Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Who taught the best lesson?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cynthia

16 44.44%
  • Alder

12 33.33%
  • Steven

3 8.33%
  • Drake (Hoenn)

6 16.67%
  • Flint

0 0%
  • Bertha

3 8.33%
  • Lucian

5 13.89%
  • Wallace

2 5.56%
  • One not listed

6 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson?

SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson?

I suppose Cynthia has been the most hands on member, he also learnt a lot from Flint.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I suppose Cynthia has been the most hands on member, he also learnt a lot from Flint.
    True Cynthia's talk related strongly of both Ash and Paul because she even mentioned how in her past (like Paul) she would train nonstop because like Paul she thought that getting powerful was the fastest way to becoming stronger but then (like Ash) learned the importance of loving and caring about your Pokemon along with friendships and connections that we form during our lifetimes. That is why she was so understanding to them, but that tune got kind of old after awhile.

Flint was more like pre-league mentor that Ash really needed. I really liked their talks especially when Flint talked to Ash about how he won the Pokemon League.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alder. he taught us that you should not fall asleep in battle and that you should not harrass police officers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post
    Alder. he taught us that you should not fall asleep in battle and that you should not harrass police officers
    And I love how all of this was taught in ONE episode along with other valuable lessons!

Came here to vote for the obvious answer knowing blonde robots fans would vote for her instead.

Alder for the reasons other people voted for him said already.

I really have to jump on the Alder train here as well, although maybe not for the exact same reasons. It's true there was definitely an "enjoy life" factor to what he was saying, but I found him to go far past that and make Ash/Iris/Cilan much more introspective than just touching on their battle strategies or relationships to their Pokemon. He did a really good job at showing how even a Champion can be imperfect and have actual emotions (being horny, tired, hungry...), and made the gang reevaluate their abilities past just strength and "completing the requirements" of Pokemon trainers/connoisseurs. The paternal aspect to his characters and his sincereness just really made for a deeper lesson. Making Ash and co actually evaluate their journeys past the requirements sets Alder apart from the other champions/e4 members, I think.

Another piece of trivia about Adeku is that he's kind of a commentary on buddhism in the west. There were a few very well known meditation masters that moved to the USA (ex. Chögyam Trungpa), who were known to hit on women/eat a lot/party: uncommon traits of monks that are traditionally very reserved. Since Alder is definitely a "flawed enlightened" character himself, it might be a bit of a wink from the writers -- especially since Buddhism/Shinto and its interactions with the west is rooted pretty deeply in Japanese history.
    Last edited by Joshpho; 17th November 2012 at 07:23 PM.

let's go on an adventure, friend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12