Thread: Anime episodes or movie scenes that make you tear up

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anime episodes or movie scenes that make you tear up

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
    Once There Were Greenfields
    James releasing Cacnea made tears run down my face. It was seriously the first time I ever cried watching Pokémon. I gotta hand it to Jimmy Zoppi. He can really do emotional scenes for James. I felt the same way after rewatching the episode when he left Chimecho back at home too.
    I'll be honest: I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Zoppi's James. Okay, I'll outright say I prefer Eric Stuart's version, and that Jimmy just sounds like Eric with a cold to me.

That being said, Jimmy Zoppi's James is...and I'm going to get flamed on this one...probably my favorite voice in the TPCi dub besides Michele Knotz's Jessie. To me, it sounds the closest to Eric's version, and he can really emote better than Eric was in the AG seasons, in terms of being able to take James seriously as opposed to a joker who made me crack up.

Regardless, Eric was (and is) my favorite. I thought out of all the English voices for James (Ted Lewis, himself, and Jimmy Zoppi), Eric managed to strike the perfect balance between idiot and goofball James, and yet serious and kind-hearted James. Ted was too serious and incredibly bland in the role, while Jimmy can do the serious parts well, but he's so nasally as a goofball, that it detracts from his performance for me.

While I don't like how TPCi does the rockets' dialogue, I found their voices grew on me much more quickly than the twerps did in terms of being able to tolerate them ('cept Meowth, his voice is terrible now).
    Valid point!

*Side note to admins not trying to go off topic of the thread by going into voice actors, just using it to make a point*

I felt the same way, like back in the day when Growlie was introduced and the emotion in James' voice was done really well and that's one of my favorite TR episodes. You put into words what I've thought of James' new voice since the Battle Frontier season started; head cold! That's exactly what he sounds like. I was watching Barry's introduction episode and he talks about how Cacnea was tough to beat and James flipped wondering about his old Pokemon and his voice...didn't really fit the tone you know?

That's the thing the creators have to be careful about especially when changing up voice actors. The music for an emotional/dramatic scene can be totally on point but if the voices don't fit that emotion and tone then it just throws everything off.

A good example is BW TRio, they are trying to be hardcore and badass with that whole military/spy thing going on and every time they appear we have this dark/mysterious background music since they are working on a mission. Their dialogue isn't that rhyming nonsense its more stoic and emotionless like they were simply machines but those voices...

For one as soon as you hear them talk you relate to DP or Battle Frontier (especially Meowth's voice for some reason the actor made him sound gangster or at least try to be with hip/jive dialogue but that never did it for me) and that just ruins their new "image" of being competent members of TR.

But anyway looking back whenever James gives up a Pokemon it is for their own good and you can really feel the hurt that he is going through.
    ...Did, did...you just read my mind or something?

I swear, I agree so much with everything you just said: it's uncanny.

On all accounts: about TRio and how their voices, personalities, and dialogue have been in recent generations in general.

I loved the way the whole Growlie episode was done, too. I really felt like Eric Stuart nailed it there and he was really good at emoting and capturing the whole feeling behind James very well. :)
    Paulisthebest likes this.

Blog Entries

James releasing Cacnea made tears run down my face. It was seriously the first time I ever cried watching Pokémon. I gotta hand it to Jimmy Zoppi. He can really do emotional scenes for James. I felt the same way after rewatching the episode when he left Chimecho back at home too.
    I'll be honest: I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Zoppi's James. Okay, I'll outright say I prefer Eric Stuart's version, and that Jimmy just sounds like Eric with a cold to me.

That being said, Jimmy Zoppi's James is...and I'm going to get flamed on this one...probably my favorite voice in the TPCi dub besides Michele Knotz's Jessie. To me, it sounds the closest to Eric's version, and he can really emote better than Eric was in the AG seasons, in terms of being able to take James seriously as opposed to a joker who made me crack up.

Regardless, Eric was (and is) my favorite. I thought out of all the English voices for James (Ted Lewis, himself, and Jimmy Zoppi), Eric managed to strike the perfect balance between idiot and goofball James, and yet serious and kind-hearted James. Ted was too serious and incredibly bland in the role, while Jimmy can do the serious parts well, but he's so nasally as a goofball, that it detracts from his performance for me.

While I don't like how TPCi does the rockets' dialogue, I found their voices grew on me much more quickly than the twerps did in terms of being able to tolerate them ('cept Meowth, his voice is terrible now).
    Valid point!

*Side note to admins not trying to go off topic of the thread by going into voice actors, just using it to make a point*

I felt the same way, like back in the day when Growlie was introduced and the emotion in James' voice was done really well and that's one of my favorite TR episodes. You put into words what I've thought of James' new voice since the Battle Frontier season started; head cold! That's exactly what he sounds like. I was watching Barry's introduction episode and he talks about how Cacnea was tough to beat and James flipped wondering about his old Pokemon and his voice...didn't really fit the tone you know?

That's the thing the creators have to be careful about especially when changing up voice actors. The music for an emotional/dramatic scene can be totally on point but if the voices don't fit that emotion and tone then it just throws everything off.

A good example is BW TRio, they are trying to be hardcore and badass with that whole military/spy thing going on and every time they appear we have this dark/mysterious background music since they are working on a mission. Their dialogue isn't that rhyming nonsense its more stoic and emotionless like they were simply machines but those voices...

For one as soon as you hear them talk you relate to DP or Battle Frontier (especially Meowth's voice for some reason the actor made him sound gangster or at least try to be with hip/jive dialogue but that never did it for me) and that just ruins their new "image" of being competent members of TR.

But anyway looking back whenever James gives up a Pokemon it is for their own good and you can really feel the hurt that he is going through.

On all accounts: about TRio and how their voices, personalities, and dialogue have been in recent generations in general.

I loved the way the whole Growlie episode was done, too. I really felt like Eric Stuart nailed it there and he was really good at emoting and capturing the whole feeling behind James very well. :)
    Haha, I didn't read your mind. That has been on my mind for quite sometime this just shows that a lot of other fans feel the same way that I do about it. And what is amazing is that it was about the TRio and not about Ash's over the top girly voice, Brock's old man voice and so on...

I'm serious music/dialogue/tone/emotion can make or break a memorable scene of a movie, TV show, etc. I think Pokemon has forgotten about that over the years. Just another indication that the show should end if it is going to put as Brock told Suzy back in Kanto; if they are going to put style over substance, than we should put substance over style!

Its all about money and not the quality of the episodes anymore. I see why most of my friends ONLY play the games now and not watch the show.

For example one thing I've always found amazing is the Japanese and English dubs of Pokemon when compared to Dragon Ball Z. My point;

Pokemon in Japanese has great music especially in battles, heck even the dialogue sounds better and I can't understand A SINGLE word they say but the voice actors seem to have it down when it comes to expressing emotions compared to the stock music and crappy voices we have in English...

DBZ has great music in the English version and its terrible in Japanese because its just loud trumpets and it doesn't capture the intensity of a fight when compared to Funimation for example.

Its just sad to see the franchise go down especially in moments where the show is highlighting let's say an evolution, Pokemon being released back into the wild or the climax of a tournament.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Valid point!

Haha, I didn't read your mind. That has been on my mind for quite sometime this just shows that a lot of other fans feel the same way that I do about it. And what is amazing is that it was about the TRio and not about Ash's over the top girly voice, Brock's old man voice and so on...

I'm serious music/dialogue/tone/emotion can make or break a memorable scene of a movie, TV show, etc. I think Pokemon has forgotten about that over the years. Just another indication that the show should end if it is going to put as Brock told Suzy back in Kanto; if they are going to put style over substance, than we should put substance over style!

Its all about money and not the quality of the episodes anymore. I see why most of my friends ONLY play the games now and not watch the show.

For example one thing I've always found amazing is the Japanese and English dubs of Pokemon when compared to Dragon Ball Z. My point;

Pokemon in Japanese has great music especially in battles, heck even the dialogue sounds better and I can't understand A SINGLE word they say but the voice actors seem to have it down when it comes to expressing emotions compared to the stock music and crappy voices we have in English...

DBZ has great music in the English version and its terrible in Japanese because its just loud trumpets and it doesn't capture the intensity of a fight when compared to Funimation for example.

Its just sad to see the franchise go down especially in moments where the show is highlighting let's say an evolution, Pokemon being released back into the wild or the climax of a tournament.
    Same here! Same here.

Lately I've been feeling like the older anime episodes and movie scenes really had more ingenuity and creativity put into them myself. Nowadays, IDK if anyone else feels this way, but things feel rehashed and recycled to the point where the outcome is too predictable and obvious. I find myself going back to the older episodes after watching the newer episodes, and get the feeling like..."Wow...is it just me, or was this show more emotional and interesting before?"

Sure, granted, we've had aesthetic and animation improvements, to be sure. However, I sadly feel the exact same way about the anime: I feel like over time, it's become more and more about the money, and less and less about the quality behind the episodes itself. Sure, occasionally they'll be that great set of episodes in the newer seasons that will really catch my interest (like the Ash v. Paul battles in the Sinnoh League, for example, that lasted about 3 eps), but then I feel it goes back to the standard set of "oh, let's redo episode x in this form," or "oh, let's do y again, everyone liked that," and so on.

Blog Entries

Valid point!

Same here! Same here.

Lately I've been feeling like the older anime episodes and movie scenes really had more ingenuity and creativity put into them myself. Nowadays, IDK if anyone else feels this way, but things feel rehashed and recycled to the point where the outcome is too predictable and obvious. I find myself going back to the older episodes after watching the newer episodes, and get the feeling like..."Wow...is it just me, or was this show more emotional and interesting before?"

Sure, granted, we've had aesthetic and animation improvements, to be sure. However, I sadly feel the exact same way about the anime: I feel like over time, it's become more and more about the money, and less and less about the quality behind the episodes itself. Sure, occasionally they'll be that great set of episodes in the newer seasons that will really catch my interest (like the Ash v. Paul battles in the Sinnoh League, for example, that lasted about 3 eps), but then I feel it goes back to the standard set of "oh, let's redo episode x in this form," or "oh, let's do y again, everyone liked that," and so on.
    Sad but true, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Early Kanto and the bulk of the Mewtwo saga had some really tearjerking moments.

But this one is something I should really talk about more often.

;_;

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Mine's Jirachi Wish Maker, Lucario, and Manaphy. I never cried in the anime, except the time I met Volkner.

If Ash goes to Kalos, that's like the 8th time I'll tear up, so badly...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anime episodes that make you tear up

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Snow Way Out
    Ash (In Veronica Taylor's Voice): "Alright...you win. Guess we'll all be cold...together."
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 21st June 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Anime episodes that make you tear up

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Snow Way Out
    Ash (In Veronica Taylor's Voice): "Alright...you win. Guess we'll all be cold...together."
    Sarah: Kay, ya win. Guess we gotta be cold together.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Ash and Brock's final goodbye.

Ash: You can do it, Pokemon Doctor Brock.

Brock: Pokemon Master Ash, you can too.

And that broshake. So much is said through so little.
    valzz likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Just saw Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. I'm in tears.

Brock: "Maybe it was for the best. You think Lucario's gone?"
    Ash: "Not gone. Lucario's aura is with me!"

That cute and charming voice Veronica Taylor gave Ash. I'll never hear it again on the show. That awesome voice Eric Stuart gave Brock.

Gosh...I even miss Eric Stuart's James. At least he didn't sound like he had a cold all the time. -_-

Man, I miss the old voice cast. I suppose absence makes the heart grow fonder. They had this natural chemistry between each other. The current voice cast doesn't have that dynamic at all in my eyes. Taylor played off Stuart who played off of Lillis who played off of Blaustein who played off of Birnbaum...it was great.

What I would give to hear Veronica Taylor laugh as Ash one last time...
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 23rd June 2013 at 03:23 PM.

I know this isn't an episode but every time I hear the song Tears After Cloudy Weather it always makes me tear up especially thinking about the first episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by valzz View Post
    I know this isn't an episode but every time I hear the song Tears After Cloudy Weather it always makes me tear up especially thinking about the first episode.
    Tears After the Cloudy Weather was a such a good and emotional piece of background music. It's a shame that they never really play that track ever again, after the Kanto portion of the anime. Though, admittedly, there's not much places for it to fit appropriately in the current anime... Just goes to show you how much the series has changed.

My favorite times this song played has to be the first episode, Butterfree's farewell, the time where Satoshi and his Pokemon were warming each other up in the blizzard, and Ai's death in the CD Drama. All were really tearjerking moments.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by valzz View Post
    Tears After the Cloudy Weather was a such a good and emotional piece of background music. It's a shame that they never really play that track ever again, after the Kanto portion of the anime. Though, admittedly, there's not much places for it to fit appropriately in the current anime...

My favorite times this song played has to be the first episode, the time where Satoshi and his Pokemon were warming each other up in the snow, and Ai's death in the CD Drama.
    I love that episode: "Iwark as a Bivouac." I know it as "Snow Way Out." That had me in tears. XDD.

The last time I recall "Tears After the Cloudy Weather" being played was in DP191.

The OS JPN BGM in general is my favorite score the series has had. lol.

Blog Entries

I love that episode: "Iwark as a Bivouac." I know it as "Snow Way Out." That had me in tears. XDD.
    I just... really love that episode. It showed Satoshi's love for his Pokemon at the brink of death, and vice-versa, in the most "real" and humane way possible, especially in terms of raw emotion. I could even compare that sort of raw emotional feeling to the feels I got while watching Mr. Freeze's tragic story in Batman: The Animated Series, even though they had different contexts.

Just, one of those times when you were 100% sure they considered each other an unbreakable family.

The last time I recall "Tears After the Cloudy Weather" being played was in DP191.
    I know it may be because Kanto was shorter, but I always felt that there were more moments that happened in Kanto, and Jouto to an extent, that required them to play such a sad song.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    I just... really love that episode. It showed Satoshi's love for his Pokemon at the brink of death, and vice-versa, in the most "real" and humane way possible, especially in terms of raw emotion.

I know it may be because Kanto was shorter, but I always felt that there were more moments that happened in Kanto, and Jouto to an extent, that required them to play such a sad song.
    Honestly, I didn't cry at all when they played it in DP191, but I did like that they played the soundtrack itself. XD.

Same. I just don't see that kind of raw emotion or genuine caring in the current episodes. The Kanto ones felt the most realistic to me, and I actually felt the emotion behind the events that occurred.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast