4Kids and BW001 Hypothetical Question...

Thread: 4Kids and BW001 Hypothetical Question...

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Default 4Kids and BW001 Hypothetical Question...

Do you think 4Kids would have edited out this line from the beginning of BW001: "10 year old Ash Ketchum" (that is, if they were still dubbing)? I think so. From what I read, all mentions of Ash aging (including "it's been a year") were dub added, and there was no mention of Ash aging in the original. So 4Kids would have to change/take out that line to keep up their own continuity, right?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4Kids and BW001 Hypothetical Question...

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Do you think 4Kids would have edited out this line from the beginning of BW001: "10 year old Ash Ketchum" (that is, if they were still dubbing)? I think so. From what I read, all mentions of Ash aging (including "it's been a year") were dub added, and there was no mention of Ash aging in the original. So 4Kids would have to change/take out that line to keep up their own continuity, right?
    No, why would they? It was in the Japanese version.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    No, why would they? It was in the Japanese version.
    Because it fucks up their continuity.

4Kids has been known to add/change/remove lines, and years passing was dub added.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4kids left May saying she was 10 years old in her first episode, not sure why you would expect any different here. They could have removed May's line because she looks physically older than 10, but left it anyway. It actually would have made sense that May didn't start her journey till after she was 10 because she had no interest in pokemon at first.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't see why they wouldn't include that line in the narration. It doesn't matter that it goes against their continuity since they just forget those details when they're contradicted later on. This is especially the case with their Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs, such as Atem's name being a plot point in the last arc, despite how they gave him a name in Battle City, and Rex Godwin calling himself the fifth Signer when he wasn't. Those example are more important to their storylines than Ash being ten, but I still don't think that they would get rid of that line.

I don't think so. Not all of those were added by the dub. There's one in the Pikachu and Pichu short that's the same in English and Japanese, and months are mentioned in the Japanese version too. Time passes, they just don't age. So no, I don't think 4Kids would've edited it out.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Brock's dead mom tells me that 4Kids doesn't really care enough about things like "continuity" when they decide whether or not to change a line of dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    It was in the Japanese version.
    As if 4Kids ever gave a shit about that.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012