Ash's Traveling Companions: What if he gets a Female-Version of Brock? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What would you think of a "female Brock" in Ash's traveling crew?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to see it

19 51.35%
  • No, there is no one who can replace Brock (male or female)

6 16.22%
  • Not sure

6 16.22%
  • No, a female Brock would only look like a prostitute

6 16.22%
  • Answer not listed

5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ash's Traveling Companions: What if he gets a Female-Version of Brock?

Default Re: Ash's Traveling Companions: What if he gets a Female-Version of Brock?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFromNewBarkTown View Post
    Well, that'd be ok, but it'd need to be Ash, Female Brock, AND Brock. No one can replace Brock at this point.
    We could have the male companion be like Ruby - fawning over cute and beautiful pokenon. The female companion constantly flirts with older guys. A lot of other anime have girls flirt with every older guy they meet so I can't see why pokemon had to be an exception
    Thats ok about the female Brock, thats a good idea for a char, but Brock shouldn't be replaced.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Ash's Traveling Companions: What if he gets a Female-Version of Brock?

Brock was already basically replaced by Cilan. :/

Anyway, a girl who's flirty with guys wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'd rather her not be TOO much like Brock. Brock was awesome for a time, but he got old and stale. I don't want any characters repeating the exact same concept. Aka, vicious flirt that cooks well and wants to be a breeder.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Brock got old and stale because he stayed around for way too long. One region for the flirty girl will be fine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I wouldn't mind if she had some traits like Brock such as liking older guys compared to her own age and maybe she can be pulled away by her own pokemon. But other than that, I would rather she did something as well as cook bad food. Now that would be something unique.
    You see? This is what I'm talking about! That would be a great twist to have her be the cook but not be good at it making Ash, Pikachu and their third traveler cringe whenever they heard her call out "Breakfast! Lunchtime! Dinnertime!"

Really, it would be nice to see Ash step up, he doesn't have to be the "cook" but it would be nice to see him use some of the things Brock taught over the "years" in terms of Pokemon food skills and whatnot.

I remember in Power Rangers Samurai the Pink Ranger cooked all the time and STUNK at it REALLY BADLY but it was a fun little running gag.

And unlike Brock, give her something to travel for. Seriously as some of you mentioned it was true Brock's only role was reduced to cook, doctor/nurse for the Pokemon and getting "stabbed" with Poison Jab when talking to girls and it just got OLD because seriously it was like the writers didn't know what to do with Brock.

In AG, Max was kind of his "partner" in terms of dragging him away from girls and he was like Ash's little brother as well. And the 3 and May kind of bounced off each other in terms of energy and a point in their travels but in DP Ash and Dawn really clicked while Brock was just "there." And he got "killed off" to his hometown in the end.

So, if we do get a female "Brock" I hope she has a good goal or REASON for going on a journey with Ash you know?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought about this quite a few times, but it seems writers find more suitable that girl part of group is around Ash age , having similar mindset and aspirations so that he could have easier time in interacting and relating to each other. While they leave older, more "experienced " characters in that field to be ones who will try to seduce opposite gender and see if they have luck with it.

Having flirty girl for change would by all means bring whole new outlook on show and group dynamics bringing extra tension and comedy in cast through different, unseen so far light. Since girl in case she is interested in males could use different approach than Brock did not being so blatantly obvious and straightforward. Being more subtle and shy leading to awkward situations.

Now that i think about it Misty out of female travelers used to be flirty too liking romance alot. Showing interest in doctors, gym leaders, professors which research extinct pokemon or dress as heroes like Gligarman fascinating her.

Though since we are talking about Brock type of character she doesn't count obviously, not being nearly as much uplifted and full of hormones like good old legendary womanizer was.:p

That said yes i wouldn't mind getting girl for a change which would try to find love of her life, possibly being older part of group for change too. Though only if she aside from that had actual storyline and dreams she attempts to accomplish providing justification and stronger reasoning behind existence. Rather than chasing only other guys and cooking.

Brock got old and stale because he stayed around for way too long. One region for the flirty girl will be fine
    Ash and TR are in anime for even longer.
    Long stay plays no difference if writers know how to take advantage of it and keep things fresh. With Brock main problem was writers lack of motivation and planning to do something more significant with his story, which would support his stay and give new twist to it.

As for stale, i believe that's up to personal opinion because many still find him enjoyable.
    Personally i find he had pretty good role until DP came where he was neglected just too much.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 8th July 2013 at 02:29 AM.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't like that. First of all, that gag got old and annoying with Brock. Not to mention that they basically just did the same thing with Oshawott which was even more annoying and useless. I'd rather a new running gag if any. Also I just can't picture a girl beng as flirty as Brock without seeming...basically, like the fourth option says, like a prostitute.

So it's okay for a guy to flirt with every girl he meets, but not a girl........not sure if that's an insult for women or men LOL. I'll leave it at that.

But yeah......I guess people do view upon such characters as prostitutes.....but what does it say about Marina from the Raikou special? :p
    Ever read an Ikari+Pearlshipping fic set in an AU?

Other Fanfiction
    Road to be a Pokemon Master <---Slightly Popular Tournament Fic featuring Ash.
    Beyond Truths and Ideals<--Featuring a clash between Ash, N, Team Rocket,Team Plasma and much more.
    50 Shippings to Boot With<--Mega Project to write 50 One-shots for 50 different Shippings.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    I wouldn't like that. First of all, that gag got old and annoying with Brock. Not to mention that they basically just did the same thing with Oshawott which was even more annoying and useless. I'd rather a new running gag if any. Also I just can't picture a girl beng as flirty as Brock without seeming...basically, like the fourth option says, like a prostitute.
    The girls from Sailor Moon constantly flirted with every single guy they could possibly flirt with (even though some of the girls already had steady relationships!!), and nobody viewed them as prostitutes. Likewise, there are also cartoon girls who change their boyfriends nearly every episode and they never get viewed as such. I don't know what the heck is wrong with girls flirting with guys when guys hitting on girls is viewed as 'okay'.

Blog Entries

The girls from Sailor Moon constantly flirted with every single guy they could possibly flirt with (even though some of the girls already had steady relationships!!), and nobody viewed them as prostitutes. Likewise, there are also cartoon girls who change their boyfriends nearly every episode and they never get viewed as such. I don't know what the heck is wrong with girls flirting with guys when guys hitting on girls is viewed as 'okay'.
    I really can't compare it with Pokemon. Sailor Moon is shojou while Pokémon is a children's anime where different elements are used in each show and viewed differently. I have no problem with a girl having one or two small crushes, but constant flirting like Brock did would just be weird. I don't even view Brock flirting constantly as being okay; I personally found it annoying, but not as much as if it were a girl. It's just how society has made out that image to be.

Overall, like I said before, my overall problem with the gag is that it's annoying and has been done throughout the entirety of the show.
    Last edited by Sakuraa; 8th July 2013 at 11:52 AM.

That is all. I don't want a girl who desperately goes around flirting and always gets shut down, that spot is already filled with Brock. Someone who uses flirting to get around and invoke jealousy and annoyance (for fun and for her own profit) would do, but such flirts would be delivered with comedy and occasionally she would get shut down, which would lead to her getting super angry or something. Melody was a really entertaining character, and her '' flirt '' with Ash and constant remarks of how Ash is Misty's boyfriend was funny. Someone like her would probably be a fun character in the anime as well.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

NO (x100), there should be no other version of Brock, it's bad enough they took him out, but replacing him with someone that has his gimmick is a slap in the face, and ultimately pointless (if you're going to use someone like Brock in personality, why not just USE BROCK)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurk View Post

That is all. I don't want a girl who desperately goes around flirting and always gets shut down, that spot is already filled with Brock. Someone who uses flirting to get around and invoke jealousy and annoyance (for fun and for her own profit) would do, but such flirts would be delivered with comedy and occasionally she would get shut down, which would lead to her getting super angry or something. Melody was a really entertaining character, and her '' flirt '' with Ash and constant remarks of how Ash is Misty's boyfriend was funny. Someone like her would probably be a fun character in the anime as well.
    But Melody was kind of a badass though. I wouldn't mind if someone like her was to flirt with slightly older guys with her arrogance only to be turned down. That would be funny.

A female version of Brock? - no thanks, I'm already annoyed that Brock did it, reason I disliked him a lot.

Every time Brock did that, it remind me of a bad childhood (I had an abusive uncle who would flirt with all women he saw, and tried to get me to be the same way, I refused) it ruined any 'fun'ness that this joke would have.
    #1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
    I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Weasel-Challenger View Post
    A female version of Brock? - no thanks, I'm already annoyed that Brock did it, reason I disliked him a lot.

Every time Brock did that, it remind me of a bad childhood (I had an abusive uncle who would flirt with all women he saw, and tried to get me to be the same way, I refused) it ruined any 'fun'ness that this joke would have.
    No joke; if there was an award for most honest answer you win. This is probably one of the most honest answers of why a fan disliked something on the show. Seriously, this answer was better than the standard; "I just hate Brock!" without giving an explanation as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Weasel-Challenger View Post

No joke; if there was an award for most honest answer you win. This is probably one of the most honest answers of why a fan disliked something on the show. Seriously, this answer was better than the standard; "I just hate Brock!" without giving an explanation as to why.
    Thanks, but its a painful truth! (I'm always as truthful as possible in all my posts - that uncle got deported back to Mexico almost 3 years go).
    I'm sort of the same as way of thinking as you. Really dislike "I hate (character)" without giving a reason
    #1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
    I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast