The Heartbreak of Brock

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didn't Gary say he wanted to study Pokemon Evolutions at the end of the original series?

If so, he could be interested in Mega Evolution. But since the writing staff has changed since the OS, it seems unlikely that Gary will be brought up in XY.

Blog Entries

I'm curious what eye color he'll have. Green most likely.

Blog Entries

We've already seen the new color of his eyes from the last episode of BW.
    gary-retconned-eyes.png

Anyway, I'd be happy to see Gary appear again.
    Yato likes this.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast