PREVIEW: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari! - Page 6

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW092(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

As soon I read that Iris defeats Georgia in the tournament on the Bulbanews article, I just thought "surprise, surprise", and will be battling Dawn next, but then when I read that Dragonite refuses to obey Iris, all I could think was "Wait, Iris enters that battle round against Georgia with an unruly Pokemon and still wins"?! And Iris will probably beat Dawn as well, no matter how much we all don't want to see that. I might as well expect that so I won't be as disappointed than if I put too much faith in Dawn.

I've got nothing else I can add that has already been said, so I'm going to stop here on that topic.

I'm glad to know Burgundy will be in this tournament - and seeing her with a Darmanitan actually sounds kinda funny.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 12th July 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Remember the days not long ago in DP where they followed that "any Pokemon's problems/shortcomings are the fault of the trainer" philosophy?

I guess that was retconned out of this series too, just like those badge case indentations. Because we sure haven't seen Iris own up to any faults of her Pokemon being crap and the problems just fix themselves rather than any work and learning experience coming of it. If you stretch it there was the Excadrill problem, but all Iris had to do was cry a little and apologize for that to be 100% fixed, and even then the flashback showed us that Iris hadn't really done anything wrong, and the only thing that she was actually guilty of (letting this problem drag out FOR YEARS, that is) was not at all mentioned or held against her. So yeah. Iris seems to be exempt from that very nice thing DP instilled; only thing that allows even a shred of hope for this changing is Iris' gestures at going to Opelucid City, presumably because she's aware she's hardly done jack shit since she started her journey.

My point with all this is that this sorta coincides with the notion that even if Iris loses, it'll reflect badly on Dragonite and not her. Even if she loses here against Dawn, the damage has been done with Georgia, HER ACTUAL RIVAL, who should not have been defeated this way.

And gawd, what if Iris just faces nothing but Ice-types this tourney and beats them all? I'd consider that barely-constitutes-as-a-phobia conquered if that happened. Just a nice extra kick in the nuts for all the derailment this tournament suffers.

I can't even be happy for Burgundy and Bianca being in this tournament because I just know deep down that one or both of them will get unrighteously fucked over again, and at least one of them will probably be done in by Iris, too.
    Mikuri, Moe and Hidden Mew like this.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

I am still in shock about a main character actually getting a fully evolved Dragon-type Pokemon (and a pseudo legendary to boot). I know that each of the characters has had a Pokemon that could be counted as their "powerhouse" and some characters having many like Ash having Charizard, Torterra etc, Misty having Gyarados, May having Blaziken and Venusaur and all of that. But Iris, some newbie trainer getting a powerful Dragon type like that just doesn't ring well with me.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Mamoswine never really had a truly great battle back in DP. All its contest battles were double battles where it won and didn't do much.
    Contest battles may be fought differently from the standard battles, but they are still battles nonetheless. Pokemon can faint if they get hit with powerful attacks. Based on Mamoswine's performance in past contest battles, the pokemon is far from being an adept battler. Mamoswine always had trouble battling agile pokemon, like Ursula's Plusle-Minun duo and her Flareon, and the wild Tangrowth from DP. This could also lead into a disadvantage here as Iris's Dragonite is also very fast, based on the footage of it battling in BW089.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Now that this is a battle, Mamoswine is free to be a powerhouse and attack with all its might.
    Mamoswine will have a training battle against Ash's Pignite in BW088, and based on that alone it doesn't seem to be any stronger than Pignite. Mamoswine's opponent here is a fully-evolved Dragon-type pokemon that has moves super-effective against Ice-types and is strong enough to defeat Georgia's Beartic, the latter of which managed to defeat Iris's Excadrill and a slew of other powerful Pokemon.

This Dragonite is a pokemon that Piplup and Oshawott had struggled to even battle against when they fought it together, and it was powerful enough to fight a Hydreigon to a standstill. Mamoswine may have a type advantage, but chances are that the Pokemon will struggle to defeat this Dragonite as well.

H.M
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

....Goddamn I should've just set the bar so low that it would be called a potato.

Ok, I'm hoping this time that Dawn will totally cream Iris to knock her down a few pegs.

I think Darmanitan fits Cabernet, they both can look utterly crazy. Cinccino appearing also makes me ~happy~.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1299040263465.gif  
    Hidden Mew and Caseydia like this.

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Apparently, Burgundy loses in the first round again. I read that on another site, can anyone here confirm this? Wtf @ the writers if that is really true. Why bother bringing Burgundy in if they're gonna make her lose in the first round all the time?

Maybe that was a mistranslation or something. -_-

Blog Entries

Yes, thankfully she loses. I've never been fond of her character.

Also glad to see Iris will be beating Hikari.

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Im pretty sure Iris' Axew did not beat Cynthia's Garchomp. There wasnt a True winner in that.

On Topic here, i believe that Dawn will most likely beat Iris, though i could be wrong considering the writers favor her.

Is there any actual proof that Burgundy loses to trip cuz i can't see Trip make it past the first rounf of any tournament, even the league. It's basically a Running gag for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Also glad to see Iris will be beating Hikari.
    You are shitting me, is that confirmed now too?! If it is I just may take a little break from Pocket Monsters and hope when I get back it's the show I once knew and loved.

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderfella View Post
    You are shitting me, is that confirmed now too?! If it is I just may take a little break from Pocket Monsters and hope when I get back it's the show I once knew and loved.
    I wouldn't be surprised. You have to have an Arceus to beat Iris, it seems like.

Blog Entries

Well Hikari winning doesn't really make much sense. Iris has more she needs to overcome.

The whole thing just has a Mikuri Cup feel to it.

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where is the proof which points the inevitability where Iris will indeed beat Dawn? Someone will have to provide links or spoiler tags in order for me to believe it, cuz i will not believe it until I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Well Hikari winning doesn't really make much sense. Iris has more she needs to overcome.

The whole thing just has a Mikuri Cup feel to it.
    While Dawn winning won't serve as such a big purpose, I can't help but feel as a fan that we've all been played. Just for the sake of promotion, not for storyline. If the writers wanted to make Iris an "epic" character then fine. But please do it the right way, not lazy way.

The idea of Iris getting a Dragonite isn't the problem, but the timing and the convenience and her whole character in itself is.

And yes, I'm aware the writers won't see this, we are not their target audience nor may never ever be at least not again. But can you blame a guy for wanting to go back to the way things used to be?

Pokemon now is turning into the way music is becoming: rushed, cheap, the minors being majored and the majored being minored. All of the BS wins that happened this saga are making Misty's Psyduck defeating Kingler and May's Skitty defeating Dusclops look like Champion matches.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but not even Johto was this bad. I'd rather have a lot be left up to imagination than be freaking driven to insanity just for the sake of promotion.

Blog Entries

I still think Iris will lose to Dawn.

I'm positive that Dawn and Ash will fight against each other in the tournament at some point, and I doubt they did that in the first round, because that would mean that Ash would leave the tournament in round 1, which seems rather implausible.

I'm curious to see what the match-ups will be like, I wish we got a scan or something. :/
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderfella View Post
    While Dawn winning won't serve as such a big purpose, I can't help but feel as a fan that we've all been played. Just for the sake of promotion, not for storyline. If the writers wanted to make Iris an "epic" character then fine. But please do it the right way, not lazy way.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see how this is somehow making Iris an "epic" character or lazy writing. It's the same type of story this show has always had.
    투 애니원 likes this.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)