PREVIEW: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari! - Page 23

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

So Trip is doing the same thing that Iris is doing and using the same Pokemon for the last three battles in the tournament. This what makes this tournament boring. At least Ash Clian and Dawn are using different Pokemon to make it intressing

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

So Trip get's his revenge on Crustle for the Club Battle. Meanwhile Burgundy's crying in a corner waiting to get her revenge.

I'm actually looking forward the battles of this ep, even though I pretty much know outcome of all of them.

I do wonder who Ash is facing? Maybe that guy with the Reuniclus?

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Well the battles in this episode are looking very nice, which is already a huge improvement over the rather uninspiring ones from last week. That's all I was really hoping to get out of this tournament anyway, since all the entertaining characters have already been tossed out like yesterday's garbage.
    Caseydia likes this.

Blog Entries

Dragonite's face makes it the best Dragonite in the history of Dragonite's
    martianmister and HumanDawn like this.

Oh,the Dragonite is most likely to win.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I really cannot disagree enough with this. I think we're all in agreement that Iris v Langley was pure and utter bullshit, but that's just it, that match was bullshit, the damage was done there. Saying that subsequent battles should be just as bullshitty as the previous battle to justify the previous battle being bullshitty when it has no justification on account of being bullshit is kinda twisted. Point is: the argument should be that Iris vs Langley should have been better written, not that this battle should be shoddily written as to make canon previous shoddy writing.
    Taking in a factor into account, what if Mammoo was stronger than Tsunbear? Yeah, sure it's a contest Pokemon, but Mammoo has shown to have immense strength as a battler, something that Tsunbear hasn't shown. Mammoo doing better than Tsunbear now doesn't really sound bad. What did Tsunbear beat? It tied with Excadrill and beat a Joltik. That's it. Regarding the "shoddily written" writing part, the writers should at least be consistent.

That being said, I think this battle will be bullshit anyway, though not because Hikari. First of all, Iris shouldn't be in the second round to begin with and shouldn't even come close to winning with a disobedient Pokémon she's never trained or worked with before.
    I believe she should have quit after knowing that Dragonite was disobedient. Maybe she's going to try to connect with it in the next round? Which leads us to your next point:

Second, I'm calling Kairyu being put under pressure and finally realizing that Iris, the pure radiant saint genius prodigy special snowflake who can do no wrong he willingly chose to follow only to disobey her in a contrived and hollow plot, is his only hope of salvation as only she can truly let him win with the Dragon Master skills she already mastered. Another undeserved win and undue glorification for Iris that not only kills her story but really kills other characters' stories and stops them dead in their tracks. Once again, there's nothing that really challenges Iris as a character, nothing that really makes her change, because the problem seems to be solved by having Iris be the answer and to have been right all along, while Kairyu was wrong.
    I'm worried that this will happen too. The likely scenario being:

Iris: Oh no Kairyu! Please stand up :(!
    Hikari: Yay! I'm going to win :D!
    Kairyu: Maybe if I listen to her, I'LL WIN!
    Iris: Okay Kairyu! OBEY ME IF YOU WANT TO WIN!
    Kairyu: OKAY!

Then Iris wins.

Meh.

I think the matchup between Manmoo and Kairyu is interesting because it just highlights how the former's plot was not only much better handled than the latter, but just how more compelling the story was and how much more deserved and earned the resolution was.
    I don't think that Mammo's was good at all :/.

What's the point in Kairyu disobeying Iris if it's to end in two episodes, have no consequences and end by Kairyu realizing how great Iris.
    I rather it end quickly than be dragged down with Iris doing nothing until she needs Kairyu to solve something for her.

One thing I'm extremely disappointed about the preview and the title is that it heavily implies one thing: Hikari not using contest style battling, but just spouting attacks and trying to overpower the Kairyu she just saw overpower a Tsunbear and resist countless super effective attacks. It's downgrading her character heavily cause she was always portrayed as being much smarter than this and it's not her style. It's been established as not being her style. She's supposed to be there to prepare herself for contests and in her battles doesn't use contest style tactics... it's kinda sickening how much they're throwing Hikari under the bus to give some more undeserved achievements to Iris.
    Not really. If I were in Hikari's place, I'd be more focused in attacking Kairyu instead of trying to 'woo' the audience. Contest style tactics would only lead to her demise since they are not the most effective moves.

glad that Crustle get's it's ass kicked! :D boring that Trip is using Serperior again! seems like a nice battle episode er just have to wait 3 weeks aka 18 days !

Blog Entries

Does Trip's Serperior face against Cilan's Crustle? O.o

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Airi-Chan View Post
    According to the preview, yes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Wow, can't wait for next weeks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Wow, can't wait for next weeks
    Unfortunately, this episode is going to air in the 23rd of August. Yup, 18 days left XD

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Isn't this going to be Crustle's first proper loss? Y'know, without completely destroying two other pokemon before going down? Not even Shell Smash can stand up to the mighty glacier that is 'the plot'.

Blog Entries

I think we're all in agreement that Iris v Langley was pure and utter bullshit, but that's just it, that match was bullshit, the damage was done there.
    No, I do not agree with that. Even though I would’ve preferred it much more for Georgia to win that battle, I can accept that she didn’t. Considering that this, judging by the scans/preview, is leading up to some development between Iris and Dragonite, which probably would’ve been wasted if he didn’t win that battle against Georgia. I can’t tell yet, because as of yet, only one episode has aired, and I’ll be needing to see the whole thing until I actually can judge.

It might would’ve been I would’ve preferred for Iris to lose that battle against Langley, yes, but until I’ve seen what this is all going to lead up to in development wise, I’m not going to judge.

Saying that subsequent battles should be just as bullshitty as the previous battle to justify the previous battle being bullshitty when it has no justification on account of being bullshit is kinda twisted.
    Yeah, who said that? I didn’t. And I don’t really agree either, since I don’t think the last battle was bullshit.

You would’ve thought that Georgia, with her goal of becoming Dragon Buster, should be able to put up quite the fight against Dragonite. With her specific goal of beating Dragon-types, and with all of her Pokémon that all have an advantage against them when it comes to type – not to mention the specific training to fight them as well – she should’ve been able to cause quite a lot of damage on Dragonite. Well, she didn’t. If Beartic managed to cause any damage at all it was only minor, this only means one thing: Dragonite is amazingly strong. That’s possible, after all, it did come from the wild and is at its fully evolved stage, and it didn’t really get that strong by being under Iris’ care.

It was established in the last two episodes that Dragonite is an awfully powerful Pokémon. I mean, with the damage that it had received from that Hydreigon, it still managed to stand up to a lot of attacks. All of those Magnemites’ Thunderbolt, Magmortar’s Hyper Beam, Ferrothorn’s Flash Cannon, Gurdurr’s Stone Edge, Darmanitan’s Flamethrower and Garbodor’s Gunk Shot hit it, and it still stood up. And if I recall correctly did Jenny refer these Trainers to be the best in town. Oh, and let’s not forget Oshawott and Piplup who also contributed by exchanging attacks once Dawn and Ash were going to protect Iris. If a Pokémon is able to stand up to all of those attacks, it is, without a doubt, awfully strong, and when it manages to defeat Georgia’s Beartic my thoughts about its strength are only confirmed. However, when Dawn’s Mamoswine is battling Dragonite, it’s a whole different thing.
    The only real damage Dragonite received was that Dragon Pulse from that Hyrdreigon, and it must obviously be on an equal level as Dragonite with the fact in mind that the subs stated that Dragonite was only challenging Pokémon that would be on equal terms with it in battle. So the damage Dragonite received from Hydreigon was logical, in that case.

Is it bullshit for a very powerful Pokémon to beat another Pokémon who has got type advantage if its strength is tremendous? No, it isn’t. What is bullshit though, is that after Dragonite had defeated Georgia with ease, it’s having some severe problems with Mamoswine, a Pokémon which is owned by a Coordinator who do not train for the specific goal of beating Dragon-types. You’d think that Dragonite, who already has been established to possess tremendous power, should be able to beat Mamoswine just as easily. From the look of things though, that’s not case.

So, no. I couldn’t disagree more with your thoughts about this. But we obviously look at it from completely different perspective. What’s bullshit is not the fact that Dragonite beat Dragonite when it already had been established to be a very strong Pokémon but the fact that it struggles in the battle against Dawn when it didn’t with Georgia.

I probably shouldn’t judge this battle yet as we really haven’t seen anything more than a few scans and a preview, Dawn might strike back with some really great strategies which in that case would kinda justify her victory against Dragonite considering that all other attacks that Dragonite had faced were all just straight-on attacks. Georgia’s battle style is just the same as Iris’ – offense, offense and offense, which is something Dragonite didn’t have much trouble with.
    W/e. I'm done with this topic as I have already discussed it before, and repeating myself is bleh.

Now, for my opinions on the full preview. I liked it. There were of course some parts that I didn’t like for reasons that I’ve already stated, but I’m happily surprised to see Cynthia ‘’helping’’ Iris with her issues with Dragonite. That I did not see coming, although it does make sense, considering that the two of them did bond a few episodes back, so I’m pleased with that. I’m also very glad to see Cilan and Trip battling, which was exactly what I was hoping for. And OMG, Cilan is looking hilarious with that pose he makes. XD I’m normally not such a big fans of his evaluating time when it comes to battles due to it making the battles a bit stale imo, but having him evaluating Trip will surely be really fun, so I’m actually looking forward to that.

You definitely won’t hear me complaining about Trip using Serperior again (as long as he doesn't use it for all four rounds). I love that thing, and I think that Trip kinda deserves that win against Cilan as the guy is in desperate need of redemption. I beat he’ll have his revenge on Bianca too, so I call that he’s going to beat Bianca in the league.

This episode is looking rather good. Hopefully all of the battles won’t be as rushed this time. I’d at least want to see the battle between Cilan and Trip to get about 5 minutes screentime, but the battle Ash is having though will probably be rather short. He wasn’t at all seen in the preview, after all.
    Last edited by Chiplet; 5th August 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    HumanDawn likes this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am going to pretend like I don't already know Dawn gets (unfairly) beaten by Iris in this episode and cheer for Dawn and Mamoswine to win.

GO DAWN AND MAMOSWINE!!!!!! *throws confetti* I know you two can overcome bad writing!!!!!

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)