Was BW for testing things for XY anime? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Was BW for testing things for XY anime?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Was BW for testing things for XY anime?

Quote Originally Posted by Chocadial View Post
    Now that I think of it yeah it the others were Meh but the OS HAD probably the Best Comedy and Funny Moments so yeah it is great as well. AG Was Ok but was not a Fan of some of it's Characters especially with the Return of Brock and he was so Bland to me after that and was necessary for the other Regions I think.

Also on another Note HAPPY 500TH POST I FEEL GREAT ABOUT IT AGAIN AND IT WILL BE THE LAST TIME I WILL DO THIS BEFORE GOING TO Africa.
    Sadly agreed on Brock's fate since AG. He was admittedly getting really dull and stale since then, but I could still tolerate him because Eric Stuart still made him really funny and likeable. Also, back when Bill Rogers started playing him in BF, he still made him likeable at the time and his voice still somewhat resembled Eric Stuart's version of Brock. In DP, I was horrified by what happened to him. He didn't get much screen time, and was constantly shafted. I really didn't like how they changed his goal from being a Pokémon Breeder to a Pokémon Doctor. I mean, sure, it's also a good goal. At the same time, it's that Brock was around for so long, and they just decide to change his goal like that at the last minute. I feel that didn't do him justice.

Blog Entries

THE ONLY THING IMLIKED ABOUT Brock IN DP WAS Croagunk OR MY NICKNAME FOR HIM IS Toxic Mouth JABBING Brock WAS THE BEST IT THINK AND BOTH OF THEIR INTERACTIONS IN THE FIRST DP SEASON WAS GREAT I THINK.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

THE ONLY THING IMLIKED ABOUT Brock IN DP WAS Croagunk OR MY NICKNAME FOR HIM IS Toxic Mouth JABBING Brock WAS THE BEST IT THINK AND BOTH OF THEIR INTERACTIONS IN THE FIRST DP SEASON WAS GREAT I THINK.
    Same here. His Pokémon had a lot of personality, and it was funny to see Croagunk Poison-Jab him whenever he was up to his usual flirting. XD.
    Darth Darkrai likes this.

Blog Entries

I am trying to stay on Topic and not get into trouble so Sorry everyone and I think BW WAS TRYING SOMETHING NEW MAYBE SO that it could get new Fans to like the Show maybe but it really did not work so well here.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I am trying to stay on Topic and not get into trouble so Sorry everyone and I think BW WAS TRYING SOMETHING NEW MAYBE SO that it could get new Fans to like the Show maybe but it really did not work so well here.
    I feel the same way. It was going for a fresh start, but the problem I see with it was the execution, not so much the idea of it all. Actually, for a while, it made the series feel very fresh and fun to watch again.

Ash shouldn't have been regressed to the extreme he has been. Sure, he's always been reset a bit since Hoenn began, but he still retained most of his knowledge from the prior regions. They should've had him retain most of his skill and knowledge or intelligence from DP, but retain his more childish, emotional, and immature persona of the OS if they wanted to somewhat refresh him. It would've been the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Also, Team Rocket shouldn't have been made serious if they weren't able to give them more screen time, and wouldn't retain their personality. The idea of making them serious itself, however, was quite brilliant on the BW writers when you think about it for a while. They may have finally gained Giovanni's respect and were taking orders from him directly, essentially making the reality realizing their dreams more reachable. Shame they sadly shifted personalities again because it made the whole feeling of TRio lose its steam and sadly they just don't feel the same as the lovable goofballs they once were as much anymore.
    Darth Darkrai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    I feel the same way. It was going for a fresh start, but the problem I see with it was the execution, not so much the idea of it all. Actually, for a while, it made the series feel very fresh and fun to watch again.

Ash shouldn't have been regressed to the extreme he has been. Sure, he's always been reset a bit since Hoenn began, but he still retained most of his knowledge from the prior regions. They should've had him retain most of his skill and knowledge or intelligence from DP, but retain his more childish, emotional, and immature persona of the OS if they wanted to somewhat refresh him. It would've been the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Also, Team Rocket shouldn't have been made serious if they weren't able to give them more screen time, and wouldn't retain their personality. The idea of making them serious itself, however, was quite brilliant on the BW writers when you think about it for a while. They may have finally gained Giovanni's respect and were taking orders from him directly, essentially making the reality realizing their dreams more reachable. Shame they sadly shifted personalities again because it made the whole feeling of TRio lose its steam and sadly they just don't feel the same as the lovable goofballs they once were as much anymore.
    I'm going have to disargee, BW series fresh new start was a very great idea and it work a whole lot better here then it did for the AG/DP sagas which both didn't really have that much of a fresh start or change for the show. BW Team Rocket needed to be change back to being serious villians like they were in the OS and the writers did a really great job making TR into more serious threats like they were meant to be, in the Hoenn and Sinnoh series they were way too goorfy and less of a threat, but in the Unova series Team Rocket has been redeem aswell as Ash.

I always found it funny how some people thought DP series was really great, when in reality it was poorly handled as a entire arc, Brock's character was at it's peak during the Kanto/Johto series arcs, in Hoenn Brock was okay but not that great, but in the Sinnoh series they pretty much ruin the characters mainly Brock because he became a boring dull character without any personality, but atleast the BW series reset Ash's character back to having a great personality unlike that terrible personality that Ash had in the DP series.
    Last edited by Pikacuh; 14th July 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Blog Entries

That is totally fine with Me I think

Blog Entries

To answer the OP's question, I say no. The idea that the writers would spend an entire series writing just to plan out the series after that is rather silly and impractical. The writers just chose to do things directly in BW, in terms of characters, battles, and plots. And that's all I'm going to say on this front because anything else would be off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikacuh View Post
    I'm going have to disargee, BW series fresh new start was a very great idea and it work a whole lot better here then it did for the AG/DP sagas which both didn't really have that much of a fresh start or change for the show.
    While I respectfully disagree with most of the opinions in your post, I'm going to ask, why don't you think AG was much of a fresh start for the series? Advertising wise, this was the start of a brand new series, Ash got a new outfit for the first time, Misty (who was the secondary mainstay of the show in the OS behind Ash + Pikachu) was dropped in favor of a new, proactive main character, Ash left his team (sans Pikachu) at Oak's Lab right from the start for the first time and Ash and Pikachu traveled somewhere new alone for the first time. The writers even made it seem like Brock was leaving (as in, a total replacement of Ash's friends) even though all that came out of it was that one side story with his mother. Also, Ash was shown to be in a mentor-esque position for the first time, showing some change in his character.

Team Rocket was pretty much the same, but everything else seems to point towards the writers wanting to start things anew with AG (and that sentiment echoes from the same thing occurring in Ruby & Sapphire)
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was no more of testing ground than OS, AG and DP generations were. Only difference is higher tendency of breaking patterns writers established consistently in past(such as removal of second quest, Brock being gone, Ash catching dark type, main protagonist getting fully evolved pokemon right of the bat etc) which isn't that much surprising considering how innovations and new ideas are required in longer run to break predictability and introduce something exciting, unexpected which would attract viewers toward anime.

Unfortunately most of ideas while noble, having interesting premise behind themselves were executed poorly due to lack of writer experience and possible quarrels happening between staff.

Initially i welcomed new features like Don George battle clubs, everyone having their rivals, Ash rotating pokemon etc, but poor execution and shoddy writing is what took away from genuine appeal of this series and potential to be truly fantastic arc., Needless to say very scarce continuity pretending like history, previous Ash travels and companions never existed in first BW half and inconsistent, forced development of main cast were series big minus taking away from credibility of this show reflecting very badly on protagonist growth and storyline which is supposed to be treated like consistent plot which builds on itself.

So in that sense writers tried to implement something new, there is no denying that. But they should had put more effort in their product and provide plausible background behind some things instead of changing things just for the sake of being changed.

[

I always found it funny how some people thought DP series was really great, when in reality it was poorly handled as a entire arc, Brock's character was at it's peak during the Kanto/Johto series arcs, in Hoenn Brock was okay but not that great, but in the Sinnoh series they pretty much ruin the characters mainly Brock because he became a boring dull character without any personality, but atleast the BW series reset Ash's character back to having a great personality unlike that terrible personality that Ash had in the DP series.
    I have to disagree in here.
    In DP Brock may have been neglected,but if there is one thing writers did right was fact how Sinnoh fleshed out Brocks character more in aspect of being breeder than other series did being given finally pokemon egg to display his true knowledge and skills raising it to healthy and powerful Chansey participating in several competitions. His skills were often recognized among other characters and he showed plenty of character when having chance to shine still being goofy, eccentric liking to seduce other girls, wise and mature looking after Ash and Dawn helping them to train or prepare for battles etc.

Main issue was lack of focus and opportunity to display consistently his qualities and virtues which backfired negatively on his activity and interactions with main cast having weak connection between themselves. But that's more writer , rather than character guilt.

Also i didn't found Ash boring in DP,. He was full of personality there still being naive, stubborn, caring for pokemon etc but he also displayed consistently maturity and growth he went through as character being more confident, open minded and firm in his own beliefs he firmed about pokemon as noticed in dispute going with Paul.

Something i liked personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    While I respectfully disagree with most of the opinions in your post, I'm going to ask, why don't you think AG was much of a fresh start for the series? Advertising wise, this was the start of a brand new series, Ash got a new outfit for the first time, Misty (who was the secondary mainstay of the show in the OS behind Ash + Pikachu) was dropped in favor of a new, proactive main character, Ash left his team (sans Pikachu) at Oak's Lab right from the start for the first time and Ash and Pikachu traveled somewhere new alone for the first time. The writers even made it seem like Brock was leaving (as in, a total replacement of Ash's friends) even though all that came out of it was that one side story with his mother. Also, Ash was shown to be in a mentor-esque position for the first time, showing some change in his character.
    I suppose with this he meant how series didn't experienced such drastic turn of events like BW saga did. Most of original cast continued on AG generation, there was more continuity and connections with previous pokemon and characters and characterization of certain characters was faithful to what was established before. Unlike sudden and without explanation change in TR personalities.

That said only thing which would had made AG saga better for me is that Misty stayed as second girl in main cast allowing for new unexplored dynamic and i find it was shame to replace someone who had lot of potential left to be done more being very enjoyable character. However that aside its my second favorite series.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'm going have to disargee, BW series fresh new start was a very great idea and it work a whole lot better here then it did for the AG/DP sagas which both didn't really have that much of a fresh start or change for the show. BW Team Rocket needed to be change back to being serious villians like they were in the OS and the writers did a really great job making TR into more serious threats like they were meant to be, in the Hoenn and Sinnoh series they were way too goorfy and less of a threat, but in the Unova series Team Rocket has been redeem aswell as Ash.

You're talking to the guy who disliked DP for pretty much all the same reasons as you, found Brock badly handled, and found Ash having little to no personality. Yes, I find it overrated beyond belief as well. Not bad, but definitely overrated.

I was actually trying to say what could've improved BW for those fans somewhat to make it more tolerable, but this is the first series since Hoenn/First Portion of AG that I've actually been enjoying. XD.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 15th July 2013 at 06:59 AM.

Eternal ComakariShipper dracoflare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow dracoflare on Tumblr

Ash had enough personality to be a good battler. I am content with that. I don't care much for his childish antics, which he was shown to grow out of in a progressive manner for 650 episodes.
    Ever read an Ikari+Pearlshipping fic set in an AU?

Other Fanfiction
    Road to be a Pokemon Master <---Slightly Popular Tournament Fic featuring Ash.
    Beyond Truths and Ideals<--Featuring a clash between Ash, N, Team Rocket,Team Plasma and much more.
    50 Shippings to Boot With<--Mega Project to write 50 One-shots for 50 different Shippings.

You're talking to the guy who disliked DP for pretty much all the same reasons as you, found Brock badly handled, and found Ash having little to no personality. Yes, I find it overrated beyond belief as well. Not bad, but definitely overrated.

I was actually trying to say what could've improved BW for those fans somewhat to make it more tolerable, but this is the first series since Hoenn/First Portion of AG that I've actually been enjoying. XD.
    I argee with you. But to be truthful the DP series was never consider to overrated as far as i know, i don't know why some fans are trying to make the DP series be overrated when it never was.

AG series was okay to a certain point, but it wasn't all that great or well written.

The BW series is well like by fans and the animation has been greatly improved.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe Best Wishes started something like late 2010 or early 2011. Between then and 2013, you basically have a whole "generation" of kids, most of whom have entered and then left the "target audience" for Pokémon and have moved on, not that they obviously aren't older kids and people who follow Pokémon as well.

As someone already said, its kind of silly to think they would basically treat a whole major section of the show's long history as a mere "test" to improve things for the next series.

With any long running series, when the writers are planning new seasons, they always consider what was well and poorly received about earlier series and bring in new ideas as well, aside from the fact that this series is reasonably formulaic in its overall arcs, even if individual episodes can vary significantly.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Considering that the creative team and staff most likely wouldn't receive notice about X/Y that far in advance, like when the series started, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would consider it a test for XY. It did bring new ideas to the table and tested them out, but that's pretty much the case for every series, so BW isn't any special in that regard. They certainly wouldn't make BW only to figure out what works for the next series. They hopefully learn from what did and didn't work with one series as they plan out the next one, but that still doesn't make it any more of a test than the other series were.
    SammyW27 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

BW is not a complete test bed. Initially, I thought it was anti-DP.

New female lead has nothing to do with Contests or player characters
    Brock is replaced for the very first time
    Small gaps between Gyms
    TR doesn't appear in any episode, and it is not a Golden Poop Squad
    Plasma appears in a small chunk of episodes, all together, instead of Galactic which was spread around.
    Touranment Arcs
    Filler Regions...

If XY becomes anti-BW, it will be quite close to DP, which is good :))

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast