PREVIEW: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari! - Page 11

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Default Re: BW092(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    The writers don't purposely want to make Iris a Mary Sue. Even they know that constantly showing her winning everything and with a pokemon that doesn't obey makes little sense.
    Unfortunately in the history of writing, with the exceptions of parodies and trolls, I don't think anyone has ever written a character with the intention of making them a Sue. The kids who rush off to FF to post their written-in-an-afternoon-self-insert-fic-of-wish-fulfillment generally don't expect to get flamed. They expect everyone to see this awesome character who kicks butt just like they do.

And sometimes there isn't a lot of difference between 12 year olds and supposedly paid professionals. :/

As it is I'm desperately hoping you're right, but I'm terrified that she's going to beat Dawn, win the tournament... *gulps* beat Alder... turn Drayden into her servant... make Lance her bitch... and become ruler of the world...

Because that's what Sues do.
    Last edited by Yoshi-kun; 14th July 2012 at 02:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Let's not turn this into a discussion about Mary Sues please.

Blog Entries

I can understand now why they gave her the dragonite, to give her a character development story but the problem I have with this is it could have been done with Axew instead with this piece of crap. I've noticed the writers can't execute her stories properly, eg Don Tournament, Emolga's disobedience, Axew's moves and training. I like that they're trying to build her character but they can't handle it properly. Its a shame really, Iris is really fun and unique character with tons of potential. Too bad she ended up like this :C

Blog Entries

I have a hard time seeing Dawn and Ash battle in the semi-finals. They're already going to have a practice match before the tournament with Mamoswine and Pignite, so there is no reason to assume that there has to be another battle just because of what Dawn said in her first episode this season. Not only that, but how would the battle go down? Quilava VS Pignite is unlikely since Dawn is going to see Pignite in action beforehand, and Piplup VS Oshawott or even Pikachu would take the writers out of their comfort zone (overshowcasing the mascots without glorifying one over the other). Any other match would be random. Finally, Dawn battling Trip wouldn't mean anything; she would obviously be happier to lose to Iris.

Therefore I predict that Iris will win.
    Last edited by Silktree; 14th July 2012 at 10:55 AM.

If Iris beats Dawn with her randomly-given-to Dragonite I'll ragequit (no, I'm not serious, but it'll be extremely ridiculous)
    Hidden Mew and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I have a hard seeing him Dawn and Ash battle in the semi-finals. They're already going to have a practice match before the tournament with Mamoswine and Pignite, so there is no reason to assume that there has to be another battle just because of what Dawn said in her first episode this season. Not only that, but how would the battle go down? Quilava VS Pignite is unlikely since Dawn is going to see Pignite in action beforehand, and Piplup VS Oshawott or even Pikachu would take the writers out of their comfort zone (overshowcasing the mascots without glorifying one over the other). Any other match would be random. Finally, Dawn battling Trip wouldn't mean anything; she would obviously be happier to lose to Iris.

Therefore I predict that Iris will win.
    Not only that, but Trip has expressed an interest in battling Iris initially. I could see the writers falling back on that as an excuse for Iris to win. Honestly, I'm expecting some plot-magic to occur and Dragonite will realize that's it's been wrong and listen to Iris mid battle to give Iris the win. Therefore, Trip and Iris will be the final. They have more of a reason (using that term loosely here) to face off than Dawn, and Trip. He's battled all Cilan already anyway, it make sense if he battled Iris too.

The writers have no qualms about throwing characters under the bus for Iris' sake, even the main one. So really, I'm not surprised by the writers giving Iris a Dragonite right before a big tournament to justify her going far. That's the only reason it seemed to have been done in the first place. I have a much easier time seeing Iris vs Trip in the finals rather than Ash vs Trip.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

I'm having a hard time trying to sympathize with Iris with this one. We,(the audience that is) are supposed to pity her for not being able to control it, and yet it's not leading to any losses on her side. With problems, you're supposed to lose and not gain wins. She's succeeding without any effort on her side again. Being A Dumbass In Distress doesn't mean automatic pitying.

Blog Entries

Here's a bit more of the translation on the pages. Credits to Sushi of Sppf.

More and more formidable opponents! The Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup!

Other than Ash, lots of rivals will appear! We'll introduce the participants you should watch out for!

The first round! Ash fights with Leavanny!
    Ash is determined and aiming for victory! It's time to show the power of his well-trained Pokémon!
    Caption: Ash's Leavanny using Energy Ball

Rivals you should watch out for!
    Dawn: Other than Piplup, who's always with her, Mamoswine's there too.
    Iris: Takes the challenge together with her newly-caught Dragonite!
    Cilan: Not only has a Pansage, but also a Stunfisk and a Crustle.
    Trip: Has a very fast Serperior. He's Ash's powerful rival!
    Burgundy: Cilan's rival forms a team with a Darmanitan!
    Georgia: Iris' rival. Beartic is strong against Dragon types!

The total number of participants is 16!
    These Trainers have come from all over the world. The winner gets to battle Champion Alder!

Ash: We'll win!
    He's fully motivated to win together with his Pokémon!
    Pokémon that Ash has never seen before will appear too! Look forward to what kind of battles they'll show you!

Iris in great trouble?!
    Dragonite is too stubborn! It won't listen to Iris' orders, yet teamwork is important in battles! Will they be okay?
    Caption: She may have gained a new friend, but the road to being a Dragon Master is still hard!

Iris in trouble? That poor girl. FEEL SORRY FOR HER!

Also, lol @ them hyping up Trip. Ash's POWERFUL rival. Suuuure. Oh advertisement.
    Last edited by Masurao; 14th July 2012 at 09:29 AM.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

pffffff I practically spit up laughing at the Trip part. oh my god that's hilarious

So the way this is worded, it sounds like the tournament is not restricted to one Pokemon for the entire tournament, considering there would be no other point in listing off all those the trainers have.

Which makes Iris an idiot for using Dragonite more than once when she should have gotten a clue by this battle that Dragonite's gonna cause issues, and it's not like she doesn't have another powerful Pokemon that could take on a Mamoswine. Unless Excadrill just randomly decided to cease existing. So yeah, I'm not only not inclined to pity Iris because of her all-too-fortunate run in this series, but this was an easily-preventable problem from the get-go. What a kid.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Iris using Dragonite in every battle will be her downfall. They'll show her winning one or two matches with it but lose her third.
    Aura7541 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    These Trainers have come from all over the world. The winner gets to battle Champion Alder!
    >16 participants
    >Came from all over the world

Something tells me that the advertising for this "world" tournament wasn't good. Or maybe nobody wanted to battle Alder

Which makes Iris an idiot for using Dragonite more than once when she should have gotten a clue by this battle that Dragonite's gonna cause issues, and it's not like she doesn't have another powerful Pokemon that could take on a Mamoswine. Unless Excadrill just randomly decided to cease existing.
    Iris had an Excadrill :P?
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries

I think Iris using Dragonite in every battle will be her downfall. They'll show her winning one or two matches with it but lose her third.
    That would imply Iris get's to the semi's. With a disobedient Pokemon, and one she just captured. No thanks.
    Hidden Mew likes this.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

More and more formidable opponents! The Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup!

Other than Ash, lots of rivals will appear! We'll introduce the participants you should watch out for!

The first round! Ash fights with Leavanny!
    Ash is determined and aiming for victory! It's time to show the power of his well-trained Pokémon!
    Caption: Ash's Leavanny using Energy Ball

Rivals you should watch out for!
    Dawn: Other than Piplup, who's always with her, Mamoswine's there too.
    Iris: Takes the challenge together with her newly-caught Dragonite!
    Cilan: Not only has a Pansage, but also a Stunfisk and a Crustle.
    Trip: Has a very fast Serperior. He's Ash's powerful rival!
    Burgundy: Cilan's rival forms a team with a Darmanitan!
    Georgia: Iris' rival. Beartic is strong against Dragon types!

Ash: We'll win!
    He's fully motivated to win together with his Pokémon!
    Pokémon that Ash has never seen before will appear too! Look forward to what kind of battles they'll show you!

Iris in great trouble?!
    Dragonite is too stubborn! It won't listen to Iris' orders, yet teamwork is important in battles! Will they be okay?
    Caption: She may have gained a new friend, but the road to being a Dragon Master is still hard!
    Oh wow.

16 trainers from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and more? BWAHAHA. About 7 people known from Unova participating. lol

Iris in great trouble? Yes. Hopefully she loses, but the way the description words her and her newly-caught Dragonite.
    ?
    Ash is motivated...lol...with his Leavanny. Yeah, wonder if he will win. If Iris faces off against Trip...and wins... then what?
    djulienr and martianmister like this.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So who WAS Ash's new rival in this? Was that just a mistranslation or something?

Blog Entries

So who WAS Ash's new rival in this? Was that just a mistranslation or something?
    Iris after she wins the tourney I dunno, Dawn I guess?
    martianmister likes this.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)