Best Wishes - what happened? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Best Wishes - what happened?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Wishes - what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    While Black and White 2 definitely altered plans, I find the idea that the seismic disaster didn't really change much of anything and that Team Plasma was always meant to have their own arc more and more plausible.

Episode N has so little elements from Black and White 2 (I believe there's only Colress, who could have has easily been worked into the dual third versions as was originally planned [just like Charon], and Team Plasma's new outfits, which are purely aesthetic) that I think it could easily been the original plan for Team Plasma all along.

I also wouldn't find it surprising if the writers always wanted to do an arc like Da!. They could have easily showcased more locations in Eastern Unova but it seems like they just didn't want to.
    Plasma being openly evil and N wandering around completely separate from them wasn't from B2W2? I mean, yeah, that could have been written based on the first pair if the writers felt like taking a whole buncha liberties that month, but still.

... Actually, if I remember correctly, in one of the previews for the two-parter a grunt speaks of their "hero" (presumably N) as though he's a part of their organization, so N's role was quite possibly changed at some point.
    Alright, I'll guess I'll give you that, I didn't really consider that. The way I see it, Episode N itself is the writers taking a buncha liberties with the source material so assuming they always wanted to do an arc like this, changes from their original plan are quite immaterial; and, since the writers took those buncha liberties, their portrayal of Plasma was based less on new games (well, in some cases) and just what the writers thought would work well.

I was wondering if the plan might have been to have N be king during the skipped two-parter, but have him leave Plasma by the time the Team Plasma arc rolled around. The flashback episode of Episode N establishes that Reshiram interrupted N's coronation so he didn't really become King, but I guess that's a minor enough detail.

Now say we got dual third versions (Light Grey and Dark Grey or something like that) as originally planned instead of sequels. Even if Team Plasma in the games weren't openly evil and still used the facade of liberation, I could totally see Team Plasma in their TV series arc being openly evil just as they are now because it would better suit the writers' plot. I digress.

From the skipped 2-parter we saw what I believe was Plasma Grunts in disguise at some kind of social function, I wonder what was up with that.
    PockyAddict and Hidden Mew like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    It's clear that at some point the producers just plain gave up on making BW as good as it could be and just decided just to kill time and pander to fans while promoting new/upcoming games. The Seismic Disaster might've played a big part, but there's more to it. The Sequel Games, Gen 5's shortness and some last minute Gen 6 promoting were thrown into the mix and BW ended up being one of the worst sagas ever (THE Worst )
    Well, I have to agree somewhat. Even if they weren't going to do the Team plasma vs Team Rocket thing, they could have still showed N instead of waisting time with Meowth who really didn't need the extra screetime unlike N did earlier.

For starters, they should've had the rules changed to where Ash needed 10 badges to enter the League. That way they still could've promoted the new games with Homika and Marlon (with Homika getting a better battle) with Drayden still being last (maybe using some his Pokémon from the World Tournament to be more of a challenge) so they could have a storyline to work with. All at a better pace, of course.
    I don't know if it should have been a rule but Ash could have went and challenge Drayden and Marlon anyway and earn two extra badges just because he felt like it. It's just battling. It's no harm. However the Homika gym still could have been better than what it was.

Speaking of the World Tournament, they should've given it an arc to kill time while brining back old characters and Pokémon aplenty. Would've beaten the heck out of the slog that was Junior Cup and even that sorry excuse for a League.
    I don't know if bringing older characters would have helped. They already had Dawn and Cynthia there. Plus they were so busy focused on Iris and Trip's story that they almost forgot everyone elses. I doubt it would have made it better.

What they should have done was had Trip win the first Don competition, let Bianca win the second and Ash win the Junior Cup so that everyone would get and even shot as his rivals plus Dawn could have battled Ash in the Junior cup instead of waiting until after. Rather than battling Iris yet again.

Ash didn't have to be an idiot who won through dumb luck and deus ex machinas,
    That's not really Ash's fault. Sandile wanted to evolve at the time. Plus Iris would have won yet again with her deus machinas.

Iris didn't need to hog the spotlight with an overpowered Dragonite & her problems magically solving themselves,
    That's probably because of the hype of the BW 2 that was just released and they thought to throw everything for her at that time. Bad way to do it though.

and Cilan could've been more useful and less annoying
    He was pretty okay in the beginning but it seemed like they forgot about him after the clublosion or something along those lines. However, I did enjoy his battles with Trip though.

Kotty and Virgil could've shown up earlier and more to have better build up and more depth aside from being grotesquely stupid and infallible, respectively.
    I personally would have just focused doing a better job with Bianca and Trip rather than give all that attention to two people who really wasn't all that long or who wasn't that much developed yet. Plus, rather than Cameron, I would have rather them focus on Virgil as the league rival instead of another dumb character. Because of him Ash and Bianca weren't able to have their battle or Ash and Virgil.

There's certainly no reason for such a terrible, terrible League (a filler episode right in the middle of it? Really?!)
    The league is probably one of my pet peeves with Best Wishes. And I hate to say it but that Axew filler was least of the problems with it.

Kanto was messed up by the Seizure Incident, but still had decent writing and good moments. Johto was messed up by the GS Herring, but was able to get its groove back in grand fashion (IMHO). Isshu? Things just got out of hand and the producers eventually decided to half ass it and move on...
    I hate to go off topic but Kanto unlike the TR vs TP earthquake thing didn't stop the kanto series to finish any plot. The kanto series was less affected compared to the other stuff. As far as the GS ball is concerned, I forgot about it anyway because of all the unecessary fillers.

But all and all, I agree that they could have did a much better job if they wanted to with Best Wishes.
    SammyW27 likes this.

Blog Entries

Alright, I'll guess I'll give you that, I didn't really consider that. The way I see it, Episode N itself is the writers taking a buncha liberties with the source material so assuming they always wanted to do an arc like this, changes from their original plan are quite immaterial; and, since the writers took those buncha liberties, their portrayal of Plasma was based less on new games (well, in some cases) and just what the writers thought would work well.

I was wondering if the plan might have been to have N be king during the skipped two-parter, but have him leave Plasma by the time the Team Plasma arc rolled around. The flashback episode of Episode N establishes that Reshiram interrupted N's coronation so he didn't really become King, but I guess that's a minor enough detail.

Now say we got dual third versions (Light Grey and Dark Grey or something like that) as originally planned instead of sequels. Even if Team Plasma in the games weren't openly evil and still used the facade of liberation, I could totally see Team Plasma in their TV series arc being openly evil just as they are now because it would better suit the writers' plot. I digress.

From the skipped 2-parter we saw what I believe was Plasma Grunts in disguise at some kind of social function, I wonder what was up with that.
    Saying they always wanted to do an arc like this is a pretty big assumption, though, especially given that they did use some significant character roles from B2W2. Unless the anime writers speak up about what they originally planned like with the GS Ball arc (which we only heard about like eight years later...), we can't really assume anything about how much was changed. But then I guess that goes for my argument as well :P

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    Kanto was messed up by the Seizure Incident, but still had decent writing and good moments. Johto was messed up by the GS Herring, but was able to get its groove back in grand fashion (IMHO). Isshu? Things just got out of hand and the producers eventually decided to half ass it and move on...
    Kanto's Porygon episode was a filler, not a plot-turning event, so it's not really comparable- it's like saying the Whishcash episode being canceled presented a huge problem to Hoenn. All that got messed up was the schedule. On the other hand... most people don't like Johto that much because of all the fillers, which I'm sure are due at least in part to having a chunk of the plot removed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Saying they always wanted to do an arc like this is a pretty big assumption, though, especially given that they did use some significant character roles from B2W2. Unless the anime writers speak up about what they originally planned like with the GS Ball arc (which we only heard about like eight years later...), we can't really assume anything about how much was changed. But then I guess that goes for my argument as well :P
    Maybe, but part of the argument for this would be Team Rocket's intended role. Given how long it takes to work an episode (8 or so months, right?) by the time the disaster hit, work would have already begun on the Meowth arc and the Team Rocket episodes in Nimbasa City. I think we can assume Team Rocket was meant to be the main villains of Best Wishes pre-league. Maybe not. If Team Rocket was always intended to be the villanious team before the league, that wouldn't preclude Team Plasma from making further appearances after the skipped two-parter, but I would wonder how exactly the writers would fit them in. I find the fact that Team Rocket was planned to have another villanious arc before Team Plasma re-appeared pretty telling. Now again, there could have very possibly been Team Plasma appearances planned sometime after Nimbasa City that were scrapped after the disaster, but I kind of doubt it. Just my opinions.

I also think we can safely say the writers never planned on adapting the fight between N and the player character and their two dragons in the games, or the events leading up to it. I suppose the decision to have Reshiram and Zekrom star in movie 14 kind of precluded that plot from appearing in the TV series (unfortunately), which, ironically enough, happened with the GS Ball and Celebi in movie 4.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

I also think we can safely say the writers never planned on adapting the fight between N and the player character and their two dragons in the games, or the events leading up to it. I suppose the decision to have Reshiram and Zekrom star in movie 14 kind of precluded that plot from appearing in the TV series (unfortunately), which, ironically enough, happened with the GS Ball and Celebi in movie 4.
    I agree with this. pretty much.

If we consider the assumption they never intended to adapt the Tao Trio plotline because they were going to have big roles in the movies (like what happened to the would be GS Ball arc), then every game plot involving the mascot legendaries is doomed by default because these Pokémon are always going to be stock legendaries for movies at some point.

By the way, it is a lame excuse because the movie starring the Eon Duo didn't stop Takuto and Joy from using them, the same stands for Darkrai. And the Tao Trio movie didn't stop Zekrom from appearing and zapping Pikachu, the same stands for Reshiram's appearence at Episode N. Jirachi appeared on a recent episode, even though it had a movie too and he is supposed to awake only once each 1000 years.
    The anime doesn't treat legendaries as unique species, so it shouldn't be a bother. They learned from the GS Ball incident the legendaries are ensured to star in movies, they didn't adapt this game plot merely because they didn't want.
    Last edited by Magma Bomb; 17th July 2013 at 07:58 PM.
    SammyW27 and YamiiDenryuu like this.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Magma Bomb View Post
    By the way, it is a lame excuse because the movie starring the Eon Duo didn't stop Takuto and Joy from using them, the same stands for Darkrai. And the Tao Trio movie didn't stop Zekrom from appearing and zapping Pikachu, the same stands for Reshiram's appearence at Episode N. Jirachi appeared on a recent episode, even though it had a movie too.
    The anime doesn't treat legendaries as unique species, so it shouldn't be a bother. They learned from the GS Ball incident the legendaries are ensured to star in movies, they didn't adapt this game plot merely because they didn't want.
    Don't forget Palkia and Dialga popping in the DP movies but their storyline was still used (and to a lesser extent Regigas), Lugia getting a neat three parter (in the area it could be found in the Gen 2 games no less!) I actually found better than Movie 2, Suicune popping before and after Movie 4, The Golems appearing after Movie 8, and Deoxys showing up thrice after its Movie. Heck, Groudon and Kyogre were screwed over in both formats!

Celebi's story arc might've been to similar to Movie 4's plot (or so we're led to believe), but I see no reason Legendaries can't appear in both the Show and the Movies. Especially since the Show lets them play an better role while the Movies are just made to bilk the fans
    Last edited by SammyW27; 17th July 2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magma Bomb View Post
    If we consider the assumption they never intended to adapt the Tao Trio plotline because they were going to have big roles in the movies (like what happened to the would be GS Ball arc), then every game plot involving the mascot legendaries is doomed by default because these Pokémon are always going to be stock legendaries for movies at some point.

By the way, it is a lame excuse because the movie starring the Eon Duo didn't stop Takuto and Joy from using them, the same stands for Darkrai. And the Tao Trio movie didn't stop Zekrom from appearing and zapping Pikachu, the same stands for Reshiram's appearence at Episode N. Jirachi appeared on a recent episode, even though it had a movie too and he is supposed to awake only once each 1000 years.
    Your part in bold seems to be disproving the idea that legendaries can't appear in the TV series because they star in movies and are supposedly unique, but nobody's saying that. I said what I did because movie 14 used the plot of the games. It's basically the Zekrom vs. Reshiram battle sans Team Plasma. I believe this is the first time in a while that a movie has used a plot from the games. I don't like how movie 14 used up the Zekrom/Reshiram battle from the games because I like that better than the TV series' focus on Team Plasma and the two dragons, but that's just me.

And I agree that legendaries can appear in the movies and the TV series. Like I said, nobody's really disputing that. Like SammyW27 mentioned, Dialga and Palkia had a big role in both the movie trilogy, and the Team Galactic, but both were totally separate and it didn't feel repetitive or anything. I would have preferred that the Reshiram/Zekrom plot with Team Plasma was used for the TV series [just because of how great it is] and the movies got their own original plot, but obviously that's not how it turned out.

Not really relevant, but the TV series has yet to explore the connection between the two dragons. Every time Reshiram and Zekrom appear or are mentioned, it's always separately. Feels weird when they have what's probably the greatest connection of any two legends [or one of the greatest connections] but movie 14 explored it to a decent extent, I guess.

Also not really relevant, but I guess things were different back in the Johto era. The Johto Games didn't really have any legendary at the forefront of the story, so I guess there was no easily extract-able plot to use for the show.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 18th July 2013 at 04:30 PM.

The Jewel Party

I'm not saying the writers are desperate, but that they planned it since the beginning. It takes time to write up the show, then write up the storyboards for it, then animate it and then have voice actors voice the characters. So I think it would take literally months for the producers to plan the episodes out in advance before it's planned to be aired on television.

Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

I believe the plans were actually different before the earthquake. Team Plasma originally having only a two-parter is unlikely, so I think that was only their debut to the series and the conclusion to the Meteonite plot. They were probably going to appear in more episodes spread throughout the series, with N's introduction in one of those episodes. The staff just scrapped the Team Plasma-focused episodes after the two-parter was delayed and removed the direct or indirect references to those episodes from the already produced/planned, still unaired episodes (I'm sure at least Ash and Cilan met Dr. Zager in those episodes, as oppossed to what is said in BW075, for example).

Then there's another factor: Black 2 and White 2. They probably wanted to leave the League for the end of the series, but they went by rushing everything to... I don't know. Probably they decided not to use Team Plasma after the end of the League when they were told about BW2. Alternatively, they were going to follow the games, having N interrupting the League (which would take place a little time after it ended up being), then a little arc about Team Plasma, then the League continues and Ash travels to Western Unova, where he mets with Dawn and Cinthya and we have some fillers before the finale; but they changed everything to promote old Pokémon (as in BW2) with Ash going to Western Unova. They noticed there would be too much Team Plasma between the 8th badge and the League, plus the BW era ended and so did the BW Team Plasma, so they had to simply destroy their plans and start all over with BW2 Team Plasma.

Still doesn't explain that League. That was just bad writting, perhaps. Oh, and the Decolora arc: they noticed they couldn't build up an entire arc for 6 months with Team Plasma and they already had the League coming sooner.

About Team Rocket, their departure had two reasons: see how people would react to such characters leaving the series (and if it was positive, not returning them), and being them back after some time so they didn't changed back the motto and their personality so abruptly. Also, their departure could have been planed long before but they didn't aired the Plasma episodes yet, and they needed the TRio back for Episode N if they wanted at least to use some of the ideas they had for that arc, including Looker's return.
    It doesn't matter if you aren't going to reach the goal, as long as you're still happy doing the trajectory.

Blog Entries

I don0t believe the idea that Team Plasma weren't going to appear at all between the skipped 2-partner and the league. I think that Team Plasma were going to planned to appear around the Kami Trio arc.

Why? Because the Kami trio related episodes were delayed one month (substituting for 3 fillers aftert the Kami Trio episodes) and it's really weird. Add that the fact that a ANA short of summer 2010 (the only one aired on TV) aired in nthe normal timeslot and the moving of the episodes, with conflicting magazines included (which, in Japan, it's rare).

IF Team Plasma were in those episode,s it explains why that got delayed.

And about Season 2, the Dawn cameo thing is probably the last thing planned for that The reused artwork from DP says that she was added at the "last minute" into the arc. That could expl,ain the lack of new clothes, the lack of changes and the fact that in the JC was ignored except for a battle (simpl,e, the JC was planned without her).
    Last edited by Nymphia; 19th July 2013 at 02:32 AM.
    SammyW27 and karczx like this.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GO, GO, GO, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I want to start with XY as soon as is possible.

I have unpopular opinions: I prefer an older character returning but it isn't from the original trio. I was one of the few who liked both DP and BW. And I think that TR shouldn't leave in the anime.

The JC only focused on Ash and Trip, so even with the addition of Hikari, it didn't do anything. It's known that the series composer, Atsuhiro Tomioka's favorite character on the show was Hikari and worked on her development a lot. They used the JC as an opportunity to squeeze Hikari into the show. Since it's geared mainly towards a new generational audience specifically, they would have to explain what contest battling is and what coordinators are to the new audience, who are likely to be confused by it since there are no contests in Gen V games. To be honest, the whole JC arc was pretty lazily planned by the looks of things. They could have had that short arc without the new addition of Hikari, but they did so in order to promote Piplup goods. Judging by what happened, sales were probably popular enough to justify Banpresto's "I love Marine" line. And unlike BW, BW2 added old Pokemon and new routes (because almost the entirety of Gen 5 Pokemon did not have any relation to previous gen Pokemon). Gen 5 was only intended to last for three years, and therefore the seasonal break is attributable to the release of BW2. DA, of course was something to showcase something else, mainly that it's a nostalgia-based filler arc, but also at the same time, introduces the audience to Kalos in a way with the introduction of Alexa and her Pokemon. The main intention of Gen 5 was to invoke the feel of Gen 1 throughout its games and anime, and carried it to the point of BW2.
    Nymphia and SammyW27 like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by karczx View Post
    The main intention of Gen 5 was to invoke the feel of Gen 1 throughout its games and anime, and carried it to the point of BW2.
    People keep saying that. While it may have invoked such feelings, there is no official statement that that's what they were trying to do.
    Bubble Frog, Nymphia, Yato and 2 others like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabo 2oo View Post
    I believe the plans were actually different before the earthquake. Team Plasma originally having only a two-parter is unlikely, so I think that was only their debut to the series and the conclusion to the Meteonite plot. They were probably going to appear in more episodes spread throughout the series, with N's introduction in one of those episodes. The staff just scrapped the Team Plasma-focused episodes after the two-parter was delayed and removed the direct or indirect references to those episodes from the already produced/planned, still unaired episodes (I'm sure at least Ash and Cilan met Dr. Zager in those episodes, as oppossed to what is said in BW075, for example).

Then there's another factor: Black 2 and White 2. They probably wanted to leave the League for the end of the series, but they went by rushing everything to... I don't know. Probably they decided not to use Team Plasma after the end of the League when they were told about BW2. Alternatively, they were going to follow the games, having N interrupting the League (which would take place a little time after it ended up being), then a little arc about Team Plasma, then the League continues and Ash travels to Western Unova, where he mets with Dawn and Cinthya and we have some fillers before the finale; but they changed everything to promote old Pokémon (as in BW2) with Ash going to Western Unova. They noticed there would be too much Team Plasma between the 8th badge and the League, plus the BW era ended and so did the BW Team Plasma, so they had to simply destroy their plans and start all over with BW2 Team Plasma.
    I just don’t really find it plausible that the writers were going to have Team Plasma appear all the time, since the writers have to give both them and Team Rocket completely separate focus [since I think Team Rocket was always planned as the main villains pre-league] which I think would be a little bit much.

Wasn’t it stated from day 1 that Best Wishes would be faster-paced than everything else before it? The writers breezing through all the gyms in a relatively short amount of time was always planned, I believe, as well as the league. It’s just probably how they wanted to do things: go through the gyms and league quickly, have extra stuff after the league. Black and White 2 caused some changes, no doubt, but I think it’s very possible the core elements were planned out from day one – have a filler arc between the 8th gym and the league.

I think Dawn returning was a given, regardless of BW2, just because that's what the writers do. Cynthia and Undella Town were in the original games, and the World Tournament Junior Cup could have easily been a Don George tournament. I am a little interested in the finer details of the writers’ plans before the sequels came about [e.g. Ash’s 8th gym battle].
    I don’t think N interrupting the league was ever part of the plan, since I don’t think the writers ever had any intention of adapting the Team Plasma plot from Black and White 1 – again, because they wanted to do something different. Supposing we got dual third versions instead of sequels, it probably would have old Pokémon anyway, just like Plantium’s expanded Pokédex, because having old Pokémon come back is just the logical next step after keeping them out of BW1.

Still doesn't explain that League. That was just bad writting, perhaps. Oh, and the Decolora arc: they noticed they couldn't build up an entire arc for 6 months with Team Plasma and they already had the League coming sooner.
    Again, I think this is just how the writers wanted to do things: Have Cameron beat Ash, and close things out with a filler arc. The way the writers sped threw the badge quest, which I think was planned from the beginning, pretty much made a filler arc like Da! inevitable. The writers would have to be pretty delusional to think a villain arc could fill the entire rest of the series after the league.

About Team Rocket, their departure had two reasons: see how people would react to such characters leaving the series (and if it was positive, not returning them), and being them back after some time so they didn't changed back the motto and their personality so abruptly. Also, their departure could have been planed long before but they didn't aired the Plasma episodes yet, and they needed the TRio back for Episode N if they wanted at least to use some of the ideas they had for that arc, including Looker's return.
    I don't think this is so. After leaving to Kanto, the Team Rocket trio returns only 12 episodes later at the start of Episode N. Remember how long it takes to produce an episode? (7-8 months) The producers would have started working on Episode N months before Team Rocket's "farewell" episode even aired on TV. I don't know why the writers had Team Rocket leave seemingly forever only to come back 3 months later, but it seems to have been planned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphia View Post
    I don0t believe the idea that Team Plasma weren't going to appear at all between the skipped 2-partner and the league. I think that Team Plasma were going to planned to appear around the Kami Trio arc.

Why? Because the Kami trio related episodes were delayed one month (substituting for 3 fillers aftert the Kami Trio episodes) and it's really weird. Add that the fact that a ANA short of summer 2010 (the only one aired on TV) aired in nthe normal timeslot and the moving of the episodes, with conflicting magazines included (which, in Japan, it's rare).

IF Team Plasma were in those episode,s it explains why that got delayed.

And about Season 2, the Dawn cameo thing is probably the last thing planned for that The reused artwork from DP says that she was added at the "last minute" into the arc. That could expl,ain the lack of new clothes, the lack of changes and the fact that in the JC was ignored except for a battle (simpl,e, the JC was planned without her).
    The Team Plasma 2-parter being skipped resulted in all the episodes after it being aired 2 weeks earlier than they were supposed to [well, 3 weeks early at first, since the Castelia City fishing episode was also skipped as well, until it eventually aired shortening the gap to 2 weeks.] As far as I understand it, the scheduling oddities, including having a Pikachu short air in the main series' timeslot, were done solely to have the episodes air back on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by karczx View Post
    The JC only focused on Ash and Trip, so even with the addition of Hikari, it didn't do anything. It's known that the series composer, Atsuhiro Tomioka's favorite character on the show was Hikari and worked on her development a lot. They used the JC as an opportunity to squeeze Hikari into the show. Since it's geared mainly towards a new generational audience specifically, they would have to explain what contest battling is and what coordinators are to the new audience, who are likely to be confused by it since there are no contests in Gen V games. To be honest, the whole JC arc was pretty lazily planned by the looks of things. They could have had that short arc without the new addition of Hikari, but they did so in order to promote Piplup goods. Judging by what happened, sales were probably popular enough to justify Banpresto's "I love Marine" line. And unlike BW, BW2 added old Pokemon and new routes (because almost the entirety of Gen 5 Pokemon did not have any relation to previous gen Pokemon). Gen 5 was only intended to last for three years, and therefore the seasonal break is attributable to the release of BW2. DA, of course was something to showcase something else, mainly that it's a nostalgia-based filler arc, but also at the same time, introduces the audience to Kalos in a way with the introduction of Alexa and her Pokemon. The main intention of Gen 5 was to invoke the feel of Gen 1 throughout its games and anime, and carried it to the point of BW2.
    Like I said above, Dawn would probably return eventually regardless of BW2. In addition, even if we got third versions instead of sequels, we'd still have old Pokémon just because that was the logical next step. While BW2 definitely affected things, I don't think it changed too much in the big picture, since anything besides sequels [like dual third versions] would have led to the same things.

(If there's an abundance of "I think" or "I believe" in my posts, it's because I'm not affiliated with anybody calling the shots and I'm just speculating!) :p
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 19th July 2013 at 05:02 PM.

The Jewel Party

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Everything has been planned out from the start except

1. The earthquake was unexpected.
    2. The release of sequels

Those two factors may have contributed to the horrible writing of the series because they had not been expecting that. Nobody would have thought an earthquake would occur exactly when they were about to get Team Plasma into action. This probably changed thwir script because they postponed the introduction of the team. By how even Giovanni was making personal appearances in the trailer, I'm willing to bet they might have planned a Giovanni vs Ghetsis at some point, but...earthquake.

And the sequels. The writers probably expected third versions with only a few extra content. But then they were notified of the sequels - which have more than just a few extra contents. They probably had to prepare new episodes and discard the original plan because the sequels must appear in the series in any way. Like others pointed out, they probably planned Ash to challenge Drayden for the last badge around the time they wrap up with Iris. However, the sequels included new gym leaders, and they probably wanted to boost some ratings by introducing one of them - and their choice was Roxie, who would make a strong impact on the show with her kid-rebel punk rocker appeal. So Ash got his last badge earlier than they originally planned - hence, the gym battle was rushed and forced.

The sequels also introduced Neo Team Plasma, so they found this a good opportunity to bring them in. They probably wanted to get them resolved before the Genesect movie, so they dedicated an entire arc to N.

So two major things changed the course of writing, and resulted in a few bad arcs.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast