From 1-10 how would you rate each saga? - Page 10

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

Default Re: From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

I'll just do a quick run down:

Kanto: 9 - Pretty much perfect, with a few exceptions like the handling of Ash's team.
    Orange Islands: 8 - Consistently good, no big complaints.
    Johto: 6.5 - Started off great, but the fillers in the middle brought it down.
    Hoenn: 6 - Good story-wise, but it dragged on for a bit and I wasn't a fan of that.
    Kanto Battle Frontier: 5.5 - A great idea that was badly executed.
    Sinnoh: 7 - Character development galore for Ash's Pokemon, plus well-developed rivals and villains.
    Unova: 3 - Terrible for a variety of reasons that I can't be bothered to list at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post

It's not actually possible to be 100% unbiased.
    As far as I'm concerned I have my favourites but I never wish my favourites to get too much time and take time away from others, I think I am but the real problem here is the ones that are 100% biased.
    Since there are different types and levels of bias it is reasonable to say someone is more biased than another(although that is actually considered a form of bias lol). I would say you are less biased than other people but you can't really judge people for it since its all based on our perception which is based on our past experiences and how much effort we put towards the optimal "unbiased opinion" but its never truly possible.

As for Pokemon, since the writers would naturally try to keep in touch with as much of their fan base as possible It's not unreasonable to see why some people would hate parts of it that another group adored.
    No one here is less biased than anyone else like you said. I think it depends what you're looking for in this show like you said before.
    Technically speaking. There are different degrees of bias.

Bias that affects your decision making is essentially a "brain shortcut" called Heuristics. When you are presented with new material and you need to make a judgement on it, you brain takes the quickest, easiest route and processes a decision based on your past experiences, since everyone has different experiences they become afflicted with different levels and types of bias. .

I'd also like to mention, there are various forms of bias and they all affect you differently. For example someone who has a deep belief on a specific will most likely have to deal with Choice-supportive bias/confirmation bias which are very powerful and get even stronger if the person in question is emotionally invested. Compare this to someone unfamiliar or neutral with the specific subject and you will see they don't have to deal with these biases(at least not as intensely since they are not emotionally involved) . It's also important to consider most forms of cognitive bias(decision making bias) can vary in potency based on your motivation. If you are more motivated than someone else you tend to be more biased than them. Even if you share a common side/argument.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it is possible for people in this thread to be more biased than others based on what they believe in, how much they believe it and how motivated they are to get their message across. It's not a bad thing, being biased doesn't necessarily make you wrong. It just means you have a different perception and since this is a purely opinion based thread there is no right answer.

I think a interesting thread would be is "What does X region have that Y region doesn't and how has that made it better or worse?" Then we can have a discussion where opinions can be challenged.
    Last edited by Psychotic; 21st July 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Once I find something interesting. I'll put it here.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't remember every single thing about every series, I can only vividly remember the most recent seasons I've seen and my personal favorites so some maybe be more thought out than others.

Kanto: 8/10- A lot of nostalgia factor helping the Original Series out here, but, to be honest. I can't really find too much to complain about for this series since it was the first. The cast was the best it will probably ever hope to be; we got a great portrayal of Misty, Ash, and Brock's close relationships as friends and they had great interactions between them. The Pikachu here is my all time favorite with his kicking of treadmills, funny faces as Leer attacks, and using boxing gloves to attack. He and Ash had the best relationship here, in my opinion and it sucks that they don't seem to have that same bond as of Episode N. Gym battles were much more interesting and involved more strategy than just "Attack! ATTACK!! GO FOR IT!! I LOVE YOU" Ash had a nice team round up with interesting personalities and I felt he really was trying to catch them all by using such unique Pokemon as Muk, Kingler, Snorlax, and Tauros, Pokemon I probably wouldn't like as much if I'd never seen the anime and just went by the games. I mean, Muk? It's just some sewer trash! NO. Muk is adorable and awesome. The Pokerap, Pikachu's Jukebox, and Pokemon Kareokemon also HUGE contribute points. I just loved those songs at the end and it made everything feel that much more real to me. I felt like we all truly lived in a Pokemon World, pun intended. What's it lose points for? Well, several inaccuracies regarding type match-ups and other things that may have been dub only, but they're quite minor and understandable for the first series.Orange Islands will not be rated as I do not remember enough to properly rate it.

Johto: 7/10- Johto also suffers the fate of me not really remembering everything very well about it. It's also getting a high rating for nostalgia as Pokemon Johto is, to this day, my favorite opening, and, as such, I just remember enjoying the series. I do hear, now, that it was riddled with apparently awful chains of filler episodes, so I can't give it that full score on nostalgia alone, even if I don't remember it that way. I will acknowledge that this series introduced a lot of Pokemon that I love. Cyndaquil, Crobat, Noctowl, Heracross, Phanpy, Bayleef, Tododile, Politoed...Pokemon that I love to this day, because of the anime.

Hoenn: 5/10- Once again, I sadly don't remember a lot about Hoenn. I do remember, vividly, that Ash still had his goofy personality when he went in a store and dressed himself (or maybe just his face?) up in, what seemed like, anything he could pick up. I do remember the contests and not liking the time they took away from Ash's Gym Battles. I frankly did not like May or Max's personalities that much and I didn't feel like they brought too much to the group (they seemed to be, as Benkei would probably call them: baggage), but I liked Ash mentor role to the both of them. (Once again, I cannot remember much about the Frontier except a few Frontier Brains and their battles with Ash to point out any flaws or give a proper rating. I generally liked it and Battle Frontier is my third favorite theme.)

Sinnoh: 9/10- My favorite series behind the Original. Ash was smart, he had skill, he wasn't screwing around, he was a mentor to Dawn, had the best Gym battles, awesome and evolved Pokemon, and Sinnoh the best villainous team plot! Paul is the best rival, in my opinion. A true opposite of Ash to really get us to see a different side of him. He was also a badass. Once again, it seems like an annoying female companion getting side-tracked with contests took away from Ash's development. Though, I can say, I liked Dawn at times, she just seemed to waste all of our time with Contests, then moping about them when she lost, and generally being a crybaby and trying to milk sympathy from everyone. And while I'm on that, Jessie wasted my time with this, too. Jesse-whatever-suffix-she-wants-to-use is someone I would be fine with never seeing again. Unlike others, I feel like the group of Ash, Dawn, and Brock were pretty close. Closer than they were to May and Max, in my opinion. It was sad to see Brock go, but nice to see him having realized his true potential in being a Pokemon Doctor and setting off to do so. What prevents the full 10? Well, Ash lost the league being one. Though, it was because his opponent was written in such a way so that he stood no chance. The second reason being...Sinnoh is when I truly learned what a filler was. When I first watched an episode (the Tangrowth one, to be precise) and wondered: "Why the hell is this happening and why am I watching it? Why do we keep getting side-tracked and making virtually no progress for multiple episodes at a time? Why are WASTING OUR TIME?!" On another positive note, Sinnoh was pretty hardcore with characters like Cyrus and Hunter J not giving a damn about the lives of others. Not to mention, these two characters were, arguably and likely, killed on screen. I can't help but be thankful for that. Things like these are good for the series; we need to see more moments without all the friendship crap and happiness, because the series is more than that.

Unova: 1/10- I can't...I simply cannot give it anything higher. Awful digression of Ash, AWFUL league, terrible use of characters, and, worst of all, horrible, repetitive fillers. Unova didn't feel like a reboot, it felt like a vacation. Ash had zero motivation in becoming a Pokemon Master or beating the league AT ALL no matter how many times he said it. He was goofing off and exploring Unova, which is what hurts the series the most. I was so excited when I watched the first few episodes try to emulate the first season: there was a legendary Pokemon, Ash turned his hat around and climbed up a tree, Team Rocket was a threat...and then it just all went downhill. He caught way too many Pokemon and basically only used his starters. His loss to Trip was infuriating even if Pikachu couldn't use Electric attacks. Ash shouldn't have been trying to use them on a Snivy, anyway. Speaking of, all these "rivals" were not needed. I can barely call Trip anymore of a rival than I would Bianca or Cameron. They were all basically shafted upon each other, and we don't know too much about any of them. Ash, Cilan, and Iris have to be the WORST traveling companions EVER! They don't even seem like they're that close. I mean, they have NO real reason to even be traveling together! Also, I was pretty peeved that they introduce these quirks about characters that are either: gone after their first appearance, or super repetitive to the point of annoyance. The former includes Trip and Iris. Trip takes picture in like, the first two episodes he appears? Where's the camera afterward? Now he's all about Alder. Just a terrible execution of a supposed rival. Then there's Iris, the "wild girl". Well she swings from vines and picks berries for a while, but then what? All this "What a kid" crap when Ash does something like she's so civilized? I can hardly call Iris a wild girl compared to Sapphire from Adventures, that's for sure. Frankly, I have to commend them for their portrayal of her in that flashback from her childhood at that school where they remembered that she isn't supposed to fit in with society. Then the latter: annoying quirks. Bianca's failure to walk like a normal person or to run with her eyes OPEN! Cameron's stupid mistakes. Cilan's "I am the ultimate Connoisseur of whatever is the subject of the episode." Axew's retartedness. It was just all too annoying. I'll keep the final complaints short in that Ash's loss to Cameron is the biggest disgrace in this franchise and that the "Axew Gets Lost" fillers were equally painful to watch. What saves this from being a total flop? Basically, two things: it was Episode N and serious Team Rocket. Those few episodes of the N arc let me know that this series can be serious when they want to. The villains can be serious and threaten other humans and intentionally bring direct destruction to people and I am grateful for that. Colress, N, and Ghetsis were great characters in the Anime and they were portrayed MUCH better than they were in the games, in my opinion. In such a way that I truly understood what each wanted. Team Rocket being serious were equally refreshing. Seeing them have actual orders from Giovanni as part of a bigger plan to get a legendary Pokemon, and seeing Giovanni get off his ass were just great. Though, the regression to their old idiot selves wanting Pikachu by the end of the series was very upsetting and doesn't give me high hopes should they appear in the XY series, which is pretty likely.
    Last edited by Team Gaara; 22nd July 2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Sakuraa likes this.

Destinies United Kalos Adventurer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Advanced Generation Series > Original Series > Diamond & Pearl Series > Best Wishes Series

Original Series > Best Wishes Series>Advanced Generation Series> Diamond & Pearl Series

OS:10/10. Ash,Misty and Brock were the best trio of the entire series, Pikachu was a lot more better here then he is in the new episodes, Team Rocket trio were at their bestest here, the Kanto team was also really great.

DP:1/10. The League was awful, the characters were boring and Ash had no good personality at all, worst series ever.

BW:10/10.The animation was an improvement, the characters were more fun and interesting, the Pokemon League was really great, Ash had a lot more better personality then before.

AG:6/10. Ash look really cool in his new Hoenn outfit, May and Max were ok but not all that great, Ash's Hoenn team could have been much better.
    Last edited by Pikacuh; 26th July 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikacuh View Post
    Original Series > Best Wishes Series>Advanced Generation Series> Diamond & Pearl Series

OS:10/10. Ash,Misty and Brock were the best trio of the entire series, Pikachu was a lot more better here then he is in the new episodes, Team Rocket trio were at their bestest here, the Kanto team was also really great.

DP:1/10. The League was awful, the characters were boring and Ash had no good personality at all, worst series ever.

BW:10/10.The animation was an improvement, the characters were more fun and interesting, the Pokemon League was really great, Ash had a lot more better personality then before.

AG:6/10. Ash look really cool in his new Hoenn outfit, May and Max were ok but not all that great, Ash's Hoenn team could have been much better.
    Worst league? Best rival battle; boring characters? I found Barry annoying, but Conway, Nando and Paul were intereseting, other character wee also handled well
    YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

Quote Originally Posted by SamurottMan View Post

Worst league? Best rival battle; boring characters? I found Barry annoying, but Conway, Nando and Paul were intereseting, other character wee also handled well
    Paul was okay but he could had been handled a lot more better,Conway was great, Nando wasn't too bad either;The League could have been work on a lot more better.

Paul was okay but he could had been handled a lot more better,Conway was great, Nando wasn't too bad either;The League could have been done better.
    FIFY

Wanna give a reason why you felt the league was awful? The premise of a subject can't be its conclusion.
    8ther and Pokémon Master Ash like this.

Kanto: 8/10. Great. Felt more like an actual TV show than a childish plushie commercial.

Orange: 7/10. Same as above.

Johto: 8/10. Solid, although the episodes are quite repetive.

Hoenn: 6/10. Decent, although repetive.The Team Aqua/Magma climax was dissapointing.

Frontier: 7/10. Good, I thought it was a step up from Hoenn.

DP: 8/10. Awesome. The gym battles, rivals and Team Galactic were excellently handled. Team Rocket didn't blast off in every episode's climax.

Best Wishes: 0/10. Absolute garbage. The awkward animation, reused BGM, too many clones of past characters/Pokemon, terrible league, Ghetis and Colress were butchered, Ash's regression, Cilan's cringe-worthy dialogue, Iris, and the childish and toyetic approach, all make this saga the absolute worst.
    Last edited by P0KEM0N; 3rd August 2013 at 02:18 AM.
    8ther and SaftOchBulle like this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Paul was okay but he could had been handled a lot more better,Conway was great, Nando wasn't too bad either;The League could have been done better.
    FIFY

Wanna give a reason why you felt the league was awful? The premise of a subject can't be its conclusion.
    Like Pikacuh, Sinnoh is also my least favorite saga holistically of the Pokemon Anime, yet even I think the Sinnoh League was pretty good. I guess part of the faults he may have with it come from how the battle between Tobias and Ash had been handled. I suppose the last-minute "overpowered legendary user" being thrown in solely to defeat Ash is what made the League a lot worse in people's eyes that it could've been.

The Ash vs. Paul and Ash vs. Conway battles made up for that for me, so that's why I feel the League was still good overall, but I can definitely see why people would not consider it a good league.

Reverse BW with AG and you have my opinion: OS > AG > BW > DP
    Neo Blaze likes this.

FIFY

The Sinnoh League was way to short and boring aswell, some of Ash's pokemon didn't even get a chance to be used either.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Sinnoh League was way to short and boring aswell, some of Ash's pokemon didn't even get a chance to be used either.
    It was no shorter than any other league, so I don't know where you're getting this from, and Ash has never used all of his Pokémon in any league before.

Blog Entries

FIFY

If you're talking about his Sinnoh team, then you are wrong. And Ash has more than 30 pokemon, they can't show every pokemon!
    YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

FIFY

If you're talking about his Sinnoh team, then you are wrong. And Ash has more than 30 pokemon, they can't show every pokemon!
    True. One thing I will say the Sinnoh League improved over the Hoenn League is that Ash used Pokemon from all his journeys up until that point in the League, which was nice.

Overall the Johto and Hoenn Leagues are my favorite, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post

FIFY

Like Pikacuh, Sinnoh is also my least favorite saga holistically of the Pokemon Anime, yet even I think the Sinnoh League was pretty good. I guess part of the faults he may have with it come from how the battle between Tobias and Ash had been handled. I suppose the last-minute "overpowered legendary user" being thrown in solely to defeat Ash is what made the League a lot worse in people's eyes that it could've been.

The Ash vs. Paul and Ash vs. Conway battles made up for that for me, so that's why I feel the League was still good overall, but I can definitely see why people would not consider it a good league.
    Ash had to lose somehow. The idea of an average trainer using such high tier legendaries is actually a new concept. IMO it was a good way to make him lose without making him appear weak by suffering defeat to someone else. Look at Harrison/Tyson or that one girl in the indigo league. They were all random last minute average joes. Are they really any better than Tobias?
    Team Gaara likes this.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast