Is the Anime too Sensitive?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

Follow Benster404 On Twitter

Default Is the Anime too Sensitive?

I'm sure we're all aware of the Porygon incident. Because of this episode Porygon and it's evolutions have not appeared in the anime (although Porygon has made other cameo appearances). But why should this incident prevent the others from being included in the anime, fair enough not including Porygon anymore but the others are completely unrelated to the incident.

It's not just this incident i bring to your attention. AG101 remains unaired because an earthquake happened in Japan, the same time as this episode (which contains the move Earthquake), was originally scheduled. Fair enough you may think, but the moves Earthquake, Fissure and Magnitude have now been removed from the anime, which i think is just frustrating.

There are many other cases too. So am i the only one who thinks the anime is a bit too sensitive to such events, or am i being completely unreasonable?
    djulienr, SammyW27 and Saiga like this.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic61470_1.gif

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Is the Anime too Sensitive?

I wouldn't call it being to sensitive, I think it's mostly them not wanting to potentially offend anyone. I mean if it happened once, it could happen again.

Blog Entries

Japan in general tends to be very cautious about past traumatic events like that. Being a kid/family show, Pokemon shows that very well.
    djulienr likes this.

I think its ridiculous. I mean maybe for like a month or so after but after a while they should allow earthquake stuff and air the episodes. As for Porygon, it wasn't even the reason for the seizures, it was Pikachu. So neither it or the evolutions should be punished. And honestly I don't see why people who be "offended" if they showed up or if an earthquake move was used. It's a show. And honestly the Porygon episode should've been dubbed and aired more. I know they have an edited version. Japan is just too sensitive, if you ask me.
    SammyW27, Anser, Saiga and 2 others like this.
    Fav Ships: PalletShipping AdvancedShipping CafeMochaShipping PearlShipping ComaShipping CollideShipping RespectShipping

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by djulienr View Post
    And honestly the Porygon episode should've been dubbed and aired more. I know they have an edited version. Japan is just too sensitive, if you ask me.
    "Electric Soldier Porygon" caused hundreds of children to be hospitalised when it aired in Japan. I don't blame them for being mortified by that outcome.

Visit Mand"alor te Siit's Youtube Channel

Japan is just too sensitive, if you ask me.
    Even if they are, the US is worse. Jynx, for example: Bulbapedia lists six likely origins that wouldn't be a problem. But no one bothers to do any research before complaining. EP023: Is it really that hard to make a new title card? EP035: A main character catching 30 Pokemon is too major to skip. In Japan, five episodes were banned, and two of them are supposed to air later. In the US, six additional episodes were banned, with another two that aired later. Even with Porygon, Kadabra, and earthquake-related moves not appearing, the US is more sensitive. Where it gets really ridiculous, though:
    Banned episodes - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
    Two and a half gym battles? Really?

EDIT: I actually did link to a specific section of the article, even though the link doesn't show it.

Blog Entries

And honestly the Porygon episode should've been dubbed and aired more. I know they have an edited version. Japan is just too sensitive, if you ask me.
    You do know that Pokémon Shock was reported in the US right? Are you really gonna let your kid watch 20 minutes of something that you heard gave over 600 kids seizures when aired before?
    PockyAddict likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Japan is just too sensitive, if you ask me.
    Because earthquakes destroying everything and children having seizures is no big deal, right?
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mand"alor te Siit View Post
    Jynx, for example: Bulbapedia lists six likely origins that wouldn't be a problem. But no one bothers to do any research before complaining.
    In the end, it's not really a matter of what Jynx is intended to be. The fact is, it does bear a pretty damned unfortunate resemblence to a blackface entertainer. When Pokemon caught on in the West, it was a controversy waiting to happen.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't think that the examples mentioned are examples of the anime being too sensitive. Hundreds of children had seizures after watching that Porygon episode. That's not something that they can just shake off and reair the episode after some time has passed. It's too bad that Porygon and its evolution don't appear in the anime because of that episode, but I think that it's completely reasonable considering how it sent so many children to the hospital. I also think that it makes sense that the episode was never dubbed. After that event, I don't think that the people from Japan would want anyone to ever touch that episode again.

Earthquakes are nothing to shake off either, especially the ones that have happened in Japan in recent years with destroying homes and killing many people. Having an episode that deals with an earthquake shortly after a natural disaster isn't really being too sensitive. It makes sense that they wouldn't want to make people uncomfortable with watching the show if it was around the same time of recovering from a huge earthquake. As for Jynx, I didn't quite understand the problem until I saw a documentary on the history behind the stereotype images in the media around African Americans. Afterwards, I did see the unfortunate similarity between Jynx and a black entertainer and even though I don't think that the design was based off of those kind of images, the fact that it just look similar to one was definitely an understandable problem that people had with Jynx once the show got popular in the West. I don't think it was that bad since it just ended up leading Jynx to be colored purple instead of black to make everyone happy. Changes like these usually have an understandable reason behind it, so I don't think that the anime is being too sensitive in these cases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mand"alor te Siit View Post
    Jynx, for example: Bulbapedia lists six likely origins that wouldn't be a problem. But no one bothers to do any research before complaining.
    In the end, it's not really a matter of what Jynx is intended to be. The fact is, it does bear a pretty damned unfortunate resemblence to a blackface entertainer. When Pokemon caught on in the West, it was a controversy waiting to happen.
    I know the Jotho Jynx episode was nothing to look forward to anyway, but this event is the prime example why I was never happy that the US-version of Pokémon was the source for almost every other dub of Pokémon. Many countries aren't aware that the blackface-stereotype even exists and I am sure those Jynx episodes would have aired, for example, in Germany without any consequences ( in fact, besides the Johto one, they did and still do). Some things are only delicate in some countries, after all.

But I agree that earthquake-themed episodes in an anime for little children is pretty risky in a country that suffers from extreme earthquakes time and time again.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

And so it begins. I hope the fur doesn't fly too much like it did when I brought this up guys.

I myself find this to be an issue though. I can understand wanting to be sensitive to the public and whatnot, but you just can't cut out certain things. The Porygon Episode being banned is one thing. While I agree with the banning, it's no excuse to ostracize Porygon and it's family for something a glorified yellow rat did. I bet you anything parents were more nervous about seeing Pikachu use Thundershock on a daily basis than about encountering Porygon again.

And then there is the Dratini episode. Major plothole, but it could have been rectified by a replacement episode. I see no issues with 4Kids writing and animating an entire 20-minute show about Tauros. Maybe they were lazy though, and we didn't see the Tauros very much.

The Earthquake episode featuring Whiscash, it was a filler anyway, and the move Earthquake isn't as badass in the anime as it is in the games. Why complain about it? Don't we dislike endless and pointless fillers anyway?

And now I come to these episodes. The Team Plasma episodes. I`m sorry but banning these is inex-pucking-scusable. Should they have aired them as scheduled? From a considerate human standpoint, no, that would have been tasteless, insensitive, and I and millions of other people probably would have boycotted the anime if they had. HOWEVER from a story-telling standpoint, you HAVE to tell the important part of the story sooner or later. The lack of Team Plasma is DESTROYING the anime right now, along with the new characterizations and Iris. If BW has ANY hope of surviving the venom-drenched hatred of the fanbase, we NEED to have a real plot. The Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma episodes were going to introduce the plot, but then the earthquake happened.

What I am about to say will probably sound incredibly heartless, but it needs to be said. Yes, the earthquake was a terrible tragedy that should never have happened, and if there was anything that could have been done to stop it, it should have been done. But you know what? So is losing your grandparents. When you first say goodbye to your grandma or grandpa, you want some time to recover from the trauma, and so people will avoid talking about them as much as possible. At some point though, you HAVE to get over it! If you live your life in constant grief, you will never be happy, and neither will your current living loved ones. The anime is the same principle.

We are now almost TWO YEARS into Best Wishes and on the way to the pokemon league. All we have seen in those two years is an unfunny Team Rocket, a lobotomized Ash Ketchum, the most annoying Mary Sue of a female companion that has ever stalked the earth, a sexy Jack-of-all-trades who will NEVER be Brock, and the worst facility battles ever seen since Ash stalked Pyramid King Brandon. Face it, Team Plasma is the anime's only hope of making it out alive, and it's kinda too late now. At this point, if they want to salvage Best Wishes, they need to get the League done and over with and dedicate an entire season solely to stopping Team Plasma, with the banned episodes being their introduction.

Flames toward my arguments will be used to roast weenies and marshmallows.
    djulienr likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Catilena1890 View Post
    What the? I didn't even CLICK the post button twice! What the heck man? Sorry everyone T-T
    Edit -> Delete.

And the writers can't make up a series plot that doesn't involve Team Plasma? I personally think that's an unfair/silly assumption. Even then what does it have to do with censorship? It's fair enough to say you feel the TP eps shouldn't have been covered up, but your issues with Best Wishes really aren't on topic. There's no evidence TP would make everything else about Best Wishes better, so I'm stopping that discussion right now.

Oh, and moving on from your grandparent's death is not the same as your entire livelyhood being destroyed by an earthquake, in a country which is prone to more earthquakes. That sort of insensitive ridiculousless will be getting Flaming and Baiting here on out.
    YamiiDenryuu and PockyAddict like this.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Catilena1890 View Post
    What the? I didn't even CLICK the post button twice! What the heck man? Sorry everyone T-T
    Edit -> Delete.

And the writers can't make up a series plot that doesn't involve Team Plasma? I personally think that's an unfair/silly assumption. Even then what does it have to do with censorship? It's fair enough to say you feel the TP eps shouldn't have been covered up, but your issues with Best Wishes really aren't on topic. There's no evidence TP would make everything else about Best Wishes better, so I'm stopping that discussion right now.

Oh, and moving on from your grandparent's death is not the same as your entire livelyhood being destroyed by an earthquake, in a country which is prone to more earthquakes. That sort of insensitive ridiculousless will be getting Flaming and Baiting here on out.
    Thank you, deleted.

I never said they couldn't. I said that if they want to have a shot at saving BW, they SHOULD make an arc dedicated to TP. WILL TP save it? I don't know. We haven't seen them, so we can't really judge on something that hasn't happened.

As for your second argument. You read too much into what I was saying. Yes, someone dying because they were old/sick is immensely different from thousands of lives being destroyed, and even more lives being ruined. The grief is the same though. What you are saying is that it's impossible for anyone who underwent a national tragedy to move on from it. What I am saying is that it is not. That's a trait ALL humans share, when something tries to destroy us and everything we work our entire lives for, we pick ourselves back up, mourn that which was destroyed, and rebuild. THAT is the point I`m trying to make. I don't want people to FORGET about the Earthquakes, the Tsunamis, and all of the other great tragedies they underwent. What I`m saying is that it is time to stop looking back and look towards the future. The best tool to help people look towards the future is the media. If those who tell us stories everyday take the first step to healing, then the rest will follow. Ignoring the problem does not solve it. Hiding something that happens to be about a recent disaster won't erase the disaster itself, but there comes a time when grief turns into fear and fear turns into paranoia.

And how did I know that someone was gonna take my words the wrong way? At least I have hot weenies and marshmallows now.

Blog Entries

The Japanese treat things differently than Westerners do. They prefer to burry things like they never happened.

It's just the way things are. Nothing to do with Pokemon at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast