PREVIEW: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!! - Page 18

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree529Likes

Thread: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Default Re: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

I'm just glad Dragonite doesn't listens to Iris at all so his capture and this battle won't as cringe worthy as it already is.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mareepy View Post
    I take miracle as the Trainer won, as long as the miracle pull off because of the trainer. I remembering Iris shouting out to Kibago, and in return Kibago learned Outrage... So I take it more as miracle.

For Dragonite, its no miracle that it won because he/she is experienced on its own, not that Iris pull off a miracle and won, which means Iris did not do anything at all, not even successful being a cheerleader in this battle, but a bad trainer overall.
    I get where you're coming from. I just have a harder time buying that it was a typical miracle in Axew's case because it is explicitly stated to be a babby and we were shown how it took around 30 episodes to master Dragon Rage, so it being able to pull out the strongest physical Dragon-type move and get it right on the first try just came off as a bullshit variety of miracle. In the past when this kind of thing happened, in most cases the Pokemon in question were not weakling toddlers and were not learning top-tier moves (at least not early on). So those cases were more sensible. Yes, there is a valid argument that Axew learned Outrage just by Iris screaming its name, but the specific elements that made this happen make it much less plausible than previous instances.

I agree with you, though, that this Dragonite stunt in concept alone is worse than Axew learning Outrage. However way it's pulled off, even if it's a close battle (which the only benefit that serves is to not make Georgia look totally bad), it's not going to come off as justified in the least. Based on how we know this show works from many past examples, Iris is effectively screwing every rule in the book here. Georgia deserves better than this.

I'd say both this and the Don Battle incident are in the same category of bullshit, only with this upcoming example being a higher class of bullshit than the others.

(today's tl;dr is sponsored by the letter B, for bullshit)

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

After I thought about the situation a bit more, I really think this whole thing is a big set-up for Iris to have a big fall. Apparently she's going to be stuck with a Dragonite who refuses to listen to her, in a tournament that only allows one pokemon to be used. Not only that, apparently Drayden will be there, a person Iris obviously tried to avoid at all cost. Also I predict she's not going far in this tourney so...she'll probably lose, while looking like a really bad trainer, in front of one of the most important people to her. Suddenly Iris catching Dragonite doesn't seem so bad because maybe she'll finally get some character development.

I could be totally wrong about this but this is what I see for this situation.

Blog Entries

I don't think anything has been said about Drayden being here. He might be a spectator of something, but I don't think it's certain.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

No matter how ridiculous this battle turns out to be, I'm sure Dragonite's mindless carnage will be more in-depth and riveting than Iris' usual strategies.

Who is this git?

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    After I thought about the situation a bit more, I really think this whole thing is a big set-up for Iris to have a big fall. Apparently she's going to be stuck with a Dragonite who refuses to listen to her, in a tournament that only allows one pokemon to be used. Not only that, apparently Drayden will be there, a person Iris obviously tried to avoid at all cost. Also I predict she's not going far in this tourney so...she'll probably lose, while looking like a really bad trainer, in front of one of the most important people to her. Suddenly Iris catching Dragonite doesn't seem so bad because maybe she'll finally get some character development.

I could be totally wrong about this but this is what I see for this situation.
    I really, really hope you're right about this.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how important Shaga really is to Iris. She lost to him once before, and it did hurt her pride and led to her storyline with Doryuzu, but did it mean as much to her as we think it did? I am sure it still upsets her when she thinks about it, but in earning Doryuzu's trust once again was the closure she needed, it's possible that was the end of the story line.

I'm not sure she'd want to avoid him, either. Knowing Iris, she would probably want to show off her new Kairyu to him, perhaps even challenge him to another battle against his Ononokus in the future with it to prove how far she's come. Whether she's over what happened before or not, I bet she'd still jump at the opportunity of battling him again. Especially if her Kairyu is kicking ass and taking names in such an important tournament. If by chance it came up in conversation with Shirona, Shirona would probably even encourage her to do so.

Whether he's there or not, defeating a Tunbear with a Pokemon that has a 4x type disadvantage is no easy task. Kairyu must have some Flamethrowers up it's sleeve~

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see Langley/Georgia's reaction to Iris having a Dragonite, as well as her reaction to losing to it.

Maybe she won't count it as a loss seeing as how Dragonite might not listen to Iris, or maybe she'll actually try to help Iris.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Unicorn View Post
    The only thing I'm not sure about is how important Shaga really is to Iris. She lost to him once before, and it did hurt her pride and led to her storyline with Doryuzu, but did it mean as much to her as we think it did? I am sure it still upsets her when she thinks about it, but in earning Doryuzu's trust once again was the closure she needed, it's possible that was the end of the story line.
    I really hope not, because right now, that's one of the most interesting things in Iris's storyline that hasn't been completely ruined yet, in my opinion.

So yeah, if her winning this battle against Langley (as upsetting as it may be) will somehow backfire on her in the future and she develops from it, it probably won't be TOO horrible.

However, at Langley's expense though? Why her? :( I would have liked to see more out of her, and losing when you had a x4 type advantage is pretty rough, man. It's not like her Tsunbear is a pushover, either, it's basically her ace.

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Having Dragonite beat Beartic is just ugh. I was really hoping for Langley to beat Iris and then beat the crap out of Dawn too while she's at it, and then beat her other opponents too so that she could advance even further into the tournament. She's always been knocked out in round 2, it'd be nice seeing her make it to the semi-final once at least, but no.

Oh well, I'm at least glad to see that it is Dragonite who wins the battle, not Iris. If Dragonite battles Langley without listening to Iris at all it'll be just like Langley is battling a wild and very powerful Pokémon. We have previously seen that it bothers Iris a lot to battle if not both trainer and Pokémon are in sync, I mean, even though Excadrill busted Scolipede's ass bigtime and both Cilan and Ash were happy and excited about it Iris was all just like derp about it, because since Excadrill and her weren't working as a team at all she felt dissatisfied. So, having her win this battle against Beartic with Dragonite refusing to listen to her I really don't see her being too happy about her victory, it'll surely bother her a lot. And to add on that Langley will hopefully throw out some comment about Iris being a pathetic Dragon-trainer and that her victory didn't really count considering she didn't work together with her Pokémon and blahblahblah. That'd be so good, as her victory would backfire.

It'd be so much worse if Dragonite was fully obedient and trusted Iris completely, having the two of them being fully in sync just the episode after that it has been caught. Having Iris struggling with it just better. And besides, we have previously seen that when a wild Pokémon battles on its own instincts without orders from a trainer it can prove to be quite powerful, just like Buizel was. I mean, that thing beat up Piplup, Glameow AND Pikachu in a row.

Still, having a Dragon/Flying-type beat an Ice-type seems like quite the stretch. However, Dragon moves do have normal effect on Ice-types, and to add Flamethrower on that it might just become an even match, unlike the battle between Swanna and Pikachu... Both Flying-type and Water-type moves have barely any effect on Electric-types, and still Swanna beat Pikachu, who also had the x4 advantage. Did the writers take that into count? No, because Swanna apparently had Aqua Ring, which in this case was able to fully protect Swanna from Electric-type moves. If that wasn't bull, then why should this be?

I'll wait with my judgement for Iris' victory over Langley till after the episode has aired, but regardless I still am not fond of the idea of Langley losing to her.

Hey, wouldn't it be interesting if Dragonite had Multiscale? Mine has, and that ability has saved me so many times from being KOed from an Ice-type move. It also has helped to defeat lots of Ice-types due to its Fire Punch. Multiscale only works when a Pokémon has full HP, but considering that Sturdy, who hinders a Pokémon from being knocked out if it has full HP, has been treated rather different in comparison to the games (Dwebble and Roggenrola have both proven that) I don't see why Multiscale wouldn't.

Okay, I doubt that Dragonite actually will have Multiscale, but it would definitely be interesting to see how the writers would handle that unique ability.
    Last edited by Chiplet; 12th July 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Uh, typos... I should really start proofreading
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well lets hope Dawn will put Mamoswine to good use and put Iris in her place. Now that we know Dragonite has some flaws, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that an ice type with potentially greater battle experience with combos and moves mastered to heckand back would be able to curbstomp that accursed Dragonite. The way the writers continue to seemingly glorify Iris could serve as an indicator otherwise, but i will still bank on Iris getting plastered by Dawn. Could lead to some interesting development in the connection of Iris and her Dragonite.

Blog Entries

Magazine scan.

Adyniz, C-3, Likeitornot. and 3 others like this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

So wait a minute, the writers planned Ash getting a Leavanny to use for the tournament well by making its evolution happen in more than 10 episodes prior to it, but they couldn't do the same thing with Iris getting a Dragonite? Sometimes it's as if they're doing it on purpose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    So wait a minute, the writers planned Ash getting a Leavanny to use for the tournament well by making its evolution happen in more than 10 episodes prior to it, but they couldn't do the same thing with Iris getting a Dragonite? Sometimes it's as if they're doing it on purpose.
    Dragonite being caught so soon before the tournament is a direct result of the writers' choice to ban old Pokémon from the first season of Best Wishes, which was arguably imposed by the games (although I'd say the anime took it too far). It's not as if Leavanny got to do much before or after its evolution, anyway.

I just don't understand why Dragonite would allow itself to be captured and then not listen to Iris.That makes absolutely no sense. I hope at the very least that gets explained.

Weird to not see Stephan or Bianca there. Though they may still be getting the 8 badges. And I hope this isn't a 1 poke tourney, because I dont want to see Leavanney in every battle. Though I am glad he's getting some screen time, hopefully he learns some new moves, since his move set is pretty weak.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The girl standing next to Dawn in the scan looks a lot like Ursula, even if its probably just re-used art for a COTD. :p

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)