PREVIEW: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari! - Page 13

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW092(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

To everyone let's not make this a general Iris thread and stick to her about the World Tournament. I know a lot are disappointed due to this and past events, but the past events are starting to become a bit too discussed here. http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f555/do-you-think-writers-doing-enough-iris-109376/ will be a suitable place for it, so that other elements of the episode being discussed won't be drowned out.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Wouldn't a normal audience be scared shitless and run away knowing that there's a rampaging dragon in the tournament that can't be controlled and tamed? From what I've conducted, either it's A) This is the bravest audience ever, or B) This is the dumbest audience ever.

I'm going with B. Congratulations! Logic has completely died!

I mean what the hell? This tournament should have already been cancelled or postponed by now. Yet, nobody is worried that somebody could friggen die. They're sitting there looking at the chaos instead. I'm currently pitying the poor audience more for being stupid and sit through this shitwreck.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Default Re: BW? Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

I really hope Hikari will win this.

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    *Satoshi will use Hahakomori in the first round. His opponent is unknown.
    Yes! It's payback time!
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Wouldn't a normal audience be scared shitless and run away knowing that there's a rampaging dragon in the tournament that can't be controlled and tamed?
    The problem doesn't seem that severe. The magazine says that Dragonite follows its own battle instincts, which is definitely not the same thing as rampaging.
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries

To put it bluntly, if Dawn cannot beat Dragonite with Mamoswine then I really don't see either Trip or Ash beating it. Perhaps if Krokorok evolves, thus learning Outrage or Serperior has Dragon tail...but that's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Wouldn't a normal audience be scared shitless and run away knowing that there's a rampaging dragon in the tournament that can't be controlled and tamed?
    I don't think Dragonite is "rampaging".

From the sound of it, it's highly competitive and will follow it's own instincts to insure it wins. So it may or may not obey Iris until things start getting messy and it falls back on it's instincts because it's too use to relying on it's own power and decisions. Which makes prefect sense ... it's a fully evolved, highly competitive, powerful Dragon Type Pokemon that I'm assuming has never had a trainer and got to were it is on it's own so even though it clearly shares a bond with Iris it's never had to follow anyone's orders or work along side someone else. I think it's gonna be kinda like (but far different to) Mamoswine, who would follow orders until things started getting hairy and it's patience wore thin ... causing it to rage out and disregard Dawn's orders. Maybe more like Buizel ...

Dragonite simply wants to win ... which means it's gonna attack the Pokemon it's battling and not the crowd or trainers. The writer's are shocking good at finding new ways to make a Pokemon disobey.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Blog Entries

With this whole Dragonite thing, it really feels like the writers are compensating for Iris' lack of screen-time and progress towards her goal. I feel the Dragonite issue will be rushed, and solved just as quickly as it started...instead of actually taking to time solve the issue. I know the writers expect us to feel sorry for Iris here, but it'll be hard to feel happy for her when she potentially beats Dawn due to the possible abrupt solution of Dragonite's issue and how she was given a extremely powerful Pokemon before a tournament.

If anything I feel sympathy for everyone else here, that worked hard with their Pokemon through their entire journey only to be potentially stomped by a character who was spoon-fed a Pokemon stronger than all of theirs prior to this tournaments start.
    Last edited by Masurao; 14th July 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the writers new this would happen, why have Iris win the very first Don battle tournament? She could have lost that one early and nobody would have cared, what she won at the end of it was just feathers that we'll never see again anyway.

That's why I can't see Iris getting far. Having her win or come into the finals of TWO tournaments makes little sense. There's a reason why she did only average in the previous tournament before this one.
    Mega Charizard X likes this.

Blog Entries

The writers are probably trying to make Iris credible and threat considering her position in the games.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    If the writers new this would happen, why have Iris win the very first Don battle tournament? She could have lost that one early and nobody would have cared, what she won at the end of it was just feathers that we'll never see again anyway.

That's why I can't see Iris getting far. Having her win or come into the finals of TWO tournaments makes little sense. There's a reason why she did only average in the previous tournament before this one.
    You think they had everything planned well into the future when they created the first don tournament? Think again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driller678 View Post

You think they had everything planned well into the future when they created the first don tournament? Think again.
    They probably had a large chunk of the series mapped out since eps are worked on 9 months in advance.

追放されたバカ

They probably had a large chunk of the series mapped out since eps are worked on 9 months in advance.
    That's a worthless guessing game. We don't know how everything is planned out in japan. They probably had no idea of BW2 when the first don was created.

Blog Entries

That's a worthless guessing game. We don't know how everything is planned out in japan. They probably had no idea of BW2 when the first don was created.
    They aren't kept in the dark when they have to advertise stuff 1 year before they come out.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

My guess is that they wanted to make it seem like Iris is a more active trainer due to Axew learning Outrage and all, despite how all of wins felt cheap and undeserved. Excadrill vs. Pikachu wasn't as forced, but the way she got there made it feel more undeserved than anything else. I agree that Iris winning or coming into the finals of two tournaments, of which neither really helps her goal to become a Dragon Master or evolve Axew, assuming that they haven't abandoned that goal by now, doesn't really make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, most of the writing behind Iris doesn't make a lot of sense. If it did, she probably wouldn't have gotten a Dragonite right before a tournament and Axew would probably have some believable development, instead of doing nothing but sitting in Iris' hair and learning overpowered moves out of nowhere with no training to make it seem like it's developing into a strong Pokemon. As much as I hate it and hope so much that it doesn't happen, pulling something like Iris getting into the finals would sadly not surprised me given how she been handled throughout the series.

Quote Originally Posted by 투 애니원 View Post
    The writers are probably trying to make Iris credible and threat considering her position in the games.
    I can understand why people would come to that conclusion, but I still think that would be completely ridiculous if that was the case. I still think that a character's position in the games shouldn't factor into their strength if the character is so different from their video game counterpart. Gary's video game counterpart was also a Champion, even though it was like for five minutes, and I believe the strongest Gym leader in G/S/C, but he wasn't a super tough trainer in the anime because of it. He wasn't a push-over, but he wasn't glorified like Iris is right because of his status in the games. Since they made Iris pretty different from her video-game counterpart, mainly being more immature and a much weaker trainer than she is in the games, it doesn't make much sense to me for her to become so overpowered as a result of becoming the Champion in the new video games.

Honestly, if they wanted to make Iris more credible and more of a threat, then they could have just build up to Axew becoming a better battler instead. She could have used Axew in the other tournaments, lasting longer each time and working with Axew more often in-between those tournaments so that it victories can be believable and not full of deus ex machina moves. Then, by the time they got to this tournament, Axew could have been a forced to be reckon with and made Iris look like a stronger trainer, instead of an extremely lazy one who has all of her problems solved for her. But all of that would require effort and there's none of that with Iris unfortunately. I understand that capturing the Dragonite is for marketing reasons for B2/W2, but they also could have given her something not so ridiculously overpowered like a Dratini instead, preferably not right before the tournament so she could work with it some more.
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

At this point, this is kinda how I expect the rounds to go.

Iris vs Georgia (Iris)
    Trip vs Burgundy (Trip)
    Ash vs CotD (Ash)
    Dawn vs CotD (Dawn)
    Cilan vs CotD (Cilan)
    Other CoTD battles

R2:
    Ash vs CotD (Ash)
    Iris vs CoTD(Iris)
    Dawn vs CotD (Dawn)
    Trip vs Cilan (Trip)

Semifinals:
    Ash vs Trip (Trip)
    Dawn vs Iris (Iris)

Finals:
    Iris vs Trip - (Trip to battle Adler given it's been built up)(or Iris for hints of her Champion status, for BW2 advertistment)

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)