Best Animation Style?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sashaa
  • 2 Post By P0KEM0N

Thread: Best Animation Style?

Default Best Animation Style?

What was your favorite style of animation used in the Pokémon anime?

Me: Advanced Generation Arc (season 6 to 8) it (IMO) was simple enough in quality for me to enjoy it the most.

I still wished they used that animation style for future arcs (DP, BW, XY)

=]

Default Re: Best Animation Style?

I liked the style they used at the end of DP c:
    foxkrystal likes this.

XY has the best animation I've seen in Pokemon. I also love the hand drawn animation from Kanto/Johto.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

XY.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Up until XY I would have said AG and OS from mid to late Kanto onward (the first half or so of Kanto looked pretty rough). The colors were great and everything had that classic anime look to it. They did switch from cels to digital at the very end of Johto, but I have a hard time telling the difference unless I see pics side by side. They did a great job of maintaining a consistent look despite a change in technology IMO.

DP I thought leaned too much on the cool side of the color temperature scale, dominated by blues, purples, and pinks. This might have been to reflect Sinnoh having a cooler climate. The backgrounds got more detailed, but I thought some of the panning and zooming effects they used looked cheap, and we saw the introduction of that weird neon grass. I love DP story-wise, but visually I didn't enjoy it as much as earlier seasons.

At first I liked how BW went for a brighter look than DP, but after a while I started to find the colors garish and artificial-looking. Not only did the grass look neon, so did most of the other backgrounds too. I ended up not being a fan.

XY is blowing me away visually. I love how they've gone back to a classic anime color scheme, with warm, rich colors. And the camera work...my God, the camera work. This is one of the best-looking shows I've seen in a long time. My sole complaint is that the vegetation still occasionally looks neon, but it's thankfully been toned down.

I created a topic about this a while ago but it's probably far down in the forum anyway. I liked the original seasons the best (mainly in season 1) I just think it had a better feel to it and less shiny and smooth. It seemed to have a bit more character in it for some reason. This could all be biased due to me growing up with that season but honestly I think it's the best animation style.