Could Gary Appear?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Gary Appear?

Turning over a new leaf KaiTheAirbender's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Could Gary Appear?

Okay so I'm not sure if some have seen this yet, but there's a guy in one of the Pokemon centers who talks about Professor Oak's grandson being in Kalos and as we all know, this is Gary. This might be a small detail, but do you think the writers will take this and end up using this so Ash can meet up with his old rival? A large part of me is hoping to see him return and catch up on how his research has been going since we've last seen him in Sinnoh.
    "You think you can kidnap Jinora and all these baby bisons!? >:U"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Could Gary Appear?

I don't see any reason why not. There's bound to be SOMETHING for him to research with the ridiculously huge regional dex Kalos has. I'd love to see Gary again! :)
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

Turning over a new leaf KaiTheAirbender's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios View Post
    I don't see any reason why not. There's bound to be SOMETHING for him to research with the ridiculously huge regional dex Kalos has. I'd love to see Gary again! :)
    The major thing I could see Gary researching is probably Mega Evolution
    "You think you can kidnap Jinora and all these baby bisons!? >:U"

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

I hope they actually take advantage of that! I'd love to see gary again.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy210 View Post
    Okay so I'm not sure if some have seen this yet, but there's a guy in one of the Pokemon centers who talks about Professor Oak's grandson being in Kalos and as we all know, this is Gary. This might be a small detail, but do you think the writers will take this and end up using this so Ash can meet up with his old rival? A large part of me is hoping to see him return and catch up on how his research has been going since we've last seen him in Sinnoh.
    FOR SRS IS THIS REAL?!

Must see the anime ♥ Garyyy ♥

He'd probably appear researching something new in Kalos, but I wouldn't mind if he came back as a rival again.
    Pokemon Protagonist Mafia - Accepting Subs (click the pic!)

Seems to me anime never misses out on a chance to bring Gary back, since he's he's talk about in the games I'd say odds are pretty high. It's been a while, I look forward to it :)
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

How do you know they are referring to gary and not say Yrag Kao from the one time Oak smoked some crystal from a Malamar and was transported into the world of OtanK?

It would be a waste if they don't use this opportunity to have Gary make appearances in XY. I would really like to see how Serena and Gary interact with each other (Assuming that the two knew each other during their childhood).
    "The strongest Pokémon... Is this... the fulfillment of my dream?" --Dr. Fuji
    Brock: And I decided I want you to be my partner!
    Girl: What?!

I thought people hated his last appearances.

I think it would be nice.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy210 View Post
    No. No it's not. It's Blue Oak, Gary's game counterpart who is a very different character.

One reference to Blue does not mean Gary will show up.

I don't think the anime strictly follows little things in the games like that. Maybe he'll show, but it's not guaranteed.

Personally, I don't care. Gary is a completely developed character who already quit his journeys and more or less finished his old rivalry with Ash. Futher appearences of him wouldn't bring something new, it only works as nostalgia bait.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its certainly possibility. Not only because of being referenced through in new games through his game counterpart, but also because of his role of researcher npowaday makes him mobile and versatile character which can easily return in any region. Since from story standpoint writers could just send him to whatever region they want with purpose of discovering new species and doing field research like they did in DP.

And revelation of mega evolution is all that more of a reason for Gary to travel to Kalos and learn about its origins, secrets and what causes pokemon to go through such drastic transformation and power up of their abilities. Especially when judging by prof. Scycamore referring it as just recently discovered concept with even people native to Kalos region like Clemont not knowing about it veils whole dash of mystery on it accompanied with ton of material and potential through which someone with career of researcher could play vital part in whole story contributing in unlocking all of its mysteries. Fact of having pokemon which can mega evolve like Blastoise having already lot of experience and training behind himself sets foundation for achieving such level of power creep adding more if marketing value to Gary characer and additional justification behind comeback.
    It would be cool seeing him battle with it again.

Personally i wouldn't mind seeing Gary again because he was important part of anime history influencing Ash growth by great deal. I would like to see how much he changed, what new pokemon he may have added to his team and in what way he could contribute to current storyline. It would be certainly nice throwback to past, that's for sure.:)
    Which is desireable in some doze increasing continuity and strengthening anime storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Magma Bomb View Post
    Personally, I don't care. Gary is a completely developed character who already quit his journeys and more or less finished his old rivalry with Ash. Futher appearences of him wouldn't bring something new, it only works as nostalgia bait.
    In Pokemon i don't think there exists such thing as "completely developed character". Since its not famous for some deep character growth and complex plot to begin with.

Depending on circumstances i believe his character could add more to storyline and offer something new. Im of opinion how anyone can become vrelevant and important again if writers have creative and fresh ideas in their mind knowing how to take advantage of role he/she is currently stuck into and infiltrate it within storyline so that both series and character could gain something from it.

But i guess it depends from which angle you look at this things too.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 20th October 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Magma Bomb View Post
    In Pokemon i don't think there exists such thing as "completely developed character". Since its not famous for some deep character growth and complex plot to begin with.

Depending on circumstances i believe his character could add more to storyline and offer something new. Im of opinion how anyone can become vrelevant and important again if writers have creative and fresh ideas in their mind knowing how to take advantage of role he/she is currently stuck into and infiltrate it within storyline so that both series and character could gain something from it.

But i guess it depends from which angle you look at this things too.
    The problem with that is that to "complete" a character's development, they're going to need a lot more than a cameo appearance- they'll need an actual role in the storyline. That's not something likely to happen if Gary comes back just because of that line in the games, leaving him with a cameo that can't provide much for him.

And I do feel Gary's wrapped up by the standards of this show, at least.

Depends on what you consider 'complete'.

Shigeru DID develop from Kanto to the conclusion of Joutou's League. His behavior matured completely from his Kanto counterpart. And it developed further when he decided to stop competing. If we had to keep saying all those characters getting developed further, their stories would never end.
    We already have Satoshi's never ending journey. We don't need them to bring up everyone else's all the time.
    What we needed to know about Shigeru was already concluded. So was Kasumi's, Takeshi's, Haruka's, Shinji's and Hikari's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast