PREVIEW: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!! - Page 19

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree529Likes

Thread: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

Default Re: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

*stares at the clash between Garchomp and Gothitelle*

....Maximum brofist?
    Playerking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    So wait a minute, the writers planned Ash getting a Leavanny to use for the tournament well by making its evolution happen in more than 10 episodes prior to it, but they couldn't do the same thing with Iris getting a Dragonite? Sometimes it's as if they're doing it on purpose.
    I was wondered the same thing. But Ash caught Sewaddle long ago and raised it so there is not much of a comparison here with Dragonite.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Bianca and Stephan are surprisingly not in this despite being in the opening. Instead we have the main cast, Trip, Burgundy, Georgia, and nine generic COTDs.

Now I know why the first half of this episode will be devoted to Cynthia vs Caitlin. Bianca and Stephan, who usually take up most of the non-battling screentime in the tournament episodes, won't be present this time. The Iris-Georgia rivalry will only take place during this episode as Georgia will be eliminated here. I can see Burgundy being eliminated in the second episode. This Junior Cup doesn't sound as amazing as we had originally expected it to be.
    Cinderfella and Shinneth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    Yeah, Bianca and Stephan are surprisingly not in this despite being in the opening. Instead we have the main cast, Trip, Burgundy, Georgia, and nine generic COTDs.

Now I know why the first half of this episode will be devoted to Cynthia vs Caitlin. Bianca and Stephan, who usually take up most of the non-battling screentime in the tournament episodes, won't be present this time. The Iris-Georgia rivalry will only take place during this episode as Georgia will be eliminated here. I can see Burgundy being eliminated in the second episode. This Junior Cup doesn't sound as amazing as we had originally expected it to be.
    Yip, all it looks like is another Don battle tournament, though this time we have Dawn and Iris has a fucking Dragonite. Not sure why this is called the Junior WORLD cup.
    Hidden Mew likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    After I thought about the situation a bit more, I really think this whole thing is a big set-up for Iris to have a big fall.
    You know, I call bullshit on that for a few reasons.

1- If the intention is to make Iris fall, this would have been the moment, against her rival, against the one to whom she's trying to prove that Dragons are strong, etc. I'm sorry, but making Iris lose after she beats her rival and wins a round or two with her overpowered Kairyu just lacks the impact than have that devastating first round loss. That's the thing, when the writers wanted Satoshi or Hikari to have a big fall, they made them fall like crazy. Hikari's two appeal round losses and her slow climb back to being confident, that included some more stinging losses and being yelled at by her rival. Same for Satoshi being creamed by Shinji in their first full battle. Those are falls. Those are major character defining moments that you can build upon. "Kairyu, listen to m... oh nevermind, Tsunbear's already down for the count," to me just doesn't have that feeling of breaking the character down.

2- The reason Kairyu's not listening is not Iris. The summary says it's his battle instincts taking over, which means that it's still portraying Kairyu as being the problem and Iris being in the right. There's been a lot of comparisons between Kairyu and Lizardon/Mamoswine, but in both cases, the problem was the trainer, not the Pokémon. Both Satoshi and Hikari had to prove themselves to their pokémon, learn how to take better care of them, but here, if Kairyu loses, which honestly I'm doubting at this point, it'll be made out as, you can only learn when you listen to Iris for she is right and you are wrong and she knows better cause she's such a special snowflake.

3- Iris still managed to capture Kairyu after it defeated pretty much everything in its path with her luminescent powers and reading its heart; believed in him when everyone shunned him and all the usual Iris overglorification the writers pull.

Sorry, but if the intent is to break Iris down, showing her with Dragon Goddess powers and a faith in Dragons in the previous episode, and then having her blow her rival away with a Pokémon she doesn't control , cause normally that would cost characters something, but not Iris, she's above that; if that's how they're doing it... then wow... major fail. I agree with you, Yoshi, that that's what they'll attempt to do, but their inability to show Iris as being flawed, to show Iris struggling and having to work hard, learn, grow in those situations is them shooting themselves in the foot and making sure the development that could come, never will come.

Once again, they're throwing a character under the bus to glorify Iris and giving her a win she doesn't deserve as they did with Kenyan, Luke, Burgundy, Satoshi and now Langley.

Couple questions

1- Do we have a confirmation that they can only use one pokémon throughout the tournament?
    2- Do we know for sure that Shooti and Burgundy are facing off in the first round?
    Last edited by Hellion; 13th July 2012 at 06:27 PM.

I don't think its been confirmed as a 1 Poke thing yet, and it would be pretty lame if it was. Ash would have to use Leavanney for the whole tournament, which would be massively underwhelming, and Iris would be using Dragonite for the whole thing, which as a lot of people have pointed out would be wrong on soooo many levels.

Also they've all been shown to be training their pokes, Like Ash training Pignite and Oshawott learning hydro pump, Dawn training Piplup, Excadrill and Axew training, Axew learning Giga Impact etc. Most of that would suggest that more than one poke is being used. But you know, its best wishes so anything could happen

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They can probably use different Pokemon each round but it's only one on one battles.

I believe this is where we'll see Ash's Krok evolve probably in the finals.

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, there is at least one good thing coming out of this tournament:

...Er, can anybody think of anything? I'm drawing a blank here.
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

Its funny how it seemed so important in that first BW2 poster but its been really downplayed. It really is just another Don battle tournament + Dawn.

The fact that even Bianca and Stephen are absent is odd.
    djulienr likes this.

well, Iris will be kicking butts with an almost omnipotent beast that she doesn't deserve, Cabernet probably will be defeated first like ever, but not before wishing Cilan's death. Stephan crying because nobody pronounce his name correctly (and no one cares, that is Butch's joke ¬¬). Luke is not here but we have Dawn and her plushy troop, Georgia exchanging eye lightnings with Iris.
    nop i have nothing :(

yay!! its incredible, the sunglasses will be larger along with the crocodile XD

well, Iris will be kicking butts with an almost omnipotent beast that she doesn't deserve, Cabernet probably will be defeated first like ever, but not before wishing Cilan's death. Stephan crying because nobody pronounce his name correctly (and no one cares, that is Butch's joke ¬¬). Luke is not here but we have Dawn and her plushy troop, Georgia exchanging eye lightnings with Iris.
    nop i have nothing :(

yay!! its incredible, the sunglasses will be larger along with the crocodile XD
    Chronos likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    It's seems like just another waste of time, with a chance it'll make the badge collectors here (Ash, and Trip) look like jokes and be shafted in these types of tournaments...again.

I don't think I've ever set my expectations for a tournament so low. I would have taken filler over this.
    Hidden Mew, Chronos and Shinneth like this.

Blog Entries

Eh I'll still take battle tournaments over filler, no matter if they are "pointless." Battles are still battles.

I would have killed for tournaments like this back in Johto when we were sitting through endless fillers between Ash's Gyms back then. *shudders*
    C-3 likes this.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man, a little while ago I once speculated that Georgia's constantly nagging on Iris about using an actual dragon to battle could have been foreshadowing that Iris would battle with Dragon types more often (because we all know the writers do foreshadow events). And, well... it looks my hunch was correct, but it's not how I, or anyone else, anticipated it to be. Georgia will get to battle a Dragon type in a match against Iris, but Iris won't be using her Axew; instead, she'll be using a Dragonite she just caught, one that doesn't obey her... well, there's no reason to repeat what has already been said multiple times regarding what's wrong with this capture. Georgia will get her wish, but now she will pay the price for it.

It's a shame too, because, since this may very well be the conclusion to the Iris-Georgia rivalry, Axew won't get a rematch with Beartic and it doesn't look like Iris will technically be the one who wins this battle round, but rather, Dragonite alone will win this match. Hopefully there will be more to this rivalry later, perhaps with Georgia calling out on Iris for winning with a Pokemon she can't control; that would be something to look forward to. But of course, expecting something positive from BW... is apparently asking too much most of the time, and I really don't see the rivalry continuing, anway.

Blog Entries

I was just reading through this thread and I can't believe some of the Iris hatred here on this forum. She finally gets a new Pokemon a fully evolved one and everyone here starts complaining and the funny thing is the people that are complaining are the same people that wanted her to get that ice cream cone it's bullshit. Like seriously I don't understand this fandom it's like no matter what Iris does people have to complain or this forum has to complain about it.. it's like she can't do one thing without getting bashed. Yet Cilan pulls these new moves out of his ass and no one complains about it not to mention most of the time he wins by pulling out these new moves. I seriously can't take it some of the bias here is disgusting especially since it seems like that pretty boys reigns supreme here.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)