Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

The Porygon episode does have an additional stigma which the other problem episodes don't - whereas with the earthquake episodes they were merely reacting to events outside of their control, in this case they actually were at the centre of the problem.

The seizure incident was far from a terrible tragedy - as far as I'm aware, all of the children involved recovered - but it's still a pretty severe embarrassment when you're making children's entertainment for your product to be a direct source of harm for such a significant number of younger viewers. For that reason alone I can see them never wanting to revisit it.

no one wants to take chances by showing such episodes which already caused some serious damage with audience in past...and japanese know this very well...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    What was the problem with Kadabra? Was it the Uri Gellar lawsuit? Or something else? I did hear that some people associated Kadabra with Satanism, but I don't see that as a very likely reason for banning it.
    The Geller lawsuit was the "problem" referred to, yeah. Sorry for not clarifying.
    Geller lost the case, but since the entire case was based around Kadabra Pokemon cards in specific, the TCG designers apparently felt more comfortable not making any further Kadabra cards after this.
    That's a shame. My signature card (when playing against friends, since my whole deck is old and illegal) is the Base Set Kadabra.

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    The Porygon episode does have an additional stigma which the other problem episodes don't - whereas with the earthquake episodes they were merely reacting to events outside of their control, in this case they actually were at the centre of the problem.

The seizure incident was far from a terrible tragedy - as far as I'm aware, all of the children involved recovered - but it's still a pretty severe embarrassment when you're making children's entertainment for your product to be a direct source of harm for such a significant number of younger viewers. For that reason alone I can see them never wanting to revisit it.
    Yeah, I haven't heard that any of the seizures resulted in death, but it's still a tragedy regardless. Hospital bills are expensive (well, I don't know how it is in Japan), not to mention the inconvenience that all those kids's families had to go through.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

To clarify, I was meant that it wasn't a terrible tragedy on the scale of the 3/11 earthquake which lead to the Plasma special being pulled. Naturally it was still a very pleasant situation in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    To clarify, I was meant that it wasn't a terrible tragedy on the scale of the 3/11 earthquake which lead to the Plasma special being pulled. Naturally it was still a very pleasant situation in its own right.
    That is true, but the seizures were a direct result of the show. But the earthquake just happened on its own and had nothing to do with the show other than the fact that the episode coincidentally had an earthquake in it. If they aired it then it might be looked at as being in bad taste, since it could appear that they are taking advantage of people's misfortune in order to make some profit. But in reality that's not at all what they'd be doing. It's not like they knew that that specific earthquake was going to happen and intentionally made it into a plot point. Japan gets earthquakes quite frequently... there's no reason to permanately ban everything that happens to have an earthquake in it. In my opinion, that's definitely too sensitive, especially in Japan where smaller-scale earthquakes are pretty common to begin with.

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    That is true, but the seizures were a direct result of the show. But the earthquake just happened on its own and had nothing to do with the show other than the fact that the episode coincidentally had an earthquake in it. If they aired it then it might be looked at as being in bad taste, since it could appear that they are taking advantage of people's misfortune in order to make some profit.
    I don't get how they'd come to that conclusion- to me that sounds like one would think they made the episodes because of the real earthquake.

But in reality that's not at all what they'd be doing. It's not like they knew that that specific earthquake was going to happen and intentionally made it into a plot point.
    I think, though, there's little to no one (and by little I mean young kids who haven't learned how TV works) who would think the TRvsTP thing would last forever.

Japan gets earthquakes quite frequently... there's no reason to permanately ban everything that happens to have an earthquake in it. In my opinion, that's definitely too sensitive, especially in Japan where smaller-scale earthquakes are pretty common to begin with.
    What happened in March 2011 wasn't a small scale earthquake, and not only was it an earthquake it triggered a big tsunami. I doubt if it was some really minor earthquake postponing things would be an issue.

I haven't looked up how severe the one in 2004 was that got the Barboach episode banned, but I figure it was strong enough that an earthquake-themed episode, especially one that was inconsequential (unless the overconfidence in battle Ash showed in the next episode, the one where he battled Drake, started in this episode *shrugs*), wasn't in good taste to air, so they skipped it and... whether they tried to or not, didn't find a new place to air it.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    What happened in March 2011 wasn't a small scale earthquake, and not only was it an earthquake it triggered a big tsunami. I doubt if it was some really minor earthquake postponing things would be an issue.
    My point is, earthquakes in general are common to that area. Most are small-scale... this particular one wasn't. It doesn't really matter. What's stranger is that if this particular earthquake did not occur then I'm willing to bet that they'd have no problem showing the episode. So what does that indicate? Countless people have died in past and future earthquakes, if they were to disregard all those deaths simply because a massive earthquake did not occur "at the time" then they'd be being just as insensitive, but I highly doubt that anyone would even care. People would not care because it's not at all "insensitive" in the first place -- the earthquake in the episode has nothing to do with any real-world earthquake.

What happened last year isn't a just an earthquake, it's a SEISMIC DISASTER: Unfortunate events one after another. So it make sense that they post pone it to the point that they have no choice but to abandon it all together, regardless of what the guys at the office said.
    SammyW27 and PockyAddict like this.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Melonhead; 1032-2149-6593; Ground: Wooper, Marowak, Gastrodon
    PM me so I can add you back.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

I don't know why I'm saying this, but what do some people think is more important? A skipped episode of a children's TV show based on a video game, or citizens - including some kids, awaiting for the two parter - dead, and a nation wrecked?

Just for those who got angry at Japan for postponing the episodes.
    SammyW27 and PockyAddict like this.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Quote Originally Posted by G013M View Post
    I don't know why I'm saying this, but what do some people think is more important? A skipped episode of a children's TV show based on a video game, or citizens - including some kids, awaiting for the two parter - dead, and a nation wrecked?

Just for those who got angry at Japan for postponing the episodes.
    The station that airs Puella Magi Madoka Magica post pone the last two episode following the disaster for at least a month before they could air it again; then again, this is an actual anime telling a well written story as opposed to being a marketing ploy like Pokémon.

So it's more of a Business decision rather than a national one.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Melonhead; 1032-2149-6593; Ground: Wooper, Marowak, Gastrodon
    PM me so I can add you back.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mecha View Post
    The station that airs Puella Magi Madoka Magica post pone the last two episode following the disaster for at least a month before they could air it again; then again, this is an actual anime telling a well written story as opposed to being a marketing ploy like Pokémon.

So it's more of a Business decision rather than a national one.
    I'm not sure if that comparison really works. With Madoka Magica, they were trying to air the last two episodes of the series. The Team Plasma episodes, on the other hand, are in the middle of a long-running series, so they couldn't just air them a month later since they would need to figure out a way to put them back in the series like with that Fishing Contest episode. The fact that Pokemon is aimed at a younger audience than Madoka Magica might also be a factor in this situation. Pokemon is meant to market the video games and other merchandise, but it's still an actual anime.
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I think it has a tendency to be a bit too sensitive, especially with porygon since porygon had nothing to do with the seizure part. Why should it matter what happens in the episodes compared to what happens in real life. Episodes are pre-planned and it can't be forshadowed that an earthquake is going to hit.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mecha View Post
    Not to mention the last episode of DBZ Kai having to be eventually released on DVD.

Just felt like pointing out that out. Now back to the topic at hand.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234