PREVIEW: BW92: Ash, Iris, and Shootie! The Last Battle!! - Page 19

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree667Likes

Thread: BW92: Ash, Iris, and Shootie! The Last Battle!!

Default Re: BW92: Ash, Iris, and Shootie! The Last Battle!!

I'm kinda bummed out that Dawn looses though.....I got kind of spoiled by who wins the tournament....there's a comic somewhere about it, and it looked pretty official to me lol;;

Follow norstein04 On Twitter

Didn't think of them evolvin Krokorok soooo early !!!! :D

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And and Iris' battle will be the full episode and then Trip's win against the COTD will be 10 seconds.

I think Trip will likely win the following battle and the next episode will show him losing to Adeku and finally gaining respect for him.

If the writers have Ash win here then Trip, who also lost the previous two Don battle tournaments quite easily (and to Cilan and Bianca no less), looks like even less of a threat for the league. Considering the scans hype up Trip to be this "powerful rival," this is the writers last chance to make Trip look good.

Ash lost the previous two Don battle tournaments, having him lose another won't make a difference. I always believed we would see Trip win one of these anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    And and Iris' battle will be the full episode and then Trip's win against the COTD will be 10 seconds.

I think Trip will likely win the following battle and the next episode will show him losing to Adeku and finally gaining respect for him.

If the writers have Ash win here then Trip, who also lost the previous two Don battle tournaments quite easily (and to Cilan and Bianca no less), looks like even less of a threat for the league. Considering the scans hype up Trip to be this "powerful rival," this is the writers last chance to make Trip look good.

Ash lost the previous two Don battle tournaments, having him lose another won't make a difference. I always believed we would see Trip win one of these anyway.
    Since Ash has multiple rivals in this saga, I'm thinking that someone else can make Trip and Ash lose in the league other than each oother. Kind of like what happened to Gary in the Indigo league. Just because they don't face each other in the league doesn't mean that there rivalry can't end.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 1st August 2012 at 10:33 AM.

No matter how this episode plays out I just hope Bianca and Kenyan(as boring as he can be) aren't made out to be chumps in the long run just to make Trip look good. A lot of abnormal things happened this tournament so that other characters could be given special boosts and that's what pisses me off the most.

I do favor the Krok compared to some of Ash's other pokes this saga, but I just can't believe it HAD to evolve to win the battle. No matter which way you look at this tournament, it seems like nothing has been 100% earned through hard work:

-Iris enters a Dragonite she easily caught an episode before and does damage with that
    -Ash wins with Leavanny and the Krok-two pokemon who evolved in order for Ash to win major fights
    -Trip enters with Serperior and no matter how awesome it looks it was horrendously strong as a Snivy
    -Burgundy-who has shown improvement tremendously most likely will still remain comedy fodder

And not to mention anything else this tournament may bring. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just stating the facts. The facts is that there are no logical stats for those surpassing in this thing. I actually fear what the League will bring if Ash doesn't use reserves.

Also, a huge part of me is hoping that Georgia and Burgundy AREN'T here in this episode after their losses. I hope Georgia refuses to watch Iris use a Pokemon that she can't control and I hope Burgundy decides to leave to train harder so that the next time we see them they can both kick some ass.

Burgundy and Georgia deserve to get their chance in the limelight too, but I guess we should be glad they weren't treated as bad as Ursula was.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I suppose the target audience will buy Trip suddenly becoming this mega-threat. But I just see it as a very weak effort, seeing that they've given Trip some extra perks to help him along the way so he wouldn't get kicked out in the first round again. Alder alone is a plot point that the writers feel Trip is entitled to, even though his grudge with Alder and everything that will lead up to that inevitable battle is likely to come off as a waste of time. We the viewers already know why Alder is the way he is - Trip would've known too if he bothered to stick around for more than half that episode. So I can't help but feel Trip's entire purpose for being here is just going to be a review of what we've already seen. Personally I'm hoping for Alder to sleep through most of the tournament and not put a lick of effort into battling Trip and, should he compliment Trip's (bullshit) battling skills, it should come off as a generic gesture that any trainer would get, and nothing special and unique that Trip probably still thinks he deserves to get, because those 5 minutes he spent with Alder in the past were just so memorable. /sarcasm

I just don't see the point in hyping Trip so unnecessarily when we literally have not seen him since Bianca kicked his ass, so unless we're given a shitload of flashbacks (unlikely given how short this main part of the tournament is and how the battles will already be in clusterfuck formation fitting in with sideline action), I doubt we'll really get an idea of how Trip has progressed. I feel like excluding Bianca and Stephan from this tournament were just done so that Trip wouldn't have to deal with them; if Bianca could kick his ass, I see little doubt in Stephan being able to do so as well. Twisting the tournament just to hype two undeserving characters through the roof really wrecked the potential this arc could've had. It would have helped if Trip maybe had an episode or two not related to a tournament to focus on his character, as the last two Don Battles and the Alder episode did more damage to his credibility as a character and competitor than anything beneficial. Trip suddenly being super-powerful in this tournament (presumably) will just feel like something out of left field; some last-minute off-screen power boost. Butting out his other recurring rivals here specifically seem to make that all the more obvious.

tl;dr: this would be much more palatable if Trip made some non-tournament appearances between Donamite and now to do more with the character, NOT axe Bianca and Stephan out of the equation for the next tournament, and not have Alder be a factor to the tournament at all. That way it would look a bit more fair for Trip to be progressing, rather than just giving him the power of plot convenience and purposefully making the tournament easier for him to pass through because they'll likely just feed him CotDs and joke rivals to boost his "credibility" (and honestly, much as I love Burgundy... how will defeating her make Trip out to be a force to be reckoned with?).

I feel any hype/"progression" Trip makes in this arc is going to feel painfully artificial... mainly because I feel they dumbed down this tournament (which says a lot considering how I feel about the previous tournaments). Based on what we know now, it exists for two purposes: to pretend Trip is a credible rival/threat/character by making the competition easier for him to break through, and the second purpose was to hype Dragonite and Iris like crazy (and presumably to end that "disobedient Dragonite" subplot that lasted a whole 2 episodes). Ash's Krokorok evolving to Krookodile seems like more of a side-bonus/excuse for Ash to face Trip for yet another round he'll lose in a feeble attempt to create "tension" for the League.

I realize in many tournaments certain people are focused on for various reasons and normally they wind up in the finals, win or lose. The Don Battle sorta did this with Ash and Luke, but randomly decided to make the finals Ash and Iris instead. As much as a trainwreck the Don Battle was, the concept of not putting tons of focus on just one or two characters for the entire tournament is a good one, because I like tournaments where it feels like anyone could win (as it sort of felt like early in the Don Battle). Donamite did have exceptional focus on Stephan and Montgomery, but it didn't feel that overt, and with people like Bianca making it far in that tournament (stark contrast to her Don Battle performance), it came close to feeling like anybody's game early on, and for once it was neat to not have any of the main trio in the finals (and only one in the semis). With this tournament... the more information we got, the more painfully obvious it was that Trip would be focused on just because of Alder, and that factor alone could very well carry him to the finals. When we learned Iris was getting Dragonite, many of us worried that she would wreck the tournament with her uber regardless of the setbacks she faced - and look at that, she got all the way into the semis with Dawn and Georgia as casualties of that promotion.

I'm sure it's a worse case for me because those two happen to be my least-favorite characters in BW (and probably the whole series), but as much as this tournament was hyped, as much excitement where was because of the concept... I think it's not too farfetched to consider this the most predictable tournament so far, and for me I'm sure it'll be the most underwhelming. I guess it's a lot to assume since it hasn't officially aired yet, but given how many of us have reacted to the news, and knowing how BW likes to rush its tournaments in the past, there's plenty of justification for doubt about this tournament being a disappointment from beginning and especially to end. And this is our "appetizer" before the Unova League. Kinda makes the future look really dark, you know?

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

I honestly don't see the problem with Shooti going far in this tournament, nor do I see a problem with rekindling the Adeku/Shooti/Satoshi storyline. Would it have been better if it had been touched upon between BW052 and the Junior Cup? Yes. But I think that episode told us everything we needed to know about what the rivalry between Satoshi and Shooti would be about. Whatever happens in the finals and with Adeku, I'd like to see Shooti shaken up a bit in terms of his character and vision thanks to Adeku. I think Shooti's strength approach will be his downfall in the League and against Adeku, making him realize that Satoshi and Adeku were right. I think they've shown Shooti getting stronger as his Pokémon have evolved, but that there's still something he's missing.

The writers want to hype the League, inject some tension in the rivalry and flesh out Shooti's character, I say good, because there's something sustaining that rivalry, it can still go somewhere because both characters still have things to learn, flaws to overcome, etc. Not going to be the most compelling storyline, but a well-written Satoshi/Shooti finals can salvage the rivalry.
    HumanDawn, Likeitornot. and Aeon like this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I think Trip doing well in a tournament with a clear outcome of facing Alder makes a lot of sense with regard to what we've seen of Trip's character so far. His losses haven't been because of a lack of power, it has been a lack of focus - and the Don Battle tournaments don't mean anything so he just uses them as a way to scope out his opponents.

Trip goes through and gets the job done around Gym badges and raising what should be strong Pokemon - it's clear from that he is a capable trainer, but has just failed at winning in these minor tournaments - but that doesn't matter because his goal is the Pokemon League.

But in this tournament, there's the battle with Alder on the line, so he can focus much the same as with a Gym battle on exactly how he can win and do better. Plus, it's a World Tournament, he will be able to be motivated by beating all those foreigners and proving Unovan superiority.

Besides, none of these battles prove strength, they prove the luck of one battle. A one on one battle can't be a determiner of strength - one Pokemon beating one Pokemon isn't enough to make a judgement on a trainer by, which is the biggest problem at using these Don Cynthia tournaments to compare relative strength.

Trip is the only one of Ash's rivals shown with a full team of six, but nothing in the anime so far has been able to show that side of his team off as a whole, which is why I don't think writing Trip off on the basis of his losses to date makes any sense.

Sure that doesn't change his lack of personality or the lack of a real rivalry based on something - but he's not weak. This tournament won't be able to prove otherwise either - he will go through facing mostly COTDs, and maybe Burgundy or Cilan - the weakest of the known characters.

Default Re: BW92: Ash, Iris, and Shootie. The Last Battle

Dudes, for the 26th time, its confirmed that Ash and Iris will face off in the semi-finals!
    I have no link, but if you go to bulbanewsnow, you will see the new pics of ash vs. iris battle and if you translate from japanese to english, its said that ash and iris face off in the semi-finals with ash as a victor! Finally, Ash beats Iris after his humiliating loss at Club Battle Finals where Excadrill beats Pikachu in a battle.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderfella View Post
    it seems like nothing has been 100% earned through hard work:

-Ash wins with Leavanny
    What's so wrong with Ash using Leavanny(my 2nd favorite Ash Unova mon ^_^)?

He has shown to be a competent battler in the past and managed to beat Roxie's Koffing with clever thinking and strategy. It's a fully evolved Pokemon too, so how is it cheap and not hard work that Ash is winning with him? A Pokemon that he has captured and trained since the beginning?
    Caseydia likes this.

I hope Trip will win the competition!
    Last edited by Iteru; 31st July 2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Caseydia likes this.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human

He has shown to be a competent battler in the past...
    Man, I'll never get used to that.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I've always kinda liked Krokorok/Krookodile, but after this episode, I'm going to friggin' love him. Finally, Ash is finally going to defeat Iris in battle, the wait has been far too long.

As for the final, I can see Ash using Pikachu and Trip using Serperior, making it a rematch of their very first battle, but I hope this time both sides put up a good fight, especially Ash, who goes on to win through skill, even though he has a type and evolution disadvantage. I'm sure Trip will point that out to Ash at one point in the battle and turn it into yet another "Evolution doesn't matter" matter, but I just want to see Trip deprived of his dream and lose to the guy he has had such a low opinion of since their first meeting.

Plus, Ash defeating Iris and Trip for the first time in the very same episode would be utterly glorious.
    Last edited by Bouffalant Herdier; 31st July 2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Dumb spelling error

Who is this git?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think people mind Trip winning with Serperior if Ash's Poke is at a disadvantage. If Ash uses Oshawott or Snivy he'll probably lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I don't think people mind Trip winning with Serperior if Ash's Poke is at a disadvantage. If Ash uses Oshawott or Snivy he'll probably lose.
    lol. At a DISadvantage? Since when did that matter in this saga?

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)