Aspects That OS Trumps Other Sagas In

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Aspects That OS Trumps Other Sagas In

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Default Aspects That OS Trumps Other Sagas In

To me, the following are better in OS than other sagas:

Characters that didn't wear out their welcome.
    COTDs that were actually compelling instead of just stock characters (mostly Kanto)
    More creative stories that aren't just copy and paste from the games
    A more grand sense of adventure
    Better battles that weren't drawn out, nor did they try too hard to be "epic", which they're not (that last part is not referring to OS battles, in case some people are confused).
    Marketing didn't get in the way of putting out a good quality product crafted with effort and passion.
    Aimed at a wider age range, which meant there was something for everyone.
    Actual emotion that wasn't forced (both characters and stories).
    Best character interactions.
    More iconic Pokemon, as well as better personalities for them (well, most of them).

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Aspects That OS Trumps Other Sagas In

Well, i can only say OS was better because Ash 10-year-old-replacing-Pokemon was not too forced, and the humour was better (FAR better).
    COTD, sense of adventure, creative stories, battles, and Pokepersonalities weren't that great.
    Marketing was part of a problem even back then. Focus on Pikachu and Ash's Kanto starters was apparent. Still, it was not negative since it did not affect the female lead like later sagas. Ash gets the spotlight, his pokemon get the spotlight, no problem with that. It's Piplup/Axew that seem forced.

And NO! Battles were awful! In fact, they could not handle them until Ash's fifth badge, and gave him the Badges out of chores! The Orange League was not about battling, and the best battles were arguably vs Clair, Drake and Harrison (yes, he lost, but the battle was better than most others)
    Ash v Gary at Johto League was awful compared to Ash v Paul, Ash v Brandon and such. (well, better than Ash v Cameron, anyway...)

And last but not least... NO CONTESTS (again, Best Wishes falls back...)

Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by dino97 View Post
    COTD, sense of adventure, creative stories, battles, and Pokepersonalities weren't that great.
    Umm...it just looks like you CPed a few words I typed and then put "not that great" at the end xD Not saying you did, just pointing something out.

Marketing was part of a problem even back then.
    Maybe, but it didn't affect the quality of the actual show, and they still had to put in lots of effort, since Pokemon wasn't established then, which meant you couldn't slap "Pokemon" on anything and expect it to be lapped up.

Focus on Pikachu and Ash's Kanto starters was apparent. Still, it was not negative since it did not affect the female lead like later sagas. Ash gets the spotlight, his pokemon get the spotlight, no problem with that. It's Piplup/Axew that seem forced.
    I can agree on the last part. I don't dislike Piplup/Axew as much as most people, but still.

And NO! Battles were awful! In fact, they could not handle them until Ash's fifth badge, and gave him the Badges out of chores!
    "Pity" badges broke the norm, and had a good storyline to back it up.

The Orange League was not about battling, and the best battles were arguably vs Clair, Drake and Harrison (yes, he lost, but the battle was better than most others)
    Those battles were good, I'll admit.

Ash v Gary at Johto League was awful compared to Ash v Paul, Ash v Brandon and such.
    I'm sorry, but Ash vs Brandon (final battle) sucked. Also, Ash vs Paul was just a forced "epic".

(well, better than Ash v Cameron, anyway...)

And last but not least... NO CONTESTS (again, Best Wishes falls back...)
    Almost anything's better than Ash vs Cameron.

No contest (which didn't even exist) is a good thing, at least for me.
    Last edited by speedingbulletbill; 2nd June 2013 at 04:06 PM.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Being chronologically first?
    Caseydia and Hoopa like this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As long as we're not including the repetitive Johto saga with the OS, I can say the show had fewer bad episodes back then.

If we include Johto than retract my statement times 1000.

Blog Entries

*ignoring the rest of the thread*
    There is only one thing I will credit the original saga for, and that is that it was plainly written as a comedy. In that aspect, it far surpasses every other saga. There is literally nothing else I can give it too much praise for, except perhaps for being such a large deviation from the games. The companions are vaguely better than the others that Ash would eventually have, except that May and Dawn actually have plots. TR was only really impressive for two things, but that could be what they would eventually become weighing down on them. Ok, maybe I will admit that the background established for TR would serve as the most depth any character was given on the show. What I cannot stand far outweighs these things, though. This is why I changed my opinion and made the original saga the bottom of the barrel for me, although the Unova League saga is not too far behind it.
    Magenta Fantasies likes this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    lolwut? It may have felt that way when you're, you know, watching the series as a kid rather than a teen/adult, but in reality, the show always has, and always will be, aimed primarily at kids ages six to twelve-ish. About the only thing that might be considered "more mature" about the OS is the anime-style slap-stick humor (ie: fan-slapping) that was toned down after the series became worldwide - and even this is questionable - but otherwise, the show was just as much for kids then as it is now.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post
    lolwut? It may have felt that way when you're, you know, watching the series as a kid rather than a teen/adult, but in reality, the show always has, and always will be, aimed primarily at kids ages six to twelve-ish. About the only thing that might be considered "more mature" about the OS is the anime-style slap-stick humor (ie: fan-slapping) that was toned down after the series became worldwide - and even this is questionable - but otherwise, the show was just as much for kids then as it is now.
    There were real handguns shown in a few episodes, but I agree that's it.

Blog Entries

Yes, it was aimed at kids, but again, it had something for everybody. It was darker back then, had a real sense of tension and urgency, and nothing was toned down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    There were real handguns shown in a few episodes, but I agree that's it.
    Right, forgot about that. Well, we have had missle launchers and the like in later series too, even if they may not have been as blatant or anything that looks too much like a handgun.

Yes, it was aimed at kids, but again, it had something for everybody. It was darker back then, had a real sense of tension and urgency, and nothing was toned down.
    I think you may need to elaborate on the "real sense of tension and urgency" part, because I could name some examples of that in later series too, such as just about any episode involving Pokemon Hunter J in DP. I'd say probably every series had something for everybody.

Blog Entries

I think you may need to elaborate on the "real sense of tension and urgency" part, because I could name some examples of that in later series too, such as just about any episode involving Pokemon Hunter J in DP. I'd say probably every series had something for everybody.
    When I say "something for everybody", I mean it wasn't limiting itself to a child audience. Just from the top of my head: Charmander being left in the rain (they even said it could have DIED if its tail flame went out), SS Anne, the whole Sabrina thing.

Blog Entries

When I say "something for everybody", I mean it wasn't limiting itself to a child audience. Just from the top of my head: Charmander being left in the rain (they even said it could have DIED if its tail flame went out), SS Anne, the whole Sabrina thing.
    Okay, but even still, in later series (or I guess, DP for both of these examples) we've had (at the top of my head):

Paul's intense training with Chimchar
    Pokemon Hunter J throwing Ash out of her air ship when they were high above ground and then later even DYING when her whole ship sunk to the bottom of a lake

Blog Entries

Okay, but even still, in later series (or I guess, DP for both of these examples) we've had (at the top of my head):

Paul's intense training with Chimchar
    Pokemon Hunter J throwing Ash out of her air ship when they were high above ground and then later even DYING when her whole ship sunk to the bottom of a lake
    The second one is arguable, but the first one doesn't even come close to Damien abandoning Chimchar, since it was filled with melodrama, plot "convenience", and whining (after the tag battle arc). Both of them are pretty dark, but not compared to dark OS episodes for me.
    Last edited by speedingbulletbill; 16th February 2013 at 11:24 PM.

I can't honestly say I agree to any of these. OS is second to worst in my book, only slightly better than BW. I like that episodes were more humorous, and I love that they were actually Japanese. But god, are they boring episodes. There are a few fantastic episodes, and some are awesome for being so insane, but most are just plain boring.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

In terms of darkness in the original series, the first thing that comes to mind is one name: Sabrina. If you can tell me that, as a kid, you saw those episodes and didn't feel even a bit of dread fill you, then...this metaphor would kinda fall apart, wouldn't it?

I'll let that sit there for awhile.

Now, one thing that the OS had that was far better than the later seasons, in my opinion, was pacing. Not so much Johto, which moved at the pace of a snail, but Indigo and Orange Islands were brisk, fast seasons. They felt snappy. They felt intense. They finished one gym? Onto the next! None of this twenty episodes without a gym fight nonsense. Just straight to the throat.

Now, another thing that made sense? Ash being a novice. As a character, he was still learning the ropes. When he made stupid mistakes, it made sense. It felt like, even at the end of Indigo, that he had grown up as a character. It makes whenever he acts like an idiot later on seem a little silly and stupid.

Now, I will agree that most of the fights were pretty brief and simple in the OS. Higher budget later on? Yeah, you're gonna get better battles. Still, do you know what the OS had more than the later seasons? Tear jerkers. REALLY big tear jerkers. Like, the kind that left scars growing up. Pikachu's Good-bye, Butterfree's Goodbye, and Gotta Catch you Later. Tear jerkers to the extreme!

...plus, the original series had Ash's mom.

I can go on and on, but you can probably tell I'm a little biased toward the OS. I may not be a fair judge. However, I do really feel that the original series shined in certain respects.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast