Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Our World

Lost Time Memory Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Default Welcome to Our World

So here I am with another fic idea, this one's a bit different from usual. This fics takes place in the real world, a different take of the real world too. It takes place in a world where the games and anime and card games were never created however Pokemon still exist, though in another world of their own but they're able to come and go from their world to ours, their presence however is a secret to most of the world.

The fic will be mature for profanity and violence and some dark themes at times.

Also the fic takes place in a fictional city I won't give the location on what country is located in.

@Gastly's Mama; @Instrutilus; @Tsutarja

Index

Entry Number 1 (Right below)
    Entry Number 2
    Entry Number 3
    Entry Number 4
    Entry Number 5
    Entry Number 6

Welcome To Our World

Entry Number 1: “We know who you are…”

Have you ever wondered why life is so important, I mean what do people do with their lives, they either do nothing their whole lives or always screw up by doing something bad? I don’t want to sound conceited but I for one don’t care I mean, the world in itself is coming to an end because of human’s stupidity wars, economical problems, political crap and the like, they’re all just things that are useless.

Rain was pouring down as hard as can be, the sound of it crashing against the buildings making a lot of noise combined with all the cars that tried to drive through the wet streets. People were running with all their might, trying to get away from the hard rain as they splashed water all over the street.

Under a bus station a boy was looking at all the people running by with an amusing look on his face. His black hair was completely wet and hitting his face and his red jacket as well as his black button shirt seemed to have gotten even wetter, he had a pair of violet colored eyes which looked at all the people with great interest. The bus stop was a safe place and he thought so to, since it was covered by a large metallic roof that guarded him from the water it was way easier than running.

“They’re just not thinking straight, the only thing in their minds is how they can get away from the water,” he chuckled as he looked at a woman running by with her little daughter, the girl who in turn seemed to have a desperate a tired look on her face; probably because she couldn’t keep up with her mother’s running.

“Three, two, one,” he counted down and sure enough the little girl tripped on the wet street and fell to the ground. Her mother turned around, her face becoming pale as she grabbed her daughter. They were lucky since the cars managed to stop before hitting the girl. “Weird, they actually managed to stop in time, usually they tend to think it for a while before deciding what to do,” the teenager shrugged as he saw the mother and daughter get inside a cab.

As he said this his bus stopped, opening the doors so that he could get on. “Finally,” He grinned as he ran to the entrance and got on the bus.

The rain had finally settled down and people were beginning to put their umbrellas away. The teenager grinned as he looked around, he was walking through a bridge that crossed over a river, which had been fueled by all the water from the rain and was now running harder than ever. “Seems like the rain really did a number on this,” he replied as he looked down at the water.

Something caught his eye though, the riverbank divided two grass fields and on the right side of the field there was something shining with the light from the sun. “Wonder what it is?” he didn’t know what was making him do this but he ended up walking over to the grass field to look for what it was. “Maybe it’ll be worth my while.”

Once he got down he finally got a look at what it was. It was a ball-like object with a button in the middle of it with red coloring on the top and white on the bottom. He knelt down and swiftly grabbed the ball, letting his hand inspect it every way as he moved it around his fingers. “Seems metallic,” he raised it up allowing the light of the sun to give him a better view.

“It couldn’t be a ball, but I don’t remember seeing anything like this before,” he felt weird as he looked down at the ball, kind of like he had seen it before somewhere but he didn’t know. His mind was filled with interest and curiosity as he got up from the grass and began walking up from the grass field.

“I guess I’ll just take it home and see what I can do,” he grinned a new found interest was making him eager to discover the truth and in turn is what fueled him to run as fast as he could towards his house.

His body was practically moving by itself with eagerness and anxiety being the only things that moved him. The teenager ran inside his apartment complex and proceeded to walk up the stairs towards his own apartment, opening the door and rushing inside.

“Edward, where have you been?” the teenager known as Edward stopped right in the middle of the kitchen/living room, he turned to look at his mother who like him had a pair of violet eyes, her skin was a little bit darker though and her hair was long and brown compared to her son’s black. “It was raining really hard till a couple of minutes ago.” She said a worried tone in her voice.

“Yeah, call me when dinner’s done I’ll be in my room,” Edward replied, practically ignoring his mother as he ran inside his room, closed the door and then threw his backpack into his bed. “Now let’s find what you are,” Edward searched through his pockets, taking out the ball and putting it on the desk. He turned around and grabbed a chair nearby as he turned the computer. He knew nothing about the ball but someone in the Internet should.

Edward took out the keyboard of the computer and began typing while looking at the ball. However he forgot something very important as he typed. “I don’t know what this thing’s called,” Edward frowned before putting his head on the table. He raised it once more and began typing again. It was true that he didn’t know what the object was called but he could always search a chat room where there was bound to be someone that knew about this thing.

He must’ve spent at least two hours looking through different chatrooms and talking to different people; but to no avail, he looked back at the ball with a look of desperation. Could it really be such a mysterious thing that no one even knew about it.

“You’re beginning to annoy me you little pest,” Edward frowned as he stretched his hand to grab the ball. “I’m going to have to do this myself but if you annoy me any longer I’m smashing you with a hammer,” he groaned and started inspecting the ball yet again, looking for a way to open it.

And then he hit himself in the face, right there in front of him was the key to opening the ball. His eyes shifted to the button that was in the middle of the two sides. “Can I be any stupider,” he groaned before stretching his hand out.

However, before he pressed it a million things went through his mind. What if the ball was empty inside, or what if it broke as soon as he opened, in fact what if it didn’t open how would that leave Edward. He managed to put the fear in the back of his head as he stretched his finger to press the button.

And then a beep came from the computer, getting Edward to turn around and forget about the ball. “I’ve got mail,” he raised an eyebrow, it’s not that he never got mail but it was usually someone that just wanted to ask something about school work. Not just that but as he looked at the sender he realized that he didn’t know the person. “Who the hell’s Spacer?”

He grabbed a hold of the mouse and clicked on the email opening it up.

”Why hello there Edward, I assume you’ve been looking for some answers about the ball you found aren’t you?”

Edward raised an eyebrow as he looked at the message; he began thinking carefully about what to do. First of all who was this guy and how did he know about the ball. “Who the hell are you, and what are you talking about?” he spoke as he typed, managing to send the message.

After a few minutes the computer beeped again, making Edward jump on his seat and open the email. “Oh come on Edward, you know what I’m talking about, the ball or rather pokéball as we call it, as for who I am, well that would be getting too personal….”

Edward groaned but was willing to comply. Part of him was telling him to stop the conversation and forget about this guy, that it was too dangerous and that he would only get himself in ever deeper trouble, the other part however told him to keep going and to satisfy his curiosity about the “pokéball”. Edward finally turned to the keyboard and began typing again. “So what is this pokéball, and how do you know I picked it up and who I am?”

“That’s personal as well hehe….” Edward groaned as he read this, what wasn’t personal with this guy was he even willing to give him the answers. ”As for what a pokéball is, well as you probably found out it’s a very great artifact with great power, well in itself the pokéball doesn’t have any power but what it’s inside does.”

“You said ‘we’ when you mentioned the name pokéball, who were you talking about?” Edward asked as he typed, sending the message yet again.

“I’m talking about people just like you and me people that have been chosen to wield a pokéball and pass judgment on this world, people that are tired of seeing how the world keep getting worse and making even more mistakes,” Edward groaned with a hint of annoyance, what the hell was this guy talking about ‘chosen’ why would someone like him who doesn’t care about anything be chosen for…well anything.

“Listen to me ‘Spacer’ I don’t know who the hell you are but if you don’t start talking sense I’m not only stopping the conversation I’ll call the police on your ass!” he exclaimed, his voice becoming rougher as his patience decreased by the second. The reply came almost immediately, making Edward jump once more at the speed.

“Now we both know that you wouldn’t do that Edward, after all it’s of your best interest to know this and you yourself wouldn’t be able to let this go now would you after all you’re the kind of guy that spends his time trying to find solutions to stuff that most people would pay no mind, and if you don’t find them then you just keep looking,” Edward didn’t do anything as he processed what it said, the bastard was right about that if he didn’t get the answers he wouldn’t stop himself from looking for them until the day he died.

Then a second email came just as Edward finished reading the first message. “We’ll have a gathering today in the China Sector at 9:30 p.m., it’ll be easier for you to find everything you want if you go there rather than staying here and spending hours swapping messages don’t you think? Anyway I hope you come because I know you’ll like it. See you later Edward.”

And with that the contact known as Spacer vanished from Edward’s computer, causing him to clench his fist in anger and frustration. Edward leaned back on the chair as he looked at the pokéball; how something so meaningless and strange could become so much of a nuisance to him was beyond his mind. “Well, no use thinking about it, guess I’ll just have to go,” he grabbed the pokéball and pocketed inside his red jacket.

After he ate dinner with his parents Edward finished getting ready and proceeded to walk out of his room, he was convinced about going to this meeting that Spacer had mentioned as long as he could satisfy his craving for the truth. “Where are you going Edward?” Edward turned to look at his father who was sitting in the couch of the living room watching TV. His father like Edward had black hair, except his hair was straighter than his son’s and he also had the same skin as Edward, unlike Edward though his father had a much better physique.

“I’m going to a friend’s house, he said he needed some help with his homework,” Edward lied, hoping his father wouldn’t see through it and tell him to explain.

“Come back at 11 or you’re grounded you hear,” his dad nodded as he looked down at the floor. Edward smiled and did a salute before walking off. Edward’s father used to be in the navy when he was young and as thus Edward picked up the habit of saluting his father whenever he understood an order. Edward ran down and outside of the apartment complex; he knew that his father had seen through his lie but he was willing to pretend he had succeeded in fooling the man.

After grabbing a cab Edward finally headed to China Sector. He looked through his wallet making sure he had enough money to go and to come back, especially considering that China Sector was on the other side of the city. “This thing better be worth the cash,” he groaned as he looked out the window, his hand inside his pocket and clenching the pokéballs with anticipation.

After forty minutes of traveling the cab stopped in front of a large gate, above the gate was the name China Sector written in chinese with a golden dragon over the sign. Edward got off from the cab as he looked at the stone steps that led to the top of the hill.

“Hope you have fun and be careful,” the driver grinned as Edward paid him the traveling fee.

“Yeah, you can go now you money grubbing thief,” Edward groaned as he saw the taxi leave; he was beginning to feel sorry, especially since he barely had enough money for the ride back. He turned to the gate and began climbing through the stone steps, a filling of fulfillment and anxiety washing over him as he walked.

He looked up in amazement, noticing that there was a light at the top, a light that became stronger and closer the more Edward walked. That wasn’t the only thing that increased though, noise was also becoming louder, the noise of people talking and arguing as if there was some kind of reunion of sorts. “Just what is going on?” Edward asked himself as he reached the top.

Edward gasped, there was a large circle in the middle of the street with torches all around it, but what surprised Edward the most was that about thirty or so people where gathered around the circle, talking amongst themselves and the like. He turned to look at the houses and shops; noticing that they were all closed and the lights were off. “What is this?” Edward asked himself as he saw a girl pass by him, she had long black hair that was done in a ponytail, her skin was tanned and she was wearing a figure hugging black top that made her large bust practically jump out; she also wore a pair of jean-like shorts and a pair of black shoes.

While Edward had been enticed by the girl something else took him over, he looked at the girl’s belt realizing she had not one but four pokéballs strapped to it. “Four of them, how?” he looked around at all the people that were gathered, noticing that everyone had at least one pokéball on them and that they were all acting as if this was some kind of normal occurrence.

“You look pale dude,” Edward threw his arm back as he felt a hand touch his shoulder, however the person that was behind him was fast enough and managed to dodge the strike. “Wow, you don’t look like you had nice reflexes, be careful who you try to hit though,” Edward looked at the person that was behind him, he had long spiky blond hair which stuck out to his forehead, a pair of blue eyes and a skin just like Edward’s. He was wearing a black long sleeved button jacket with the neck raised up along with a pair of black pants to match.

“Who the hell are you?” Edward looked down at the teenager’s belt, noticing that he had three pokéballs strapped to it.

“Oh so you really are a rookie,” the teenager grinned, noticing Edward’s amazement at the three pokéballs. “Bet you haven’t even opened your pokéball so you don’t’ know what Pokémon is inside,” he laughed making Edward feel underestimated, even if it was true part of him wanted to lie to the guy; but he knew he wouldn’t get answers.

Then a word he said made Edward snap back. “Pokémon?” he raised an eyebrow.

“I figured you didn’t know,” the man shook his head as he looked around at the crowd. “Pokémon, short for Pocket Monsters, they’re creatures with great powers and abilities and they’re the type of creatures that come inside of the pokéballs,” he began explaining while raising his index finger. “Pocket Monsters aren’t new though they’ve been coming and going through this world and their own for centuries you might even say that it’s been even longer.”

“Wait, what?” Edward moved back a little, confusion popping into his mind. “Creatures from another world, coming and going for centuries, I think you guys are reading way too much comic books and how do you even know all this stuff?”

“He told us of course, Pokémon have chosen us as their masters so that we can change the world into what we want,” he nodded his head while looking at all the people that where gathering around the circle. “I know what you’re thinking, how could all this be true? If Pokémon have really been appearing for centuries then how come the government hasn’t found out, but think about it it’s the same as if they were aliens aren’t they, they do know they just don’t want to tell anyone since they’re not sure.” He shrugged making Edward scratched his chin.

He did have a point, a big thing about governments was that they tended to keep things secret, and to keep something that, according to this guy, has been appearing for centuries then all the countries in the world must know about this. “This is too complicated to follow!” Edward exclaimed, his head was beginning to turn into paste from all of this information that he could barely even believe. “And who is ‘he’?”

“Spacer of course, he’s the guy that’s told us all about this, the one that started all of this,” the teenager replied, making Edward turn around. Spacer, he had called him over to the China Sector yet he didn’t seem to even be there; and even if he was he must’ve been Edward’s age since there weren’t any adults. “He’s not here in case you’re wondering, no one really knows what he looks like aside from a select few.”

“So you’re saying that these things called Pokémon, they’re appearing all over the world?” Edward turned back to look at the teenager.

“Yeah, and there are more Trainers like us all around the world,” he shrugged once again. “Trainers is the name we’ve taken since we train Pokémon.” He then looked over at the circle noticing a lot of noise was coming from there. “If you wanna see Pokémon then this is a good a chance as any, a battle is about to start,” he patted Edward’s shoulder once more. “My name is Harris by the way, you’ve got a name?”

“Edward, Edward Taylor,” Edward replied before he began to run towards the circle, trying to shove people out of the way so that he could see well.

Once he reached the front Edward gasped at what he saw. The girl from earlier was facing off against a guy that seemed to be around eighteen years old, he seemed to be a Chinese descendant and had long black hair that was combed the same way as Edwards. He was wearing a black jacket with red lines running down the sleeves as well as a white t-shirt under it and a pair of blue jeans. “We finally meet in the battlefield again don’t we Ramona,” he grinned as he looked at the girl who just kept glaring at him.

Edward paid no mind to them, but to the creatures that were below them. On Ramona’s side was a pink colored ermine with purple lining on its legs and arms, its arms were long and you could barely see the hands, it had a pair of red eyes as well as golden colored whiskers and a long tail. “What is that thing?” Edward asked as he looked at the other side. On the side of Ramona’s opponent was a tadpole like Pokémon, it was large and muscular and its skin was blue colored. It had swirls of black and white on its stomach, it also had a deadly glare in its eyes. “And that thing too?” Edward pointed out before seeing Harris coming from behind him.

“That’s a Poliwrath, and the pink thingy is a Mieanshao,” he explained, making Edward look up at them. “They’re both really strong Pokémon, especially considering who their Trainers are,” he scratched his chin while grinning, from what Edward gathered Harris seemed to be one of those guys that would always know something about everything; which worked well for him no matter how he looked at it. “So who do you think can win?”

“What? I’m new and I don’t even know what the hell is going on!?” Edward exclaimed, he still had his doubts about what to make out from everything he had been told so far.

“Doesn’t matter, you must’ve gotten a pretty good guess by now,” Harris nodded his head while grinning; as if he was expecting something amazing from Edward. “Come on Eddie, tell me.”

“I think the ermine thing might win,” Edward replied.

“How come, it’s so small and weak compared to Poliwrath?” Harris asked curiously while looking down at Edward.

“True, but that isn’t all of it, that Mienshao as you called it, look at its expression as well as it’s Trainer’s, it’s obvious that it’s been trained not only on combat but it’s got its own strategic ability and from the look of its leg it has a lot of speed,” he pointed out, pointing towards the Mienshao before he proceeded to look at the Poliwrath. “That Pocket Monster does look strong indeed, and it seems to have a lot of combat experience, but that’s about it, from the way it’s bulked up is obvious that it has little to no speed or defense, if all the guy picked the wrong Pocket Monster for the job.”

“That seems like a really detailed explanation to me,” Harris grinned, he knew that Edward had a lot of sense in him, the fact that he had managed to point out so much in just a couple of seconds; especially considering the two Pokémon in question were both trained quiet well. “Why do you call them Pocket Monsters though.”

“I don’t like abbreviations to name, seems like something that someone would do just to avoid work,” Edward shrugged while looking at the battle. Harris just chuckled softly before looking at Ramona and her opponent.

“That Chinese guy is Shun by the way, he’s one of the Six Horsemen a group of Trainers that serve under Spacer himself, it’s said that they have even seen his face,” Harris explained, making Edward find a new found interest in this guy Shun, if he did know Spacer then maybe it was worth talking to him after all.

“Mienshao go for a frontal assault and use Low Sweep,” the Mineshao nodded before jumping onto the ground and beginning to run towards the Poliwrath.

“Hit it with Bubble Beam,” Shun commanded, ready to counter attack as his Poliwrath push itself back and started firing a barrage of blue colored bubbles. Mienshao didn’t waste time though, it swiftly and gracefully moved around the bubbles, not even letting them grace its fur as it turned around and hit Poliwrath’s Ankle with its tail. “What!?” Shun gasped at Mienshao’s strength who managed to throw the Poliwrath up into the air. “Use Dig once you fall down!” Poliwrath nodded its head before sticking its hand out. Before its body was even done falling it started digging its way into the ground, surprising Edward.

“How are they even able to do all that, firing bubbles, digging into the ground that fast and that speed, it isn’t even possible,” Edward’s mouth was hanging open, not even in his wildest dreams he had thought something as crazy as this could actually be happening, and right in front of him too.

Then much to Ramona’s dismay Poliwrath came out of the ground, its arms wrapping themselves around Mienshao and proceeding to strangle it from the waist up. “Submission will always work on my side,” Shun grinned.

The Poliwrath seemed to increase the strength of its hold by the second, though for some reason Ramona kept a calm face, as if she was waiting for the right moment. “You got me easily Shun, but you should always have a counter, Mienshao use Reversal!” Mienshao’s eyes glowed before it roared throwing its body forward and Poliwrath along with it. The blue tadpole was slammed against the ground as hard as can be, the strike being enough to make it let go of Mienshao.

“Now, I want to end this early, Meanshao use Acrobatics!” Mienshao roared once more before jumping into the air, it spun around in the air as it opened its legs and skydived down on Poliwrath’s stomach, causing the Pokémon to scream in pain as its body was pushed even further into the ground. “I think that’s my win,” Ramona grinned, amused at Shun’s sudden change of demeaner, since he was know trying to hide his rage as he returned his Poliwrath.

Edward just stared at Ramona, surprised that he had been right about his guess but even more about how strong and agile her Pokémon was. He kept staring even after Ramona had been covered by all the people that wanted to talk to her about her victory. “So, what do you think, wanna give it a try?” Edward looked up at Harris who was still grinning as he pointed at the pokéball.

“I might try it,” Edward turned around and began walking towards the steps, it had gotten late and he didn’t want to miss curfew.

“If you’re really interested then meet me at Sunny’s Ice Cream tomorrow you should know where it is,” Harris replied as he watched Edward leave. He turned around and began to walk through a different path; hiding himself behind a building as he took out a cell phone and began calling.

“So what did you think of him?” came the voice of Spacer, though he sounded amused and eager to her what Harris thought.

“The kid has talent, he might not be good enough when he starts battling but he definitely has the will and the skill in there,” Harris nodded his head while leaning his head back against the wall. “So yeah, you found a good one boss,”

“Good, I trust you to keep an eye on him and help him grow the way I want him to, after all we wouldn’t want a talent like his to go to waste,”

“Don’t worry about it, but remember I don’t come cheap, even if I’m interested in the kid,” Harris replied once more as silence ensued.

“Harris come on, as one of my Six Horsemen you know I pay well, I promise I’ll pay for any inconvenience.”

“All right then, pleasure talking to you, I’ll keep you updated,” with that Harris hung up the phone and pocketed it inside his pants. “Edward Taylor huh, I wonder how you will surprise me next,” he grinned before he turned around and started walking back towards the crowd.

In The Next Entry: Edward will have to make a choice whether he’s in our out of the Pokémon business as well as having the courage to open the pokéball, however he will also find out that joining this world doesn’t come cheap and it may actually cost him his life.

I hoped you liked the story, I understand if it could've been a little overwhelming or if I didn't explain enough but I wanted to save some stuff for later.
    Last edited by Flaze; 14th September 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Default Re: Welcome to Our World

Interesting concept, I gotta admit.

The plot has potential and the whole "trainers are chosen people who are meant to change the world" also kinda makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is how come the government or other authorities haven't uncovered them? Surely with such amount of many trainers and Pokémon, someone must have at least had some suspicions. <_<

I also think this would be more fun if Pokémon was known world-wide in your story, but whatever. It has a lot of potential so let's see where do you go with this story from now on. Keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Well like Harris explained it's not that the government hasn't found out about Pokemon it's that they haven't discovered the truth and classify them as aliens therefore keeping it a secret for the world, as to how they don't know about trainers, well think psichic Pokemon and what you could do with their powers if you want to stop someone from remembering you, I'll just leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again, interesting concept. I await to see how the plot thickens =3

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to say that this is a very interesting concept. I won't go so far as to say that it hasn't been done before (I'm pretty sure it has), but that doesn't make it any less interesting. The writing is very good overall, and I'm looking forward to watching the story develop.

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's hard finding high quality writing. This is really good and I can't wait to see where you decide to go with it. I coulda swore there was a story with this concept on Fanfiction.net. Put me on the subscription list thing. or is that something I'm supposed to do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Yay busting my brains out finally worked :) and I'm actually more surprised at the fact that switching genres actually worked for me since I don't tend to do dark stories.

Yeah this type of story hasn't been done before, actually around two years ago I did a story just like this one, except it was way more light hearted and less complex than it is now and the characters weren't as thought out.

Anyway I'm glad you guys liked this and I'll get working on the second chapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with all that has been said here. I'm pretty sure I've seen this done on FF.net as well, but obviously, it's new here, so that's awesome!

Really interesting start!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Chapter 2 my worst enemy next to cliffhangers, I hope this chapter is good enough since I seem to have a problem with second chapters.

Anyway this time we'll finally get to see some real action, sort of and a better look at what Edward's real personality is.

Oh and before I start this is something I want to explain each chapter is referred to as entry and each title is a quote that refers to what most of the chapter is about, at the beginning of each entry there'll be a paragraph in first person, which is Edward's perspective, depending on the chapter he will either talk about his thoughts at the time of give a summary of previous events, either way there'll be a spoiler hidden inside each paragraph though if you can find the spoiler depends on how much you pay attention or if you even read both the quote and the paragraph.

@Instrutilus; @Tsutarja; @Cabaret; @Legacy; @AetherX

Entry Number 2: “What will you choose now?”

I was completely taken aback by this new revelation, Pokémon, pokéballs a whole other world and Trainers who use Pokémon for fighting, it all sounded like a crazy plot taken out from a comic book or manga. Easy to say I was ripped in two, if I chose to accept this and join them my life would surely get chaotic and I would get in a lot of trouble but if I didn’t what would happen. A person lives his life without thinking what might happen, one second you might be sitting in the park and the next your life might run the risk of being cut in half.

The next morning Edward woke up after sleeping barely five minutes throughout the whole night, his mind was wandering, thinking about the events of last night and about what Harris had told him. He was chosen to judge humanity with the power of Pokémon, but how much of that was true and were these guys even good people, no, that was the least of his worries at the time. Edward begrudgingly lifted himself from the bed; wanting to spend more time thinking or at least to get some more sleep.

If the world you knew suddenly changed in the blink of an eye what would you do, if everything you thought was possible changed dramatically would you jump on the van wagon to see the limit or would you keep living like you used to. These and many other questions filled Edward’s mind as he changed. He looked into the closet, he had to get rid of his favorite red jacket and give it to his mom so that she could wash it meaning he had to pick something else.

“This could work,” Gabriel grabbed a formal button black dress shirt; He took off his blue pajama shirt before turning to the mirror. Edward wasn’t exactly fit but he wasn’t thin either, while he generally didn’t like physical effort he had gotten an athletic built from years of running and exercising that his father had him do since he was little.

After he was done picking he buttoned the shirt all the way up, hiding the raised neck before he put on a pair of white pants that hugged his legs. Edward let the shirt out, covering his waist.

“Edward, breakfast is ready!” his mom called out from the kitchen, she was wearing a black business-like jacket along with a pink top under it and a black skirt. “I have to get to work.”

“Don’t worry mom I’m ready,” Edward walked out of his room as he finished putting on his silver colored watch. “Sorry, I was trying to pick my clothes.” He replied, surprised at his mother’s own puzzled look. “What is it?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“You look good,” his mother pointed out, she walking over to his son so that she could straighten his shirt. “See, I told you that you’d look great if you stopped wearing that jacket you’re always wearing,” she giggled before looking over at the kitchen table. “Anyway, you should get some breakfast so that I can take you to school.”

“Oh right,” Edward snapped back to reality before proceeding to walk over to the table. He wasn’t sure if he really wanted to go to school after everything that had happened but it’s not like he had a choice.

“You came in late yesterday, almost past the curfew,” his mother nodded her head before she sat down next to Edward. Edward looked down at his breakfast, he had been in China Sector about an hour and it was 80 minutes to and back by cab. “So what were you doing?”

Edward looked up at his mother, he knew he couldn’t lie to her, he would always make excuses to his father but his mother was usually the one that always got the truth out of it. He couldn’t force himself to do it though, what if she disapproved what if she didn’t believe him and thought he had gone nuts what if….no it wasn’t the time to question himself. “I was out with some friends from school, they called me at the last minute so I just went without telling you and dad the whole truth, sorry for worrying you,” he chuckled, something he rarely do. His mother seemed to have bought it though especially with the good kid smile he put on.

“Well then I guess that’s good, you’re always alone so I shouldn’t pester you about it,” his mother nodded her head before looking at her watch. “Anyway, let’s go,” she got up from the table; motioning her son to do the same.

Edward looked towards the door where his mother was taking out the keys to the apartment. He felt bad for lying to her but this was a matter that he had to solve on his own. However, what bothered him wasn’t the fact that he lied it was because he could easily see himself lying to her over and over and over again and becoming good at it too. “Wait for me,” he muttered before following her out of the apartment.

Edward looked out of the window of his mother’s car, the city seemed as normal as ever, it was unusually clustered but that was probably because it was a Monday. His point was that everything seemed as normal as every other day, as if none of the events he had experienced the other day happened. “You look pretty tense today Edward, is everything okay?”Edward turned around so that he could see his mother, he donning a tired look on his face.

“No I’m fine,” he replied, almost robotically as he stared at the sidewalk. From the corner of his eye he could see a teenager around his age, he was wearing a white beanie to cover the red hair under it, he had a pair of green colored eyes and his skin was tanner shade of white, he was wearing a white sport jacket with a pair of red sleeves along with a pair of blue jeans and a beige shirt under the jacket.

“Mom that’s Ricky, can I get off here?” Edward asked, turning around to look back at his mother who stopped the car.

“Well I guess I could if it’s true,” his mom shrugged, allowing Edward to get out from the car and walked over to Ricky.

“Hey, weird for you to be the one that comes to say hi to me,” Ricky pointed out before he and Edward put their fist together. “What’s up, I tried calling you last night but you didn’t pick up?” Edward just looked at his best friend from childhood. Ricky was the closest thing to a best friend he’s had, the two met each other in elementary and even though Ricky is popular and a jock he still treats Edward all the same.

But he didn’t expect he’d start questioning him as soon as he got there, otherwise he wouldn’t have left the car. “I was doing something,” Edward replied cautiously, unlike his mother Ricky knew when asking too much really was too much; guaranteeing Edward that he would leave it alone. “But anyway, enough about me what about you?” he asked with a chuckle; using a nice smile yet again.

“What’s with this new Edward,” Ricky gave him a puzzled look before grinning while looking at Edward, causing the latter to frown a little. “Anyway I’ve got that game I told you about today, you coming?” he asked, patting Edward on the shoulder. “I heard Shirley is going and to the after party too.”

“Do you always have to bring up Shirley,” Edward deadpanned as he looked at Ricky’s grin yet again. Ricky would always tease him about liking his childhood friend Shirley, the two met even before Edward started talking to Ricky and while she was really cute she wasn’t exactly someone Edward thought about in that sense, he however noticed she had been showing some feelings for him; but he’d rather just ignore it. “Nothing’s going on, if all she’s the one that likes me.” He groaned.

“Dude, do you know how many guys would want to be in your place?” Ricky asked as the two reached the gate to the school. Edward turned around giving Ricky a determined look. “What’s that for?”

“I’ve got some more important things at the moment,” he nodded his head. That was probably the closest thing to the truth he had said all day. He couldn’t think about school or his friends or what they were doing, he had to focus on his decision; something he’ll have to tell Harris when they meet that afternoon.

“Like what?” Ricky asked looking at Edward with curious eyes as if he never had anything important to do.

“I can’t tell you yet, but maybe when I know more about it,” Edward nodded his head; however he didn’t look at Ricky as he said this. “Now let’s go, we’re gonna be late,” he turned away from his best friend and proceeded to walk inside of the school building.

“It couldn’t hurt for you to get a girlfriend, I mean you’re not ugly man,” Ricky replied, making Edward groan at the fact he just wouldn’t let go of the girlfriend thing. “I heard some girls from class talk about who’d they want to ask for the dance next month and you were third in their list, I was fourth so that says a lot.” He grinned pointing at himself as if he was really special.

“Again, I don’t care,” Edward replied as he tried to show Ricky that he was tired of the subject without being too rude. He just couldn’t understand, why was everyone so interested in pairing up with someone else, hell they were still young Edward himself was only sixteen, in his mind he was still too young to think about being with someone else.

“All right, I’m just saying you should think of that as an option,” Ricky held his arms forward so as to tell Edward that he should calm down.

After class was over Edward grabbed his backpack and proceeded to walk out of the classroom, he had to go back home and get that pokéball since he had promised himself he would check what Pokémon was inside before he went to talk to Harris. In the end he hadn’t thought about what he would decide, whether he’ll become a trainer or stay as he is, he knew that if he decided to be normal nothing would happen it’s not like anyone would believe him if he talked about monsters that can fight and use weird attacks against each other.

“Hey, you’re not going to see Ricky’s game?” Edward turned around to the direction of the voice, standing in front of him was Shirley, her long orange hair waved as she walked through the hallway, making a lot of people turn to look at her. Edward just groaned, he didn’t like the way she glared at him with those amber colored eyes since they were one of the few things that could actually scare him. “You know how long he’s been playing, this game means a lot and as his best frie…”

“I’ve got something important to do Shirley!” Edward exclaimed, making Shirley just look at him with a puzzled look on her face. “And why does everyone keep giving me that look I can do important stuff!” he turned to look at all the other students that started looking by now. He had to calm down, even if he was annoyed about people not understanding him. “Sorry.”

“No, Ricky told me about this,” Shirley sighed before looking back up at Edward. “I don’t’ know what kind of mess you got yourself into this time Ed but I sure hope you can get out of it,” she turned around, her pink miniskirt moving a little alongside her. “Besides you should care about your friend’s more Edward you accomplish more things in groups.”

“Like that’s possible,” Edward muttered with a snicker, however he did it so that Shirley wouldn’t hear him. He wasn’t the sort of person that liked to work with groups hence why he liked to be alone; it was also one of the reasons why he didn’t want to become a trainer he’ll have to trust someone else to fight.

After getting out of school Edward took the bus home, using what little money he had left from the night before, if Harris ended up ordering anything he’ll have to pay for him and he might have to pay the ride back as well. “I should make a quick stop at my house,” he pointed out as he took out his cell phone and began dialing his mom’s number. “Yo mom, are you home yet?” he asked as soon as she picked up.

“No, actually I’ll be late today there’s a problem at the office dear,” Edward’s mom replied, a bit of a worried tone in her voice; however Edward decided not to pay too much attention to it. “Your dad’s in a meeting so he’ll be late too, there’s dinner in the fridge an…”

“Don’t worry mom I know, anyway I hope you solve that problem, bye,” Edward smiled before hanging up almost immediately. “Perfect,” he grinned, putting the cell phone back in his pocket. If his parents weren’t home that gave him a lot of time to open the pokéball and get to know the Pokémon inside without having to worry about space. “This might turn out to be a good day after all,” he pointed out with a grin as he turned to look at the passing cars that were seen from the window. “Chosen to pass judgment huh?”

As Edward got off from the bus he walked over to the entrance of the apartment complex, noticing something strange in the mailbox for his apartment. “What’s this?” he raised an eyebrow and proceeded to take out his own keys, his family had made copies for each of them to hold just in case. As Edward opened the mailbox he could quickly detail what was inside, it seemed to be some kind of notepad; however it was really big, so big it barely even fit inside the mail box.

“What the hell?” Edward gasped as he looked at the title that was on the cover of the Note pad. “Pokémon known and their attacks,” he muttered under his breath in case anyone was listening to him. Who could’ve left something like that there, was it Harris who left it there…was it “Spacer” no that would’ve been too obvious of conclusion.

After staring at the notepad for what seemed like hours Edward finally decided to check it out inside of his apartment. He quickly passed through the gate to talk to the guard that would usually sit there from the morning up to the late afternoon. “Excuse me sir, did Sam the usual mailman come here today?” he asked desperately.

“Uh, no some other guy came, said Sam called in sick,” the guard replied with a nod, a bit confused and worried about the way Edward was acting. “He seemed to be having some trouble with that book that was in your mailbox so I helped him out, I’m not asking though,” he replied while shaking his hand as Edward turned around and ran over to the elevator.

After reaching his apartment he threw his backpack down on the floor and proceeded to put the notepad on the kitchen table and opening it up. There were at least 800 pages in the whole thing; how they managed to make it fit inside the mail box was beyond his mind even if it was a rather small notepad.

“This shit can’t be real, are there really that many Pokémon?” his eyes were wide open showing the shock and confusion in his eyes as he skimmed through every page, ignoring the possibility of a paper cut. “This shit can’t be real,” he muttered once again, clenching his fist before looking towards his room.

“I can’t do it,” he muttered as he closed the notepad slowly. Even for him it was too much, he could literally see himself going crazy if he actually went through this, besides he couldn’t live a second life he was already missing one of the best moments in his best friend’s life right now and Shirley would just keep whining.

“I’ll just take the pokéball with me and tell Harris I won’t do it,” he replied before grabbing his backpack and walking over to his room his body swaying to the side as if he had lost all of his energy from just making that decision.

After catching his thoughts Edward found the strength to leave the safety of his home yet again, he grabbed the pokéball and put it inside his pocket like he had done the night before; except this time he had no regret about what he was about to do. He walked out of the apartment, his expression serious as he thought of what would happen once he got rid of this heavy weight.

Edward was walking through the streets of Central the center of the city and biggest part as well. He looked around trying to find Sunny’s Ice Cream which is where he was supposed to meet with Harris; of course it would be easier if it weren’t for all the people that were clustered around everywhere.

In the end after some time he finally managed to find his way around Central, however something else attracted him for some reason. Crossing a small alleyway was an abandoned grass field, there were the remaining of various houses all over the place, but the grass had grown so much it was practically covering the pieces. He remembered the place as a sort of shortcut, since no one went through that. But something else was attracting him this time.

“What’s going on here?” he asked himself and decided to walk towards the field. He just wanted to end with all the weirdness, but it was as if his mind and body were acting on their own and fighting against each other; with the body eventually triumphing.

Edward looked around, hearing the sound of old grass breaking as he stepped on it. “Why do I feel so weird being in this place?” Edward asked around, touching the wall on one of the buildings.

Then he felt it, as if someone was watching from behind, Edward tensed up; trying not to reveal to his stalker that he had noticed him. Who could it be, was it one of the Trainers, maybe Harris was expecting Edward to come through this place and had been waiting, no it seemed way to weird for someone that wanted to keep such a matter secret. He heard a shrieking noise coming from behind, as if a claw was scratching away at a wall or something.

Edward eventually came to the conclusion that the person or thing behind him wasn’t human. He turned around slowly, not wanting to alert it as he saw a pair of sharp blades. The creature seemed to look like a mantis; it had a pair of black eyes that showed menace and rage, a pair of small wings on its back and short legs. “You must be a Pokémon too,” Edward pointed out as surprise crossed his face.

“Yeah I think I remember while I was skimming,” Edward grinned before stepping back; trying to hide his fear from the Pokémon. “Scyther right, your image in the notebook caught my eye for a second.” He replied.

The Scyther didn’t stop glaring at Edward though, in fact it jumped forward, causing the teenager to jump out of the way as the green bug slashed through a piece of concrete, cutting it in half as if it was butter. “What the hell?” Edward gasped before seeing the Scyther turn around and sped towards him. “Shit it’s coming,” Edward looked at the floor, realizing that there was a stick there he grabbed it as fast as he could and put it forward; it was to no avail though as Scyther cut through it with ease.

Edward however took his chance to run, he knew he couldn’t run into the street because he could put all of the people there in danger, but he couldn’t stay either. “Okay,” the Scyther jumped forward, preparing itself for another slash as Edward let himself fall on the ground. He grabbed a handful of sand before rolling around and throwing it on the Scyther’s face, causing it to jump back to try and get it off. With this Edward started running away, taking the chance that Scyther had his eyes covered to hide behind a wall of concrete. “All right, I said I wasn’t gonna use you but things have changed,” he muttered before getting the pokéball out of his pocket. “Now go and you better be worth it.”

As Edward threw the red and white ball on the floor a blast of light came out, probably alerting the Scyther of Edward’s whereabouts, not like Edward cared since he was confident about getting a good Pokémon that could defeat Scyther. His illusions were destroyed as the light faded, revealing a small salamander-like Pokémon with orange skin, a pair of large blue colored eyes and a long tail with a flame at the tip of it.

“You’re not even big enough to be considered a toddler,” Edward deadpanned before the wall behind him was cut in half, causing him to jump to his feet and run behind the salamander. Scyther walked out of the smoke that had been created by the fallen pieces, his eyes looking even more menacing than before.

“This ain’t gonna cut it,” Edward grinned before looking down at the salamander Pokémon. “If you’re red and he’s green then it just may mean you have an advantage, of course I’m just guiding myself by colors but that doesn’t matter in a situation like this.” He looked down at the salamander once more. He remembered something about the notepad; even if he had only skimmed he had always been the sort of guy that could remember key things that popped out at him, either way he could remember the name of the Pokémon was it Charmonder, no it was Charmander definitely Charmander.

The Scyther roared before jumping forward and preparing to swing its blade. “Now Charmander use a fire technique or whatever you have?” Edward asked as Charmander stepped forward before firing a barrage of flaming bullets from its mouth. The Scyther was pushed back by the flames, the attack causing it to fly towards another wall. “Got it,” he grinned.

The Scyther took him by surprise though, as soon as Edward was about to attack once more the Scyther created various clones of itself, which proceeded to speed towards Edward from all sides. “Let’s go!” Edward yelled before he began running along with Charmander, two Scyther clones jumped at him from behind, their blades glowing green before they started slashing as one got in front.

“Down!” Edward roared, a blade gracing his cheek as he knelt down. Without his command the Charmander jumped at the Scyther’s leg, biting it as hard as it could and causing the clone to vanish, as it did this it hit the other Scyther with its flaming tail; burning its eye and making it disappear as well. “Well at least your able to fight on your own,” Edward sighed before wincing in pain, he could feel blood running down his cheek something that was bothering him since the blade almost went all the way down into his skull.

And then he felt something strange wash over him, as if time itself was slowing down right in front of him, he felt his body becoming lighter once time finally stopped. “What’s going on?” he asked himself before walking slowly, the Scyther wasn’t moving and neither was Charmander. He could see the whole field and even see where to go and what to use to try and win, and if that wasn’t enough his mind felt as if it was being filled with knowledge about how he could beat this Pokémon.

It was as if the battle was flashing right in front of him, allowing him to see what may happen depending on what he did. “This is it, the perfect strategy.” Edward grinned mischievously as he turned back to the two Pokémon; his mind returning to where he and Charmander were. “I know where the real one is Charmander,” he got up from the floor and began walking out.

Charmander followed him, a worried look on its face since it was nervous as well. “Listen, you must have some kind of attack with your claws when Scyther jumps out I want you to slash the one on the left as fast as you can,” he instructed making Charmander give him a puzzled look. “Don’t you give me that look too, just do it,” he hissed practically making the salamander Pokémon nod in agreement.

And just as he said as soon as he and Charmander were in the open the two remaining Scyther came out from both sides, both ready to give the final shot.

“Now!” Edward ordered, signaling Charmander to jump in front of him once more. The fire type Pokémon roared before sticking its left claw out, as it did this the claw was surrounded by energy till it turned into a metallic color and fully enveloped its arm.

The Scyther that was on the left gasped, it didn’t have enough time to dodge before its eye was slashed by the powerful Iron Claw attack. The Scyther screamed as it was thrown back by a couple of meters; its clone disappearing as soon as the real one had been hit. Edward felt a little bit satisfied to see the Scyther squirm in pain while trying to stop the blood from coming out of its eye, even if it was pretty creepy still.

“Let’s take this chance, follow me,” Edward began running again, making Charmander groan as he followed. “I’m very prideful I’ll be honest about that, I’m not gonna leave this guy here and just run with my tail between my legs when I’m so close to winning this thing.” He spoke, referring to the battle as if it was some kind of game.

The two were coming near to what seemed to be the biggest concrete wall in the whole field, and it was also what Edward needed to fulfill his ultimate plan. “Listen Charmander, for this next trick you’re going to use the strongest fire attack you know,” he looked down; noticing Charmander was trying to remember what other attacks he knew besides the low leveled attack from before. “Anyway this is what we’ll do.”

He and Charmander jumped behind the large wall, standing in opposite sides of each other. Edward looked over at Charmander, giving a reassuring look as he positioned himself and got up from the floor. Scyther’s screeched could be heard as it put its two swords together before throwing both arms forward, firing an X shaped slashed that cut through the wall, creating a large cloud of smoke.

All right Charmander, you know what to do Edward’s thought ran wild as he stepped back, coming face to face with the Scyther that was jumping through the smoke cloud in front of him. Do it he grinned, showing a newfound courage and confidence that caused the Scyther to actually fear him. The mantis Pokémon turned around, only able to get a glimpse of the powerful jet of orange flames that slammed against it, surrounding its body and making it collide with the fence at the edge of the closed off area, the fence in turn was burned by the flames.

“So what did you think?” Edward looked over at Charmander, who seemed to be completely overwhelmed by what had just happened. “My plan worked perfectly, I don’t know how but it actually did,” he looked back at Scyther; noticing that its body was quickly burning away by the flames. “It’s sad that we had to kill it but it would’ve killed us first so I shouldn’t think too much of it,” he shrugged as he heard some voices approaching the area. “Let’s go,” he grabbed the pokéball that was in his pocket before pointing at Charmander and returning it, after that he proceeded to run out of the area as fast as he could.

He felt no regret now, no matter what he said or how much he debated it he had stepped into the van wagon a long time ago and now that he had experienced firsthand what battling really felt like he wasn’t about to give up.

“It was fun but it’s not just because of that, I wanna get to the bottom of this, to know who Spacer is, to know what Pokémon are I wanna know all of this…and then, well then I can make use of all of that.” He grinned as he raised the neck of his shirt. “Whether I’ll have to become a monster or become a hero, it doesn’t matter anymore.” He said, stopping as he looked at the other side of the street; Harris was waiting in front of the large ice cream shop known as Sunny’s Ice Cream.

As he crossed the street he felt his body become heavier and time slowing down once more, now that he had finally decided he didn’t know what fate would hold for him in the future. “Hey Harris,” he waved as he walked over and sat down.

“Edward, I’m so glad you came,” Harris replied, giving him a friendly smile before taking a lick from the ice cream cone he was eating. “So if you came here I assume you’ve made a good choice.”

“That’s right,” Edward smiled, looking at Harris straight in the eyes. “I wanna become a Trainer no matter what.”

“Good,” Harris grinned, a more sinister look crossing his face as he took another lick.

Unbeknownst to Edward though, a second pokéball was now clinging from his belt.

Next Entry: Edward dives deeper into the world of Trainer as well as experiencing his first battle, meanwhile it seems something is going down with Edward’s mom, something that might threaten the secret and why is Ramona so interested in Edward and that he doesn’t pay attention to Harris?

---

I hope it was good for you guys though I understand if it felt a bit quick at some points and I hope you didn't mind the Pokemon I chose to give Edward it's just that it's a personal favorite of mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

No offense, but when first saw Edward's Pokémon ... I was like: "Oh God!". xD

It's not that I have a problem with it but he got a quite rare Pokémon (which could be excusable if it were a starter Pokémon), but from your story I expected something unexpected, perhaps a different Pokémon or something more weaker or cutesy. But hey, it's your story. Nevertheless, it was a great chapter. Edward is an interesting character, reminds me a bit of Ash, but only because he's not a guy who's interested in girls as much as his friend. That being said, I guess I could compare Ricky to Brock, Heh, just kidding.

I'm curious how you'll treat his mother because some writers often ignore the other member of the family. I'm looking forward to it, keep up with the good writing! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Flame Haze View Post
    “This ain’t gonna cut it,” Edward grinned before looking down at the salamander Pokémon. “If you’re red and he’s green then it just may mean you have an advantage, of course I’m just guiding myself by colors but that doesn’t matter in a situation like this.”
    Is he suggesting FireRed and LeafGreen? :L

Interesting chapter, and now I'm interested in the relationship of Shirley and Edward. It shall be an intreguing observation...

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read this chapter sporadically over the last couple days, so I'm probably forgetting most of it. I should go back and read it again...

Anyway, I thought it was good. Cool realistic battle, I'm excited to see where this goes.

Impossible is only a word
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So unfortunately, due to my being on holiday, I've only had a chance to read the first chapter. I do like it, it seems good and has potential, and like everyone else has already said, I like the concept. Not gonna lie though, it does sound a lot like Digimon :P still good though. Do you wanna add me to the list of people to tag?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Sure I'll add you.

Well the Pokemon don't talk though I do understand it has some similarities with Digimon since I sort of wanted to see what would happen if I combined the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting concept and after BlueNostalgia pointed it out I realized that it does remind me of Season 3 of Digimon...
    Nonetheless, the whole story is set up very well and dark too! Grammar is high quality along with the character dialogue and set up.

Though I was disappointed a bit when you went for Charmander as Elric's pokemon pal. Usually, I find authors a bit pretentious in giving their protagonist the juvenile form of Charizard...but let me say though that after reading this fic I don't think your pretentious.
    (I know he's not Elric but he's in your profile pic so how could I not! Haha)

The battle sequence with the Scyther was pretty damn good. It's not every day you get to see a Syther slice through concrete...

On another note...here's something that isn't official or anything but I always liked to follow it. In the world of Pokemon, leave a pokemon's name lower case if it's not a proper noun (like "He saw a rhyhorn") and have a pokemon's name that IS a proper noun upper case (like "This is my rhyhorn, Rhyhorn" OR "This is my rhyhorn, Funklicious"). This tends to make the passage less confusing. Your call though.

Overall, good job with the story!
    Anomalocaris are sexy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast