PREVIEW: BW103: "Opening of the Isshu League Higaki Conference!" - Page 9

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: BW103: "Opening of the Isshu League Higaki Conference!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW103: "Opening of the Isshu League Higaki Conference!"

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMouse View Post
    I think that it'll be a 3 on 3 at most. A 6 on 6 would be amazing, but it'll never happen
    Its a two parter and its Ash and Trip league battle and they got a 5 on 5 on BW010
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

The problem with a 6VS6 battle so early on is that it would force every battle to follow that structure. Considering that there are four other rivals who all need to be showcased (even if not all of them get to face Ash), there should at least be four other battles. A tournament with five 6VS6 battles would be pretty tedious, even though some of the battles could still be rushed. On the other hand, after Ash and Paul's hour long battle in the Sinnoh League, it is not that hard to believe that a 3VS3 battle might be drawn out to last 20 minutes (10 in each episode). Besides, for all we know the battle might not even last that long (episode titles have been known to be misleading).
    martianmister and ArginX like this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    But its spread out over 2 episodes. I don't see why a 3 on 3 would take that long.

Even if the first 10 minutes of the ep is just spent on introductions, a 3 on 3 would fit into the last 10 minutes quite easily.
    A League match between two rivals fitting into the last ten minutes of an episode would probably be more rushed than some battles have been in the past, even though a part of me think that a rushed match between the two kind of seems fitting in a way. Still, I could easily see them focusing most of this episode on just the opening ceremony of the Unova League and then throw in this match in the last couple of minutes. That would make a lot more sense than starting off the tournament with a full battle.
    Shinneth and Isaac Gravity like this.

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now I'm definately suspicious of the unpredictablity of this league. not only is Ash going up against main rival Trip aka the guy who roflstomped him at the Junior Cup finals to win it, but if Ash wins against Trip and most likely he will, it would be even more plausible to predict that Ash will go no higher than top 16, which sucks even if Ash's team is underdeveloped. I say this becuase this league's competition should be be far weaker than Kanto's or Johto's league which Ash participated in the past and there should be no reason Ash shouldn't make top 4 again or at the very least no less than top 8. Seroulsly I hope the writer's somehow fit Ash in to the top 4, if only for the sake of a sense of progression, even if it is a false sense of progression. League placements for Ash:top16 in kanto, top 8 in johto then in hoenn, then top 4 in sinnoh. I'm all for keeping the status quo here so i would like to think the writers made this league's level of competition child's play compared to sinnoh's league so that even if Ash went one step foward and three steps back, and i will admit he definately has, he could still maintain the flow of league progression even though he has regressed from sinnoh to unova.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The mere fact that Trip is going out first implies Ash will either go very far or win the entire league.

If they're going to have Stephen, Bianca and Kotetsu especially battle Ash AFTER Trip, then that implies its just the writers thinking Trip is pointless, rather than not having Ash do good.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems that the "BS train" in Best Wishes is still running. After the crapfest in which Ash barely won his eighth Unova gym badge on a severe 6-on-3 handicap, after the horrible character development and rushed battles that constituted the WTJC, after the wasted potential of TRio, Giovanni, and the Therian pokemon during Operation Tempest, and after Iris's battle against Drayden using pokemon with inconsistent character development, it seems that the writers are still lowering the bar even during the Unova League. How does the league start by any chance? Will Ash and all of his rivals just advance past the elimination rounds with no problems? Will the writers just skip all of the elimination battles and have Ash and his rivals compete in the final tournament? Neither event seems to be the case. Instead, the writers decide to start off this Unova League by having Ash battle his main series rival--not just a rival of lesser importance like Kotetsu or Stephan, but the one that Ash had been introduced to since this series began--during the first on-screen match of the tournament. A battle between Ash and Trip during the first two episodes of this league competition will most likely result in Ash's victory, and one of the battles in this match will be Pikachu vs. Serperior. What an outrageous turn of events, considering that one of Ash's pokemon lost to Trip's starter just ten episodes beforehand during the WTJC.

I really despise this move by the writers, really I do. It's not because Trip seems to be losing in the first round of the league that I am upset, but rather because there is absolutely no grounds for Ash being capable of defeating Trip here without the writers pulling another BS victory out of their hats. Ash has not trained most of his pokemon on-screen (the notable exceptions are Unfezant, Oshawott, and Krookodile) ever since the WTJC ended, and we saw how Trip was able to completely dominate Ash during their battle then. Pignite was unable to get any of his attacks hit Serperior, and Serperior was shown to be a very powerful pokemon throughout that entire tournament by defeating pokemon that have type advantages over it. Furthermore, Trip has the motivation to continue to get stronger after he had lost to Cilan and Bianca in past tournaments. Trip also appeared to take everything that Alder taught him about caring for his pokemon to heart, and I would not be surprised if Trip developed a new battling style out of that to showcase for the league. Meanwhile, Ash lost to Trip in the WTJC and it does not appear that this loss bothered him at all, and that he insists on doing things at his own pace with the hope that he could defeat Trip eventually.

Maybe if Trip was battling Ash in DP, who had been shown to be completely bothered when his pokemon lost horrendously (including the moments after Paul defeated him at Lake Acuity) and had consistently trained his team on-screen, I would have been more accepting of the "result" of this battle. But no, the writers will instead have Ash, who has not really trained his team at all during BW and whose greatest victories in this series were plot devices created by the writers, eliminate his main regional rival during the first or second round of the league. Considering how much Trip's team had progressed since the series began, and considering how Trip was always one step ahead of Ash, the end result here will be very terrible.

So yes, this tournament seems to be starting out in a most unpredictable and unsettling way. It's a shame. Trip had so much potential since he was the first of Ash's main regional rivals to have started out on a journey after Ash did, and his desire to battle powerful trainers (and there were many trainers in this series that Trip did want to fight that he never had the chance to do so on-screen) could have given his pokemon a lot more development and focus than they did end up getting. Unfortunately, the writers seem to be falling short of my expectations in this series. This was just another unfortunate turn of events in my book.

I would just be happy if Ash loses to Trip here and the league competition ends on that note, but the writers will never let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Pikachu can win against Serperior.
    Pikachu could win against Serperior, but such a victory would go against what little continuity BW seems to have. Pikachu lost to Trip's Servine back in BW010, and it is clearly obvious from the WTJC that Trip's pokemon has a lot more battling experience and finesse now. Furthermore, Serperior resists Pikachu's Electric-type attacks and has the speed to dodge Pikachu's close-combat moves. If Pikachu does manage to win against Serperior, a pokemon who was able to repel most of Crustle's offensive moves and dodge all of Pignite's Fire-type attacks, it certainly will not be a justifiable victory.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 25th October 2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Ambipom666 likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

The mere fact that Trip is going out first implies Ash will either go very far or win the entire league.

If they're going to have Stephen, Bianca and Kotetsu especially battle Ash AFTER Trip, then that implies its just the writers thinking Trip is pointless, rather than not having Ash do good.
    I still get the opposite feeling from this setup. Since Trip is the first match of the League, rather than the first full battle, I get the feeling that the Unova League isn't really going to last that long and that Ash isn't going to get that far. If anything, it makes the idea of Ash losing to Virgil, similar to Harrison, in either the first or second full battle of the League more likely to happen to me. There's no guarantee that Ash is going to face all of the other rivals. The only other ones that I'm sure he will battle are Kotetsu and Virgil, but I don't think he'll battle against Stephan or Bianca, although he probably has more of a chance of battling Bianca than Stephan. I think it's more likely that they just want to get this rivalry done so that they wouldn't have to figure out how to work a full battle between the two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    It seems that once again the writers are keeping the "BS train" going in Best Wishes. Ash has not trained most of his pokemon on-screen (the notable exceptions are Unfezant, Oshawott, and Krookodile) ever since the World Tournament Junior Cup ended, and we saw how Trip was able to completely dominate Ash during their battle then.
    Well, the "BS train" is this saga's MO, for the most part. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    Pikachu could win against Serperior, but such a victory would go against what little continuity BW seems to have. Pikachu lost to Trip's Servine back in BW010, and it is clearly obvious from the WTJC that Trip's pokemon has a lot more battling experience and finesse now. Furthermore, Serperior resists Pikachu's Electric-type attacks and has the speed to dodge Pikachu's close-combat moves. If Pikachu does manage to win against Serperior, a pokemon who was able to repel most of Crustle's offensive moves and dodge all of Pignite's Fire-type attacks, it certainly will not be a settling victory.
    For all we know, Serperior may be the only one of Trip's Pokémon that is ready for the league. Ash may have an easy time defeating Trip's first two Pokémon, leaving Serperior to contend with three of Ash's Pokémon. The writers could justify Trip's loss by blaming him for only concentrating on training Serperior for the Junior Cup.

Failing that, Serperior being overpowered is the product of bad writing to begin with. I wouldn't complain if the writers conveniently ignored such a poor plot device.

Blog Entries

This improves Ash's chances of winning the league. I can see it now...Ash's victory holding the trophy as Cynthia invites him to participate in the Champion league.

Blog Entries

Honestly, Trip should have never been better than Ash to begin with, unless he had similar experience to Ash. Hearing Ash say "HUUUURRR IMA GIT STRUNGUR, TO DEFEEET DIS TRAINER WHO JUS STARTED OUT, WHEN I'VE HAD 4 REGION OF EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO DIS." is pretty damn stupid.
    Isaac Gravity and Hidden Mew like this.

Blog Entries

Basically the writers have acknowledged that Trip's entire character was a mistake and they're trying to sweep him under the rug.

Who also wants to bet Trip leaves the tournament after he loses and doesn't stay to watch how the rest of it plays out?

Blog Entries

Basically the writers have acknowledged that Trip's entire character was a mistake and they're trying to sweep him under the rug.
    What were the writers thinking though, were they thinking through anything at all? Making him a newbie, and having him thrash Ash three times..only for Ash to proclaim he has to "get stronger" to defeat him( a newbie) makes it seems as if Paul never existed.
    Last edited by Masurao; 25th October 2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Isaac Gravity likes this.

Blog Entries

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f555/do-you-find-trip-shooti-interesting-rival-109379/

General complaints about the character belong here please.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    The problem with a 6VS6 battle so early on is that it would force every battle to follow that structure. Considering that there are four other rivals who all need to be showcased (even if not all of them get to face Ash), there should at least be four other battles. A tournament with five 6VS6 battles would be pretty tedious, even though some of the battles could still be rushed. On the other hand, after Ash and Paul's hour long battle in the Sinnoh League, it is not that hard to believe that a 3VS3 battle might be drawn out to last 20 minutes (10 in each episode). Besides, for all we know the battle might not even last that long (episode titles have been known to be misleading).
    True but it is possible to have all 4 other battle be full length in 5 episode assuming it is going to be full length.

It could go
    103 Ash v Trip
    104 Ash v Trip and Ash v Stephan
    105 Ash v Stephan and Ash v Bianca
    106 Ash v Bianca and Ash v Kotetsu
    107 Ash v Kotetsu and Virgin v Cotd(partial)
    108 Ash v Virgil
    109 Ash v Virgil
    110 Epilogue

And that is all rival get a full length elimination

And if Gotpika is right about Ash losing instintly it has to be a full battle
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 23rd October 2012, 01:45 AM