PREVIEW: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari! - Page 14

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW092(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

Kairyu is not for B2W2 advertisement, it is for their own merchandise.

:V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't understand why the writers bothered to bring Burgundy here if they were going to make her lose the first round once again. They're making her out to be a trainer that sucks so hard at battling, but maybe that's supposed to be part of her character or something. Oh well, maybe she'll have some interesting interactions with Cilan. I wonder how Georgia and Burgundy will interact with Dawn as well, if at all.

I could see Georgia claiming that Iris' wins don't count because Dragonite isn't listening to her. Too bad the people in charge of the tournament don't see it that way, rofl. She should be disqualified for that.

Blog Entries

If Iris does in fact have to defeat Dawn (and their battle is the second round) I suppose to semi's could look like this. If the writers do want Ash/Trip to face off in the finals then...

Ash vs Iris (Ash)
    Trip vs Cilan (Trip)

...would be acceptable, even though some damage would have already been done. At least with them in the finals it would show they are league ready. Granted, I'm not really expecting this to actually happen. : (

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    I really don't understand why the writers bothered to bring Burgundy here if they were going to make her lose the first round once again. They're making her out to be a trainer that sucks so hard at battling, but maybe that's supposed to be part of her character or something. Oh well, maybe she'll have some interesting interactions with Cilan. I wonder how Georgia and Burgundy will interact with Dawn as well, if at all.
    I agree, I kinda wish that she would do better or at least show some signs of improving (she has, but obviously not at the same pace as the other rivals). I guess it was already explicit that she's a newbie trainer, and not exactly the most naturally skilled one, at that, so it pains me to see her lose so much :(

I think that Cabernet and Hikari will get along fine, seeing how they're both a bit disturbed by Dento's tasting time XD Then again, with Dawn's weariness of, uh, eccentric folk, she might be a bit cautious of Cabernet...just a bit XD

"seasons change, people change"

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Considering BW's "faster paced" run, it's more likely that writers know about BW2's existence. Or, at least, Gen VI's shorter life-span...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the lines of what @CommanderPigg was saying, I too am bummed out that Burgundy will likely be nothing but jobber fodder for the much less interesting characters to progress onwards. Only way I'd accept her losing is if she battles against Cilan. But you know, Burgundy is a very accurate representation of a newbie trainer. She struggles, fails a lot, and clearly has superficial reasons for pursuing the Connoisseur path when it's obvious that she seems to have more potential as the average trainer (and only wanted to be a Connoisseur because Cilan defeated her in the first place). In Donamite she showed some definite signs of improvement; she was just hampered by being the victim of a bullshit loss to Iris. Had Burgundy gotten to face a CotD or a more reasonable opponent, I think her progress would be much more apparent.

But Burgundy is a way better example of a newbie trainer than Trip ever was. Literally the only thing that's gotten Trip out of Gary Stu status was that he was losing these past tournaments. I still believe Trip has a very weak reason to win this tournament and that there really hasn't been much of anything in terms of "build-up" for him to face Alder. He could have pursued his desire to battle Alder when he got to meet him in person like 40-something episodes ago, but instead he just walked away and unless I'm not remembering stuff right, he hasn't mentioned Alder at all since then. Granted, Trip's last non-tournament appearance WAS Alder's debut, which is also suspect considering every single recurring BW rival except him have had their own independent episodes since Donamite (or in Stephan's case, just before Donamite), but it really doesn't help Trip at all that he hasn't been showing up like all the other rivals have since Donamite to add stuff to their character.

I suppose the writers will use the excuse of Trip not having a non-tournament appearance since Alder's debut to justify him getting far in this tournament, so we can see how strong the newbie's unrealistically become since Donamite. But it's still stupid. How many of us have actually been itching to see Trip make a return and take this tournament by storm and have this battle against Alder that I still say will change absolutely nothing about Trip's character? It also doesn't homage the BW2 games as well as the prospect of Iris battling Alder. If Dawn can't make a difference in taming Dragonite during this episode, I'd say only a top-tier trainer like Alder will be able to magically solve Iris' problem for her. As time goes on, it seems less and less likely that Drayden will appear to get on Iris' case.

It's really annoying when a tournament is influenced by the higher-up's desire to market their new shit like crazy; I feel deep down this will come down to Iris and Trip, advertisement vs trying to make the show's most boring rival meaningful which very likely won't work. Poor Dawn really doesn't fit in the equation, which means Piplup doesn't, which means Dawn is doomed.

Or. Well. Very likely to be doomed. Trying not to be a soothsayer here. Sorry if I derailed like crazy a bit. I'm trying to keep it connected to the tournament and this particular episode...!

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

Okay, if Iris wins:

Alder invites her to battle himself. Trip is angry.

If Iris wins against Alder:

Alder congratuates Iris, Iris becomes the champion, and Iris is no longer in the group.
    Ash becomes jealous and brings in his Pre-Unova Pokémon.
    To become shortest series ever.

If Iris loses against Alder:

Alder tells Iris to train harder and become her best.
    Iris thanks Alder and continues on with Ash, now with a desire to become the Unova Champion.

2 years later, Ash faces off Iris. And guess who wins?

GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK IRIS, AKA JESUS.
    djulienr likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    How many of us have actually been itching to see Trip make a return and take this tournament by storm and have this battle against Alder that I still say will change absolutely nothing about Trip's character?
    Could you please elaborate on how Trip battling Alder won't change his character? I guess the answer to the question is how it changes his character. For one, I think that it will make him be more fierce and aggressive towards others in his battles as evidenced by a BW2 preview. Having been beaten in the first round in a tournament twice could have stimulated this. Trip has been portrayed to be a character that wants to keep things to himself, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually hiding how he felt and now wants to really win to redeem himself.

This is before the supposed battle with Alder of course, but it has already changed his character and showed a new side of him, i.e his lust for victory and redemption. When a trainer feels such emotions, their Pokemon inevitably do better to please them. I believe that it's been canonized too. Apparently, Trip's regained lust to fight and beat Alder to redeem himself was bigger than Burgundy's to beat Cilan, so he naturally beat her. Trip's situation is a more serious and personal one while Burgundy's used solely for comedy relief. This helps prevent character from being stagnant too. Burgundy is apparently the same Burgundy from the 2 previous tournaments and Pinot Noir episode. Her character hasn't been showing possibly interesting new sides that could possibly compel the audience. Maybe other than the small talk with Cilan at the end of the first Club Battle, but in future appearances it was as if said talk with Cilan never happened. I don't know what the writers' plans for Burgundy are of course, but the World Tournament surely isn't her place. So yeah, why should she win? I'll take serious and possibly compelling characters that can look funny at times over “just funny” characters who provide the same food to chew on without any development to their character or story. Though, I'm still hoping that Burgundy has become a T class Connoisseus by now with a scene where Cilan tells her that it's all thanks to him that she advanced. That to me would be enough to not make her appearance here a complete waste here other than the comedy scenes.

What's so compelling to me regarding this scenario of a new trainer facing all these trainers from around the world is seeing said new trainer show his will, passion and courage to show that he's not something to mess around with just because he's new. Being fierce while doing all of this just adds so much to his character in my opinion.

What I'm hoping for the writers to do in this episode and the entire WC arc with Trip is to keep on showing these traits until he inevitably loses. I believe that the loss could lead to further characther development and growth for him that would increase the quality of his writing. I'm also hoping that when he does lose, he'll finally burst out to tears and show how he truly feels inside. And when that moment finally happens, I'll feel compelled and moved enough to cry.

The Club Battles, Clupsplosion and Alder episode have all been leading up to this moment. If the writers truly want to redeem his character, now's their perfect chance. Maybe I'm expecting too much, maybe I'm not, but I'd be pleased regardless. Scoring a high rank would prove enough to me that he has at least improved.

Follow jman21 On Twitter

I think its crap that Iris gets such a overpowered Pokemon right b4 a major tournament. where Dawn has worked and worked with mamoswine. Iris just gets to slide through with a powerhouse. She dont need to get anywhere with this tournament. She needs her face shoved into the dirt with a major defeat. Cause she hasnt had any of those.
    Caseydia likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't these comics usually spoil the ending of every episode? Why do we only see the first two pages, don't they show the victor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Don't these comics usually spoil the ending of every episode? Why do we only see the first two pages, don't they show the victor?
    I'm actually happy that they're keeping some things in the dark.

Mainly because it's leading to a lot of completely pointless speculation that will probably be completely hilariously wrong...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Magazine scan.

I remember when Ash tried to use his Chariazard in Indigo League !
    Ash was humiliated , He was humiliated in a worst way possible in his very first league conference!
    So , I'm Pissed about Iris winning with a disobeying Drogonite!
    When It come to Other Character, Writer gave them so much attention & never humiliate them like the way he did to Ash!
    STILL THERE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE KEEP SAYING ASH GETS ALL THE ATTENTION ! THEY SAY ASH GOT ENOUGH ATTENTION SO WRITER SHOULD FOCUS ON OTHER CHARACTER!
    Look,
    Even now they wish for Trip vs Iris final !
    I mean , This show is about Ash's journey to become a Pokemon Master !
    What Iris become in Game has nothing to do with this ! And Trip dream has 0 connection to at!
    You know why this show start to suck , Because Writer wasting too much time on Other Character development then Ash !
    In Other Anime, They focus on One Goal & One Conclusion!For example ''Inajuma Eleven'' focus on Raimon Eleven saving Football!
    They focus on that & only that goal !All other event there are connected to that one goal !
    Plus , Yugioh focus on Atem getting his memory back ! So writer of that Anime Connected ''Becoming best Dualist'' & ''Saving The World'' to that One Goal!
    But Pokemon focus on too many Random goal that not even Connected !
    I mean ,
    Junior Cup could be place for Ash's Development & Growth ! Why waste it for other character !
    Whirl Cup , Wallace Cup , Don Tournament & Donamite , In all major Tournament Other character got the Spot-light expect Ash who's the main character !
    Iris's B2W2 Spoiler has NOTHING to do with current Series ! If Writer care so much about the game then he should FOLLOWED THE TEAM PLASMA ARK rather then replacing them with Team Rocket !
    In Trip case , There more then just one side superiority in a Rivalry! It mainly about the RELATIONSHIP between Protagonist & Rival!Specially when we are talking about someone who doesn't deserve to be superior then Ash!
    So ,Writer should make Junior Cup then Place where Trip start to acknowledge Ash & realize that there something wrong in hIs So called Basic's!
    Trip's Dream of Battling Alder has nothing to do with Ash's Growth & Development ! And Trip winning Junior Cup won't change anything ! it will just piss People off !
    About Cabernet
    Guys , She's a Connoisseur , Not a Battler ! Her goal is to get revenge on Cilan !
    So it doesn't matter if she gets knock out in first round in Junior cup!
    Caseydia likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    There is no comic for this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    I remember when Ash tried to use his Chariazard in Indigo League !
    Ash was humiliated , He was humiliated in a worst way possible in his very first league conference!
    So , I'm Pissed about Iris winning with a disobeying Drogonite!
    Charizard and Dragonite are 2 completely different Pokemon with completely different reasons for doing what they do.

Charizard had no respect for Ash and couldn't care less about him as he felt that he was soo strong. So he would do things like fly around, go to sleep or otherwise rest instead of fighting unless the Pokemon seemed worthy of a battle. THAT is why Ash lost with Charizard, no one said anything about taking Ash out of the battle when Charizard ran Charmander out of the field because it was at least doing something without endangering others.

Dragonite, according to the scans, is highly competitive and actually wants to win battles. BUT he appears to be a powerful, fully evolved Dragon who got to where he is without every having to work with a trainer in it's life. It's always been fighting for it's self alone ... so even though he has a new, deep connection to Iris (I'm assuming so anyways. He decided to travel with her for a reason) he still doesn't know the benefits to having a Trainer like Iris in battle. Therefore it relies on it's instincts to win these battles ... it doesn't just attack the crowds or the trainers or w/e, it actually tries to win because it's competitive.
    djulienr and martianmister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Magazine scan.

I would hate to see another ice type lose to Dragonite. Plus it would be sad to let Dawn lose before we got to see more of Mamoswine in action. I also don't want to see Iris face up against Ash making him lose because that would mean she would have won two torunaments and if she beats Trip than that would be bad news for him as a rival. Either way, it's really sad. Someone on the writing staff must have thought, : "You know what, just do what you gotta do with Iris. Kick her off and then give her what she is in the games.":

However, when Ash leaves Unova, it would be the same thing over and over again.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)