PREVIEW: BW101: Soryu Gym! Iris VS Shaga!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: BW101: Soryu Gym! Iris VS Shaga!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Iris vs. Shaga

She's in the episode after this, so any training would have to be done post league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post
    just some info from the scan: as a child iris went to souryuu city to study to be a dragon master and got into school, but couldn't adapt to a classroom enviroment. shaga went to ask for help from the old woman of the dragon village. shaga hoped iris would become very strong one day.
    Comictic must have happen in the classroom. Iris had to go to school O_O

How boring. Ash doesn't get to battle Dray, but guess who does. -__-

I thought challenging gym trainers was Ash's goal? What does Iris have to do with them?

Drayden better win or I'm going to be pissed. The gym leaders in Unova have been walk overs. Hopefully Drayden won't be like the others.
    Caseydia likes this.

Blog Entries

Iris will lose when she is going to be afard to fight him

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by U-missed-a-spot View Post

I thought challenging gym trainers was Ash's goal? What does Iris have to do with them?
    If it were any other gym, I'd agree with you. But Iris and Shaga have a backstory. While it's a bit disappointing that Satoshi isn't the one challenging him, in this case, I think Iris' battle against him will mean more, especially in that Satoshi already has all of the badges required for the league.

Blog Entries

To be honest, if anyone should battle Drayden, it definitely should be Iris. She's the one who actually has some story involving Drayden, so why should she not battle him?
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An Iris and Drayden battle had been set up since their flashback together in BW033, but I have a feeling that the execution of said battle will be disappointing in the end. Other than Iris catching an already powerful Dragonite that seems to be obeying her commands now, Iris hardly progressed as a trainer ever since she last interacted with Drayden. Yes, Excadrill managed to learn a long-range attack to combat Drayden's Haxorus, but that was an attack that Excadrill learned on its own. Focus Blast wouldn't be enough to give Excadrill an edge here. Excadrill lost quite a number of times in BW so far, and some of its most notable wins were from battles that could have gone either way. Haxorus has been hyped up to be the strongest pokemon belonging to who appears to be the most powerful Unova GL.

Either the writers have Iris lose poorly against this GL despite obtaining some powerful pokemon, or construct the plot of this episode in such a way that Iris does fight on even footing with Drayden, despite her lack of experience or growth in BW so far. It's a lose-lose situation either way.

It's such a disappointment that Ash won't battle him, though. Brycen did mention back in BW079 that Drayden would have been the perfect Gym Leader opponent for a trainer like Ash who wanted to fight a challenging opponent.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 20th September 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Blog Entries

If Iris does get an offer to train she'll probably either want time to think about it (till the end of season 2) or say she wants to watch Sato in the league first (again, till the end of season 2). The latter would make a lot of sense in my opinion given how she excited she's been in the audience for the previous two gym battles.

Okay, maybe you guys are right. But I'm still hoping for Drayden to win or else this will literally just be a silly revenge battle.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would laugh if Excadrill lost and became disobedient again.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Blog Entries

Drayden better win or I'm going to be pissed. The gym leaders in Unova have been walk overs. Hopefully Drayden won't be like the others.
    Iris and Drayden have a history together and so do their pokemon. Excadrill's first loss was against Drayden's Haxorus and from then on came his disobedience with Iris. This episode is most likely to show that Iris and Excadrill have improved.
    Reila likes this.

Blog Entries

Oh boy, where do I start with this one? First off, to me, Satoshi battling Shaga and Iris battling Shaga are two completely unrelated issues. I kinda always assumed that Iris and Shaga would duke it out in an episode that focused on Iris, and whether or not Satoshi would do to was independent from it. So, I'm not mad at this arc for existing because it robs Satoshi of screen time and whatnot. This arc actually has a legitimate reason to be, it works with Iris' backstory and is justified in that measure. Could they have worked Satoshi battling Shaga into it. You betcha, but they didn't. Oh well. I still think that it's sad that BW2 is for all intents and purposes The Iris Show because when this episode will have aired, BW2 will have lasted 17 episodes and 9 of them focus on Iris, during which characters were thrown under the bus to glorify her and she got handed absolutely undeserved powerups to compensate for her apparent lack of storyline and anything even remotely compelling. The "Kibago nows hurts Gablias" episode, the "Iris gets a Pokémon stronger than all other Pokémon on the main cast combined episode" and the "Iris and Shooti Cup" arc were just awful writing and all should have featured other characters, but these episodes aren't to blame, they're the only ones that were even remotely justified in the bunch.

Does that mean these episodes will be good? I seriously doubt it and for many reasons, but we'll. First, the summaries, again taken from Sushi at Serebii, then comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Translation from Sushi over at Serebii
    Translation:
    1) Iris challenges a Gym Leader!
    Iris challenges Drayden, the Gym Leader of the Opelucid Gym!

2) Iris battles in the Opelucid Gym!
    Ash and his friends have come to Iris' hometown, the Village of Dragons. There they run into Drayden, the Gym Leader of the Opelucid Gym?!
    (Caption Drayden pic: Drayden is an expert on Dragon type Pokémon! For Iris, he is a scary teacher!)

Having entered the Opelucid Academy, Iris...
    Iris once came to Opelucid City to become a Dragon Master. But she could not get used to school life.
    (Caption 1: Unable to do well in her studies, Iris was troubled.)
    (Caption 2: Iris has been very tomboyish since she was small!)
    (Caption 3: Drayden talks to the Village Elder to discuss Iris.)

Time to show the strength she has built up during her journey!
    Drayden wished for Iris to become stronger. To meet his expectations, Iris challenges him with all the power she has got!
    (Caption: She challenges Haxorus and Druddigon with Excadrill and Dragonite!)
    Two things jump out here. First up, the Iris backstory going in every direction. Iris went to a school to learn to be a Dragon Master from Shaga. Since she didn't know who he was in the flashback we saw in BW033, I'll assume this is after her loss to him otherwise, there's an inconsistency. BW033 showed us Iris not really being affected by the loss at the hands of Shaga, being just as confident and eager as before, not really feeling like she needed to change anything or learn more, she just wanted Doryuzu to start training and try again. That doesn't work, she goes to school, that doesn't work either, so what? Shaga who sees all this potential in her talks the Village elder into sending her to raise Kibago and explore the wild where she'll be more at ease to learn about Dragon. So far so good, except here's where I kinda feel the writers wrote themselves into a corner because there's nothing that really sticks in terms of backstory for Iris. The backstory doesn't explain how present Iris became present Iris. Shaga and the Village Elder sent Iris to raise Kibago and attune herself with Dragons, learn more about them. That's all well and good, but throughout BW, they haven't done anything about those, showing Kibago not really make any steady progress but rather get random powerups whenever it's convenient to make Iris look good, only to totally forget about it and never use it again. She already knew pretty much every theoretical thing about Dragons, so why need to go in a school? Why need to go on a journey to not learn things you already know? Again, exploring a character's backstory is great development if it does two things: explain the present and prompt a change in the character, confronts them with something that needs to change. The latter's unlikely because of what happened in the last flashback with the writers never really making Iris cross the line into being flawed. Neither really looks like it'll happen here.

Secondly, this line jumped out at me.`

Time to show the strength she has built up during her journey!
    Hold the phone, Iris did what? Built up her strength? When? How? When? What? Kibago is still pretty much unable to battle and couldn't stand up in a real fight. Doryuzu really hasn't become all that stronger since his encounter with Shaga since he just stayed in its ball, then popped up, tied against Tsunbear, won against Pikachu, won against Futachimaru and lost against Nageki. That's it... 4 battles in 70 episodes and he didn't look like he got that much stronger. Kairyu was just handed to her on a silver platter without her having to earn it or work for it. Really, Iris has really done very very very little in terms of showing progress with her team, in terms of "building strength" during her journey, in terms of being affected by the journey. An argument I came across was that this arc was justified in that it was Iris's "Grand Festival", the arc that capped off her growth during her journey. Except, she really hasn't grown or done much of anything during her journey, unlike coordinators who had to get stronger, get better and work for their ribbons, work for their entry in the Grand Festival, while Iris gets an arc to cap off not even one percent of what we've seen from other characters. And that's the thing, the writers again wrote themselves into a corner, because it's a lose-lose situation. Iris wins against Shaga, then it just isn't earned, really hasn't been the result of anything. If Iris loses in a close match, again it really hasn't been earned. Either option is kinda meaningless. But if Iris loses badly, then what's the point of it all.

Either way it just highlights the fact that Iris' story has meandered throughout BW, been inconsistent and largely tossed to the side, so that an arc like this really loses its impact. What does it say about a girl whose goal it is to raise her Kibago that when it comes time to challenge a Dragon Master with all her strength, that Pokémon is forgotten.
    Hoopa, Mikuri, Hidden Mew and 9 others like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Hold the phone, Iris did what? Built up her strength? When? How? When? What? Kibago is still pretty much unable to battle and couldn't stand up in a real fight. Doryuzu really hasn't become all that stronger since his encounter with Shaga since he just stayed in its ball, then popped up, tied against Tsunbear, won against Pikachu, won against Futachimaru and lost against Nageki. That's it... 4 battles in 70 episodes and he didn't look like he got that much stronger. Kairyu was just handed to her on a silver platter without her having to earn it or work for it. Really, Iris has really done very very very little in terms of showing progress with her team, in terms of "building strength" during her journey, in terms of being affected by the journey.
    That doesn't really mean anything here. It's no different then Servine going from mediocre to annihilating the entire Junior Cup. Consistency doesn't mean much here, and I doubt it will mean anything here. Drayden will lose here, I'm sure of it.

Still the Unova Champion in my book.

Blog Entries

It would be really funny if dragonite just OHKOs haxorus and then makes drayden his bitch while Iris uses her dragon master powers to coerce the hydreigon to join her and then go on a journey by herself to win 8 badges while Ash and Cilan heads off to the league alone, she then shows up with a new Aggron, Lapras, Archeops, and a fully evolved haxorus, Proceeds to tobias the league and then beat down the elite four right then and there, challlenge alder and win, and then out of nowhere pulls out her champion robe and turns into the champ.
    ChaosControl likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Either way it just highlights the fact that Iris' story has meandered throughout BW, been inconsistent and largely tossed to the side, so that an arc like this really loses its impact. What does it say about a girl whose goal it is to raise her Kibago that when it comes time to challenge a Dragon Master with all her strength, that Pokémon is forgotten.
    I found that quote pretty hilarious too tbqh. But, it just goes to show how awful the writing in BW has been overall. Somewhere between DP, and BW the writers forgot how to write, and develop characters. That, or they just don't really give a shit.

1. Emonga hasn't been used in any serious battles since Kenyan, back in BW 41 (50+ episodes ago)
    2. Axew hasn't been used in a serious battle since Luke (also 50+ episodes ago), and is sitting out here..where it SHOULD be battling.
    3. Dragonite was already captured at full potential to compensate for her lack of a strong dragon
    4. Excadrill's hasn't battle since Masaomi (23 episodes ago)

This series has been so terrible at Pokemon development.
    Last edited by Masurao; 20th September 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 6th October 2012, 08:03 AM