Charizard's return to the Anime. For or Against? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Charizard's return to the Anime. For or Against?

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Default Re: Charizard's return to the Anime. For or Against?

Quote Originally Posted by SatoshiKun View Post
    You mean fanservice to older fans? Because I doubt any of the kids have seen him before, except maybe on reruns.
    They can know him well from re-runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    That's obviously what I meant, yes.
    Oh? I thought writers doesn't care about us?
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Im up for it. When was last time we really saw good old lizard in action? Its been ages with his last battle happening way back in 2006 against Brandon Dusclops.

I always liked Charizard being one of my favorite pokemon from Ash team. He is definitely among stronger ones he had netting him several important wins baiting our hero out from many unfavorable situations. I still remember those epic clashes against Drake Dragonite, Clair Dratini, Gary Blastoise or Noland Articuno managing to not only stand its ground against legendary, but actually beat it.

Whole backstory of being abandoned by its trainer as Charmander warming up to Ash was endearing to see(and it started same pattern with future fire starters unfortunately). But back than this concept was fresh, new and far from being overused with his disobedience taking time to acknowledge Ash good sides being long, but enjoyable process. Only strengthening bond between trainer and pokemon all that more.

I definitely miss his hotheaded, prideful personality. Huge fighting spirit never giving up, signature way of greeting Ash and it would be interesting to see how much one of first pokemon Ash ever got improved, evolved, what new attacks and maneuvers he learned in meantime etc.

Not to mention he could prove to be of great and vital help now that N is stepping on scene, showing how strong bond there can exist between trainer and its pokemon and what positive sides this brings when looking at bigger picture.

As one of Ash original and downright iconic pokemon being there from pokemon start its welcomed to see writers acknowledging Charizard existence, giving him recognition.

Now some may say how "Charizard is overused", but character or pokemon is overused only as much as person is fed up with him. If you still manage to enjoy in pokemon or character having fond memories it wont matter to you how often you are going to see him, only bringing smile to your face when it returns after long time.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

If the writers are going to go through the trouble of bringing back a Pokemon, they're going to go with the most iconic and beloved one at their disposal. While some people may be "sick" of seeing him, he was basically the second mascot the series for a long time, and he is still easily recognizable. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint and a story standpoint, since Charizard's been shown to be one of Ash's aces since it evolved.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For, of course! Now, I am a vocally against the overuse of the species...but when you remember watching Charizard start out as that scared, abused little Charmander, evolve with Paras, and then evolve again to win a tough battle...and see it grow and develop? Yeah, Ash's Charizard is my favorite member of his team and I'm excited to see it return!
    martianmister likes this.

Moderator harryheart's Avatar Moderator

Seeing it got me quite excited!! Charizard was one of my favourite all time Pokemon, so seeing it again really did liven me up! And I'm excited to see just what might happen with his appearance and how he'll get involved in the storyline.

Also, there could well be a chance to see some of his other Pokemon, we don't know for sure, just because we didn't see them doesn't mean they won't appear!!!
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar from Serebii
    For the Banner

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SatoshiKun View Post
    You mean fanservice to older fans? Because I doubt any of the kids have seen him before, except maybe on reruns.
    They can know him well from re-runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    That's obviously what I meant, yes.
    You know, sometimes I think the writers are pandering to themselves. All of those flashbacks in DP seem kind of pointless if intended only for a few older fans. Maybe they just like bringing back old characters for themselves.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister
    They don't. But throwing in an old pokemon for nostalgia's sake is not the same thing as catering the entire series to the 20+ crowd. Very young kids are, and will always be, the main focus of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SatoshiKun
    Maybe they just like bringing back old characters for themselves.
    That too.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

His coming back? I must be really out of the anime, but seriously, I'm all for for Charizard to come back! I loved Charizard and he was once one of my favorite Pokemon on Ash's team. Really glad.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I think it's a good idea, especially since the last time we saw Charizard was when he lost to Brandon's Dusclops in the BF. He needs some redemption for that loss! JK. Cool though, despite how Charizard was overused.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm against Charizard being brought back during this arc. Aside from the fact that it has made far too many reappearances in the anime, there is absolutely little reason why Charizard would even be with Ash in Unova. Yes, it can fly across numerous regions, and Charizard is very powerful. But aside from the obvious merchandising/marketing purposes, on what grounds should it make an appearance?

And just when most of Ash's Unova pokemon barely make any screentime at all, and the others really have not changed much over the course of this series (Snivy and Oshawott in particular), the writers pulling the Charizard move means less screentime for everybody else.

I would have liked it if one of Ash's other pokemon (i.e. Gible, water-types) reappeared here.

I wouldn't mind if Ash's Charizard actually used a couple of new attacks here, however. If Charizard learns and uses Blast Burn in this arc, I'd probably be happy.

I can't believe some people are against Charizard coming back. Pikachu is there in every single episode, Charizard comes back twice every 5 years and yet some don't want him to return?

Like it or not, the writers cannot give equal attention to all of his pokemon, he simply has too many of them. Infernape and Quilava got considerable screentime not too long ago. Sceptile, Heracross, Noctowl and Donphan all battled in the Sinnoh league fairly recently. That leaves us with Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Tododile, Snorlax, Bayleef and Kingler among the candidates to bring back.

Charizard is among his first pokemon and will always be special for that reason. Bring him back and hopefully we'll get to see Squirtle too.

I don't want to see any new moves from it though. I do want to see Charizard use moves like submission and firespin, moves it hasn't used in a long time.
    martianmister likes this.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

I'm glad. Havent seen the guy for awhile. Great to see him back. One of my favorite pokemon :D
    Hoopa likes this.
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

I have mixed feelings on it. Mostly because I have trouble understanding why they're bringing back one of Satoshi's Pokemon that hasn't been seen in so long, and the story that is going to go with how Lizardon....even got to Isshu. The kids that are watching the show now probably don't even know about Lizardon's story, wouldn't be surprised if his return got a whole episode dedicated to it (that'd be nice, actually, depending on how it went.) Maybe he's just coming to help with Reshiram somehow? Maybe it has something to do with what Reshiram represents and Satoshi needs Lizardon for this for some reason?

After seeing Lizardon and Kairyu broing around in the ED though...please let this be a thing omg

Avatar drawn by me. Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Yamashita-aka-Doragon on Tumblr Visit Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hhhhdmt View Post
    I can't believe some people are against Charizard coming back. Pikachu is there in every single episode, Charizard comes back twice every 5 years and yet some don't want him to return?
    Yeah, I can't believe that too. After I stopped watching anime during AG I thought I wouldn't start watching it again...till I watched movie 3 and fell in love with Charizard.

I'm really, really happy to see him back. Really. It disappoints me how most of people seems to be against his return since I love him so much.

Quote Originally Posted by YamashitaTheWildCat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhhdmt View Post
    Yeah, I can't believe that too. After I stopped watching anime during AG I thought I wouldn't start watching it again...till I watched movie 3 and fell in love with Charizard.

I'm really, really happy to see him back. Really. It disappoints me how most of people seems to be against his return since I love him so much.
    A lot of people also want him to return. I'm rather excited about seeing him again, though I do admit that it would have been nice to also bring an underused Pokemon or one lacking development.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast