From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

Blog Entries

Default From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

On a scale from 1-10 how would you rate Indigo, OI, Johto, AG, DP and BW, and why?

Trophies

Default Re: From 1-10 how would you rate each saga?

Kanto- 8
    OI-3
    J- 6
    AG-7
    DP- still to watch
    BW-5

Kanto - 4
    For the horrible pacing, some boring fillers, inconsistency with game mechanics, and Ash getting a bunch of badges unfairly.
    Orange Islands - 5
    Johto - 2
    For the horrible, horrible fillers, Misty and Brock are useless and boring, and rather lame plots.
    AG - Haven't watched the whole thing, so far it's 6-7
    Interesting, funny, but BF felt rushed, and there were some really cringe-worthy fillers.
    DP - 8
    Awesome series: Flashbacks to older characters, deus ex machina moments kept to a minimum, best rival ever, complex battles, that hilarious Togepi episode, oh, I could go on for hours.
    BW - 5
    Writers are, in my opinion, screwing up Iris, Ash's team is underdeveloped, and battles have been less interesting. BUT Dent and Iris are really hilarious characters for the most part and there have been some great episodes.
    Caseydia and Aura7541 like this.

Blog Entries

Kanto- 6
    It really was a fine region (especially since the anime just began), but the fact that Satoshi acquired way to many pity badges and the immense praises it gets makes me look at Kanto with contempt.

Orange Islands- 5
    This was a really unique era in the anime series (travelling by sea, Satoshi winning the Orange League, the adorableness that is Kenji), but it really had some awful filler episodes that brought my score for it down.

Jouto- 4
    The Jouto saga doesn't get the attention it deserves. Sure it has endless filler and Kasumi and Takeshi didn't get as much development as we'd like, but we really got some fantastic episodes from it. Happinas' Happy Nurse! is my favorite episode out of the franchise and the Kogane Radio Tower and Ice Path episodes are in my top 15 as well.

AG- 7
    Houen had siblings travel with Satoshi for the first time, so that was unique. I didn't like Takeshi returning for the region (likewise with BF and Sinnoh) and doing absolutely nothing as usual. I hated the how animation looked for Houen (and late Jouto when the animation switched to digital) it was too simple and boring; it also seemed like we had the worst animation directors animated the series as a whole as we got little Iwane and Tamagawa action in it. Battle Frontier's animation look was very better than Houen's, thankfully; it looked more brighter and sleeker it you look at screenshots.

DP-9.5
    The best series yet. The only thing bringing the score down is Takeshi's uselessness and the blandness that is Kengo.

BW hasn't ended yet, so I can't grade it just yet. My apologies if this post sounds incoherent to you as I'm awful at explaining my thoughts. ^^;;
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 27th July 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Deleting inapproriate comment
    Trainer Gabriel and Catspring like this.

Kanto-6
    OI-5
    Johto-3(TOO MUCH FILLERS)
    Hoenn-7
    BF-7
    Sinnoh-8
    BW-3(its garbage now)
    Last edited by Mythicalzoe; 27th July 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Kanto = 6
    Orange = 4
    Johto = 3
    Hoenn = 7
    BF = 8
    Sinnoh = 9
    Isshu = 5
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

C-3

Kanto - 4
    Orange Islands - 6
    Johto - 6
    Hoenn- 7
    Battle Frontier - 7.5
    Sinnoh - 9
    Unova - 5
    Caseydia and Aura7541 like this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Kanto - 6.0
    Orange Islands - 5.0
    Johto - 4.5
    Hoenn - 7.0
    Battle Frontier - 7.5
    Sinnoh - 1.5
    Unova -8.5

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as rating goes this is what i think:
    Kanto: It had slapstick humor and great group dynamic between Ash, Misty and Brock(possibly best cast chemistry i saw so far in pokemon). It had wacky plots like Island of Giant pokemon or unique mini arcs like Sabrina was being full of unexpected twists straying away from games to large degree, which added certain charm to series. Gym leaders seemed to have more outgoing personalities there too(like rough lt. Surge, eccentric Blaine, Sabrina with personality distorter etc. Storyline had lot of rather inappropriate elements to it too which added to appeal, like Giant Gengar and Alakazam threatening to destroy whole world, abnormal Tentacruel trying to destroy whole city, Sabrina turning people into dolls, guns being used against Ash(although that was banned)etc.

On negative side:pretty bad pacing between gyms. Half of gym battles were interrupted bringing in question legitimacy of some of Ash badges. Pokemon were released too quickly not allowing them to show their full potential(like Primeape or Pidgeott)

Very creative and fresh way to start some show, going above edge often enough to get viewers hooked on show. I give it 9.8 in my book.

Orange Islands: Being anime exclusive arc adding to unpredictability. We had fantastic league with spectacular battle against champion and his Dragonite. I enjoyed in different side of Misty character being showed, having romantic subplot with quit a few characters(like Danny or Rudy). Ash caught some amazing pokemon there like Snorlax(i still remember how much trouble it caused for everyone pokemon, until Jigglypuff came in and sent it to dreamland).

On negative side: Brock being replaced after too short period of time, not having chance to be developed enough. Tracey wasn't developed at all not staying long enough. Ash had none rivals there with Gary being basically nonexistent.

It could have been better, but factor of unpredictability and substance of development some characters received earns score 9.2.

Johto: gym battles and battling in general was improved(highlights were Clair, Pryce and Morty gym matches). We had several fantastic mini-arcs like Whirl islands being crowned with Whirl Cup tournament which offered quite a lot of development for Misty and her career of becoming water master. Team Rocket as organization started to be more threatening influencing story to more significant degree which can be noticed with Red Gyarados arc which brought Lance, or Lugia storyline with dr. Namba. it may had lot of fillers but several of them were actually enjoyable and very memorable being one of best episodes in history and interacting between group was still great with Ash, Misty and Brock bringing lot of humor ad fun dynamic on several occasions.

On negative side: Misty was replaced before her time was up not being enough fleshed out as character, with story ending unfinished. While i don't mind fillers its little to say how they exaggerated with them there instead of being used for something more productive(like development of characters, more attention being given to group pokemon, Gary actually being build up for something appearing more often as rival). Abandon of GS ball hurt series a lot defeating original purpose with which Ash was sent to Johto.

It had some gold moments, but also several miss as saga so i can't give it more than 6.9.

Hoenn: Addition of contests was nice touch to show offering something new on table, being nice to see May growth as coordinator having some of best rivals in history(like Harley). Ash began growing more as character being mature enough to take on mentor role using different approach toward battles. Brock had someone to who he could relate having pretty good chemistry with Max, which helped his characterization quite abit in Hoenn having several noteworthy moments there(like battle vs May, battle for Pewter gym etc).

On negative side: Group pokemon were still experiencing same issue from OS with several pokemon like Mudkip, Skitty, Torkoal not being developed as much as they could have been. Max started to lose purpose at times with lack of pokemon hurting character usefulness quite alot. Some of BF Ash wins, or May contest performances were rather unrealistic and DEM.
    Team Magma and Team Aqua delivered us terrible finale ending as real fiasco and huge disappointment. Ash not having any rivals was minus too.

Better than Johto in some segments , but still not as fun and memorable like first two regions were so i go with 8.2.. Hoenn was generally good, but BF was huge disappointment to me.

Sinnoh: Ash finally get proper rival like Paul, leading to one of deepest and best done development of rivalry in history of pokemon. Team Galactic and Hunter J were huge step forward big step forward in treatment of villains compared to dreadful AG villains. Dawn had well done contest arc liking progress she made as coordinator, and half rival-half mentor role Zoey provided. Return of some long time forgotten characters like Gary, May or even Jasmine were nice and refreshing throwback to past too.

On negative side: Sinnoh was stretched out as saga for too long cramming everything in 4 years, when filler arc would be much more helpful to maintain steam DP achieved in first half of its run. Too many episodes focusing on training and appeals added to staleness factor at times(too much of something isn't always good), instead of being used for something more productive(like character development of more shafted characters). Brock even though started to grow more as breeder getting his first egg, and starting to reconsider change of profession was often left out being shafted most out of all regions he was in. Interacting between DP group was worst compared to other regions imo, with Brock having weakest chemistry with Dawn out of all girls.

Still in story aspect Sinnoh was probably best done saga, but in humor and overall enjoyment it slipped down so i give it 7.3.

Unova(so far): Cilan and Iris are in general enjoyable characters offering some pretty good interacting between cast, with lot of humor and charm circulating between cast(second best after original cast in my opinion). Team Rocket is finally involved in some serious role becoming more competent with Giovanni return conveying them in light of more important characters. Addition of dr. Zager was intriguing surprise in itself too, and hopefully they wont disappoint in BW2. I admit im enjoying in Ash changing approach doing pokemon rotation, which several other trainers like Gary, Paul etc before him did(regardless of not everyone getting adequate focus) and rivals are for most part fun adding life to series which would otherwise feel flat due to scarse story. Burgundy, Langley, Steven or Bianca are especially meritorious for this with their quirks and antics bringing extra spice to main cast.

On negative side: Lack of older pokemon,characters or references to past in new region hurt continuity and cogency of series to large degree. However Dawn return, Cynthia comeback and reuse of older pokemon throws new life to series fixing this problems, and increasing chance to see more of this pleasant surprises later down the road.
    Unova seemed in start little like rehash of original series in some aspects defeating its purpose , but as time went on characters and main plot became distinct enough from previous arcs avoiding risk of Bw ending as cheap knockoff.
    Iris isn't developed enough, main purpose behind journey(Axew) and its growth is rather stagnating, with story containing several inconsistencies. Cilan isn't in better position either with his goal of becoming top connoisseur being left on relatively vague note, not offering outlets through which we could see him taken forward.

Overall decent having nice comedy and cast interactions, but lack of development and initial message of "fresh start"hurting anime credibility so far earns only 7.9 in my opinion. Depending on how will BW2 be handled this might change.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Orange Islands - 5
    Johto - 2
    For the horrible, horrible fillers, Misty and Brock are useless and boring, and rather lame plots.
    I don't know, i didn't find them boring. Misty and Brock still had fun personality and i remember many fun moments they got together(such as Misty giving romantic advices to Brock, cooking soup when taking care of him when he was sick etc).
    I don't think they were useless either, when they had more screen time in Johto, battled more and got more development(Brock had more episodes focusing on breeding, Misty won Seaking event, entered Whirl Cup, became more mature by end of saga etc)than they had in Kanto.

Only difference was that Johto was longer region, so in comparison to Kanto they didn't got as much as they should had but they still had memorable moments there.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 28th July 2012 at 05:27 AM.
    Duque, R&T and Pokémon Master Ash like this.

Blog Entries

Kanto/Orange Islands - I consider both Kanto and OI as one and the same, since it's in the same generation. Nostalgia feelings aside, not so many episodes are my favorites here, but, in general, it was a funny saga. I don't like how Ash gets a half of his badges by sympathy/pity or the wasted potential of primeape and pidgeot. However, he had the best personality of all "Ashes", his "fights" with Misty were funny and he did sound a common boy (not a forced good natured fella like in BW). I agree that Misty, Brock and Ash had the best chemistry of all the groups. Good times when Misty was funny to watch. "Charizard chills" and the battle against Drake was the summit of the saga.

Grade: 6,8

Johto - Johto is infamous for be the most fillerish arc of all, but, some of these were great (Temako episode, most of Iwane animated episodes, like smoochum's and the radio tower). It consolidated the gym battles' format as a whole thereafter. I have problems to find the gym battles exciting here, except for Falkner's and Pryce's. In general, it was good to see Misty's and Brock's pokemon (who aren't named "onix", "geodude", "staryu" and "goldeen") get some focus, but, battle wise, Ash's Johto team was underdeveloped (espeon would have been a better addition, even though I liked phanpy's performance).

See about the REAL Team Rocket's operations as a crime society was good in the red gyarados episodes, the Johto league was well played and Ash, Misty and Brock farewell was the most tearful than all the others: FACT. In geral, a regular arc.

Grade: 7,0

Houenn/Battle Frontier - The first arc where Ash's regional team was a must (I can't understand until now why he couldn't have a sixth 3rd gen pokemon, though), specially for the flying type been a top battler. Some awesome gym battles/frontier brain (DEM by the most part, but, it's not a problem to me :3) and... enter May. I remember some people had problems with her, by the time she replaced Misty, but, May earned her own place and the contests added something new to the show. See Ash in a mentor role, mature but still with some of his quirks was great and the reason because AG Ash is still one of his best versions. Brock was there being... Brock. I can't remember to see good AG episodes about him except the sharpedo one and the ones during the BF. And Max...sincerly, I can't see a good thing about a brat who aims to be a trainer, when we know time is a taboo in the show, so, Max will wait for his chance as much as Ash will aim to be a Pokemon Master. overall, AG was an enjoyable saga.

Grade: 8,2

Sinnoh - The first arc I saw subbed, not dubbed. It really grew on me as a fantastic arc, with some awesome battles. Ash & Dawn were the main tag team (the fact I love their complicity have some weight), but, in many moments, that saga sound to me as Ash was the sidekick and Dawn, the main protagonist. Brock was there, again, being... Brock. But, I noticed they did put some effort on him there, beside the poor interactions with Dawn. Well, for the first (and only) time, Brock bonded with a legendary pokemon, mentioned a few times his past work as a gym leader and remained as Ash's closest human male friend, since Dawn kinda turned to be Ash's best female friend (poor Misty :P). No word about piplup, it was interesting until it turn into a spotlight hog.

Sinnoh also presented me with one of Ash's best regional teams. All of them (yeah, even staraptor and gible) were well portrayed and had a close bond with his trainer, since I felt all of them really worked like a team with Ash. I kinda missed a riolu with Ash, but, it wasn't that important after chimchar evolved all the way. Say something about Paul is unnecessary, he was the summit of the rivals, despite the fact he was showed as someone too powerful to be defeated by Ash. It was somewhat irritating. Facts aside, Cynthia, Looker, Team Galactic and Hunter J helped a lot to turn that saga in something interesting. However, some episodes just had a poor animation and the fillers were boring at the most part.

Grade: 8,5

I prefer wait for Best Wishes end, but, by now, the current fail to me is only for have Ash's worst incarnation of all. I respect some people find BW Ash funny, but, for me, he's just disgusting until this moment. I don't have sympathy for Iris, while Cilan and oshawott can be entertaining in some point.
    Last edited by Duque; 30th July 2012 at 05:50 AM.
    SammyW27 likes this.
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

Blog Entries

You really want to know? Ok, but know that this is pretty much a preliminary rating in terms of Unova, although it is pretty much a forgone conclusion by now.

Kanto: 2, although it should probably be 5 for what it's true function is. There is a reason for this. I will say right now that I favor the series being close to the games, but I will concede, this saga was not meant to be taken seriously. It's supposed to be a comedy, and it does well in that regard. It's still schizophrenic in that it's trying to be a shounen story too, but I digress. I have said before, I can understand some of it. If you were thrown into a world of mystical creatures, not knowing what they're capable of, you wouldn't do so well, either. However, Ash is too dumb to live, and really the circumstances here shouldn't have happened. In the spirit of humor, though, one could say that's the point, though. The writing here is among the most clever, I will admit. There are some clever ideas as to what pokemon can do, and this did set the ground work for how many would portray the pokemon world from this point forward. The characters have good focus, and TR is a mix of threatening and comic relief, although they would become more comic as time would go on. The fillers are so so in how they do. Some are good, some are bland. One might say it's a mixed bag, and really this should be balanced. The main reason why I personally rate this so low is that I can't stand the kiddiness anymore. I might've handwaved it back then, but this junk is just all out irritating to me now. I hold nothing against anyone that prefers the humor of this saga, but it's not my thing.

Orange: 4. I will admit, I don't remember this saga that well. In fact, I'm not even sure if I saw all of it, not even all the gyms. The only reason I'm rating this so high is merely because of the originality. This is perhaps the most creative the writing staff will ever be, but it's only because this saga was created to be filler. It continues the trends from Kanto, only now there's less filler because this saga is shorter. I can't say that the ideas put in here aren't interesting, though. They even invented double battles far before the games themselves would. The overall theme of this place was to undo the mess of the previous, where Ash was so incompetent that he could barely tie his shoes. Here, we are at least given the idea that he does know what he is doing, and that he can be a good trainer. Despite all this, though, it still possesses the flaws of Kanto, and I guess that's why it's so forgettable. It did little to improve upon it other than the fact it was more original. As for Tracey, even though the idea of him is fairly interesting, he didn't really do anything, and like Brock would eventually become, just seemed to blend into the background.

Johto: 3. I've had to revise my view on this on closer inspection of it. This did improve a lot on the ideas of Kanto, mostly with badges being won for actually being skilled at pokemon. When the writing is good, it is still entertaining. However, I can't deny that the sheer amount of blandness that most of the eps convey really drags this saga down. The extended presence of Misty and Brock doesn't help since now they don't have much to do other than the roles they play in the group dynamic, and even then, Misty mellowed out a lot. TR was starting to get tiring since their gag had become almost cookie cutter. The larger TR had only two multi part schemes that I can think about. Gary was barely even seen, even though this would be the culmination of that rivalry. This was their first attempt at making the saga last for a long time, but it's clear that they didn't know what they were doing. I will say that there is still good to be had, but overall, it's just weighed down too heavily.

Hoenn: 6. Hoenn shall be forever noted for one thing that would change the series for the better. Now that Ash is in the mentor role, and May can have all the "cute" pokemon gravitated to her and her Contest friends, he is finally free to have his pokemon evolve and truly show the power he possesses. May brings in a new subplot that will serve the role of filling in those long gaps between gyms, and showing pokemon battles in a different way. Even though this did reduce the slog, what filler there still was is just as bland as it was in Johto. The villains did close to nothing, and had a really unceremonious resolution. Brock's long term presence is also starting to weigh down as his gags have run thin, and he's catching less pokemon. I think this was the saga that started the idea that TR is maybe not so bad. There was always an indication, yes, but here is where they really started to bring home the point. Jessie even got given a new role as one of May's rivals, although in a rather joking manner, since Jessie was too concerned about her own image to really put effort into training her pokemon. All in all, I'd merely say this saga was "okay". Definitely better than the previous sagas by far, but that's merely my opinion.

Battle Frontier: 7. The greatest virtue of this saga is that there are almost no fillers, so it's a near non-stop thrill ride from beginning to end, and what a thrill. Now that Ash is using his reserves, we truly see how far he's come to this point. May's contests continue to be as lively as always, now with more Harley to punctuate it further. I say this, but I do know that like the next saga, it has a slow start, literally. To this day, I have not seen the fillers at the beginning of the saga since they're the same bland fare we've had for years. This is perhaps the only thing dragging it down, but even though it's less than the next saga, it just makes it feel more empty to me, I guess. I still like this saga, but it could've been done better. It's essentially Hoenn without the filler.

Sinnoh: 8, to be as fair as I can be. This is perhaps the closest to perfection we will get unless something happens. The entire saga actually built up to something, and it was well done. Even the villians were a lot more hardcore and had a consistent ongoing plot. The Contest plot, even though we've already seen it, it was more reasonably crafted here since they had more time to develop it. The fillers were well written as well, and were entertaining even if they had nothing to do with anything. The reason for 8, though, is that it does still have some flaws. The saga up to at least Gardenia is kinda bland, following the same kind of structure we saw in Hoenn. It wasn't until after that the fillers started to get their stride. Dawn doesn't have interesting rivals, save for Ursula, and Dawn is given pretty much a free pass on her. Finally, even though the dynamic between Ash and Dawn was given focus, the fact we've had Brock for this long has taken it's toll. He only had a few eps of focus, and only got fairly interesting by the end of the saga. The best thing I can say about it is Croagunk was a fresh new version of the ear pulling gag. Yeah, I know TR was pretty much the same as they've always been, but here, I can at least say their development had come a long way. One could even convince themselves that they're not really bad guys, and are just in their situation because they had no other choice. Especially Jessie, who finally becomes a competent Coordinator, and Meowth, who finds things he enjoys other than being a scheming bugger. I could be biased, but this is currently my favorite saga, and definitely the best that they have given us.

Unova: 2.5 Yes, only a smidgeon above Kanto. The only reason is that technically, things are still close to how they are in the games, what with the gyms being won through skill (mostly). The overall feel is very similar to Kanto, though, except I'm sorely tempted to deduct points for ruining the continuity to achieve this. Cilan is at least more entertaining than Brock, but he still has little point, and Iris is barely focused on at all, and when she is, it's often to put her on a pedestal that should be too high for where she is. The rivals are pretty bland, although they have improved as of late, they're still nothing that impressive. TR was given a massive upgrade that I welcomed, although their presence lacks cohesion. I don't see it changing any time soon, at least not until the next saga begins. I almost want it to be worse than Kanto because I consider the violation of continuity worse than just being an annoyance, but I had to give credit where it is due.
    Duque, Aura7541, Caseydia and 1 others like this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Kanto (OS) - 8

It was the beginning of everything. It introduced our Pokémon Trainer Ash, a so called "Water Trainer" Misty, Breeder Brock and Team Rocket agents Jessie, James and Meowth. It had some great humor in it.

Orange Islands (OS) - 7

This arc was quite unique to me because it was completely new. Although I couldn't stand the whole thing with "MISTY LIEKS ASH" etc., we had some great moments and accomplishments.

Johto (OS) - 3

Words can't even discribe how horrible this arc was. The only things I can see that I actually liked were Ash's Noctowl, Ash's Cyndaquil, Ash's Heracross and Misty's Politoed.

Hoenn (Advanced) - 8,5

Now this is more like it! Misty is gone now (not that I hate her, but she was useless in Johto) and we have Coordinator May and Little Brother and not yet ready to be a trainer Max. I'm also glad the TRio stayed and Brock ofcourse.

This arc also had some great moments, like Jessie catching Seviper and the Male VS. Female episode.

Kanto Battle Frontier (Advanced) - 7,5

This arc isn't terrible but it isn't great either. While it was certainly cool to be back in Kanto again, they didn't do really much with it. Like what in the name of Lt. Surge's war have the Gym Leader's been doing by now?

What I did enjoy though, was the return of Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard...for atleast a while.

Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl) - 9,0

Although I was really depressed Brock was pretty much in the background in this saga, it was a really great arc. Paul is probably the coolest rival we've had yet and they made a nice little sub plot around it with Chimchar. We also got Dawn, a new coordinator and her little Pikachu Piplup and Brock's Croagunk which is certainly a welcome addition.

Overal, I really enjoyed this series.

Unova (Best Wishes!) - 8

This series felt really fresh. They gave us Connoisour Cilan and Dragon Master in Training Iris. TRio are robots now apparently, but it's nice they aren't completely gone.

I can't rate Best Wishes! Season 2 yet.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duque View Post
    Johto - Johto is infamous for be the most fillerish arc of all, but, some of these were great (Temako episode, most of Iwane animated episodes, like smoochum's and the radio tower). It consolidated the gym battles' format as a whole thereafter. I have problems to find the gym battles exciting here, except for Falkner's and Pryce's. In general, it was good to see Misty's and Brock's pokemon (who aren't named "onix", "geodude", "staryu" and "goldeen") get some focus, but, battle wise, Ash's Johto team was underdeveloped (espeon would have been a better addition, even though I liked phanpy's performance).

See about the REAL Team Rocket's operations as a crime society was good in the red gyarados episodes, the Johto league was well played and Ash, Misty and Brock farewell was the most tearful than all the others: FACT. In geral, a regular arc.

Grade: 7,0
    Yeah i agree. Johto is often underrated because of "fillers" but many episodes were highly enjoyable and fun to watch delivering some great development for Misty, Brock or fun in general(like "Little Big Horn", For Crying Out Loud", "Some Like it Hot", "Teddiursa Secret", "Forrest Grumps" , "Imposter Oak", "Hocus Pokemon"(only time Ash was turned in pokemon)etc).

In my opinion main cast dynamic was one of Johto highlights, but their characterization alone wasn't enough to cover up and mask flaws writers did there. But since this was writers first longer region not knowing how to handle and write for longer sagas, i can cut them some slack. I imagine abandon of GS ball messed up their initial plans and conception too, having blockade for awhile after that.
    One of things i liked though was interaction and chemistry between Ash,Misty and Brock in Johto still feeling like long time known friends, with departure being very emotional.
    Granted Misty calmed down abit but in good manner still teasing Ash on frequent basis,being cynical and spunky as well more supportive appreciating Ash and Brock friendship much more(she even said how they are like her new family). There were many other traits showed being lively,romantic character having flare in her .Personally i like rather believable way she developed becoming more level headed by end of her run, getting over complex of feeling less worthy compared to sisters helping others like Sakura to deal with same issue in later half of Johto and coming out as more independent while remaining quirky.

Though admittedly it wasn't until Master Quest and Whirl islands that you could get feeling how her story is going somewhere.
    I noticed Ash became slightly more mature there too, not being impulsive and reckless as much as he used to be in Kanto.

Houenn/Battle Frontier - The first arc where Ash's regional team was a must (I can't understand until now why he couldn't have a sixth 3rd gen pokemon, though), specially for the flying type been a top battler. Some awesome gym battles/frontier brain (DEM by the most part, but, it's not a problem to me :3) and... enter May. I remember some people had problems with her, by the time she replaced Misty, but, May earned her own place and the contests added something new to the show. See Ash in a mentor role, mature but still with some of his quirks was great and the reason because AG Ash is still one of his best versions. Brock was there being... Brock. I can't remember to see good AG episodes about him except the sharpedo one and the ones during the BF. And Max...sincerly, I can't see a good thing about a brat who aims to be a trainer, when we know time is a taboo in the show, so, Max will wait for his chance as much as Ash will aim to be a Pokemon Master. overall, AG was an enjoyable saga.

Grade: 8,2
    Talking about AG i actually liked this series quite abit with AG quartet having many endearing moments, contests added something new on table and i liked rivals, storyline and many throwbacks to past AG series had.

One of things i welcomed about AG was distribution of pokemon starters among all main characters(minus Max for understandable reasons), being nice change as opposiote to Ash usually getting all starters. Granted Brock Mudkip could have been handled better but it still had some great moments, and i liked Marshtamp being one of better pokemon he had.

One of Hoenn highlights were definitely May rivals. From overconfident and arrogant Drew to feminine and envy Harley which was bastard(but lovable one) playing important role in May growth as character leaving influence on her. Writers did good job putting a lot of thought and effort into contest arc despite not being so detailed and fleshed out like Dawn's .
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 28th July 2012 at 11:03 AM.

Kanto- 1

Not my best or favorite saga. Unlike most others, I was more into Digimon and it's first season than Pokemon mostly because of the characters. I liked the Pokemon and some episodes, but I never enjoyed the pity badges and Ash's unneccessary stupidity at times. Misty attitude was not a selling point for me neither was Brock's eyes closed and Kiba's voice.

Orange Islands - 7

The gyms were different which was nice. It was shorter but the fillers were still pretty bad. I liked that Charizard finally listened and that Tracey was there. I however didn't like that everyone was sitting on a Labras and that Misty was doing less since this was mostly a water based region.

Johto- 8

What can I say? I love the Pokemon better. They were cute and I liked that the gym battles were all done nicely. However, the fillers of Kanto Pokemon could have been reduced and Brock could have been given something more to do. If not then they could have kept Tracey. Forget the racist viewers and what they thought.

Advanced Generation- 9

One of my favorite saga's. Things started from scratch. No old Pokemon. New girl, another new boy, and new Pokemon which were also cute. I loved the gymleaders and I loved that May have her own quest and rivals. I however would have liked it if Team Aqua and Magma was more efficient in the series.

Battle Frontier- 10

I loved this saga. The battles were badass and I adored the Brain leaders. May's contests were more better in appeals and Harley was more present.

Diamond and Pearl- 10

Another win for me. Great writing, Pokemon and characters. I loved Ash's rivals, not so much Dawn's but Ursula made it for me. I loved the gymleaders and how hard they were from the previous and I loved that they showed all of the Elite Four members and champion for a change.

Best Wishes- 6

What happened to the writers? The series was getting better and better and then a big drop down from what it was. Not only do we have gymleader companions again, but neither of them had anything to do themselves. They dumbed down Ash and they made his rivals beginners. They created the Don battles at first for Ash, then his friends and his rivals become one with them. Hee is not winning any of them and with him not being a league winner makes me feel bad for the kid.

Best Wishes 2 - 2

Again, what happened? I was thinking things were going well, then Dawn came and then and big down soar came for me. I was really getting into the competition but then Iris's game status got in the way of me enjoying the show.

Sorry for the rants. I had to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 10th October 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Trophies

KANTO SERIES- 8

Being the first series I watched, this series delivered some of ashs greatest moments in this generation. Some of the pokemon he caught in this arc are still mentioned in the present and are also the most memorable pokemon he has caught. Reading the above post, the pity badges were rubbish, the cascade badge episode is still one of the worst episodes ive seen.

ORANGE ISLANDS- 4
    The only good thing about this series was the differently coloured pokemon. Apart from that the gym battles weren't even proper and I was sick and tired of seeing a blimp by the end of the series. Tracey was a good partner but a little boring.

Johto- 6
    Ive forgotten most of the series, I am currently re-watching it. From what ive seen and what I renember its a good series, with some good gym battles. They are also some great recurrring characters such as casey and ash catches a shiny which I loved. The latest episode I watched was him saying bye to charizard, which is a great episode but I dont like charizard leaving, may feel that somethign is missing when watching the next episodes. Im also sad that nothing happened with the GS ball, thats a waste of about 30 episodes.

Hoenn series (AG)- 7
    Loved the series but just comes under kanto. Although it was sad misty left, May and Max were great replacements. It was interesting that someone was travelling with Ash who didnt own a pokemon. Hoenn pokemon are my favourites so thats what made the series good for me. I found characters like Harley a bit weird.

Diamond&Pearl- N/a
    Still to watch it

Best Wishes-5
    Although recent episodes show improvement, it seems like a complete new show. There is no relation between any previous regions or pokemon, everything is new and I dont like it that much. I miss brock and cilan can annoy me a bit. Recent episodes have started to intruige me a bit. With the return of both old characters and pokemon, I am considering changing my view of this series, but only 7 episodes have shown their worthiness, Im going to have to wait to see the rest.
    Last edited by mwetwe; 28th July 2012 at 12:38 PM.
    R&T likes this.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast