Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Workshop Upgraded

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default The Workshop Upgraded

Attention all of the Workshop!

This is a rather big and important announcement, so make sure you read this:

As part of the realignment of the forum, the Writer's Workshop will be receiving a big upgrade. It will be separated from the Creative Corner and will become its own top tiered forum. This will involve The Writer's Block becoming its own forum rather than a sub-forum and will include discussion about reading and books as well, and we will be merged with the Roleplaying Games section. I will remain Forum Head of all three sections.

This is an exciting time and there has been much debate and discussion to get this merger to work smoothly and be in everyone's best interest, so it is hopeful that all will go well. Unfortunately, currently the Author's Atlas will be disbanded: it was decided that there was not enough traffic to this area nor enough people actually making use of this section to make it a justifiable part of the Workshop. I would like to hear the feedback of you all about this and see what you think. There are alternatives so it is not as though you would lose your content forever or the opportunity to display this information to everyone, but it has been decided there is not enough to justify an entire subforum. I am sorry to anyone that does actively use this section, and I would have preferred the opportunity to reboot this as well, but frankly, there are some failed projects and games that simply cannot be undone.

I am hope you are all excited to see the other changes, I am sorry that we are losing the Atlas but hopefully the other changes to the Workshop will be received well and I will do my best to find an appropriate alternative to the people that want to have something like that remain.

ETA: there was a miscommunication regarding the deputy head.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 6th June 2013 at 08:41 PM.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

With Lady Rainicorn too! Miss Mew's Avatar

Default Re: The Workshop Upgraded

Mmm. Is this coming with the update they are talking about? Either way, sounds exciting!

Somebody please check out my RP!!! Claimer of moody and present!

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

I'm making kind of a deductive leap here, but, if the Workshop does get merged with the RP section, does that mean that there will be seasonal RP awards, like there is for the Writers' Workshop currently? I think there used to be RP awards (or, rather, there was one awards season, then it stopped), and I liked the idea. I'd be in favour of it returning...
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

@Eeveewithwings123: Yes, it is part of the big forum wide reshuffle.

@That Guy: That would be up to the RP Moderators to decide. Our Awards would probably remain separate though nonetheless.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What? No more Atlas? :(

Can't we post the companion threads in the new Block? If it's not getting enough traffic, then it won't a big issue there, right?

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    What? No more Atlas? :(

Can't we post the companion threads in the new Block? If it's not getting enough traffic, then it won't a big issue there, right?
    Well it actually is getting a fair bit of activity. The current idea is to just put it in the OP of your fic. Or you can pull a page out of Ace's book and use a blog. But no the companion threads for world/fics are not going to be going in the new Block, there will be more to go in there.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Although I am sad to see the Atlas go, I do like the blog idea to put all our notes in
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 6th June 2013 at 09:12 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
    Well it actually is getting a fair bit of activity.
    - He means the Writer's Block, just specifying. And as there does not seem a place for the Atlas, I do think going for a blog would be the best course of action: that way, it does not take up space in your OP and you could have more direct comments from people than you had before or would have if it was just in spoilered away in your OP. I was dismayed at the thought of it being removed as well initially, but I would not stand back and let it happen if I did not think there were a number of alternate options, many of which would be the same as just having an Atlas thread but without the need of an entire forum. Just make sure you have all your information saved and there will be a number of suggestions and options around once the change does happen.
    Last edited by AceTrainer14; 6th June 2013 at 07:48 PM.
    NoirGrimoir likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

Well, I dunno how valid my opinion is on the matter (seeing as how I haven't even actually posted a story here, so I've never really used the Atlas), but I think that while it would be a rather big change for the people who do make use of it, the blog idea's a sound enough alternative. I personally think I would've preferred the Atlas, but I do see your point that it's not getting the activity it should be getting if it were to really serve its purpose. Using a blog sounds fine - better than posting it in the OP, at least.
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Blog Entries

Well it actually is getting a fair bit of activity. The current idea is to just put it in the OP of your fic. Or you can pull a page out of Ace's book and use a blog. But no the companion threads for world/fics are not going to be going in the new Block, there will be more to go in there.
    Considering my current two atlas threads will be too long to put in the first post, I'll just have to go back to the blogs, where I haven't been since the Atlas opened. If anyone needs me, I'll be in my gloomy corner being overly emotional.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

If more people did use the Atlas, then of course it would have stayed. However, it was something that was not getting enough people actually posting in it or viewing it. Only six threads were created there this year and only an additional seven were updated from previous years, and thirteen threads is not enough to keep this area open. I am sorry this is happening, and believe me when I say that if there were not alternative options I would have continued fighting for this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    Well it actually is getting a fair bit of activity.
    - He means the Writer's Block, just specifying.
    Whops, yes that was the one I meant, it was confusing at first but yeah the Atlas gets virtually no activity. But yeah blogs are probably the best bet, like I said go steal Ace's format :P

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Blog Entries

Well, better prepare my thieving tools...

*puts on bad imitation of Catwoman suit*

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I'm also sad to see the Atlas go (I was going to use it soon myself), but I guess it's for the best. :(

But this upgrade still sounds great! I hope it goes well. :D

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to admit, I'm sad about seeing the Atlas go away, but a good alternative, as it had already been said, is using blogs for information of one's fics. Well, we have to at least expect a massive surge of blogs in the near future then XD
    AceTrainer14 likes this.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast