PREVIEW: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!! - Page 10

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree529Likes

Thread: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Default Re: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

This is not something you want to come onto the forums after spending 2.5 hours stuck in traffic and then 2 hours recording... I might have just table-flipped my laptop.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it might as well be the end of the line for the show........ Dragonite vs beartic? come on!!!!!!!!!!!! my hopes for this tournement were shot down as soon as i saw Gothetell use thunderbolt on Garchomp. i might as well be watching the pokemon version of fox news........ man there better be some real good fighting going on to keep me enthused. Hoping for a story about Darach!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

The only thing that would make me okay with this match-up is if Langley truly busts the fuck out of Iris.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why is Georgia even here? She wasn't in the opening or the summaries.

The funniest part of it all is how Dawn is going to be background material in this tournament due to the large number of participants. Dawn's probably only going to get 3 battles at most. Now I know why they had her appear in those filler eps prior to the tournament.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
    The only thing that would make me okay with this match-up is if Langley truly busts the fuck out of Iris.
    Iris learning that being lazy, and taking the easy way out is generally not a good idea? Haha blasphemy.

Well, if she wins here it's just another case of Iris wank...and the writers giving a massive middle finger to the central character in this show.

This seems pretty good. Should be a cool battle. And a dragon tamer actually has more than one dragon :0

Blog Entries

inb4 Iris wins the tournament, and beats Adler because he's to lazy. Cue Ash's supposed "new rival". Ash massacre's everyone at the league, somehow through some contrived plot nonsense beats the E4 and battles Champion Iris. I don't really know what to expect anymore from BW shoddy writing. Nothing will really surprise me anymore.

Go team Langley I guess. Even though she'll probably lose, and suffer the same fate as Ursula.
    Last edited by Masurao; 6th July 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

IDK about you but I think calling Iris "lazy" a bit much tbh.

In her defense, in the season she asked Cynthia to battle her Kibago so he (and Iris) can have experience battling a Dragon. Also in the Onix episode she was using her Doryuuzu to train Kibago so I'm assuming that she intended to use Kibago in the tournament.

Also I believe that Iris using Kairyu is just to learn how to sync with it, similar to Ash using Gamagaru in the first Don Tourney.

With that said, Iris getting Kairyu IS extremely lazy writing. I believe that is the only thing "lazy" about Iris.
    Karamazov and martianmister like this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    IDK about you but I think calling Iris "lazy" a bit much tbh.

In her defense, in the season she asked Cynthia to battle her Kibago so he (and Iris) can have experience battling a Dragon. Also in the Onix episode she was using her Doryuuzu to train Kibago so I'm assuming that she intended to use Kibago in the tournament.

Also I believe that Iris using Kairyu is just to learn how to sync with it, similar to Ash using Gamagaru in the first Don Tourney.

With that said, Iris getting Kairyu IS extremely lazy writing. I believe that is the only thing "lazy" about Iris.
    Iris has been traveling with Ash for 90 episodes but only a handful focused on her goal. I know this was the norm for Misty or Brock but for Iris people expected something more.
    Caseydia likes this.

Blog Entries

At the very least we probably can rule out Ash losing to Stephan, Cilan, or a CoTD. Not sure about Bianca. So he's either going to get fucked over by Iris' Dragonite, lose to Trip, or this "new rival". If Shaga, and Shizui are here..then I dunno.

Iris gets Dragonite?

Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope.

It's so hard to get behind Iris's character when the writers keep pulling crap like this. Having her win the Don battle tournament, Axew pulling ridiculously strong moves out of his ass, what the actual fuck.

Im hoping for either Ash beating Iris with Krokorok, who evolves into Krookodile, learns outrage and proceeds to beat the absolute shit out of Dragonite, or Georgie beating the absolute shit out of Dragonite with Beartic.

Either way, Iris really needs to be knocked down a peg. Or 12

Boulder Trainer Mikuri's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator

Well, now is official, Iris doesn't have to worry about a thing on her journey; all that she needs will be handed to her by the writers on a silver platter. I just hope Beartic destroys Dragonite, but with the flying version of Barney knowing Flamethrower and Iris' DEM moments, the chances are slim.
    Poor Axew, sentenced to serve as a hair accessory for the rest of the series.
    Hidden Mew, Shinneth and Caseydia like this.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I should be angry or disappointed or something but I can't. The shitstorm is too glorious.

I do hope that Drayden turns up halfway through the tournament and the whole Dragonite capture backfires, and she learns something about not taking short-cuts or whatnot. Or even Langley could do the same, because beneath the bitching Langley has been shown to care about Iris' growth.
    Caseydia likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Iris is being handled this way for two reasons:

She is the Champion in BW2
    The writers don't want Iris or Cilan to be neglected like Misty/Brock were.

I guess without a second quest like Contests the writers don't know how to show Iris' growth.
    Being the Champion in B2/W2 is no excuse for giving her such a strong Pokemon right before a big tournament. Anime Iris is still pretty different from her video game counterpart in both games, so I don't think being a champion is the video games means that her anime counterpart should be overpowered. Plus, like Masurao mentioned, she hasn't done any training, so it isn't like she deserves this powerhouse anyway. As for not wanting to neglect Iris or Cilan, they've been doing a pretty good job with neglecting Iris. She gets more screentime/focus than Misty did, although I don't think that says much, but she rarely battles, hasn't developed during the course of the series and still doesn't have a reason for traveling around with Ash. The only reason they're giving her a Dragonite, aside from a marketing standpoint with having another Kanto Pokemon in the main cast, is that they want to make it look like Iris is a strong trainer and has come a long way when I seriously doubt that it will come off like that.

Though, I agree that without a side quest like Contests the writers don't know how to develop Iris and give her character development. That's pretty pathetic when they could really show Axew growing at a decent rate, even without evolving it to develop Iris. Making it a decent battler and actually giving Iris believable wins shouldn't be that hard.

My initial reaction when I saw the episode title was basically this: "What?" This seems pretty lousy if Iris does indeed capture that Dragonite. That actually makes me wonder if it would be worse than Dawn getting Togekiss before the Grand Festival. It feels just about as annoying, or possibly more so due to how much I dislike the writing around Iris's character, and it's just about as cheap. Dawn training Togekiss for a couple of episodes didn't really change how they handed her a powerful Pokemon out of nowhere instead of working more on the Pokemon she already had and actually deserved to be in the Grand Festival. Admittedly, Iris doesn't have a team like that or has worked hard at all during the series, but I think it's cheap and a case of poor writing in both cases. The only advantage this could have would be Iris possibly bonding with Dragonite while Dawn was barely on screen with Togekiss before she got it. That wouldn't really change how cheap and horrible it is to give a character like Iris who has been given free passes throughout the series and has made little progress with Axew, despite how the writers seem to like overpowering it with the moves it has learned after Dragon Rage, an overpowered Pokemon like a Dragonite. I would happy if this was setting Iris up for a defeat by either Georgia or Drayden, but I'm not sure if I'm that lucky. In any case, this is just a horrible move since not only does it reduces Axew's screentime/focus, which it honestly needs, but it also continues to make Iris look like a much better trainer than she actually is, despite being incredibly inactive and then glorified whenever she does battle. I remember back to when I thought Iris was full of potential and was eager to see where the writers were going with her. I honestly kind of miss that since it was better than hoping she doesn't get any more focus due to the horrible writing and eager to see her leave at the end of the series so a hopefully better female character can take her place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Though, I agree that without a side quest like Contests the writers don't know how to develop Iris and give her character development. That's pretty pathetic when they could really show Axew growing at a decent rate, even without evolving it to develop Iris. Making it a decent battler and actually giving Iris believable wins shouldn't be that hard.
    How's that even possible?

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)