From 1-10 how would you rate each saga? - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

Default Re: From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

Kanto 5/10
    OI 5/10
    Johto 4/10
    Hoenn 7/10
    BF 8/10
    Sinnoh 9.5/10
    Isshu 0/10 no comments
    Aura7541 likes this.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Kanto: 6

The pacing and mechanics weren't all that great, but come on, the writers had never done this before. I'd say it was a pretty good job since they were going just off of a video game. It was funny enough and the battle scenes, while not amazing, were still interesting to watch.

Orange Islands- 5

Overall pretty unmemorable. It kind of bothered me how some of the "gyms" didn't even require battles to beat. Pokemon is all about the battles. Also I prefer Brock over Tracy. At least he was sort of useful sometimes.

Johto: 7

I don't know why everyone hates on it so much. Sure there were a lot of filler eps, but I just loved the dialogue an action. I think this was when the show was at its funniest. The battles and animation both improved quite a bit as well.

Hoenn: 6.5

I think the humor started to slip and lightheartedness started to slip a bit from Johto, and that was the part that I enjoyed the most about the series. Although the action sequences were generally better written and animated.

Sinnoh: 6.5

I much preferred the dialogue and overall writing in Hoenn and basically all the previous series, but I can't really grade this one bad since it made me fall in love with contests. However the fillers in this region were pretty unbearable, imo.

Unova: 5

This has been an interesting region so far. It started off fairly strong with good character development and interactions. But as it progressed, I quickly realized that all of the potential it showed dried up in the first 20 episodes. They insist on reusing the same jokes for every character every 5 minutes. The new animation style is pretty, but along with it came an excess of stock animation and other shortcuts. Hopefully it will improve as it continues, but something tells me it's not going to get much better.

Quote Originally Posted by super-him2911 View Post
    Kanto 5/10
    OI 5/10
    Johto 4/10
    Hoenn 7/10
    BF 8/10
    Sinnoh 9.5/10
    Isshu 0/10 no comments
    I would agree but is there anything you like about BW 2 so far? I know I would give it a 2/10 but I do like that Ash is traveling around with a legendary (for who knows how long) for a change.

Blog Entries

Kanto: 7/10 - Mainly for the gym battles if they were handled like the D/P gym battles the rating would probably be better.
    Johto: 4/ 10 - Ugh terrible.. only a few good gym battles and horrible fillers. Not to mention Totodile the Pokemon that probably had the most personality on Ash's team got horrible treatment.
    Hoenn: 8.5/10 - Nice pacing. The group was pretty fun too aside from Max since he really didn't do anything..I would have liked it even more if Ash got an actual rival though.
    Sinnoh: 8/10 - I liked D/P a lot even though it had it's ups and downs I feel like they should have replaced Brock with someone else at that time though since he was so stale. I also think Ash should have caught Buizel from the beginning instead of trading with Dawn but oh well.
    Unova: 4/10 - It started out okay but now I really don't like it.. I can't even bring myself to be excited for any of he episodes anymore these tournaments are bland and boring the World Tournament is just the Don Battle Tournament with a fancy name. The writers can't handle Ash's reserves and they're ruining Iris's character by having her make it far in a tournament with a Pokemon that she can't even control it's a shame because I actually like her too. But I feel like they should have just used Hilda/Mei instead of Iris and have her appear as a rival instead.
    Aura7541 and Caseydia like this.

I wrote a review for Sinnoh last summer or so, and I gave it an 8. But the last couple of weeks, I've rewatched all the episodes I have on dvd completely (instead of speed running through), and I believe I hardballed (if that's a word-but you get my meaning, I think) the series. It's at least a 9, I think. Whether you personally like the series or not, I think it's undeniable the amount of effort that was put into it. It's pretty close to a work of genius, considering how plot points are weaved over several episodes; the organization to pull that off is pretty breathtaking, especially because of the sheer length of the series. Truly something special, and I think if it didn't have the pokemon label (which I've found tends to make people turn a blind eye to anything), it would really be a highly acclaimed work.

After an effort like Sinnoh, I can't really blame the writers for something substandard effort wise in Isshu. I would do that if I were in their position, just from exhaustion. Doesn't make me happy though...But I really don't want to give a ranking with that in mind...

I'm dodging the topic a little (or alot), but I don't really have strong enough feelings for the other regions to give a ranking to them, either. I have some meaningful memories from all the seasons I think, but they're more like tidbits here and there. :o That sort of disqualifies me from giving a ranking to them. :> I think it's kind of like the memories I have of myself, where I feel like the person I am today didn't really start until about a few years ago, and only a few tidbits here and there earlier than that are meaningful, since that "me" wasn't the me I am today. The situations Sinnoh Ash faces and the decisions he makes in those conflicts are pretty life defining, I really believe, and I think no matter how far we go into the future...whether he's champion, gym leader, frontier brain, elite 4 member, or whatever he decides to do that the writers and advertising mandates allow him to do, he'll always be reasonably close to the guy he became in Sinnoh. So that's really the only region I feel I can really give a sincere ranking to.

Kanto: 6/10
    OI: 6/10
    Johto: 5/10
    Hoenn: 7.5/10
    BF: 7.5/10
    Sinnoh:8.5/10
    Isshu: 7.5/10

NY Islander & Ash Fangirl Islander Princess's Avatar

KANTO: 8/10

I can still watch basically any episode and not be sick of it. I have alot of them on DVD and my DVR from when they re-air; classics. It's also fun to compare these episodes to the newer ones and see how much everything has changed. This was definitely one of the best series, in my own opinion. I found almost all of the characters to be endearing or favorable in one way or another. I also like seeing how much Ash changed between the first episode and the last one of this series.

ORANGE ISLANDS: 7/10

This rating is more from a personal standpoint than anything else. Not all of the episodes were all that great, but I did like more than I didn't. This is another one I have on DVD because I could go for watching it at any time. My friend is a HUGE Tracey fan, so she really makes this series for me. I might not rate it as high if it wasn't for her, but she really makes me love Tracey, haha. I did like alot of the storylines that came out of this series, though (such as Rudy, Danny, Lapras' backstory, all of that) so I think this series was pretty good.

JOHTO: 4.5/10

I didn't like Johto. Which sort of sucks since Ash, Brock, and Misty are my favorite traveling group. I find alot of the episodes to be pretty bland and boring. I really think they could have handled Johto alot better. There are some episodes I'd give a 10, and others I'd give a 1. If there is one series I could change and make better, it would definitely be Johto. I also didn't like most of the characters (I liked how Casey was a baseball fan, but she can be VERY grating after awhile.)

HOENN: 8.5/10

I actually love Hoenn. It might be my favorite series, actually (the only reason I shy away from saying that is because Misty is my all time favorite character, and she's gone in this series.) But I do think May makes a decent replacement (hated her as a kid, and when I rewatch it now, I realize I actually love May...she's just like me!) and I'm actually one of those people who finds Max to be cute, not annoying and useless. Sure, he can't use any Pokemon but I thought he was a charming addition. I LOVED all of May's rivals (Drew and Harley are probably my favorite rivals in the entire series) and the animation was awesome. Also, Ash in Hoenn was my favorite Ash. I felt like he was most mature and skilled in this series. Every series after for him was a huge disgression.

SINNOH: 3/10

By far the worst series, in my opinion. I know no one will agree, but I really could not STAND Sinnoh. I thought almost every single arc and storyline was horrendous. Most of the episodes bored me to tears. I would record them in the morning, watch them, and delete right after without feeling any remorse or the need to watch them later. I think I've watched every episode once; they weren't worth watching again for me. I hated most of the characters, I found absolutely none of them to be endearing, but rather annoying and full of it. I didn't think Dawn was a good replacement for May. Ash was the only saving grace most of the time, but I felt like they dumbed him down from how he was in Hoenn. Didn't like that.

UNOVA: 6.5/10

Wasn't sure if I should give Unova a 6.5 or a 7. I do like the series (it's a BIG improvement over Sinnoh) save for the fact that I feel like they've downgraded Ash fairly horribly. Most of his battles, I think, aren't up to par with what they used to be. He seems even slower than in Sinnoh. What I DO love about the series is the animation and Ash's new travelling companions. I think Iris and Cilan bring alot to the show, especially Cilan. Also, I love every single rival (save for Stephan and Langley who can sometimes get irritating.) The series started off great, but lately the episodes have been boring me. Maybe that's because we're on things like the battle tournament arcs, which I don't usually like anyway. The series is still going, but as of this moment I'd give it a 6.5.
    "I take it very personally when people criticize my game. I want to shove it right back down their throats."
    --Matt Martin

MY FANFICS: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2086119/nyislandersgirl

I Support Pokeshipping <3

追放されたバカ

Kanto 9/10

It was Pokemon at it's best anime wise, and nothing has topped it since, a few errors and irregularities (aim for the horn?) kept it off 10. This season will always be the much loved classic, and is what launced the franchise worldwide, the tv show, that's why so many think the show came first before the games, it came pretty close to excellence, and I haven't seen any tv show since that has created such a phenomena and become so beloved by a generation!

Orange Islands 7/10

Not as good as the Kanto season, but still in good form, a good tv show.

Johto 6/10

My favourite in the games and it had a really strong start, but the constant filler, filler, filler, did lower its score dramatically, if you took out the filler, it could be an 8/10

Hoenn 2/10

Truly dire, 2 is probably a bit generous, the only reason it's getting 2 is because I liked the way they handled Pokemon Contests and gave the girl a bit of a role, but overall, the series was dull dull dull, I watched a few episodes, then switched off, came back now and again but turned off, watched the League Tournament, that was alright, and got bored again in the Battle Frontier. Also it went on for ages, and was almost as long as the first 3 sagas put together.

Sinnoh 7/10

Now after what seemed like an age we finally got a clean start and 2 annoying characters were removed, and a much better one was added in. Still a bit of random filler but overall we were back to setting a good standard.

Unova so far, 8/10

We're back on track, best series since the Kanto saga, going at a nice fast pace, and still has time to fit some humour in, and I love some of the characters, we're still not up to Kanto standards especially with what they done to Team Rocket, but overall very good.

kanto 7,5
    Oranhe island 7
    Jotho 7
    hoenn 7
    sinnoh 5 i don't like much
    unova 7

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Islander Princess View Post
    JOHTO: 4.5/10

I didn't like Johto. Which sort of sucks since Ash, Brock, and Misty are my favorite traveling group. I find alot of the episodes to be pretty bland and boring. I really think they could have handled Johto alot better. There are some episodes I'd give a 10, and others I'd give a 1. If there is one series I could change and make better, it would definitely be Johto. I also didn't like most of the characters (I liked how Casey was a baseball fan, but she can be VERY grating after awhile.)
    Yeah i can agree how there were definitely too many episodes which didn't advanced plot in any way, though admittedly quite a few were funny and highly enjoyable providing many laughs to me. I guess one of redeeming factors why i like Johto for me was chemistry between Ash, Misty and Brock still being entertaining as characters and having many memorable moments(for example i remember she tried to cook soup for sick Brock bickering with Ash over chores, when Brock talked with her about romance and feelings for girls like Temaku,and you can tell Ash and Misty grew as friends arguing less though they still teased each other with sarcasm and jokes being involved. All three had very touching departure having close bond when parting away too.

I liked development they got there too, but i wish they got more leaving lot of room for improvement. On good side Ash concluded rivalry with Gary, becoming better in battling. Misty advanced as trainer having whole arc dedicated to her water master career(Whirl Islands)and it was nice seeing getting over complex of feeling less worthy compared to sisters helping others like Sakura with same issue, or becoming more confident. I enjoyed in Brock growth there too learning how to prepare some medicines, taking care of sick pokemon like Stantler, releasing Vulpix and returning to Suzie from Kanto etc.
    Return of past characters like Duplica, Aya, Todd etc was nice surprise too and recurring pokemon like Delibird were refreshing too.

Out of 158 episodes about 65 were fillers where absolutely nothing important happened, so even though its not majority it was still quite a lot(though several were fun imo).

HOENN: 8.5/10

I actually love Hoenn. It might be my favorite series, actually (the only reason I shy away from saying that is because Misty is my all time favorite character, and she's gone in this series.) But I do think May makes a decent replacement (hated her as a kid, and when I rewatch it now, I realize I actually love May...she's just like me!) and I'm actually one of those people who finds Max to be cute, not annoying and useless. Sure, he can't use any Pokemon but I thought he was a charming addition. I LOVED all of May's rivals (Drew and Harley are probably my favorite rivals in the entire series) and the animation was awesome. Also, Ash in Hoenn was my favorite Ash. I felt like he was most mature and skilled in this series. Every series after for him was a huge disgression.
    Agreed. Hoenn really put Ash abilities as trainer to even higher gear taking training a lot more seriously as more mature person, which can be noticed in lot of effort and dedication he put in Treecko or Corphish training for example. He grew up enough to be able to mentor others, less experienced trainers than he is while not needing help from others so much like he used to in OS. It was intriguing seeing different position in which Ash was out as trainer helping May about contests and strategies, and testament to his growth was that he achieved same result like at Johto league, without relying on older pokemon(except Pikachu).

Admittedly i wish Misty stayed in Hoenn and May joined, being interesting to see group of two girls in cast for change and she could receive more development than. But nevertheless AG were still good series.

SINNOH: 3/10

By far the worst series, in my opinion. I know no one will agree, but I really could not STAND Sinnoh. I thought almost every single arc and storyline was horrendous. Most of the episodes bored me to tears. I would record them in the morning, watch them, and delete right after without feeling any remorse or the need to watch them later. I think I've watched every episode once; they weren't worth watching again for me. I hated most of the characters, I found absolutely none of them to be endearing, but rather annoying and full of it. I didn't think Dawn was a good replacement for May. Ash was the only saving grace most of the time, but I felt like they dumbed him down from how he was in Hoenn. Didn't like that.
    Well i don't consider them worst, but they aren't my favorite cup of tea either,. I feel thy lacked humor, good chemistry between main characters not being memorable as OS or AG group imo and development of some characters cam in unnatural and contrived manner. Even though i liked Dawn growth as coordinator, i still preferred May contest arc .

I wish Sinnoh series had filler arc like Hoenn did with BF.That would avoid problem of saga being stretched for 4 years dragging out with gyms and contests and revisit of Johto would have been intriguing imo going in correlation with release of HGSS remakes.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

Okayy well i have been watching episodes from each series and my score has changed

Kanto/OI 8.8/10
    The best bit about kanto/OI would be the humour and how emotional the series was, yes some episodes were on the borderline of creepy but they kinda fit :3 but the humour really make's this saga a huge plus for me, and i'm not afraid to say i cried a few times from the emotional episodes :(

Johto 9.3/10
    By far my favorite series :3 it had the perfect bland of comedy and maturity, this was also the series that ash finally matured into a fully fledged trainer, yes there were tons of fillers, but they were enjoying :3

Hoenn 9.2/10 Even though johto is my favorite saga hoenn is easily there best work, it's better then johto in every way and pokemon contests were a nice addition in the show and it was the peak of ash's character, the lack of nostalgia make's it my 2nd fav :|

Battlefrontier 7.9/10
    The dub really killed the mini saga for me, but it was still watchable

Diamond and Pearl 8.4/10
    Though people claim sinnoh was actually ash at his peak the lack of personality he had during the saga killed it off for me, sinnoh was easily the best plot driven series but due to how boring the trio was and how little comedy the saga had i had to mark it down

Black And White 8.5/10
    Unova is a strange series, it's not as good as sinnoh especially music wise, but somehow the dub became soo amazing, i don't know why but this saga is far more enjoying dub wise and i actually enjoy it so much, the raw isn't nearly as good though, and with the improved animation and the supurb dub music this is the first series since johto that the dub is actually better then the raw.

Black and White 2 8.9/10
    I am loving this saga so far, they have finally fixed team rocket and they actually have a long term goal, and with the addition of dawn the group is easily the most intersting ever.

My score will most likely change once the dub comes out :)
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

What's this? Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Kanto: 6.5

It's been many years since I've watched the first series, and in hindsight, it didn't have any strong focus on what makes the games so great, (especially Gym battles) but at the time, that's what made it so fun. The show didn't have a set formula, you couldn't really guess what would happen next, or predictable what kind of crazy crap the characters would encounter. I'm sure a lot of the main characters' personalities would drive me up the wall nowadays, (Particularly Ash at his dumbest, and Misty's aggression) though.

Orange Islands: 7/10

There weren't many significant events, but I really liked this series. Since none of the locations, characters, etc. were based on anything from the games, it was even more unpredictable than Kanto, I just couldn't wait to see what we'd see next. The new style of Gym battles were fairly creative, and even though there weren't too many in normal style, those that were were a big improvement from the badge handouts from Kanto. Nothing really amazing of came from Tracey, but he was a largely unoffensive character, so I didn't hate him at all.

Johto: 3/10

My least favourite series. (At the moment) By this point, the show had become far too comfortable with its basic episode formulas, and it suffered greatly for it. It felt like I was watching the same episodes over and over again, only with a different guest Pokemon each time, it was painfully tedious. Gym battles were much improved, and the main Pokemon begun to have more strongly defined personalities, but it wasn't enough to prevent the sheer tedium of spoiling things. There were so many episodes, but so little happened.

Hoenn/Battle Frontier: 8/10

A huge improvement over Johto. They took some risks by changing many established characters and elements, but it paid off big time. Sometimes, the filler episodes could get a little tedious and repetitive, but with far more significant events, a stronger focus on training and my favourite main group yet, they were far more bearable than they were in Johto.

Sinnoh: 9/10

My favourite series yet. It took all the best parts of Hoenn/Battle Frontier and made them even better. It also had, hands down, my favourite of the main group Pokemon, almost every one of them had their own distinct personalities. It had the only main rival of Ash that was done well, and though I prefer May & Max to Dawn, she was generally a likable and well written character. Did get a bit slow towards the end, but the league made up for that.

Unova: 4/10

After the last two series had been a massive improvement, Unova has thrown nearly everything I loved about the show out the window and turned it into the most annoying thing on TV. The pacing is faster, and every episode feels more unique, but it's come at a terrible cost. The battles have become horribly basic, long established characters have bizarrely changed after years of development, hardly any of the main cast Pokemon have strong personalities, and two of the new human characters are indescribably annoying.
    Aura7541, Mikuri, Shinneth and 2 others like this.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Kanto: 7.5
    I take it for what it was intended to be, a comedy that doesn't take itself very seriously, considering it's based on a children's videogame. I particularly love the main trio, you can actually feel they are friends. Some good, funny eps, it drags a bit during battles, but overall I liked it. It's an anime classic.

Orange Islands: 5.0
    It became kind of tedious honestly, with some boring fillers here and there. Misty having all of her personality and grit sucked away from her by that horrendous evil egg and Tracey being kinda boring drags it down. The gyms were unmemorable. By this point I actually liked Brock so I wanted him back.

Johto: 5.5
    I don't know why everyone hates this so much. There's a ton of terrible fillers but there's still some funny episodes. Battles, especially gym battles improved overall. Misty is for me, somewhat grating at this point, really, other than a few episodes here and there I just didn't like her much as in Kanto. Brock hasn't bored me to death yet but he's just kind of there. Ash is progressing, TR are still hilarious. if it wasn't for that string of fillers it would have been better.

Hoenn/Battle Frontier: 6.0
    This saga is just kinda there. Ash's character didn't completely reset, there were some signs of maturity and development, May and Max feel like a fresh addition, with both of them being beginners and Ash having a sort of mentor-like role. Misty is gone for good which feels alright. Brock is back which was kind of expected but I feel this is where he starts to get stale. Good episodes but the lack of a rivalry and the tension that comes with it was disappointing. May's rivals somewhat make up for it though. TR being more than just lovable goofs was nice.

Sinnoh: 9.5
    This is my favorite. At times I couldn't believe I was watching a children's anime. Excellent rival, the sense of urgency for Ash to beat Paul really makes you want to keep watching. Dawn, I liked her better than May and Misty. Good rivals (except for Nando and Kenny, who are just sort of there). The Plasma storyline was good. Loved that the battles had actual strategy and training behind them, they were very good. Good characters (Ursula, Cynthia, Conway, Lyra and that other kid I could go on...) And actual funny but still semi-competent TR, Jessie kicking butt in contests, really everything. Brock has gotten really stale but I don't complain, he's just shoved into the background anyway. My only complaint was the pacing. The year-long gap between badges and the rushed league didn't do it any favors. But overall the best so far.

Unova/Isshu: 1.0
    I still can't understand what happened here. This is so bad I stopped watching the anime for the first time in over a decade. To my knowledge, there weren't any significant changes on the writing or animating staff, so wHY? Oh GOd, what happened? Character regression (Ash is now a total and utter n00b). A terrible rival, if you can call shootie a rival. Terrible battles, underdeveloped team full of boring and soulless battling machines instead of actual characters. Crappy evolve in the middle of battles things, Deus Ex Machinas galore, poor execution of the plot and Iris who is the worst character so far in my opinion. Initially hilarous characters that slowly get stale with their gags (Dento's being X sommelier, the thing with Kenyan's name, Cabernet being a joke etc etc). Oh and how they dare take away my beloved funny TR and replace them with robots in trench coats?! I could go on but I don't think anything that happens later can make up for the garbage that has been Best Wishes. Pass.
    Last edited by OriginalLucario; 15th August 2012 at 08:50 AM.
    Caseydia, Aura7541, Hoopa and 1 others like this.
    FC
    Pearl 5284 5949 8353
    HG 3997 0410 0534

White 3654 0198 4036

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalLucario View Post
    Orange Islands: 5.0
    It became kind of tedious honestly, with some boring fillers here and there. Misty having all of her personality and grit sucked away from her by that horrendous evil egg and Tracey being kinda boring drags it down. The gyms were unmemorable. By this point I actually liked Brock so I wanted him back.
    I disagree. Misty was full of personality being feisty, adventurous and full of quirks in Orange Islands, and reason behind calming down abit was because of starting to develop and mature as character, with Togepi not having anything to do with it.
    I actually enjoyed in her role in OI starting to open herself to Ash and friends appreciating friendship, and not caring about bike anymore. It was nice to see more tender side of Misty while still being temperament, having flirty attitude with Rudy or Danny as well compassionate side which was best showed in "Stun Spore Detour". She had many memorable moments there too like battle against Martina, battling wild Snorlax before Ash caught it, trying to pair up couple from Nidoran episode etc.
    Personally i liked her in whole OS(including Johto), but to each their own.

Speaking of Orange Islands in general they felt fresh,unique and had entirely different tone to it than future series in my opinion.It was anime exclusive,with gyms and whole league format following different set of rules.Like having instead of gym matches shooting practice,races or making ice sculptures.Locations,gym leaders and whole story felt fresh,unorthodox and out of place being one of regions where writers really could use their creativity and imagination to fullest.

Blog Entries

This isn't a Misty thread. Best to leave people to their own ratings.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast