PREVIEW: BW101: Soryu Gym! Iris VS Shaga!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BW101: Soryu Gym! Iris VS Shaga!!

Default Re: Iris vs. Shaga

It really speaks volumes about Iris's skills as a dragon trainer when she battles with a powerhouse that went with her for no reason at all and requires no training on Iris's part, and a pokemon that isn't even a dragon type. All the while ignoring the dragon type she was given to start her dragon journey with with the explicit goal of making it strong.

As far as Im concerned, Ash is better at training Dragons than Iris is.

A loss is probably the least likely scenario here, given the writers probably want to show how "hard" Iris worked, and how much she "improved". It's more likely that the battle will end a tie. Excadrill won't lose, but it won't win either. Honestly, she should still completely lose, given she's done very little this series, BUT...

..this is Best Wsihes.
    Last edited by Masurao; 21st September 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    A loss is probably the least likely scenario here, given the writers probably want to show how "hard" Iris worked, and how much she "improved". It's more likely that the battle will end a tie. Excadrill won't lose, but it won't win either. Honestly, she should still completely lose, given she's done very little this series, BUT...

..this is Best Wsihes.
    That's a great idea. I wouldn't mind a tie too. One, because Iris doesn't need to win against Drayden to prove that she's strong and two, a win would only make people complain.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I expected Best Wishes would pull this. Even if there is backstory with Drayden and Iris, I really don't think that gives Iris the exclusive right to battle him. From what we've seen, there's really nothing notable about Drayden and Iris' relationship. Iris was not devastated when Drayden ended her winning streak and bears no hard feelings over it, Drayden only had praises of potential for Iris, so... there's no drama factor at all that could draw in hype. This prospect is about as interesting as Trip and Alder's past, which is to say it's not interesting at all. I suppose there's more to it that we'll be shown, but the Iris-can't-adapt-to-classrooms thing doesn't really work either since we've been shown many many times that Iris' way is just about always the right way in this show. Maybe Drayden didn't take well to Iris rejecting his efforts to hone her skills and maybe that's why she was apprehensive about Opelucid, or she's just nervous because at the time when she thought she'd have to go there she only had a weak Axew with one crazy-overpowered move. Now her Axew has TWO crazy-overpowered moves AND a godly Dragonite, so unless Drayden happens to care that much about Axew evolving (which is possible - we could be revisiting Kanto-era's PSA about evolving Pokemon), I really don't see a reason for Iris and Drayden to battle. And since she's going to be using Excadrill, it looks more like a generic rematch for Drayden to see how far Iris has come since they battled in Iris' village... except Excadrill isn't representative at all of Iris' primary goal: Dragon Master. Unless this is more than a 1-on-1, this rematch is likely to only serve as another means of praising Iris for doing nothing.

I would much rather have Ash battle Drayden for the hell of it, in Gym Battle format, so at least Ash can have one last gym battle that resembles something of a fair challenge that reflects on how far Ash has come rather than how pitiful he and his team is for accepting a handicap that was only legal because the gym leader's an egomaniac. This close to the League, Ash needs all the experience he can get. What we don't need is another vanity project for Iris.

So yeah, I'd classify this rematch as wasted potential and a waste of (my) time.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Unless this is more than a 1-on-1
    Dragonite and Excadrill are confirmed to be battling Drayden's Druddigon and Haxorus.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

You know what would be amusing?

If Iris's Axew evolved in the middle of the battle and then Iris beat Drayden.

Wouldn't that be amusing?

Quote Originally Posted by G013M View Post
    You know what would be amusing?

If Iris's Axew evolved in the middle of the battle and then Iris beat Drayden.

Wouldn't that be amusing?
    He is in the next few episodes.. I'm tired of Best Wishes already I want Gen VI anime now I think everyone needs a breath of fresh air.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Signas View Post
    It's no different then Servine going from mediocre to annihilating the entire Junior Cup.
    Err... Janovy was never portrayed to be mediocre, he defeated a Pokémon in each battle it partook in, and besides it is totally different. Shooti is a rival, Iris is a main character, they both have different stories, both have different reasons to be on a journey, both have different personalities and methods. Shooti training his Pokémon, evolving them, really pushing them far so that they are the strongest they can possibly be fits his story, fits his personality, etc. Iris wanting to become a Dragon Master, not adapting well to a class environment and being sent on a journey to strengthen and bond with a Kibago doesn't explain why she almost never trains it, why she doesn't use it in battles, why it really has made no tangible progress since around 60-70 episodes by the time this episode airs. After the Don Battle tournament, Iris has been sitting on her hands doing really nothing towards her goal, towards strengthening her team, towards becoming stronger at battling, towards learning and growing as a person and a Dragon Master. Instead, she's been handed random unearned powerups to hype her up as this uber strong battler who, for all intents and purposes, already is a Dragon Master.

Drayden will lose here, I'm sure of it.
    Considering all the glorification the character has received, it wouldn't surprise me. It's pretty clear also from the flashback that Shaga will actually be mostly praising her potential and everything in the flashback by going at lengths to foster her growth as a Dragon Master. Which really makes the last 100 episodes incredibly puzzling as to why the writers never bothered having Iris actually learn things about being a Dragon master.

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    Dragonite was already captured at full potential to compensate for her lack of a strong dragon
    Which is the problem in a nutshell, that's all the writers ever do with Iris is compensate for how lackluster her character is and how nonexistent her story and development are. They keep trying to make her relevant but instead of making her earn the achievement they pile up on her by actually giving her issues, making her work on them, making her learn and grow through battles and earn in a karmic sense her successes. The bigger question is would Iris be able to even put up a fight against Shaga without Kairyu? Kibago is still useless in battles, Emonga is pretty much a non-factor at this point and has Doryuuzu actually become stronger after it started listening to Iris. It was barely used and his wins were pretty undeserved in my opinion. Again, her team wasn't really good or strong, so the writers had to give her an overpowered Kairyu, they had to dumb down other characters to justify her making it far in the Junior Cup, and even then only had her lose because Kairyu went on a rampage and there's no doubt that had that not happen, Kairyu would have won the battle and probably the whole tournament. Is any of it earned? No.

This is supposed to be one of Iris' defining moments, but honestly, I can't see one outcome that's really gonna make Iris a compelling and interesting character, and that's kinda telling of how her character has been shoddily written.

I don't even need to say anything. Everyone already explained basically all the reasons Iris and her silly writing bores the hell outta me and why I won't be watching this.

:|

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Dragonite and Excadrill are confirmed to be battling Drayden's Druddigon and Haxorus.
    Too bad it isn't 3vs3, I would have liked to see Drayden's Fraxure as well. But then Iris would have to use her Axew/Emolga and we all know how that'd end.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People can say what they want but Iris episodes usually tend to be among most interesting ones BW has offered on table imo. Getting insight in more of her past is greatly appreciated, and it is quite compelling to find out how much of tomboy she used to be back in day not really paying attention to classes.

Truth to be told i didn't even thought there exist such thing as school for dragon masters, ,with writers differentiating Iris dream even more than Misty water master goal was.

So in nutshell is makes lot of sense that Iris is going to challenge Drayden, considering how he played bigger role in Iris life and history than we originally thought he would.
    From story standpoint another justification behind their clash is fact how Drayden is labelled as dragon master, and since Iris pursue same career its not hard to assume why their life paths has crossed again.

Ever since we got flashback about Excadrill first loss and what initialized disobedience problem for all this years, i assumed from start how sooner or later rematch against Drayden Haxorous is inevitable to happen when taking in account how Excadrill was directly tied in whole story with Drayden as well.

This also reveals why writers gave Iris such a powerful fully evolved dragon type few episodes prior to their meeting with her current team simply not being developed enough at this point(namely writers fault). Yes it was rushed and terribly executed getting build up as trainer over night, but if you look at it from other perspective Dragonite capture also serves as plot device which could lead to more meaningful development after confronting Drayden.

While we saw that she had some knowledge bonding nicely with Deino or Druddigon , Dragonite clearly shows how Iris is still quite green in that aspect being rather helpless in understanding what is his problem losing patience with his behavior.

Which is prime example that despite being prodigy, Iris doesn't know everything and has to prove her worth to others, especially Drayden if she ever hopes to accomplish goal.
    In one hand presence of fully evolved disobedient pokemon allows to potentially learn even more about dragons since it represents ultimate test/obstacle which is put in front of trainer being harder to tame dragons at such stage and level.
    This will also serve as indication for Drayden to see if Iris learned anything during her journey and how far she came.

However negative thing about it is that main reason behind journey and catalyst through which Iris was planned to develop(Axew)ended up shafted and underdeveloped and it would be interesting to see Drayden ending up disappointment with Iris. Which would also explain why she tries to avoid meeting Drayden again, being probably afraid of not fulfilling his expectations when it comes to Axew treatment.

Personally im hoping for some meaningful character development there, not letting previous disappointments to lower down my enthusiasm. Because im definitely interested to see how will battle between Drayden and Iris go.

Whole battle is basically test to reveal if student surpassed his teacher.

I really do hope that the battle turns out okay and not crappy. So far everyone else's but Iris's has been meh. I just hope that this battles doesn't end up being the one that sucks.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

If Iris wins this, Drayden will be dissapointed in her for not getting Axew up to that level.

If Iris loses this, Drayden will be dissapointed in her because it will have shown a lack of growth for her.

It's a lose-lose situation for Iris either way...

Hypnodance FTW!

Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

With it being a 2-on-2 battle, I think the best outcome for Iris should be a tied match.

It would show that Iris has gotten stronger through traveling, training, battling, and bonding; but at the same time it would show that she has quite a ways to go to defeat Drayden.

Realistically, I expect her to win the match however.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    With it being a 2-on-2 battle, I think the best outcome for Iris should be a tied match.

It would show that Iris has gotten stronger through traveling, training, battling, and bonding; but at the same time it would show that she has quite a ways to go to defeat Drayden.
    She could still show her growth without tying by doing better and lasting longer in the battle than she did last time. Assuming that Iris commanded Dragonite, telling him to use Thunderpunch on Druddigon, a Pokemon with the ability Rough Skin, Dragonite should get damage. Druddigon blocked the attack, so he didn't get any. Not knowing Druddigon's ability would cost Dragonite damage and make Drayden teach her to use a long range move like Ice Beam to play safe. I'm guessing Druddigon will manage to beat Dragonite, get tired deflecting the attacks and then lose to Excadrill.

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

I really dislike how they are making Iris such a Mary-sue. I expect they'll continue to show of Dragonite by making her win or tie at the end of the day. It irks me for 2 reasons:
    1. Iris has barely trained with her Pokemon the entire journey. What happened to Axew's dream of evolving back in BW005? Where's Emolga? Basically, anyone besides Dragonite.
    2. Iris is becoming generally unlikable. Her backstory is all over the place, and it's frankly hard to care about her. After 100+ episodes, the writers are trying to rush and wrap up her backstory, but at this point I really don't care about her.

At this point, I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of this series. Don't even get me started about Cilan.
    Last edited by Pokemaster97; 26th September 2012 at 06:24 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast