Is the Anime too Sensitive? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

  1. #31
    OSHAWHAT?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catilena1890 View Post
    The Earthquake episode featuring Whiscash, it was a filler anyway, and the move Earthquake isn't as badass in the anime as it is in the games. Why complain about it? Don't we dislike endless and pointless fillers anyway?
    How do we know this was an "endless and pointless" filler? Not saying they should just air it, even now, but I disagree with the whole "it wasn't worthwhile" thing, for my opinion, if we didn't see the whole thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    I don't know about Team Plasma, though... was all the building destruction necessary in the plot? They could've made a suspense/thriller episode without much damage to anything.
    Maybe it was necessary, or maybe it was for effect. They didn't see this huge earthquake and tsunami coming. Considering they already banned an Earthquake-themed episode, I don't think they intended to have too important of an earthquake-like thing in the Plasma eps. (That's why, even though the Plasma episodes did get skipped over, I don't think the upcoming Rocket arc will be intense enough that, if there's a big earthquake, they'd ban it. Then again, I didn't see the preview, but I don't see why they wouldn't think of the Plasma eps when they made this one, so I still think this is a good stand to make.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mand"alor te Siit
    I think the original problem was that they didn't want a major episode like that to air when so many people couldn't watch it, more than the content itself.
    I'm sure it was more of the latter- they still haven't aired it or put it legally on their website or anything like that and all, and I'm sure by now they would've done so.

    I don't know why it hasn't aired since, maybe they just forgot. Again... EP040, AG101...
    They're doing... whatever with those episodes, but those episodes were too significant for them to forget- they were special to begin with, and they were tied with a big natural disaster. Whatever they're doing with them, it's not completely out of their mind.

    "EP040" just looks like a New Year's special to me. According to Bulbapedia, it would've been an hour long and aired on a different night than the usual Tuesdays. Its title was two "sentences" rather then the one a lot of the titles had at the time. AG101... The Barboach episode... I assume they banned it without postponing it, and they moved on (which is why it wasn't on DVD).

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSymes
    They dubbed it but they couldn't air it because of a worldwide ban by the Japan Gov.
    What Dogasu said about it in the "Does an English Version Exist?" section on this page is how I feel about it.
    martianmister likes this.
    Seasons =/= Regions

  2. #32
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSymes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djulienr View Post
    And honestly the Porygon episode should've been dubbed and aired more. I know they have an edited version.
    They dubbed it but they couldn't air it because of a worldwide ban by the Japan Gov.
    I thought that thing about the Porygon episode being dubbed was a rumour...

  3. #33
    Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    SL, UT
    Posts
    2,565
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    These decisions are business decisions, and have to be viewed in that light.

    Pokemon is a big multimedia franchise, and this franchise perpetuates because it makes money. Anything that gets in the way of that is going to be avoided.
    A show that offends its viewers - or their parents - will lose advertising, and thus money. A show that is even rumored to be dangerous will bring down the parental veto, and that will likely also extend to its associated merchandise. The makers of Pokemon are sensible people. They're not going to put something out there that might trigger a scandal, lose them money, and limit their ability to continue the franchise. An episode being cut now and again for sensitivity reasons is a drop in the ocean in the long run. A scandal erupting because of an episode that aired despite these concerns could permanently damage the franchise.

    As fans, of course we're curious about episodes that didn't air. Would I like to see that Plasma two-parter? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean I believe they were wrong to drop it. Airing it would have been foolish, and I think they made the right choice.

  4. #34
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    I thought that thing about the Porygon episode being dubbed was a rumour...
    It is a rumor. We have no solid proof it was dubbed.

  5. #35
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    And about the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket two-parter...

    If they couldn't air it directly on TV, then they could've included it as a special bonus episode direct-to-DVD, including an explanation on why they did not air it on TV after so many months since the scheduled date. Then, only those who want to watch it would rent the DVD, without having to go through broadcasting problems. The Porygon episode caused too much of a traumatic experience so I can see why nobody would get to see it, but the Team Plasma episode wasn't the cause of anything - thus, it has no reason to hide beneath all surfaces, never to see daylight.

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    And about the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket two-parter...

    If they couldn't air it directly on TV, then they could've included it as a special bonus episode direct-to-DVD, including an explanation on why they did not air it on TV after so many months since the scheduled date. Then, only those who want to watch it would rent the DVD, without having to go through broadcasting problems. The Porygon episode caused too much of a traumatic experience so I can see why nobody would get to see it, but the Team Plasma episode wasn't the cause of anything - thus, it has no reason to hide beneath all surfaces, never to see daylight.
    That won't work. Releasing it on DVD (even as an "optional special") would still associate that content with the series.
    Here's an analogy... suppose Disney starts selling porn DVDs as a side business. Even if they don't label them as mainstream "Disney" products, people will still associate the porn with Disney. And all the people who care about the "family-friendly" nature of Disney would stop buying their products.

    However, if they did choose to release those episodes as a special despite it possibly offending people, I see no reason not to also release the Porygon episode. The seizure problem can easily be fixed... all that remains is the problem of possibly offending some people.

  7. #37
    ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    9,835
    Blog Entries
    24
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Airing "The Rocket-Dan vs. The Plasma-Dan" now would be seen as them saying "hey, we skipped this episode due to 3/11, but everything's all better now so we're airing it now." I know quite a few people who would be very offended at them even suggesting such a thing.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

    | My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

  8. #38
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Also, was Kadabra banned? I know about the Uri Gellar lawsuit, but I always assumed he never made another appearance because he wasn't a very notable character outside of Generation I.
    Just like the issue with Porygon were anime-related, the issue with Kadabra was primarily about the card game. Kadabra has never been featured in the cad game ever since, so the only way to play any of the recent Alakazam cards in modified is to Rare Candy-evolve an Abra.
    While Kadabra hasn't had any major roles in the anime since (and it's possible the writers would prefer to stay on the safe side and not give it any), it HAS had some minor appearances, and doesn't seem to be "banned".

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    "EP040" just looks like a New Year's special to me.
    It is. That entire article is full of idiotic misinformation and shouldn't exist in the first place. It's not like they have articles on similar specials that DID air.
    So.

  9. #39
    OSHAWHAT?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    And about the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket two-parter...

    If they couldn't air it directly on TV, then they could've included it as a special bonus episode direct-to-DVD, including an explanation on why they did not air it on TV after so many months since the scheduled date. Then, only those who want to watch it would rent the DVD, without having to go through broadcasting problems. The Porygon episode caused too much of a traumatic experience so I can see why nobody would get to see it, but the Team Plasma episode wasn't the cause of anything - thus, it has no reason to hide beneath all surfaces, never to see daylight.
    Even upon them releasing it, I don't see them explaining why they delayed it. If they feel enough time's passed to release it, I don't see them wanting to remind people of that incident this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    However, if they did choose to release those episodes as a special despite it possibly offending people, I see no reason not to also release the Porygon episode. The seizure problem can easily be fixed... all that remains is the problem of possibly offending some people.
    By "easily be fixed", do you mean take out/replace the seizure causing strobe lights? If you do, they've had nearly fifteen years to do so, which means that for them changing that around isn't a simple enough problem to solve.

    That possibility of possibly offending people gets higher when you factor in how big it would be that this episode is officially being released.
    Seasons =/= Regions

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Just like the issue with Porygon were anime-related, the issue with Kadabra was primarily about the card game. Kadabra has never been featured in the cad game ever since, so the only way to play any of the recent Alakazam cards in modified is to Rare Candy-evolve an Abra.
    While Kadabra hasn't had any major roles in the anime since (and it's possible the writers would prefer to stay on the safe side and not give it any), it HAS had some minor appearances, and doesn't seem to be "banned".
    What was the problem with Kadabra? Was it the Uri Gellar lawsuit? Or something else? I did hear that some people associated Kadabra with Satanism, but I don't see that as a very likely reason for banning it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    By "easily be fixed", do you mean take out/replace the seizure causing strobe lights? If you do, they've had nearly fifteen years to do so, which means that for them changing that around isn't a simple enough problem to solve.

    That possibility of possibly offending people gets higher when you factor in how big it would be that this episode is officially being released.
    They didn't fix it in 15 years because of the second reason -- they can't air the episode because they'll offend people. Fixing it is pointless if they won't be able to air the epiosde anyway... it's not a matter of them not being able to but a matter of them not having a reason to.
    But fixing it would be easy. If they slow down the speed and make the colors less intense, it won't cause seizures. if that won't work for whatever reason, then digitally paint over it with a new (non-strobing) explosion effect (like how they are able to digitally paint over certain "inappropriate" outfits, Japanese text, other things, etc.). It was only like 10 seconds long... if they wanted to they could redraw the entire scene completely and match up the style to the old art style. They have made hundreds of episodes over the course of 15 years... making a 10-second long clip to swap in would be practically no work at all.

  11. #41
    Registered User PockyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,014
    Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Just like the issue with Porygon were anime-related, the issue with Kadabra was primarily about the card game. Kadabra has never been featured in the cad game ever since, so the only way to play any of the recent Alakazam cards in modified is to Rare Candy-evolve an Abra.
    While Kadabra hasn't had any major roles in the anime since (and it's possible the writers would prefer to stay on the safe side and not give it any), it HAS had some minor appearances, and doesn't seem to be "banned".
    What was the problem with Kadabra? Was it the Uri Gellar lawsuit? Or something else? I did hear that some people associated Kadabra with Satanism, but I don't see that as a very likely reason for banning it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    By "easily be fixed", do you mean take out/replace the seizure causing strobe lights? If you do, they've had nearly fifteen years to do so, which means that for them changing that around isn't a simple enough problem to solve.

    That possibility of possibly offending people gets higher when you factor in how big it would be that this episode is officially being released.
    They didn't fix it in 15 years because of the second reason -- they can't air the episode because they'll offend people. Fixing it is pointless if they won't be able to air the epiosde anyway... it's not a matter of them not being able to but a matter of them not having a reason to.
    But fixing it would be easy. If they slow down the speed and make the colors less intense, it won't cause seizures. if that won't work for whatever reason, then digitally paint over it with a new (non-strobing) explosion effect (like how they are able to digitally paint over certain "inappropriate" outfits, Japanese text, other things, etc.). It was only like 10 seconds long... if they wanted to they could redraw the entire scene completely and match up the style to the old art style. They have made hundreds of episodes over the course of 15 years... making a 10-second long clip to swap in would be practically no work at all.
    I don't think they can re-draw the scene entirely these days due to the fact that the anime is now drawn digital and the older 1997-2002 (the japanese version in terms of airdate) episodes were cell-drawn and the post 2002 episodes are digital.

    But other than that i agree with you.

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by ♥Lady Marie♥ View Post
    I don't think they can re-draw the scene entirely these days due to the fact that the anime is now drawn digital and the older 1997-2002 (the japanese version in terms of airdate) episodes were cell-drawn and the post 2002 episodes are digital.

    But other than that i agree with you.
    Yeah, that's true, but they can probably get it close enough. A good artist can do some amazing things / digitally re-create practically any look. It'd be even easier if they used the old (non-digital) technique, assuming that they still have access to the proper equipment which I'd assume that a big anime company would be able to do. That's if they really needed to, which they don't so obviously they wouldn't, lol
    PockyAddict likes this.

  13. #43
    OSHAWHAT?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    They didn't fix it in 15 years because of the second reason -- they can't air the episode because they'll offend people. Fixing it is pointless if they won't be able to air the epiosde anyway... it's not a matter of them not being able to but a matter of them not having a reason to.
    But fixing it would be easy. If they slow down the speed and make the colors less intense, it won't cause seizures. if that won't work for whatever reason, then digitally paint over it with a new (non-strobing) explosion effect (like how they are able to digitally paint over certain "inappropriate" outfits, Japanese text, other things, etc.). It was only like 10 seconds long... if they wanted to they could redraw the entire scene completely and match up the style to the old art style. They have made hundreds of episodes over the course of 15 years... making a 10-second long clip to swap in would be practically no work at all.
    I'm not talking about the effort it'd take- basically, I wasn't sure if you were trying to suggest that all they had to do was edit out the seizure-causing strobe lights and they'd be fine. By now I know you don't mean that. Back then, I should've reworded it better- something like, it's not as simple as just editing it.
    Seasons =/= Regions

  14. #44
    Only 70 new Pokemon? Hoopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,080
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Earthquake getting banned.

  15. #45
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    What was the problem with Kadabra? Was it the Uri Gellar lawsuit? Or something else? I did hear that some people associated Kadabra with Satanism, but I don't see that as a very likely reason for banning it.
    The Geller lawsuit was the "problem" referred to, yeah. Sorry for not clarifying.
    Geller lost the case, but since the entire case was based around Kadabra Pokemon cards in specific, the TCG designers apparently felt more comfortable not making any further Kadabra cards after this.
    So.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •