Anime Mistakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Anime Mistakes

I Live In The War Room GengarWithSunglasses's Avatar

Default Anime Mistakes

It's almost always hilarious to see a mistake in the anime. For example, Brock said that water pokemon are weak against water pokemon and then Krabby or Kingler got killed by a Growlithe's fire blast. Also there's: "Finish him with a false swipe!" Also an Ekans or something used acid or something on a steel type, and the steel was melting (which actually makes a lot of sense for acid). As well as the Arbok evolves into Seviper mistake. If you remember any anime mistakes you can post them here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anime Mistakes

Most of them I can think of are from the previous english dubbing people I think. Can't remember any specifics other then the ones you listed but so many of them came from Kanto era.

Blog Entries

Brock calling furret a ground type.

Among all the questionable and downright silly changes 4Kids made, the dub of the original series will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart, but I still can't help but find it baffling, albeit hilarious, that they were so careless as to change a part in The Ultimate Test that they turned a part of the show that was originally correct and made it wrong. It's almost like it was intentional.

The part being where the test administrator asks what Pokémon evolves from Poliwag. The original version correctly states Poliwhirl. while 4Kids decided to change it so that he says Poliwrath. But in 4Kids' defense, Poliwrath is like a steroid-abusive version of Poliwhirl anyway, so it's not like they mistook it for two Pokémon who aren't even remotely similar.

Oh except for that part in the first movie where Team Rocket calls a Scyther an Alakazam...

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Otika View Post

Oh except for that part in the first movie where Team Rocket calls a Scyther an Alakazam...
    I wouldn't say that's a mistake. I thought it was a joke poking fun at TR's stupidity.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring Chuck View Post
    I wouldn't say that's a mistake. I thought it was a joke poking fun at TR's stupidity.
    Apparently they claim as such on the DVD commentary, but...I don't buy it. 4Kids were generally rather abysmal when it came to misidentifying pokemon. That Poliwhirl who thinks he's a Poliwrath in "Pikachu's Rescue Adventure" comes to mind...I wonder what 4Kids' official explanation for that would be, an identity crisis?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Yeah, I see that as more of "Oops, you caught us! Except...um...we meant to do that! Yeah, that's right...it's a joke, see? Haha, aren't we hilarious?" type of situation.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Yeah, I'd have to agree with everyone else. The claim they made on the DVD holds about as much water as Tommy Wiseau's argument that The Room was intended to be a dark comedy. We all know it's not true, but even if it was, it would still be terrible anyway.

Blog Entries

I notice that Ash keeps telling Oshawott to use Shell Slash or something along the lines of that, he isn't using the correct name for it.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

In the Kanto series, Ash went to the Pokemon Tower to get a Ghost-type to defeat the Gym Leader Sabrina, even though Ghost moves had no effect Psychic-types in the Gen I games because of a programming. Later on, in the Johto episode The Psychic Sidekicks!, everyone in a village owned a Psychic-type to protect themselves from wild Ghosts, but by now, in the Gen II games, Ghost moves were actually super-effective against Psychics, as they were meant to be It's just a huge pile of mistakes on top of another pile of mistakes.
    djulienr and 투 애니원 like this.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Ash calling Razor Shell it's Japanese name, Shell Blade in the Stephan episode.

Blog Entries

That same dubbing error also happens in BW049, when Ash battles Bianca's father with Oshawott.

I remember how Gardenia's Turtwig used Leech Seed against Ash's Turtwig, even though Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed. And the writers did this both times Ash battled Gardenia, so it was really odd, almost as if it were intentional. That, or they really didn't care.

There are also a couple of errors that serve for the convience of the antagonist and don't seem so far-fetched when you think about it, such as Snivy's confusion triggering the effect of Trip's Frillish's Hex, or Sklya's Swanna healing its burn with Aqua Ring.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 24th June 2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

追放されたバカ

4Kids being handed a major Nintendo game-based anime franchise.

More on subject, the writer's recent habit of giving Ash's birds illegal moves.

Starly-Staravia:Gust

Tranquil:Wing Attack

Pidgeot, Noctowl and Swellow didn't have that happen...I wonder why...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

This web show called "WTF Pokemon" has a top 5 list of anime mistakes made from each episode throughout the first season such as the sprinklers used to defeat Onix and Mewtwo's inclusion as a tablet from Bill's episode. Some of them regard 4kids' sloppy dubbing.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Leader Chili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaring Chuck View Post
    Apparently they claim as such on the DVD commentary, but...I don't buy it. 4Kids were generally rather abysmal when it came to misidentifying pokemon. That Poliwhirl who thinks he's a Poliwrath in "Pikachu's Rescue Adventure" comes to mind...I wonder what 4Kids' official explanation for that would be, an identity crisis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Yeah, I see that as more of "Oops, you caught us! Except...um...we meant to do that! Yeah, that's right...it's a joke, see? Haha, aren't we hilarious?" type of situation.
    Nah, I just listened to that little exchange in the commentary to be sure and they did indeed admit that it was a mistake on their part, and then only after they caught their error when they decided to just go with that "Team Rocket makes mistakes" reason/excuse to cover their laziness (which they tried to pass off as genius). Both of these statements are kind of true.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 24th June 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast