Ash's Dad - Page 2

View Poll Results: What Should Ash's Dad's Role Be?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Champion of a Future Region

26 27.66%
  • Elite Four Member

1 1.06%
  • A Rival Trainer in a Pokémon League Championships

5 5.32%
  • A Gym Leader

2 2.13%
  • A Rival

2 2.13%
  • Mediocre Trainer

8 8.51%
  • Travelling Companion

2 2.13%
  • Leader of a Villainous Team

20 21.28%
  • He Shouldn't Be In The Anime

16 17.02%
  • Other (Please Specify)

12 12.77%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Ash's Dad

Trophies

Default Re: Ash's Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Benster404 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Power of Aura View Post
    But Ash is only 10. :P
    And the Anime has been going for over 15 years...
    Anime time isnt real time... We dont know when ash last saw his dad but we cant judge it on real time.
    Bill Cipher likes this.

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

Quote Originally Posted by fawfulmark2 View Post
    I get the feeling his father will be somehow connected to the Ho-oh Ash always follows.
    Haha, that reminds me of an interview with a storyboard artist from the show. They asked him about that, but the specific question was whether Ho-oh was Ash's father. Of course he just laughed. He said that Ho-oh is basically just a plot devise to keep Ash moving.

Link to the interview: Interview with Masamitsu Hidaka at Anime Expo (July 3rd, 2008)
    Yato likes this.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fawfulmark2 View Post
    I get the feeling his father will be somehow connected to the Ho-oh Ash always follows.
    Haha, that reminds me of an interview with a storyboard artist from the show. They asked him about that, but the specific question was whether Ho-oh was Ash's father. Of course he just laughed. He said that Ho-oh is basically just a plot devise to keep Ash moving.

Link to the interview: Interview with Masamitsu Hidaka at Anime Expo (July 3rd, 2008)
    I hate it when they do that, just throw in lazy plot devices to get them moving, then just leaving a hole in the plot, and forgetting about them hoping the public are dumb enough to forget, like the GS Ball, it's insulting!

I always thought Ash's Dad had died (maybe with or without Ash and Delia's knowledge) and was resurrected into Ho-oh (a phoenix) hence Ash's English name being Ash, because a Phoenix rises from the Ash. Think the Japanese writers may have informed the 4Kids to name him that, because they planned to use it, then just forgot about it.
    fawfulmark2 likes this.

Follow Benster404 On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    I always thought Ash's Dad had died (maybe with or without Ash and Delia's knowledge) and was resurrected into Ho-oh (a phoenix) hence Ash's English name being Ash, because a Phoenix rises from the Ash. Think the Japanese writers may have informed the 4Kids to name him that, because they planned to use it, then just forgot about it.
    I don't think so, as the anime was originally planned to only run for a year or so
    PockyAddict likes this.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic61470_1.gif

追放されたバカ

I don't think so, as the anime was originally planned to only run for a year or so
    Well when 4kids started dubbing the series had been running in Japan for over a year already. Also however they planned to end the series clearly never got used.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Well when 4kids started dubbing the series had been running in Japan for over a year already. Also however they planned to end the series clearly never got used.
    I think what Benster meant was that the original Japanese version was going to run for only a year or so. Most anime usually start with a short series, and they make more episodes if it turns out to be popular enough. (Digimon Adventures was supposed to be only 13 episodes, but it got hugely popular that they extended the series.) If the anime moves on to be a long running series, sometimes, the anime creators forget to include info from the beginning of the series, which we know as plot holes.

But back to the topic, it's common in a lot of shounen anime where the main boy eventually challenges his mentor, father, older brother, or role model. It wouldn't be weird to have Ash challenge his father to a battle someday. They could have Ash's dad appear as someone formidable. Not necessarily a villain boss, but I'd like the idea he'd appear in a Pokemon League as a powerful trainer.

追放されたバカ

I agree, I think he could be the head of some sort of league we've not seen before. Like you have to be a League Champion to qualify. And to demonstrate Ash's Dad's Strength he could beat someone like Lance or Cynthia with just the one Pokemon, using one attack each time to take out all 6 of theirs.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

I have a feeling, if Ash's father ever appears, his main Pokémon will be -gasp- PIKACHU!

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He could be Giovanni's brother (that Giovanni killed), making Paul and Ash cousins.

I'd love him to be Takuto.
    Last edited by BlazeMaster; 27th August 2012 at 05:34 AM.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post
    He could be Giovanni's brother (that Giovanni killed), making Paul and Ash brothers.
    Wait, Paul is related to Giovanni? Since when? Do you mean Silver, by chance? (If so, that would make them cousins, not brothers).

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    He could be Giovanni's brother (that Giovanni killed), making Paul and Ash brothers.
    Wait, Paul is related to Giovanni? Since when? Do you mean Silver, by chance? (If so, that would make them cousins, not brothers).
    Yeah, I meant cousins. But I think that Paul is Giovanni's son.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Follow Benster404 On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Yeah, I meant cousins. But I think that Paul is Giovanni's son.

Seeing as Paul lives in Sinnoh where there is very little Team Rocket activity i doubt that very much
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic61470_1.gif

Blog Entries

I've always theorized that Ash's father is a womanizer and ran out on his family at a young age. He's probably nothing special and was never really explained well because the writers just didn't care to give Ash a father character.
    PockyAddict likes this.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    He's probably nothing special and was never really explained well because the writers just didn't care to give Ash a father character.
    I agree with this. Brock, James and May & Max are the only main characters to have both parents present and accounted for, after all. It practically seems to be the norm for families to have one or even both parents absent without mention in the Pokemon anime.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash's father was nothing more than a throw away line. I never understood why people sat there thinking there was going to be some sort of epic storyline with Ash's father showing up.

Its not a plothole whatsoever, its random fans making a big deal out of nothing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast