Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson?

View Poll Results: Who taught the best lesson?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cynthia

16 44.44%
  • Alder

12 33.33%
  • Steven

3 8.33%
  • Drake (Hoenn)

6 16.67%
  • Flint

0 0%
  • Bertha

3 8.33%
  • Lucian

5 13.89%
  • Wallace

2 5.56%
  • One not listed

6 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson?

Blog Entries

Default Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson?

Throughout the series, we've seen Champions and E4 Members meet Ash and the gang and throughout a region have a lesson that they repeat almost to the point of wearing it down.

My question is which of these trainers taught the most valuable lesson to Ash and his friends (or rivals in some cases)?

Cynthia seemed to talk about the importance of friendship and how every encounter one being makes with another is no accident but something that will help them grow in some way.

Alder kind of branches off from her lesson and saying how it is important for people and Pokemon to enjoy life and though it is important to have goals you should never be all work and no play.

Drake (Hoenn) really taught Ash that overconfidence if both a distraction and dangerous because it causes a trainer to make mistakes that they usually wouldn't make.

Bertha talked about how a trainer should pay attention to everything on and off the battlefield. It was all about the power of observation.

Flint was all about believing in yourself and your Pokemon while also using defensive tactics to strengthen his Pokemon's skills.

Lucian talked to Dawn about teamwork between trainer and Pokemon.

Steven Stone was someone of a natural/wildlife preserver I mean he was only in one episode so that's not a lot to go on.

Wallace was about bringing out the power and beauty of a Pokemon but remembered that play time is effective in Pokemon and trainer bonding.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Champion or E4 Member in the anime taught the best lesson?

Bruno's first lesson "There is no secret! It's no secret that a strong trainer needs strong Pokemon."

Most of ones you listed are just a bunch of tastes like diabetes empty platitudes.

Bruno's lesson was very realistic and very relatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Bruno's first lesson "There is no secret! It's no secret that a strong trainer needs strong Pokemon."
    It's been a while since I last saw that episode, but didn't Bruno actually state that the most important qualities of being a trainer were empathy and mutual understanding? Or was that only the dub?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    It's been a while since I last saw that episode, but didn't Bruno actually state that the most important qualities of being a trainer were empathy and mutual understanding? Or was that only the dub?
    He said that after he captured Onix. I was talking about before that when Ash asks Bruno "What is the secret of Pokemon?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I'd say anyone who didn't give a generic teamwork message or talked about enjoying life. That leaves Drake, Bertha, and Flint.

I'd say Drake's message was the best; one thing I hated about Ash was how cocky he could get. And since he's pretty humble nowadays, it must have stook. Bertha's is the next best lesson, since Ash actually applied it in his match with Paul. (The whole seen was kind of bull, but it was awesome to see nonetheless.) And I don't think Flint's lesson was all that great, since Ash relies too much on power and speed.
    Hoopa, Duque and Bubble Frog like this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

I agree with you all, most of the people that come from the E4 and Champion League spill out the same stuff in a new way. I'd like something useful to be said from a trainer of their rank.

Heck, they probably only say that because if they gave real advice some rookie trainer would come up and beat them :p

Boulder Trainer Mikuri's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator

As a big Wallace fan, I'm kind of biased, but I truly like the lesson he taught; Trainers may become obsessed with winning and end up forgetting basic things like spend some time playing with Pokémon. I also like Lucian's lesson; Trainers must adapt themselves to their Pokémon's style, not force them to use one that doesn't suit them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikuri View Post
    As a big Wallace fan, I'm kind of biased, but I truly like the lesson he taught; Trainers may become obsessed with winning and end up forgetting basic things like spend some time playing with Pokémon. I also like Lucian's lesson; Trainers must adapt themselves to their Pokémon's style, not force them to use one that doesn't suit them.
    I agree, I just hate how the anime just shoves it down our throats. For example, Lucian's lesson was indeed a good one but the show played it out too fast. Like the episode where Ash and Dawn traded Aipom and Buizel. The entire episode just dragged it on too far. It really got old I mean I was thinking the whole time just hit the switch!

But yeah, adapting those types of morals into training can really make the difference in the long-run of a Pokemon/trainer relationship.

Definitely Lucian, he talks about that the teamwork between Pokemon and Trainer that the Pokemon will have to follow their Trainer's order but the Trainer themselves have to understand the pace of their Pokemon, just like Buizel is used to battle on speed and attacking, not defending and look for opportunity. Togekiss make unneeded dances but it can actually be used to dodge attacks. The same goes with Ash using tell Buizel to use its tail to avoid Shinji's Drapion's attack. To understand a Pokemon has always been the way to strengthen a Pokemon also the Trainer's bond with it, it is indeed a valuable lesson.

I think Flint had the best impact in his teaching methods, especailly towards Ash. Prima's didn't seem like it was getting through to his brain yet Cynthia's did the most influence. That is still is going on today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I think Flint had the best impact in his teaching methods, especailly towards Ash. Prima's didn't seem like it was getting through to his brain yet Cynthia's did the most influence. That is still is going on today.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I think it deals with how Ash was in a particular region. Like in the Orange Islands his cockiness was on a different level than say Hoenn or Sinnoh (depending on the circumstances). In terms of listening to other people he gets pissed if a "rival" offers their two cents or couple bucks in Gary or Paul's cases.

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

i really like drake(hoenn) and his overconfidence speach, and i use it a lot in my life

Banner created by Princess of Hoenn.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Well Cynthia's is the only one that Ash has regularly flashed back to. I think hers is best.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Adeku's episode is by far one of my favorite episodes of the entire show.

I just absolutely love it when he asks Satoshi, Iris, and Dent what their goals are, and then asks, "But, why?" It was the first time I could ever remember another character, let alone a Champion, questioning the main protag's goals. It was always just "oh, okay, that's nice, good luck with your goal! you can do it I know it!!!"

also he taught me how not to hit on women and that is pretty important
    Karamazov and Elesa Ver 2.0 like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Araragi Hakase View Post
    Adeku's episode is by far one of my favorite episodes of the entire show.

I just absolutely love it when he asks Satoshi, Iris, and Dent what their goals are, and then asks, "But, why?" It was the first time I could ever remember another character, let alone a Champion, questioning the main protag's goals. It was always just "oh, okay, that's nice, good luck with your goal! you can do it I know it!!!"

also he taught me how not to hit on women and that is pretty important
    You know you bring up a very good point. People always come into the show and give encouraging words on how to get better as a trainer, friend or person but never asked how or why you plan on obtaining a goal.

As a college student, I know exactly where Alder was coming from when he asked what do you plan on doing AFTER you obtain your goal. Its difficult to even think about it because you spend so much time and energy trying to reach that goal. Like for Ash if he finally becomes a Pokemon Master (haha, right...) then what would happen?

For Iris and Cilan well if they get their goals that just means new companions for Ash would come in and take their place :p

That is why his debut episode is one of my favorite from the BW series, considering how lame most of the episodes are that is saying a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast