Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapon

Bulbasaur rocks. Period. Bulbajer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Bulbajer's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Weapon

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokémon.

Chapter 15

Morning came bright and early in the jungle. The Team Coeus alliance had spent the night watching the MID, guns trained, Poké Balls in hand. After the utter confusion and embarrassment following the arrival of enemy reinforcements, each soldier waited eagerly for a chance to make up for the blunder. They were disappointed, however, and by noon eyes began drooping and yawns spread infectiously. In fact, everyone was so tired that no one noticed the huge blast doors leading down to the underground bunker open ever so slightly.

Liza peered carefully through the opening before turning to face the others. "You guys ready?" she asked in a low voice. Everyone nodded.

A Team Magma tank commander opened the hatch on the top of the tank and began to climb out. "I don't care if I'm violating orders, I gotta get out of this tank!" he muttered feverishly, wiping his hand over his sweaty brow. "I knew we should have gotten air conditioners in these things-" Suddenly a small but heavy rock landed on the tank's surface next to the commander, making a deafening DONGGGG. The commander was surprised enough to forget about getting out of the tank long enough to remove the piece of paper wrapped around the rock. The paper contained a brief message: "Get out of the tank."

The commander looked exasperated. "Well, duh! I was just doing tha-" He stopped short as a jet of flame erupted from a broken window in the MID and shot directly towards the tank. "YIIIAAHHHHH!" He managed to climb out, dive off the tank, and crawl behind a tree before the Flamethrower attack hit the tank. His tank crew were lucky - they had climbed out a while before, allegedly to "use the facilitrees". Had they stayed, they would likely have been killed instantly as the tank exploded.

Liza patted Charla's back. "That's it, Charla! Now wait a bit for the other tank crews to realize what we're doing before you blast the next one."

Fortunately for the Magma tank crews, Liza had trained her Charizard well. Seconds after each tank crew had scurried out from the tank, the Flamethrowers hit, setting off more blasts. Of course, not all of the crews were so quick to abandon their tanks; many returned fire. The area of the building fromwhich the Flamethrowers had erupted becam clobbered with tank shells, but when the smoke cleared, no sign of Liza or her three Charizard remained.

Inside the MID, an Alakazam owned by one of the scientists was concentrating fiercely. Its job was to protect the defenders from harm with its psychic abilities. Considering just how powerful a tank gun's shell is, as well as the fact that the defenders were spread about the windows of the building, Alakazam was going beyond its usual excellence. It knew that the lives of the volunteers were in its hands.

Harrison and his Pokémon prepared to launch an attack on a group of Team Rocket grunts as Liza and her Charizard ran past, heading for another window spot. First, his Blaziken and Houndoom used Flamethrower. Then, Skarmory and Flygon sent Swift and Hyper Beam attacks, respectively, against the Rocket troops, who were running around with their rear ends on fire. The troops retreated, but others began shooting and ordering their Pokémon to attack Harrison's window. Alakazam's defenses blocked the bullets while Harrison and his Pokémon took off, but the SolarBeams and Fire Spins and Hydro Pumps broke through. Fortunately, Harrison was already out of harm's way.

These hit-and-run attacks continued for a few minutes, but soon the combined firepower of the four criminal syndicates began to overwhelm Alakazam. Seeing its discomfort, Officer Jenny barked into her walkie-talkie. "That's it, we're done! Get back here on the double!" One by one, the defenders returned to the blast doors and hurried inside, providing cover for each other with their Pokémon. Casey was the last one. As her Pokémon sprinted through the doors, she turned and hollered at the enemy. "We showed you, amatu-" A nearby explosion from a Fire Spin knocked her off her feet, sending her sliding across the floor. Jenny grabbed the girl, dragged her in, and had her men shut the doors. The entire party rushed silently down to the bunker.

Casey's Meganium, Elekid, and Beedrill cried out as they saw their trainer being borne to a stretcher, but Casey waved at them reassuringly. "Don't worry, you guys, I'm fine!" But she had cuts and bruises all over her. After a quick examination, Nurse Joy concluded that nothing serious had happened.

"Casey, that was awfully foolish of you to stop and tease," reproved Jenny.

The young trainer's face fell. "I... I didn't think... I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so violent..." She started shaking as the realization of how close she had come to death settled in.

Duplica held her hand. "None of us were expecting it, Casey. It's okay."

After that, Casey cheered up. Nurse Joy and her Chansey and Blissey tended to the few minor injuries that the defenders had received. Everyone had their own reaction to the intense violence they had just escaped from: Harrison, Duplica, all five Kimono sisters, and Ritchie seemed shaken, but alright. Macy, Violet, and Lily cried mostly, while Daisy complained about the damage her beauty had received. Liza, the Squirtle Squad Jenny, and Danny looked grim but calm. And of course, Casey spent a great deal of time telling everyone how they had beaten Team Coeus, though she did so in a less confident voice than she had before the attack. Dr. Quackenpoker and Seymour the Scientist hadn't accompanied the defenders; they had been consulting with Professor Katt.

"Oooo Professor Katt!" Seymour gushed. "How very pleased I am to meet you! I've heard a great deal about your work with mysterious Pokémon."

Katt smiled modestly. "Thank you, Professor Seymour. The pleasure is all mine. I understand you work with Clefairy?"

Seymour nodded eagerly, pushing his glasses back up his nose. "Indeed! The Clefairy are simply amazing Pokémon, and Clefable as well. Living among them has greatly increased my faith in my theory that they came from the moon!"

Quackenpoker looked impressed. "From the moon? Geez, that's quite a trip. I hope they had comfortable seats."

"Chu," agreed Professor Chu.

It would be very unlikely that at that moment, some alien happened to be peering through some special gizmo at Timbuktu, a town in Mali, West Africa. If such was the case, however, the alien would find its view momentarily obstructed by a large orange shape, followed immediately by rainbows. This would have been quite odd, considering how rainbows are perceived by the eye and how often they follow large orange shapes, but you get the point. You don’t? Well, fine then, here’s the point: some sort of Unidentified Flying Orange was, at that moment, soaring high above Timbuktu, heading west. Just saying.

As Ash, Misty, and Brock were walking, Vulpix suddenly popped out of its ball. Unfortunately for Ash, it appeared right in front of his legs. Ash stumbled, squawking. Misty unconsciously started to help him up, realized she was touching him, and dropped him, with the result of more squawking. Meanwhile Brock asked, "What's up, Vulpix?"

The Fox Pokémon didn't answer. It just stared straight ahead. As the others also stared, the sound of crunching dirt and disturbed leaves broke the strange silence. Pikachu tensed, cheeks sparking, but stopped in shock as an Entei stepped out from the foliage.

They all gasped. The Legendary Volcano Pokémon - in the middle of a jungle? Only Vulpix seemed unsurprised.

Entei simply gazed in a knowing sort of way at the three trainers and their Pokémon. Its neck stood erect from the mane of brown fur; the cloud-like formations on its back flexed slowly up and down on the gentle wind. Then, a voice in Ash's head spoke. Do not be afraid. It was more of a thought than a voice; it expressed itself not so much in words as in feeling.

I am here to help you. Ash glanced briefly at the other two and saw from their expressions that they too heard the "voice".

Entei turned its face to their right. South, said the voice. You must go south.

Ash was just a bit confused. First, by some impulse, Vulpix had led them east. Had it been wrong? Something told him that somehow Vulpix was not in the wrong. Maybe they were meant to go east, then south.

Entei turned back to them. Be careful. And then it leaped back through the foliage and disappeared with a single rustle. Vulpix sat down, looking very pleased with itself.
    The three humans stood there in a daze until Pikachu had the sense to turn south. "Pika pika!"

His awkward moment with Misty temporarily forgotten, Ash followed Pikachu. "You're right, Pikachu, we've got to do what Entei said! Let's go, guys!"

A few miles east of where Entei had appeared, Pokémon began sprinting through the jungle undergrowth, crying in alarm. As a terrified Caterpie scrambled up a tree, the Team Magma grunts emerged from the foliage. They were walking casually, with long, lazy strides, their guns swinging back and forth in their arms. Behind them marched their Pokémon, looking eagerly for stragglers of the stampede. If any wild Pokémon was seen, it was attacked by the Magmas' Pokémon and captured immediately. Another grunt approached the squad, holding a small, frail-looking old man by the arm.

"Sir," reported the grunt, "I found this old geezer trying to stop us from catching some wild Pokémon."

The grunt in charge looked up from his cigarette with a grin. "Bring 'im here." The old man was deposited at the feet of the leader, who began walking around the prisoner. "So, Gramps, you don't like that we caught all those pretty liddle Pokémon? Did you want some yourself?"

The man didn't look angry, only sad. He opened his mouth and said:

"All things bright and beautiful,
    All creatures great and small,
    All things wise and wonderful,
    The Lord God made them all."

The other men laughed. The officer waited until they were done to gently grasp the man's white hair. His black glasses hid any emotion he may have felt. "Well, ain't that pretty? You should say that liddle poem at parties." The butt of the gun slammed into the old man's head, laying him out flat like a tree cut down.

The Caterpie in the tree didn't come out until hours after the Magma squad had left, continuing west, towards the point where Ash and his friends had been suddenly told to turn south.

A/N: The poem from the last scene comes from an Anglican hymn, "All Things Bright and Beautiful." It is also the inspiration for the titles of veterinarian James Herriot's main series of books (great reads if you haven't read them!)

Bulbajer types interesting posts at the speed of light! Surrender to his refreshing sense of humor or prepare to fight!
    ~ ~ ~
    TCG collector, original series fan, and uncompromising Pokéshipper.
    Other fandoms: Teen Titans, Ranma 1/2, Sword Art Online, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    ~ ~ ~
    (James seeing Unown in M03) "I haven't seen this many strange letters since the last time I placed a personal ad."

Blog Entries

Chapter 16

"We believe it's an Alakazam, sir."

Mordred nodded. It made sense that the besieged scientists and their friends wouldn't launch an attack without trying to protect themselves from the deadly tank shells and bullets. "One Alakazam kept all those fools alive? Impressive. But the defenders will have to come up with something better. One powerful Psychic Pokémon can't hold back our firepower for very long. Remind me, what were the damage figures, Captain?"

The officer in question replied readily. "Team Magma lost four tanks, Team Rocket lost a helicopter, and we lost a tank and an APC [armed personnel carrier]. No fatalities reported yet. Human and Pokémon injuries appear to be under seventy."

Though Mordred didn't let it show, he was ticked off. How in the world could those stubborn lab people manage to cause thousands of dollars' worth of damage and embarrass the combined forces of Team Coeus without losing a single person? Surely a piece of shrapnel or a bullet or two had managed to evade that Alakazam's defenses and find a target? Surely the explosions... there had been so many of them...

He could feel another fit coming on. Hastily, he dismissed the officers and turned to face the back of his tent, as if contemplating a response to the sudden guerrilla attack. Slowly, the memory made its way through the mental defenses he had spent a lifetime building...

"Hey kid, keep running..."

Mordred looked over his shoulder as he ran. To his terror, some of the men were following him. The fire that now engulfed his house contrasted with their dark shapes.

"... keep running, unless you want to end up like them..."

A sob interrupted his panting as Mordred quickened his pace, desperately yearning to reach the jungle. The screams of his family echoed in his mind. He wanted to cry out to them. "Mom! Dad! Sis! Big Brother!" He wanted to pretend they were running along with him. That he knew that they were alive and well.

As he ran, tears streaming down his face, he looked up, praying to whoever was listening, and saw something pink fly by in the distance...

It was the wail of an injured Team Mordred member being brought by on a stretcher toward the medical tent that woke Mordred from his stupor. The criminal leader sweated and trembled uncharacteristically, staring lasers into the wall of the tent.

Pikachu walked at the front of the group, followed closely by Ash. Brock followed a bit farther behind, while Misty, carrying Togepi, made up the rear. Since their awkward moments before encountering Entei, Ash and Misty had been putting as much distance between themselves as they could.

"Hey, Ash," Brock called up to the younger trainer, "how will we know when we've gone south far enough? Come to think of it, what are we looking for?"

Ash answered without turning, not even taking a chance of making eye contact with Misty. "We're looking for Mew, Brocko, remember?"

Misty sighed irately. "We know that, Ash. But are we just going to walk into Mew, or is there someplace we need to look for where Mew might be?"

Ash turned around this time, ready to argue, but a sound ahead captured his attention. Something was roaring, and not in a happy way. The roar echoed between the trees, causing Togepi to withdraw into Misty's bag in fright.

Pikachu began to sprint forward. "Pika pika!"

Ash and the others followed. "Right, Pikachu, we better see what's going on!"

Soon they came across a clearing, and the sight caused them to stop in shock. A giant cage stood in the middle of the clearing on top of some sort of platform. Inside the cage, a huge yellow tiger-like Pokémon with black markings, a long purple mane, and a black-and-light-blue facemask stood, roaring with majestic displeasure. Next to the cage stood a man and a woman in black uniforms, a familiar-looking pair, laughing at the Pokémon.

Brock gasped. "It's a Raikou!"

"And Bootch and Cassidy!" added Ash.

"It's Butch!" Butch and Cassidy turned to see the group. Cassidy grinned. "Ah, it's you three again. Been a while, hasn't it?"

Butch sniggered. "How do you like our new Raikou?"

"You let that Raikou go!" Ash yelled. For the moment, he had completely forgotten about the mission to find Mew.

"I'm afraid it's not that easy," replied Cassidy. "You see, we have a boss to impress. I'm sure he'll be pleased to find we've captured the Legendary Thunder Pokémon."

"Yes," agreed Butch. "We were following you three for a while, but once our Manectric started sensing Raikou in the area, we decided that capturing it was more important than finding out whatever you were up to!"

Ash pulled a Poké Ball off his belt, but Brock halted him. "Ash, wait a minute. Our friends at the MID are counting on us to find Mew! If we take too long, we could be endangering their lives!"

This made Ash hesitate. Brock was right; they had to find Mew as fast as possible. But they couldn't just leave Raikou here to the mercy of Team Rocket! "I know, Brock," he replied grimly, "but first we free Raikou. The defenders at the MID will just have to wait a bit longer." With that, the battle began.

At first, it seemed that Ash's Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Bayleef, Charizard, Squirtle, and Heracross, Misty's Staryu, Starmie, and Corsola, and Brock's Geodude, Onix, Crobat, and Forretress would easily overwhelm Butch and Cassidy. Then the two Team Rocket agents sent out just as many Pokémon. A few of them Ash recognized from previous encounters with Butch and Cassidy, but most of them looked new. All of them looked extremely powerful.

"Our boss lent us lots of Pokémon," Cassidy explained with a confident smile, just before Pikachu sent a Thunderbolt at an Electabuzz.

While the battle raged, Team Rocket watched from the cover of the trees. "GRRRRRR..." grumbled Jessie, eyeing daggers at Cassidy. "Look what they've done, James! They caught a Raikou! IN A CAGE!"

James also seethed with jealousy. "Indeed! Why can't we ever do something like that!"

"Because we're too busy yappin'!" Meowth stood up, pointing at the Raikou. "I say we steal dat Raikou from under their noses, then give it to the boss!"

The other two agreed swiftly. So soon, the battle became three-sided, with the Team Rocket trio running from the trees and attacking Butch and Cassidy's Pokémon with their own.

Ash saw Charizard launch a Flamethrower at a Poliwrath, while Heracross swooped by, dueling with another winged Pokémon. Bulbasaur and Squirtle stood back to back and slowly circled, fending off their attackers with Razor Leaf and Water Gun. Bayleef took a hit from a Flamethrower as Starmie spun through the air, tackling Bayleef's attacker. Ash was beginning to worry that their Pokémon were outmatched when he saw Raikou looking right at him. An idea popped into the trainer's head.

He sprinted through the various Pokémon towards the cage which housed Raikou. Reaching it, he struggled with the door, but it wouldn't budge. Ash threw himself against the cage, grunting, desperate to get Raikou out before Butch and Cassidy noticed what was going on. He was just bending down, taking a breath, when Forretress hurtled out of nowhere. Thrown by one of Butch and Cassidy's Pokémon, it smashed into the lock on the door, breaking it. It barely missed breaking Ash, too. Raikou leapt over Ash and Forretress as easily as jumping over a crack on a tiled floor. It looked into Ash's eyes again, and this time, Ash heard a "voice": Come with me.

Ash didn't question Raikou. "Misty, Brock! Over here! Let's go!" The three trainers called to their Pokémon, who were spread out all over the clearing in various fights, and away they all went, south into the trees. Some of Butch and Cassidy's Pokémon started following them, but then stopped and looked for orders from the duo.

As it happened, Butch and Cassidy weren't paying any attention to Ash, Misty, and Brock or their Pokémon, or even Raikou. They were so engrossed over the feud with Jessie, James, and Meowth that they didn't even see Raikou escape. As Cassidy's Raticate bit hard on Arbok's tail, making the Cobra Pokémon wail, Cassidy shouted across the melee: "When will you three learn? We're the real Team Rocket agents. The Boss likes us!"

Jessie howled in anger. "Oh, yeah?! We'll see about that! Arbok, don't give in!"

"Weezing," cried James, "show those two what it means to be part of Team Rocket!"

Meowth, caught up in the moment, charged at Butch and leapt up, claws extracted. "Meowth'll make the boss proud! Fury Swiiiiiii-uh...?" He landed suddenly, claws still out, a confused expression on his face. Everyone forgot the rivalry for a moment and turned to look at Meowth to see what was the matter. Meowth gazed at the cage.

"Wait... isn't... wasn't there a... where's Raikou..."

Silence reigned for exactly two seconds. Then Cassidy and Butch wailed in unison, "NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!"

James observed the obvious. "The twerps got away with Raikou. Catch them!"

But Jessie was a bit preoccupied; she was pointing with quivering rage at Cassidy. "I don't care about that Raikou anymore, let's kill them!"

And so the rivalry continued.

After running a safe distance, Ash, Misty, and Brock stopped and leant against the trees, panting. The Pokémon did likewise. Raikou, though, hadn't broken a sweat. The Thunder Pokémon waited patiently for its rescuers to regain their breath. Then, it spoke in the same way Entei had spoken.

You did well.

Ash and Misty exchanged grins, then looked away, blushing.

You are close to your goal now. Head west.

Again, Ash wondered why they were being made to travel this way and that. Maybe Mew was constantly moving. Would they ever find it?

Raikou read Ash's thoughts. Do not give up, young trainers. Do not give up, brave Pokémon. All you need to do is believe! Raikou paused, brushing at its mane with a paw and giving a look that very clearly said, Corny, isn't it?

Then Raikou turned and leapt off.

Bulbajer types interesting posts at the speed of light! Surrender to his refreshing sense of humor or prepare to fight!
    ~ ~ ~
    Other fandoms: Teen Titans, Ranma 1/2, Sword Art Online, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    ~ ~ ~
    (James seeing Unown in M03) "I haven't seen this many strange letters since the last time I placed a personal ad."

Blog Entries

A/N: Sorry for the long update. I think I'll be posting chapters every few days now, instead of every other day.

Chapter 17

It was 4 in the morning in Pallet Town. Most residents lay asleep in their beds. A few teens occasionally wandered the streets in groups, trying to pretend they weren't tired. Dodrio still had at least two more hours before it had to get up and sound the beginning of a new day. Most of the Pokémon at Professor Oak's lab slept. The notable exceptions were Ash's Pokémon. Muk, Kingler, Snorlax, Noctowl, Phanpy, and the leader of the Tauros herd had gathered in Oak's living room. The Professor didn't seem to mind. He was busy at the computer, sipping coffee. Tracey, Delia, and Mimey sat behind him, watching the screen, hoping for news. All of them were thoroughly exhausted.

Delia sighed, then jumped when a grumbling sound came from behind them. The source of the noise became clear soon enough: "Muuuuukkk..."

With effort, Delia stood up and headed to the kitchen. "Oh, poor Muk, its stomach is growling. I'll go get some food for all of them. They're so worried about Ash..." She paused, wiping away a tear, then busied herself making an early morning meal.

Tracey took advantage of Ash's mother's absence. "Professor," he asked softly, "I don't suppose there's any change?"

Oak closed his eyes, giving them a break from staring at the screen. "No, I'm afraid not. Communications with the MID are still down. I haven't heard from Liza since she led the reinforcements down to Guyana. My governmental contacts have assured me that they will notify me if anything happens."

If anything happens... thought Tracy. The satellite footage of explosions rocking the MID building was still fresh in his mind.

After a while, Delia emerged from the kitchen carrying various platters of Pokémon food. She fed the Pokémon in the living room, then Tracey's Scyther, Venonat, and Marill, who were napping near their trainer, then Mimey. She went back into the kitchen and came out carrying even more platters, which she used to feed the 29 other Tauros who were gathered outside. Finally she brought out a platter of human food for the humans.

Tracey eagerly grabbed a bagel. "Thanks, Mrs. K!"

Professor Oak smiled for the first time since the previous night. "Your cooking is infallible, Delia. I don't know what we'd do without you."

Delia beamed, but tiredly. "Thank you both!"

The morning dragged on quietly.

Two Team Aqua members sat eating lunch in the jungle shade.

"I mean, she probably doesn't even know I exist," the younger one was saying, stirring his soup continuously.

The slightly older one munched on his sandwich. "Aw, c'mon, man. You gotta have more self confidence. Sure Shelly knows you exist!"

The young one sighed. "Well, she is an Admin... that's pretty high up there. As far as I know, she's only seen me once, and that was during that disastrous Littleroot Town mission. With all the grunts in Team Aqua... I doubt she'd remember me."

"Then make her remember you!" the older one encouraged, before turning upon another sandwich. "Act real tough in public. Start talkin' dirty. Don't be afraid to make fun of the recruits." He continued his advice while enjoying his sandwich. "Myough knowth, mm, bthe bad-boye acth. Grlz luff id. Mhm!"

The younger one looked up from his soup. "You really think so?"

His older companion swallowed and winked. "I know so. Trust me. Now, no more of that 'I think Shelly's really pretty, don't you?' crap. Say this out loud: Dat Shelly's wicked sexay! Say it with me!"

The younger one blushed, but complied. "That Shelly's wicked sexy... Dat Shelly's wicked sexay. Dat Shelly's wicked sexay!"

Somewhere off in the distance, a Hoothoot made a snorting.

The second attack on Team Coeus by the MID met with less success than the previous one. This time, the four criminal syndicates were ready. Harrison had only three seconds to stick his head out of the door before he was noticed.

Slamming the door closed swiftly, Harrison turned to the others. "Officer Jenny, it's just as you thought. They're watching the door." Tiny thud sounds could be heard as bullets and Pokémon attacks hit the blast door.

Jenny frowned. "Right. Well, what are we going to do now?"

"I don't understand," said Sakura. "Why can't we just go out there with Alakazam protecting us like last time?"

Danny answered. "That Alakazam barely kept us alive. All those bullets and attacks and tank shells are too much for it. We can't risk it again, especially when Team Coeus is expecting us."

Justin voiced an idea. "Alakazam made invisible barriers, right? Well, what if it made lots of opaque barriers? You know, to block their view of us. It wouldn't help the danger of the situation, but it might give us some stealth."

"It's possible..." replied Jenny doubtfully.

Violet sat down on the crowded stairway. "I say we give up trying to attack them... at least for now. I mean, what's the point? We pretty much have to wait for Misty and her friends to come back with Mew, anyway. Why bother risking our lives when we can't do anything?"

Casey grumbled, but everyone knew Violet had a point. Wouldn't Team Coeus just fire at the barriers once they saw them pop up out of nowhere? Yes, they would...

... But not forever, Justin thought. "Wait a minute... what if we have Alakazam put the barriers in the windows but we don't come out right away? That way Team Coeus might waste a ton of energy trying to hit us, because they'll think we must be behind the barriers. Since we wouldn't be, Alakazam wouldn't have to worry about keeping us safe - only making it look like the barriers were there. Once they realize that we're not behind them, they'll stop bombarding the windows. Then we'll attack through one window, pull back, and attack though another. They won't know which window to aim for!"

Macy's face lit up. "That's a genius plan, Justin! Let's do that. My Ash wouldn't want us just to sit tight!" She received some strange looks after that. Duplica whispered to Casey, "If Macy is Ash's girlfriend, I'm Edward 'Sparklepuss' Cullen."

Casey nodded. "Ditto."

A few minutes later, Alakazam was brought up to the door and shown a blueprint of the building. After receiving the go-ahead from Officer Jenny, Alakazam closed its eyes in concentration. The defenders held their breath. They couldn't hear it through the blast doors, but members of all four criminal syndicates cried out in alarm when they noticed flat, black tablets had magically appeared where the broken windows had been before. About fifteen seconds after Alakazam began, the defenders heard he first attack, a Fire Blast from a Team Rocket Charizard, collide with one of the barriers.

For the next few minutes, the dull roar outside and the shaking ground informed the group behind the blast doors that Team Coeus hadn't ceased fire yet. When the roaring and shaking finally died down, Jenny turned to Alakazam. "You good to go?"

"Kazam!" it answered without opening its eyes.

"Alright, everybody! Remember your assigned windows, and remember the order - Justin and the Squirtle Squad are up first! Good luck!"

Team Coeus was collectively grumbling about their wasted ammo and Pokémon energy. The black-window thing had been a ruse. So they were all very surprised when attacks started coming directly from those black things. Justin 's Bulbasaur launched a SolarBeam at Team Rocket at the same time that the Squirtle Squad, with their commanding Officer Jenny, shot four Water Guns at Team Magma. A Team Rocket helicopter spiraled out of control, its men throwing themselves out desperately, while a few Magma soldiers and a lot of Magma Pokémon (most of whom were weak against Water-type attacks) flailed about, trying to dry themselves off. Both Teams returned fire, and Teams Aqua and Mordred, who had not been attacked yet, took aim, expecting the windows to belch fire. Nothing happened. Less than a minute later, though, the action resumed. Danny had Electrode, Nidoqueen, and Geodude use Thunderbolt, Hyper Beam, and Rock Throw, respectively, on some Aqua members. Duplica's two Ditto Transformed into Fearow and Magmar and used Hyper Beam and Fire Blast on Team Mordred.

The attack continued in this fashion, two at a time. Because Team Coeus' retaliations were much more limited and not as spread out as before, Alakazam was able to protect the defenders without being overwhelmed.

Several Team Mordred grunts were ordering their Pokémon to target the window that Sakura and her Espeon had just disappeared from when Hadis marched up. Anger boiled behind his strict military face. "You won't get them that way. Target all of the windows!"

The Mordred grunts exchanged a confused glance, but did as they were told. No one disobeyed Hadis.

Sumomo and her Vaporeon had just passed Jenny A/N: Remember, this is a different Jenny than the one in charge of the MID and the Squirtle Squad in the southern side of the building when a Fire Blast exploded in the hallway. The blast knocked both Sumomo and Vaporeon off their feet. Jenny and the Squirtle wheeled around and hustled back towards the two limp forms. After the Squirtle hastily put out the small fires on and around the trainer and her Pokémon, Jenny quickly assessed the injuries. Sumomo was completely unconscious, while Vaporeon was still awake, albeit in terrible pain. Its type had barely provided a defense against the unbelievably powerful Fire Blast from Team Mordred. Picking up Sumomo and carrying her, she called on the four Squirtle to carry Vaporeon. They all hurried down the corridor towards the stairs that led to the main lobby. By chance, Harrison came running around the corner.

"Harrison!" cried Jenny. "They're targeting random windows. Sumomo got hit. We need to pull back!"

"Right!" answered Harrison, skidding to a halt and running back the way he came, yelling, "Liza! They caught on to what we're doing! We're pulling back! Tell the others!"

Alakazam, aware that Sumomo and Vaporeon were hit, was trying once again to block all of the windows. By the time the defenders began returning to the blast doors, it was sweating profusely. The MID Jenny counted the people who rushed through the doors, held open by her men, and when everyone was accounted for, the men closed the doors. The second attack was over.

Down in the bunker, Nurse Joy and her medical team were everywhere, checking on each participant in the attack. Besides Sumomo and Vaporeon, Harrison and one of the Squirtle Squad received serious injuries. Everyone else had cuts and bruises all over.

Sumomo's sisters and their Pokémon crowded around the Chansey working on Sumomo and Vaporeon, crying and hugging each other. Nurse Joy tended to Harrison, whose face was screwed up in pain, as his Pokémon watched anxiously. They had carried their trainer after he had fallen to the floor, injured from one of Team Rocket's barrages. A Chansey was examining the unconscious Squirtle and, after a moment, said something to the three other Squad members and their Officer Jenny. They relaxed visibly.

After watching Nurse Joy's Blissey supervise the medical team for a minute, Sahil turned and noticed Justin sitting in a corner, alone. He was hugging Bulbasaur to himself. Bulbasaur looked very sad, and was patting Justin on the shoulder with a vine. As Sahil walked up to Justin with Vidyut at his side, he noticed tears streaming down the boy's face.

"It was all my fault," he cried softly. "If I - if I hadn't had that stupid idea, no one would've... n-no one would've..."

Sahil put a hand on Justin's shoulder. "It is not your fault, Justin. We are dealing with four large and powerful criminal organizations. Injuries are to be expected. Your idea was a good one, and I am sure Team Coeus is paying for it right now."

"Blbl!" agreed Vidyut heartily, trying to boost the boy's spirit.

Justin looked up, tears still streaming. "B-But, is it worth it? I mean, if Alakazam hadn't been so strong... people could have died. Maybe Violet was right-"

"I was wrong," cut in Violet, coming over and sitting down next to him. "We may be depending on Ash and Misty and Brock to find Mew, but we still have to fight. Team Co-ed or whatever won't treat us any better if we let them take the building."

"Yah," added Daisy, who sat down on Justin's other side. "You did, like, the right thing, Justin. Cheer up - Harrison and the others will say the same thing when they're all nice and better, for sure."

Lily sat down in front of Justin, hiding a grin. He was surrounded now. "Totally. Speaking of Mew, I can't wait until Misty gets back. I want to see if Mew looks as cute as it sounds!"

The sisters giggled and launched into a conversation about how adorable Mew would look in their Facebook profile pictures. Justin looked like he was paying less attention to the conversation and more attention to how close the bubbly teenage girls sat. Bulbasaur's expression was similar.

Chukling, Sahil and Vidyut walked back to Nurse Joy, who was now talking to Officer Jenny. "How are the patients, Nurse Joy?" he asked, lowering his voice.

Joy looked calm, but grim. "They'll all be alright. Sumomo's awake now, and she and her Vaporeon are being treated for burns. Harrison took a bullet in his left calf, but I think we can remove it easily enough. As for Squirtle, it just got knocked on the head. Good thing Squirtle have thick skulls."

Jenny nodded. "Yes, very good thing. They're all very lucky. Someone easily could have been killed with all those tank shells and bullets flying around."

Sahil smiled grimly. "We are lucky to have such brave warriors - and such a well-trained and dedicated Alakazam. But... we can't keep going like this."

Jenny's eyes were stormy. "No, we can't. If those three kids don't find Mew soon..."

One of Jenny's men approached. "Ma'am, I have bad news. Our food, water, and medical supplies are running low."

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

A/N: Warning: uncreative sentence structuring ahead.
    Oh, and also, I forgot to mention something about historical accuracy: the Carib people (remember the tablet in Chapter 12?) were real, but I made up the part about them having a written language.

Chapter 18

"Squirt squirtle?"

"Pika, pikachu."

For some reason, Squirtle had decided to walk with Ash and the others. It led the group west, chatting and catching up on recent events with Pikachu. Squirtle glanced back at Ash, raising its eyebrows. "Squirtle... squuiiiiiiiirt?" it asked, indicating Ash and Misty, who was walking next to Ash.

Pikachu sighed, but grinned. "Chu. Pika chu, pika chu."

Ash and Misty didn't hear; they were engrossed in their own conversation. "I swear," Ash was saying, "it was all Forretress! It broke the lock. I didn't really do much."

"Aw, Ash," gushed Misty, "you don't give yourself enough credit. You were great back there. Trying to open that cage, even though it seemed hopeless..."

Ash blushed. "Yeah, well, I guess I did okay. But you were great too. Staryu and Starmie really did some damage."

Now it was Misty's turn to blush. "Thanks, Ash." They walked on a bit in silence, occasionally glancing at each other out of the corners of their eyes. Then Misty continued, "Um, Ash?"

"Yeah?"

"... You're great. I mean-" she stuttered, blushing even harder, "-you're a great trainer. You raise your Pokémon well, you love them, you never back down... I really believe you'll be a Pokémon Master someday,” she whispered.

This compliment made Ash's heart go zero-g. "Gee, thanks Mist. That really means a lot. You know, you're great too... uh..." Ash tried to sound casual. "I mean, you're really great with Pokémon, you're a solid Gym Leader, you're pretty, you're practically a Water Pokémon Mast-" Oh no. OH NO. He did not just say that. He stopped dead and sssslllloowwwwllllyyyy turned to look at Misty. She was staring at him like he had just evolved into Gyarados.

You're screwed, said Ash's under-confident voice.

You're screwed, said Ash's over-confident voice.

Am I interrupting something? said Suicune.

The Aurora Pokémon appeared out of some bushes up ahead. Ash, Misty, Brock, Pikachu, and Squirtle all stopped abruptly, shocked. Suicune gave Ash and Misty what could have been an amused look before addressing them all in its "voice".

You are approaching the end of your journey. Mew's sanctuary is near. You have passed your test, but I am afraid there is another.

"Test?" asked Ash, bewildered.

You saved Raikou, explained Suicune. Despite the urgency of your mission and the constraints of time, you chose to stop and help another in need. Only worthy humans and Pokémon could have gotten this far.

Brock looked worried. "You said something about another test..."

Suicune nodded. Before you can find Mew, you must overcome the boundaries. Follow me. And it led the way through the foliage.

The trees grew larger and thicker as they walked on. Less sunlight made it to the floor of the jungle. Finally, Suicune stopped at a wall of vines and roots. In here. The dense vegetation seemed to unravel on its own, leaving a narrow opening. Ash, Misty, Brock, and Pikachu (Squirtle had returned to its Poké Ball) stepped into a dark cave.

Although the place completely lacked a source of natural light, the crest on Suicune's forehead lit with a blue glow. The glow illuminated the cave enough for Ash to see that they were in some sort of passageway. He followed Suicune down the passageway until Suicune halted and increased the glow of its crest. Ash gasped; before them lay a pit 100 feet wide and at least 200 feet across, maybe more. The bottom of the pit could not be seen, even with Suicune's glow. Across the middle was a naturally-formed bridge of rock; it can't have been more than two feet wide. Gulping, Ash tried to not to shake. Surely they weren't expected to cross.

Mew lies on the other side of this pit, said Suicune. One of you must cross. There is a device on the other side that will transport the rest of you. This is your final test.

Misty turned to Brock. "Brock, is Onix long enough to reach the other side?"

Brock looked doubtful. "I don't know, Misty..."

"Maybe we can use Charizard," suggested Ash.

The only way across is by using the bridge, answered Suicune. There are magical boundaries that will prevent you from doing anything else.

"Pikapi, Pikachu!" exclaimed Pikachu, pointing to itself.

Brock scratched his head. "Can a Pokémon do it, or does it have to be one of us?"

Suicune nodded. A Pokémon can be the one to cross.

"Pikapi!" Pikachu repeated. Clearly it wanted to try and cross. This made much more sense than a human crossing on that thin, narrow bridge, but Ash still didn't like it. If Pikachu fell, or the bridge collapsed...

"I'm going," he said shortly.

"ARE YOU CRAZY ASH KETCHUM?!" shouted Misty, her voice echoing through the cave. "You'll never make it across that little bridge!"

"Ash," said Brock, "I'm with Misty on this one. Why not let one of our Pokémon do it?"

"No." Ash didn't look at either of them. "I can't risk losing any of my Pokémon. I can't send them where I'm not willing to go."

Suddenly Bayleef, Bulbasaur, Heracross, Squirtle, and Charizard popped out of their Balls. They, along with Pikachu, tried to persuade Ash to let one of them go. But Ash would have none of it. "You guys... please... just let me go!" He broke free of his friends and dashed for the bridge - which was not a smart idea.

"Whaawaaaaaa!" Ash cried as he teetered on the bridge, waving his arms. Misty's and Bayleef's screams hurt his ears. Finally, he regained his balance and started walking, arms out either side. There was nothing the others could do now. They and Suicune watched as Ash made his way slowly, agonizingly, across the bottomless pit.

There was more than one scary moment, but with patience and determination, Ash eventually approached the end of the bridge. Suddenly, he misjudged a step and leaned way left. His friends froze, unable to cry out or even breathe. Then, after what seemed like an hour... he fell.

Misty, Brock, and all of Ash's Pokémon ran for the bridge without thinking, but stopped short when Suicune's glow suddenly went out. The stifling darkness tortured Ash's friends. And then... a pink glow. It began somewhere down in the pit, climbing steadily and bathing the cave in pink light. Ash rose from the black depths, looking just as bewildered as the others. Whatever invisible thing was carrying him set him down on the other side of the pit, and the light faded slightly. It was then that Mew became visible.

He would never admit it, but Mordred was growing impatient. It had been almost three days since the beginning of the siege. In the most recent outburst of fighting, Team Rocket had lost one helicopter, Team Magma had lost a tank, and his own Team Mordred had lost one armored personnel carrier and two trucks. About 55 men had been wounded all around Team Coeus. Rocket, Magma, and Aqua were all growing impatient. Despite Mordred's assurances that the MID had taken casualties and that the building was now in too poor a shape to defend, the alliance would not last long. Something must be done.

So something was done. After a brief teleconference with Giovanni, Archie, and Maxie, Mordred had Hadis order twenty of his men to enter the building. The men swept all the floors for any traps the defenders might have laid, and when the all-clear was given, they were joined by twenty members of Teams Rocket, Magma, and Aqua. The combined force made their way to the blast doors that led to the defenders' hideout and surrounded it. Mordred allowed himself a small smile. No more guerrilla attacks. The moment of truth was near.

The New Species Pokémon floated next to Ash, crying "Mew!" softly. It looked happy, thought Ash, but there were other emotions behind the cute face. Pride? Sadness? He couldn't tell, because Mew began zooming around the cave, darting in between Misty and Brock and around Ash's Pokémon, finally coming to a rest before Suicune.

Suicune smiled. You have done well, Ash Ketchum. By putting your friends ahead of yourself, you passed the final test. Mew would not have appeared had you not made such a selfless decision.

Misty felt pride for Ash swell up in her. She wasn't sure Ash could see her grin from across the pit, so she made it extra wide.

Mew zoomed back over to Ash's side then hovered near one of the walls. It seemed to be indicating something. Ash stepped up to the wall and discovered a small, jagged rock sticking out of it. He inspected it briefly and, taking a wild guess, pushed down gently on the rock. The rock slid down a bit like a switch. Loud grinding noises from the pit made Ash jump.

The pit seemed to be getting smaller. With a jolt, Ash realized that the rock ledges on both his side and the others' side were growing. There was no better way to describe it; the solid rock was extending like a river of water from a hose does when the hose is left on the ground. The tiny bridge simply melded in with the newborn stone. Within a minute, the two ledges met with a resounding, Earth-shaking BOOM.

Suicune turned to Misty and Brock. Now that you have found Mew, you must return to the place where it is needed. This way. And it started walking at a fast pace across the new bridge.

Ash wondered why they didn't go back the way they had come, but he didn't question Suicune. As he followed, Pikachu caught up to him and leapt onto his shoulder. "Pikapi! Chaaaaa!"

Ash grinned and patted his old friend's head.

As they trotted along the passage, a light became visible up ahead. Soon, they emerged into a place that Ash could only describe as "beautiful". The underground chamber reached up several stories and spanned the width of a good-sized house. On various ledges and on the ground sat colorful vegetation of all sorts. A single, ancient tree stood near the corner, next to a small pool of crystal-clear water. No light source could be seen, but the chamber was fully-lit. The whole sight was like a miniature version of the underground paradise created by Mewtwo in Mt. Quena, thought Ash.

Mew squealed happily and did a quick lap around the chamber, while Suicune explained. This is Mew's home. Unfortunately, we do not have time to stop. So they pressed on through a hole in the wall, and the dark stone passage resumed. After a surprisingly short period of time, another light appeared ahead. Soon they reemerged into the jungles of Guyana. Ash didn't have a clue as to where in the jungle he was until he noticed the rumbling and booming sounds coming from somewhere north. With a twist in his stomach, he recognized the booms as heavy guns firing.

Suicune started galloping. We must move fast. Only with Mew will you be able to stop the evil ones!
    Last edited by Bulbajer; 16th October 2012 at 04:53 PM.

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Chapter 19

The blast doors in the MID had been surrounded for almost 45 minutes before Team Coeus received any clue as to what the trapped researchers and trainers below were doing. The clue came very suddenly.

The doors burst open, allowing out three Flamethrowers from Liza's Charizard. Before they knew what hit them, most of the surrounding troops were suddenly on fire. They retreated immediately while their comrades outside the building jumped up and prepared for battle.

The MID defenders hurried out of the stairwell, ready for the final confrontation. This was it; everyone from the bunker below was participating this time. Alakazam protected the entire group, altogether about a hundred humans and a few dozen Pokémon, with its psychic Barrier.

Because the defense force was well inside the building, tank shells, Pokémon attacks, and even bullets had little effect. Mordred watched from his tent. He knew that despite the building's strong defensive structure, it would not hold up very well to multiple explosive attacks. Since bringing down the building (and crushing the defenders and, more importantly, evidence of Mew) was out of the question, Mordred knew that the artillery and tanks would have to be put aside. He radioed Hadis orders, and soon, soldiers and Pokémon from all of Team Coeus began advancing on the building.

The defenders saw the armies approaching and took cover behind whatever they could find - piles of rubble, columns, even a giant food storage unit that had been blasted from the cafeteria to the blast door area. Thankfully, the enemies closing in had put aside any guns - now that victory was within their grasp, Team Coeus wanted the researchers alive. Alakazam's Barrier faded away; now that bullets and explosives were out of the picture, it would be more useful fighting.

For the first five minutes, the MID held out pretty well. Some Pokémon launched attacks from behind the makeshift barriers, while others provided cover for the Chansey darting to and fro among the defenders, healing cuts and bruises. Then Danny's Scyther took a Fire Blast, fainting. Danny threw himself from cover to get Scyther, but a Hydro Pump broke his arm in the process. Danny's other Pokémon recovered Danny and Scyther. Soon after, one of the researchers collapsed unconscious after a Shadow Ball hit him in the chest.

The defenders' morale was slowly, but steadily, falling, but then something happened that distracted everyone, on both sides. Large cracks began appearing in the ceiling and walls. The amount of dust and rumble swirling about increased. The building was collapsing.

Team Coeus made a hasty retreat, despite shouts from Hadis to advance no matter what. Temporarily free from attack, the defenders gathered, unsure of what to do, and then Sahil took charge. "Everyone, out of the building! This way! NOW!" Sahil lead them all north, with Chansey pushing stretchers for the wounded. As the last occupant made it safely out, the MID building's creakings stopped suddenly. It gave a sigh. And then it fell, sending dust and smoke high above the treetops.

The Team Aqua soldiers whom the defenders had followed out of the building seemed to remember that a battle was going on, and resumed the attack. Some Team Rocket soldiers from the west and Team Magma soldiers from the east rounded the corners of the heap of rubble that used to be a laboratory; others, with Team Mordred soldiers from the south, began climbing the rubble to attack from above. With no cover this time, the defenders were doomed. Alakazam bravely held its Barrier much longer than anyone thought possible, but then it broke. But by then, the situation had changed slightly.

Team Coeus suddenly came under attack from the air. Gary Oak and Sabrina, Gym Leader of Saffron City, swooped in riding Gary's Skarmory, which launched several Hyper Beams at the villains before landing. Gary winked at Daisy, Violet, and Lily. "Didn't think I'd let ya get hurt, did ya?" The girls squealed.

Before Team Coeus had time to react, more newcomers, this time Lance of the Elite Four and Whitney, Gym Leader of Goldenrod City, flew over the heads of the bewildered armies on Lance's Dragonite. As he dismounted, Lance cried out to Officer Jenny, "Reporting for duty, Officer!" Realizing that reinforcements had arrived, the defenders gave a cheer and resumed fighting.

Mordred began to get mildly worried. Sabrina's Psychic Pokémon had created a bigger, stronger Barrier, protecting the defenders from long-range attacks. The powerful new allies of the defenders were intimidating Team Coeus to the point that the soldiers all dived for cover. Mordred watched, trying to control his temper, as Hadis urged the soldiers on, even picking up some of his own men and throwing them out from behind the trucks and tanks they were hiding behind. And then, Team Aqua fled.

He could just barely see the black-white-and-blue uniforms disappearing in the trees. No doubt heading for their fleet up north. The fact that Team Aqua had backed out wasn't that surprising to Mordred. Because of Archie's reliance on sea power, he had sent few ground units to battle the MID, instead keeping his submarines and destroyers at anchor off the coast, keeping an eye out for intruders. Now that the battle had grown dirty, the Aquas on the ground had given up. Mordred had known in the back of his mind that Team Aqua would be the least useful ally in the mission. Nevertheless, the loss had a profound effect on him as he sat in his tent, watching the battle. He had never expected the battle to go so badly. He had wanted a quick, clean conquest. Now, the MID building was destroyed, and its defenders even stood a chance at winning.

"How could this happen..." Mordred mumbled to himself.

Meanwhile, the battle raged on. Ritchie and Zippo, his Charmeleon, had just been blasted off their feet by a Fire Spin when a voice cried out from the south. "Ritchie!" Ash Ketchum charged over the hill of rubble, his Pokémon at his side, to Ritchie's aid. Close behind were Misty and Brock, with their Pokémon, a Suicune, and... Mew.

The battle skidded to a halt as everyone realized that the reason for the entire conflict was flying towards them. No more legends, no more obscure sightings. Mew was real. It flew right to Nurse Joy, Chansey, Blissey, and the wounded, whom the Psychic Pokémon were doing their best to protect. It relieved them of their duties, surrounding the noncombatants with a giant Pink bubble. The strongest Pokémon attacks pinged harmlessly off it.

Ash, Misty, and Brock were spread out among the defenders but quickly regrouped when Brock called out. Team Magma had launched a Roman-style offensive, with tanks, soldiers, and Pokémon lined up in tight rows, advancing slowly. The strategy was working; the defenders fell back, unable to stop the advance. Ash, Misty, and Brock tried to think of something. But what?

"Team Rocket's doing the right thing again!!!" Ash whipped his head around in time to see Jessie, James, their Pokémon, and Meowth leap from the top of the rubble heap and dive into Team Magma's formation. The front rows kept advancing, but when their comrades failed to stop the Team Rocket trio from disrupting their rows, the advance came to a stuttering halt. Ash stood there, watching, for a moment; after all, you don't see Team Rocket kicking butt every day. But then he came to his senses and fought on, confidence growing by the minute.

After a few minutes, an explosion came from somewhere in the tightly-packed rows of Magma forces. Frightened shouting could be heard, and tank crews started abandoning their tanks - and not a minute too soon. The first explosion set off a chain reaction. Entirely disoriented, Team Magma retreated, leaving the Coeus alliance down to two Teams.

James came running from the swiftly deforming Magma column, holding a fainted Weezing. "Weezing, dear, I'm so proud of you! Quite a brilliant Explosion attack! Just wait until the Boss finds out you beat those no-good rotten Hoenn-region crooks!"

Meowth hurried to keep up. "Just wait 'till the Boss finds out we're on the wrong side!"

"WILL YOU TWO PLEASE STOP YABBERING AND LEND A HAND?" screamed Jessie, whose hair was smoking.

The battle was far from over, though. Suicune fired an Aurora Beam at a bunch of Rocket soldiers. Suddenly Entei and Raikou were beside Suicune, using Fire Spin and Thunder respectively. Soon, though, the three Legendary Beasts became occupied with dealing with the tremendous amount of Team Mordred soldiers and Pokémon. Ash and Pikachu rode Charizard around, shocking enemies and calling encouragement to his Pokémon. Bulbasaur and Bayleef stood back to back, Razor Leaves and Vine Whips flying everywhere. Heracross held Squirtle over a bunch of hostile Fire Pokémon and dropped it; Squirtle's spinning Hydro Pump dampened the Fire Pokémon's spirits. Totodile and Cyndaquil ran about, biting and burning unfortunate Team Coeus members. Staryu, Starmie, Corsola, Geodude, Onix, Crobat, and Forretress formed a line and blocked a bunch of Mordred soldiers from reaching Duplica and Harrison, who had just been wounded. Even Togepi helped out by using Metronome on an armored personnel carrier and dangling the enormous vehicle above the heads of some Rocket soldiers.

Despite the superior talent of the defenders, the sheer number of Team Rocket and Team Mordred soldiers began to overwhelm them. To make things worse, the heap of rubble was beginning to catch fire. Some Team Coeus Pokémon launched attacks from a safe distance; explosions rocked the defenders, throwing people and Pokémon everywhere. It wasn't until Mewtwo arrived that the tides really turned.

A/N: Sorry if it sounds a little hectic.

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Chapter 20

I am... Mewtwo.

I am unlike other Pokémon. This... is my story.

A team of scientists working to create the world's most powerful Pokémon discovered a fossilized remnant of Mew, and from it, created me. Soon the Team Rocket leader who had ordered my creation trained me to control my abilities. But he viewed me solely as his personal property.

After destroying his laboratory, I created my own. I lured Pokémon trainers to my island fortress to create a powerful new breed of Pokémon and wreak vengeance on humans. I seized their Pokémon and cloned them, as I had been cloned from Mew. But soon, I encountered my nemesis.

A great battle ensued, a battle to determine who would rule: the Pokémon born into this world, or the clone Pokémon created in mine. The clashes were brutal, and as Mew and I summoned all of our strength for one final confrontation, the young trainer cried out for the fight to cease.

His selfless actions puzzled me; he was a human who valued all Pokémon, whether born or created. Our battling ceased. Finally my eyes had been opened, as had my heart. The Pokémon clones and I left to find a place where we could live in peace, and I used my Psychic powers to wipe out the memory of our struggle. Now I was forgotten by all... but the one who created me...

Giovanni found our hiding place and threatened the lives of my clone brethren. I had to sacrifice to him myself in order to save them, but once again the trainer Ash and his friends intervened to free me and stop Team Rocket. The other clones went their separate ways, free to live their lives, while I roamed the world, searching for the meaning of mine. I have had many experiences; encounters with humans and Pokémon, friendly and unfriendly. With the humans I always made sure to disguise myself.

And so, this is how I have lived my life since the last time I saw Giovanni.

Now, forces that I do not understand are compelling me to go to a certain place. As I fly over the ocean, I see cities and bogs up ahead, with mountains in the distance. The bogs give way to jungle. The occasional sky-blue stream catches my eye.

I've been here before...

And now I know that I will find Mew.

A column of smoke rising from the jungle canopy draws me near. Closer, closer... I see it all. Mew. Ash. Fighting. A burning building... and next to the burning building is him. Giovanni. I cannot see him, but I know he is there. I know now what I came here to do. My blue Barrier announces my presence to those who have not seen me land amidst the flames.

I... am Mewtwo.

I do not yet know my purpose in life. But I do know that it does not include allowing tyrants to have their way.

The explosion was furious. Blue beams of energy shot out in all directions. People on both sides screamed. And as Giovanni watched his screen, a tiny cog in the back of his mind clicked into place - but only for a millisecond.

Mewtwo waved a paw; the flames surrounding him vanished. He turned, his eyes filled with blue light. Small explosions ripped through the Team Coeus lines. He looked up. All of Team Rocket's helicopters suddenly started spiraling slowly down to Earth, their crews floating magically out, too dumbfounded to even struggle. He looked down. Team Mordred's trucks and armored vehicles, which by now were almost all empty, began disappearing in tiny novas of fire, smoke, and metal.

The defenders stopped fighting and watched in awe. Their enemies were fleeing en masse. Hadis screamed at his terrified troops to stand their ground. He even picked up an abandoned MP40 and fired a burst at the backs of the retreating crowd. One of his own troops fell, badly wounded.

Suddenly Hadis was floating. Mewtwo was holding him in a Psychic grip. He struggled and grunted, but Mewtwo took the gun away, saying in a quiet telepathic voice to the iron-fisted officer, "This belongs in a museum."

Then the Genetic Pokémon threw his arm back with a violent fury that reminded Ash of just how angry Mewtwo could get. Hadis shot upward like a rocket, high into the sky, arching away and disappearing, all the while bellowing his final orders: "Killllllllll!"

It looked like the battle might be coming to an end. Then something awful happened. Misty saw a wounded scientist and ran to help, but a Team Rocket officer appeared from behind a burning vehicle and grabbed her. Misty screamed. Ash wheeled around, seeing her struggling to escape the grip of the officer. The man was big, with powerful muscles. His face looked like a mask, but his eyes burned with malice. He laughed as she struggled... and pulled out a knife.

"Hey, kid," he said jeeringly to Ash. "Run, unless you want to end up like your girlfriend." He brought the knife to Misty's throat.

A/N: To make up for the short length of this chapter, I will post the next one in a few days instead of a full week.

Happy Halloween! *muhahaha*

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

A/N: Remember way back in the prologue when I said that there would be one chapter making reference to movies 1-8? Well this is it. If you haven't seen all those movies (up to and including Lucario and the Mystery of Mew), don't worry, you won't miss much of the plot.

Remember, since this story takes place after the Johto saga but before the Hoenn saga, the events in movies 6-8 have not happened yet.

Chapter 21

At that moment, three trainers at the Old Shore Wharf in Kanto were getting to know each other.

"So, um, Neesha, what brings you here?" asked Corey as he and the others sat at a table in the Pokémon Center.

"Now that you mention it," replied Neesha, "I don't really know. I just felt drawn here. I was here once, a long time ago."

Fergus gave her a sort of disbelieving look. "Really? Same. Funny enough... I'm pretty sure that time, I just felt drawn here too."

Corey laughed. "Wow. This is so weird. Do you think... we might know each other? I don't remember, but..."

Fergus completed his sentence. "You just have that feeling."

Neesha was about to agree when a woman in a blue dress and with long blue hair entered the Center and walked hurriedly up to Nurse Joy. After a brief conversation, Nurse Joy took out a microphone and spoke through the public intercom. "Your attention please. Harbormaster Miranda has just informed me that a storm has come up out of nowhere. I'm afraid that the nature tour of New Island will have to be cancelled."

It was another bright and beautiful day on Shamouti Island. Carol sat with her friend Maren, drinking some delicious juice derived from the island's tropical fruits.

"I'm so glad I got to see the Legend Festival again," Maren was saying.

Tobias, one of the elders of the island, joined them. "I never get tired of it. Well, maybe the costume bugs me a bit, but it's worth it!" he laughed.

Carol nodded. "It certainly is. Tell me, Melody," she said, turning to face the teenage girl sitting on a window not far from them, texting. "What did you think of this year's Festival?"

Melody didn't look up. "Mm. It was good, I guess." She paused. "Though I have to say my favorite is still that time I saved the world."

"You and your friends saved the world," reminded Carol.

"Whatever," dismissed Melody with a smirk. "That reminds me. I ought to, like, find out where that Ash Ketchum lives and blackmail him into coming back here for next year. The Chosen One this year - what was his name? Travis - he was okay... but Ash was cuter, don't you think?"

Carol snorted, while Maren laughed and Tobias smiled. Maren sat back, going through her memories of that especially exciting Festival. "That time was fun. A bit scary, with all the crazy weather, but fun."

Melody was about to wonder aloud whether Ash and Misty had finally bowed to fate and gotten together when a distant boom of thunder distracted her. "Look!" She pointed towards the dark clouds gathering swiftly on the horizon. "Speaking of crazy weather..."

Melody wasn't the only one in the area to notice the sudden storm. Articuno circled the tall mountain on Ice Island, watching the approaching clouds. To the east, it saw Moltres doing likewise on Fire Island. To the west, Zapdos could not be seen however. Probably being moody again.

Deep down near the ocean floor, Lugia opened its eyes.

Slowking watched the storm too. It sighed. "It looks like I should have gotten those pants after all..."

The beautiful town of Greenfield, Johto, was also aware of some bad weather.

Molly Hale was playing with her Teddiursa in the garden of the Hale mansion when her mother called her in. "Molly, time to come in, darling!"

Molly and Teddiursa reluctantly headed in. "Aw, Mom, why?"

Her father Spencer answered for her mother. "There's a storm coming in, honey. Don't want to get you all wet!" He imitated a storm cloud and chased his giggling daughter upstairs. After coming back downstairs, his wife shot him a knowing glance.

"Something's wrong, am I right?"

Spencer nodded. "Well, not exactly wrong... just unusual. Come with me to the lab and I'll show you."

They walked through the mansion until they arrived in the room with all the computers. Spencer's assistant Schuyler stood with a few other lab assistants around one of the screens. They greeted the Hales and moved aside. Mrs. Hale recognized a live video feed of the Unown ruins.

Spencer didn't take his eyes away from the screen. "No change?"

"None, Mr. Hale," replied Schuyler.

Mrs. Hale's brow furrowed. "What's this about, Spencer?"

"You know the ruins give off varying levels of psychic energy. Well, for about half an hour now, our sensors haven't picked up anything. The Unown appear to have... gone quiet."

The air whipped by the Suicune, causing its mane to ripple like a flag. It gazed from the peak of the mountain over the forest that surrounded the town of Arborville. Suicune watched the tiny green shape flying above the trees. Celebi, too, knew something was wrong.

In Arborville, Diana called down to her grandmother Towa from the tree house. "Grandma, there's going to be a storm! Looks pretty bad."

Mr. White called across from his house. "Yeah. I'm gonna go tell the other villagers."

Giving up gardening for now, Towa slowly straightened her back, wincing. She had already sensed the bad weather. To confirm her suspicion, a pair of Furret scurried through the grass and into a hollow in one of the trees. When it came to natural occurrences, Pokémon knew better than anyone whether to hide or not.

To any tourist, Alto Mare looked exactly as it was supposed to look. But seasoned residents could tell something was amiss. Lorenzo and Bianca had just left the library when a girl identical to Bianca except for the missing beret ran up to them.

Lorenzo was surprised. "Latias, you know you shouldn't be seen next to Bianca when you're in human form. People will start to ask questions."

Latias ignored him, which was very unusual for the Eon Pokémon. Instead, she tugged at Bianca's hands and pointed at the canal.

"What is it, Latias?" Bianca asked, peering at the canal. "Are you trying to tell us that a storm is coming? We know that already."

But Latias continued pointing at the water. Finally Lorenzo and Bianca walked up to the edge to get a closer look. After a minute, Lorenzo grunted. "You know what? The water Pokémon are acting strangely. Usually, when there's a storm, they don't react much. Unless it's really a bad one, they don't mind it at all. But now..."

Bianca realized what Lorenzo was talking about. The Pokémon had disappeared completely from the canal. "Oh, Latias," she whispered, "what's happening?"
    Latias looked just as confused as Bianca, but even more worried. She glanced in the direction of the storm clouds.

Absol's cry echoed through the valley of Forina. The sound bounced off pillars, flew over trees, and tickled the canyon walls. It was so loud that Diane and Butler hurried out of the cave.

Butler's brow furrowed. "What was that?"

"It sounded like a Pokémon crying out," said Diane. "Do you think there's trouble?"

"Maybe," replied Butler, as he watched Flying and Dragon Pokémon taking to the skies en masse. "For now, though... let's keep looking."

Tory Lund sat on the top of a hill. The wind that powered LaRousse City gently buffeted the young boy's hair as he gazed at the picturesque scene below him. The early morning sun bathed the park in gold. A man with a large case sat down on a nearby park bench and stretched. Tory smiled. He really loved it here.

Then a sudden movement caught his eye. Below, two small mouse-like Pokémon emerged from a grove of trees, chasing each other across the grass. Tory tensed a bit, but soon relaxed; the Pokémon weren't coming near him. The one being chased, Plusle, stopped when it almost tripped over a plastic bottle someone had carelessly left behind. "Pluh, pluh!" it cried out in alarm. Tory grunted to himself. Littering was highly frowned upon in LaRousse. The other Pokémon, Minun, examined the bottle and began motioning to its friend. "Minuh, minuh!" Then the two started nudging the bottle around for fun. This made Tory smile again. He didn't like admitting it, but he liked Pokémon - as long as they kept their distance.

After a while, Plusle and Minun lost interest in their game and ran along the path downhill. Tory was about to get up to put the bottle in a recycling bin when another Pokémon showed up. This one, Munchlax, walked slowly and steadily. Tory heard a sound; the man with the case had opened it and taken out a large, funny-looking, funny-sounding instrument called a bassoon and started playing. Amused, Tory watched the Munchlax move along in time to the music. [A/N: The music is Munchlax's theme you hear in Destiny Deoxys] It noticed the bottle lying on the ground. After failing to get it to yield any liquid, Munchlax sighed and approached a nearby recycling bin. Stopping about ten paces away, it considered something. Then it jumped, tossing the bottle towards the bin.

Unfortunately, Munchlax do not make very good jumpers. The Big Eater Pokémon rose only a few inches off the ground before throwing the bottle. The momentum from the throw caused it to tumble forward, landing smack on its belly. And the bottle soared in an arc towards the bin, activated the motion-sensor, opened the bin... and ricocheted off the side.

The music stopped. For a few seconds, Munchlax remained motionless, flat on its face. Tory thought worriedly that it might be hurt; if so, he wouldn't know what to do. But then the music resumed, and Munchlax got slowly up, turned, and continued on its way. Only to pause again a moment later, seemingly hanging its head in shame.

Tory suppressed a laugh. Just then, a couple of block bots zoomed into the park. One of them approached Tory with a map of the city on its screen. "Public service notice. Public service notice," it stated. "Storm approaching. High winds expected. Indoor shelter recommended. Thank you." With that, it zoomed off, searching for the next nearest citizen.

The Mew that lived in the Tree of Beginning sighed. Not much to do today. The people of Rota were mostly indoors. The Palace of Cameran wasn't holding any special event. The Pokémon residing around the area all seemed to be busy. Oh well. Just flying around is always fun. So that's what Mew did, until it noticed a change in nature that Pokémon all over the world were noticing.

A/N: Sorry for the unequal attention given to the movies. I like some better than others :P

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Chapter 22

He brought the knife to Misty's throat.

Ash's heart stopped. No one else seemed to see the officer; they were all engrossed in their own battles. Mewtwo was looking the other way. Pikachu was protecting Togepi. It was just him. Ash Ketchum. The only witness to the murder of the beautiful girl and wonderful friend he knew as Misty.

He felt powerless. But he lunged anyway.

Taken aback by Ash's sudden movement, the officer stopped the slicing motion with his knife a hairsbreadth away from Misty's neck. Ash's outstretched fingers knocked the knife out of the would-be murderer's hands. The officer growled, tightening his grip on Misty. "Why you little-"

Those were the last coherent words he spoke.

At that moment, everything became bathed in red light. Ash looked around to see the source of the light and saw a red shape in the sky. The shape descended rapidly until the Pokémon became clearly visible.

Ho-Oh. The very same Legendary Pokémon that Ash had seen on the first day of his journey; the very same Rainbow Pokémon that Morty had described to Ash and his friends way back in Ecruteak City. The magnificent bird flapped its wings, sending small shock waves in every direction. It came to rest above the heap of rubble, hovering and flapping slowly.

No one spoke or moved. Then Ho-Oh turned its head slowly to stare at the Team Rocket officer. A moment paused before anything happened, and when it did, somehow, Ash knew what was coming.

The officer, frozen in fear and awe, lifted slowly off the jungle ground, freeing Misty. He levitated towards Ho-Oh, with the Rainbow Pokémon maintaining strict eye contact. Five seconds passed as the officer looked into the face of Ho-Oh. Nothing in the bird's expression changed, but the man's eyes widened slightly. Then, Ho-oh flapped its wings harder, rising above the trees, the frozen officer with it. All of a sudden it stopped. Everyone else jumped as the "voices" of the three Legendary Beasts intoned as one: You, who has gone unpunished for his crimes, you, who is ancestor of this conflict, you, who would commit murder so easily. Your time has come. There is no mercy for you.

The officer couldn't see the Beasts, but he could obviously hear them. His eyes widened even more, and he started screaming - but only briefly.

Suddenly the sky was burning. A vortex of flames whipped around and around above the stupefied onlookers. It was a fire devil - a tornado composed of fire. The sound was like none other Ash had ever heard before. He couldn't describe it if someone asked him, but I, the author, can, so I will describe it for you, but it will take some work of your own. Imagine one of the largest aircraft in the world, such as the An-225 or the C-5 Globemaster. You may need to Google this. Imagine what it would sound like to witness a low flyover by one of these planes. If you have trouble imagining it, there are plenty of YouTube videos. Okay, take that sound and save it in your memory. Now imagine someone blowing on the wood in a fireplace - the whoosh, the crackle. Save that sound as well. Now imagine you're on a beach and a huge wave comes in. Save the wave sound. Finally, combine the three sounds together, and you'll have the general idea of what Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire attack sounded like.

Strangely, the fire didn't seem to reach the treetops. The onlookers didn't even feel the heat that would normally emanate from such a huge blaze. One might come to the conclusion that the fire was an illusion, if one didn't see or hear the Rocket officer. He was visible only as a dark shadow through the flames. A high-pitched screech that sounded vaguely human barely made itself audible above the incredible sound of the fire devil. The shadow began to look less and less like a man. Ash felt his stomach liquidate, but he was too fascinated to tear his eyes away from the sight.

Then, as suddenly as it had started, Sacred Fire stopped. The red glow disappeared slowly, revealing Ho-Oh again. The Rocket officer was gone. The three Legendary Beasts bowed their heads in respect to their master. And a sober kind of peacefulness replaced Ho-Oh's grim expression.

At that point, Team Coeus collapsed. A few fled into the jungle; most others simply surrendered, faces white as chalk. Officer Jenny and her crew went around with handcuffs while the other defenders realized that they had won. Celebrations began, but died quickly as the number of wounded became obvious. Nurse Joy and her Pokémon were going crazy assisting the fallen on both sides. Ash saw a scared-looking but calm Chansey dressing the bullet wound of the Mordred soldier whom Hadis had shot. The Legendary Pokémon went about doing whatever they could for the wounded.

As Pikachu and Togepi rejoined their trainers, Brock walked up to Ash and Misty. Without exchanging words, they embraced each other, and were soon joined by all their Pokémon, even Misty's Horsea, which didn't like being out of water. Onix encircled them all, a happy bundle of beings grateful to be alive.

The battle was over. Mordred knew this. But Mordred wasn't done.

Mew was flying from one injured Pokémon to another, trying to heal with its Psychic powers, when it happened. A man stepped out of the shadows and aimed what looked like an oversized pistol directly above himself. The device shot out a disc of red energy, which quickly fell, bending and expanding in all directions so that it became a hemisphere. The people and Pokémon around the area turned to see the red dome of energy enclosing two figures - the man, and Mew.

All activity stopped. Mewtwo turned furiously in the direction of the dome as Mew bumped into the energy field and recoiled in pain. The latter could not escape, and the former didn't seem to be able to make the energy field go away. Before Mewtwo could try again, the man in the dome took off the hockey mask he had worn.

Ash ran towards the dome, shouting, "Mew! Who are you, and what do you want with Mew?"

The color of the energy field made it difficult to distinguish features on the man, but it was not difficult to hear him. "I," he announced to everyone without moving his eyes from Mew, "am Mordred. Before I do what I have wanted to do for nearly all my life, I think I owe you all an explanation." He paused, never looking away from Mew. "My life's ambition has been to find Mew, one of the rarest and most powerful Pokémon ever. I was the mastermind behind the attack on the MID and accept full responsibility for the destruction of the building, the failure of the attack, and the damage to both humans and Pokémon. I also claim full responsibility for the success of the primary objective of my operation: finding and capturing the Pokémon you see here. Now, before you judge me," he continued in his emotionless voice, "I ask that you hear my reason. No doubt many of you know that the ancient Caribs told of a powerful weapon possessed by Mew. I believe they were right. But that is not why I'm interested in Mew."

He began walking around the dome, circling Mew. "Neither was I interested in it for the collectability or the monetary value. Tracking and capturing other Legendary Pokémon would have been easier and, ultimately, more financially rewarding. No, I am not your average villain. I am far from being the greedy monster that is Giovanni of Team Rocket, or the foolish cult leaders that are Maxie and Archie."

He stopped pacing around and began walking slowly towards Mew, who was hovering sadly in the middle of the dome. Mordred raised his voice ever so slightly. "My reason for capturing Mew goes back nearly forty years to a place not far from this very location. At this time, a youthful criminal organization active in the area decided that the village I lived in would be put to better use as a lifeless warzone."

Mordred pressed a button on his pistol-like device. A tiny beam of blue energy hit Mew, causing the New Species Pokémon to cringe slightly. Beams of Psychic energy shot out of Mew, through the red dome, and towards every human and Pokémon in the vicinity. Suddenly Ash was looking at a burning village. Screams could be heard, followed by laughter and yelling. Ash tried to look around to see if Misty and Pikachu were still with him, but he couldn't move. Then he realized that his body was small and pink. He was seeing through Mew's eyes.

Mordred's voice echoed through the memory. "They came during the night. First they sought out the mayor and his family; the mayor had recently cracked down on crime in the area, earning their resentment. Once they had dealt with him, they spread throughout the village, entering houses, dragging sleepy people from their beds, and setting everything on fire. Sometimes, just for kicks, they would set fire to the house while the family was still in it." Mordred made it sound like this part was amusing. "My family was one of those."

One of the houses in the distance partially collapsed, consumed by flames, belching smoke and sparks. "I awoke to the cries of my mother yelling, telling me to run. I heard the screams, saw the red glow of the flames, smelt the odor of everything, burning. So I ran. I jumped out my window onto a bundle of hay." At that moment, a young boy, maybe about ten, appeared in a window of the closest house and fell into the hay below him. "The sheer heat of the fire forced me from the building. I was about to go around to the front to see if my father, mother, older brother, and little sister had made it out, but then I saw men there. They were laughing, pointing at the front windows. One man even held out his arms, daring whoever he saw in the window to jump from the fire into the frying pan. I turned and did the only thing I could think of: run towards the jungle."

Suddenly Mew turned and started flying towards the jungle too. Ash could vaguely identify the emotion that Mew had been feeling at the time as... fear. Terrible fear. After a few moments, a cry came from the right. Mew turned to see the boy being chased by laughing and jeering men. One of the men called after the fleeing boy, "Hey kid, keep running, unless you want to end up like them..." He pointed back at the house, now completely engulfed in flames. With a surge of surprise and anger, Ash recognized that particular man as the Team Rocket officer who had tried to murder Misty. So it wasn't just attempted murder that condemned him to Ho-Oh's fires.

The boy, tears streaming down his face, chest heaving, seemed to notice Mew and called out. "Help me, please!" Mew slowed, gazing with horror at the poor boy. Ash gazed at him too. It was hard to imagine that this boy was the same man who had caused so much pain recently. "Please!" the boy sobbed again. "Help! Save them! Help!"

More screaming and splintering of wood could be heard. Mew turned to see the bonfire that had so recently been a village. The dazzling columns of fire contrasted with the blackness of the sky and cast shadows in every direction. Then one of the houses exploded, spurting fire and smoke into the air. For one tiny moment, the flames, twisting themselves here and there, resembled a giant letter. R.

Mew turned back to the boy. Ash could tell that the fear it felt was increasing every second. The boy was still running, still looking desperately at Mew, his face illuminated by the fire. But Mew turned and continued its own course to the jungle, away from the inferno, away from the horrible reality. The boy's cry of "Please!" echoed in Ash's head as the scene faded.

Returned to his own body, Ash took a look at Mordred. At first, he still seemed emotionless, but then Ash spotted tears running slowly from the man's open eyes. Despite the situation, Ash couldn't help feeling great pity for him. Everyone else looked sad too.

Mordred spoke. "I never found out exactly what happened to my family; I didn't realize that that gang had been Team Rocket until just now, when the same man who had haunted me secretly for so many years received his just desserts. But since the attack on my village, I have never given up hope on one thing: finding you." He indicated Mew with a nod. "So, my friend, how has life been?" His voice remained level, but Ash noticed a slight tremor in the man's body. "Since I've dedicated my life to seeing you again," Mordred continued, "I think I can afford to skip formalities and get right down to business."

There was a pause, and Ash sensed danger in the air. Whatever Mordred was planning to do with Mew, it wasn't going to be nice. Strangely, Mew didn't look very frightened, but rather, very sad. Tears began welling up in its huge eyes.

Finally Mordred asked a question, and when he did his voice came out quietly. "Why?" His tremors increased. "Why didn't you even try to help me?" The tears began streaming, his voice rising as his control finally, finally slipped. "WHY DIDN'T YOU HELP THEM?!!" Mordred was screaming for the first time in decades. "You are powerful, you could have SAVED them! They were HELPLESS!! They - they were my family..." his voice trembled and gave out. Mordred pointed a violently quivering finger at Mew. 'TELL... ME... WHY!?!"

A silence of about three seconds came and went before Mew answered. As with the Legendary Beasts, it spoke telepathically.

I was afraid.

It sank towards the ground.

I was afraid.

Its voice was small and child-like.

I WAS AFRAID!!! it suddenly shouted as it flopped on the jungle floor. Ash sensed anger in the shout, but not anger directed at Mordred. The fire, the screams, the big men with their big Pokémon... I didn't think I could stand up to them. I could have tried... but I didn't, it admitted softly. You're right. You're right. I could have saved them. But I didn't.

Misty suddenly gasped, causing Ash to break away from the captivating scene to make sure she was alright. She was pointing at the pistol-like object, which Mordred had discarded after showing everyone his history. Next to it lay a white capsule, about the size of a football, with a large red button on top. Ash tried to make out the black-and-yellow symbol on the side of the capsule. He could swear he'd seen it before. Maybe an O with a Y inscribed in it? No, more like a circle with three thick beams radiating from a small dot in the center... Radiating...

The universal symbol for nuclear radiation.

Mordred had a bomb.

A/N: A bit longer chapter, yes?

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Chapter 23

Soon everyone began to notice the football-sized instrument of ultimate destruction. Everyone but Mew. As the New Species Pokémon continued its long-overdue confession, Mewtwo reattempted to break the energy dome. Nothing happened. Not even Ho-Oh, its body glowing with Psychic powers no one even guessed it possessed, could shift the dome. Meanwhile, the captured Team Rocket and Team Mordred soldiers began crying out in alarm, begging to be taken as far aware from there as possible.

And because of my cowardice, continued a sobbing Mew, you lost the people who loved you and whom you loved back. And all I can say... all I can say, Mordred, is...

Mordred stopped trembling, straining with every atom of his existence to hear what Mew would say.

I'm sorry.

Everyone, even the panicking Team Coeus soldiers, stopped and stared. That was it. It was the most sensible thing to say, and yet it seemed so... unusual. Apologizing for causing a lifetime of pain with just those two simple words?

Mordred didn't move. He didn't appear to breathe. He watched Mew, the pain, anger, and sadness still clearly expressed on his face, as the rare and powerful Legendary Pokémon shook on the ground before him. Mew ignored the fact that an explosive - one powerful enough to wipe out all life within a few miles and devastate the country of Guyana – lay just a few feet from Mordred. It just cried.

No one moved for a good 30 seconds. Then, Mordred lowered his finger. He turned around. And slowly, he headed for the bomb.

Pikachu cried out and began zapping the dome with a Thunder attack. Immediately other Pokémon also attacked, desperately trying to stop Mordred from activating the bomb. As Mordred continued at a steady pace towards his device, every single person and Pokémon - even the defeated remnants of Team Coeus - attacked and threw themselves at the dome, which began to waver under the immense pressure. Mordred reached the bomb. Ash cried out. Mordred picked up the bomb. Ho-Oh cried out. Mordred brought his finger to the bomb's control panel. Mew cried. Mewtwo closed his eyes.

Mordred pressed a button.

The shield broke.

The blast could be heard miles away.

Ash's mind didn't know what was going on. A shockwave had knocked him onto his back, and a deafening sound filled his eardrums. He waited...

As the sound of the incredibly powerful energy shield being shattered echoed through the jungle, Mordred stood where he had been standing. The bomb fell out his hands and clunked to the ground. He hadn't detonated it. He had disarmed it.

Everyone else was too stunned to do anything. Mew was still there, still sobbing. Then Mordred walked slowly back to Mew and fell to his knees. He had no idea how to feel, if he would be able to feel at all. Mew looked up, tears still running; it got up and flew into Mordred.

It turns out Mordred could feel. He felt surprised.

I'm sorry, sobbed Mew.

Then Mordred's vision became clouded with his own tears. A thousand different emotions shone in his trembling face. Only vaguely aware of what he was doing, he put his arms around the small New Species Pokémon and did something he hadn't expected to do ever again: he hugged. And he cried.

It took a moment for everyone to realize that Mordred was no longer bent on suicidal revenge. Then they started crying too. Ash found himself embracing Misty, Brock, Pikachu, Togepi, and as many people and Pokémon as he could, crying not for himself, but for them. For Mordred. For Mew. For the wonderful tragedy that is life.

A/N: Really short, I know. Sorry. The story is drawing to a close :(

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Chapter 24

There was no more violence done that day. Officer Jenny had finally gotten in contact with the Guyanese government; Bell 412 and Bell 206 helicopters with the markings of the Guyana Defense Force soon began arriving, transporting wounded to the nearest hospital. Soon after, it became evident that the international community was aware of the conflict. American F-16 fighter jets and Japanese C-1 transport jets roared overhead. Reports came in regarding the surrender of Team Aqua's fleet up on the coast to an international coalition and the escape of Archie. There were even rumors that the flight home would be escorted by vintage A6M Zeroes and F4U Corsairs of the Kanto Security Administration. Jessie, James, and Meowth felt the urge to make a run for it with all the authorities around, but they stayed and helped too.

Of course, with all this attention, the Legendary Pokémon had disappeared. Raikou, Entei, and Suicune melted back into the foliage; Mewtwo, after a surprisingly pleasant conversation with Ash, Pikachu, and Meowth and a short nonverbal one with Ho-Oh, teleported away. And Ho-Oh itself took off in a flash of fire and rainbows. Its work here was done.

Ash and Misty sat, hand-in-hand, amidst their Pokémon. Together they gazed up at the blue sky, watching the clouds and the aircraft. But then Brock called to them. "Ash! Misty! It's Casey, come quick!"

The little purple-haired baseball fan lay unconscious on a stretcher, surrounded by Chansey. When Ash and the others got closer, they gave them room to see their injured friend. Ash's stomach lurched. Casey was covered in blood, a scar across her arm from shrapnel. Then Ash saw the bullet wound.

Nurse Joy stood by. "We think the bullet may have collapsed one of her lungs," she said sadly.

"No!" Misty gasped. The others (for the other MID defenders had also gathered around) whispered similar statements of denial. Casey couldn't die. Not Casey.

Then Casey opened her eyes. She saw her Pokémon and smiled weakly. "You... guys did... great," she gasped softly, struggling for breath. "Just... wait until... I tell my family..."

The chop-chop of a helicopter approaching became audible. Ash reached out and grabbed her hand. "Casey... you're... you're going to be alright." He tried to sound confident, but he knew Casey wasn't fooled.

Nevertheless, she grinned. "I know, Ash" Her voice was a whisper." The Electabuzz never give up." She closed her eyes again. As the chopping sound became louder, the Chansey prepared to load the stretcher onto the helicopter.

A/N: I'm so sorry for the over-a-year-long wait. I meant to write a chapter about Hadis' fate, but I lost inspiration and subsequently interest in this story. But I decided to finish it for Christmas... and then forgot to post here.

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokémon. Or "What is Love" by Haddaway.

Chapter 25

The sun touched the treetops in Pallet. A gentle breeze picked up, blowing leaves by the face of Ash Ketchum. He watched them tumble as he sat on the hill of Professor Oak's lab. Hearing Misty approach, he patted the ground next to him.

After a few moments of comfortable silence, Misty asked, "Anything in particular on your mind, Ash? Oh wait, you don't have a mind," she added grinning.

Ash smiled warmly at Misty before turning back to the view from the hill. "Nothing in particular. Just... thinking."

Misty's grin faded. "About Casey?"

Ash nodded.

Just then, they heard a shout from the lab. "NEVER PLAYED BASEBALL?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED BASEBALL?!"

Ash and Misty chuckled. "Well," said Ash, "I guess I shouldn't be worrying that much about her. The doctors said she would be fine, and considering how close she came to dying, she's made a great recovery."

"She sure has," agreed Misty. "Was there anything else bothering you?"

Ash hesitated, blushing.

Meanwhile, the party going on in the lab was in full-swing. Delia clapped her hands with delight. "Oh, I just knew having a party was a good idea! Nothing cures a little apocalyptic scare like some food and some friends."

Professor Oak took a sip of punch. "Indeed, Delia. I was really worried there for a few days, but those kids pulled it off - with a little help from my emergency network, of course. Who would have known - all this time, Mew's secret weapon was love?"

Tracey walked into the kitchen. "I still don't get that, Professor. Didn't the tablet you mentioned say that the Carib people tried to use Mew's weapon against the European invaders?"

Oak nodded. "Yes, Tracey. And presumably they did. They showed love in a time when they were filled with hate and despair. That love didn't save their existence, but love is a thing unto itself. It is the most powerful thing in the universe. Mew uses that power not just to try and help people, but for just for the sake of loving."

Tracey was truly awed by the Professor's wisdom, but then he caught another whiff of one of Delia's many pies. "We really can't thank you enough for your cooking, Mrs. Ketchum."

Delia blushed and waved it off. "Oh, thank you, Tracey, but it was nothing."

Just then, Daisy came running up behind Tracey. "Hey, Tracey, wait up! We have to, like, talk about our future!" Lily and Violet followed behind her, giggling uncontrollably.

Tracey blushed and looked for an escape route. "Uh, I gotta go! I'll see you later, Mrs. Ketchum, Professor Oak!" And the poor young man dashed off into another room, pursued by three of the four Sensational Sisters.

Most of the other guests were in the living room, where there were tables of food and drinks, as well as a boom box playing Haddaway's "What is Love". Gary was half-informing, half-boasting about his research to Sabrina and Whitney; Sabrina smiled and listened, occasionally watching Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar fly about the room, causing minor havoc, while Whitney seemed... lost. But not in a bad way. Lance and Danny were talking about their experiences as Elite Four Champion and Orange Crew member, respectively. Professors Katt and Chu, Seymour the Scientist, and Dr. Quackenpoker were examining some of Professor Oak's research which the Professor had lent them. Sahil and the Officer Jenny in charge of the Squirtle Squad discussed the differences between security in Kanto and in Guyana. Harrison chatted with Liza about training Flying and Dragon Pokémon.

Brock had somehow managed to get into a conversation with all four of Sakura's older sisters. The love-struck face was so genuine that the girls felt sorry for him. "But then," Brock was saying animatedly, "Team Rocket - you remember those three? Of course you do - broke through the roof and stole both of Brittany's Igglybuff. Both!"

"Oh my," cried Satsuki politely.

"Imagine that," added Koume and Tamao at the same time.

Brock didn't detect any forced sympathy or sarcasm. He just rambled on. "Yeah, and then Brittany and the others followed them, and guess who was left behind to entertain the crowd?"

Sakura, who had joined the group, raised an eyebrow. "You?"

Brock giggled, tried to turn the giggle into a manly laugh, stopped, and nodded. "Me! So there I was, on a stage in front of ten million people, and what do I do? I took out my handy-dandy maracas and gave the audience my Paradise Song! They loved it... at first..."

As the party continued, no one noticed three large potted plants sneak into the room, inconspicuously gravitate to the food table, quickly grab some items, and inconspicuously dash out the door. Once safely outside, Team Rocket took off their disguises and began hounding the stolen food and drink.

After swallowing a few grapes, James frowned. "Remind me why we had to steal that food in the first place. Didn't the twerps invite us to come?"
    "Yeah," agreed Meowth, "gettin' back here woulda been a lot easier if we'd been on dat plane!"

Jessie downed a can of root beer. "Don't you fools remember? We're criminals! We can't just join their party without doing anything wrong! It would be rude!"

"That's true," sighed James. "I just wish we could relax a bit. Hey, look a fortune cookie!" he added, picking up a small plastic wrapping with a fortune cookie inside.

Jessie grabbed it quickly. "Give me that! Obviously, it's for me." She opened the wrapper, broke the cookie, and absent-mindedly split it into three pieces. As Team Rocket chewed on the pieces, they all squinted at the tiny piece of paper that had fallen out. It read:

"Consume life well and it will taste better." On the other side, it read: "Learn Chinese! 你好,乱马! = Ni hao, Ranma! = Hello, Ranma!" Below that: "Lucky numbers: 0, 3, 16. Unlucky numbers: 2, 280."

All three sat staring at their fortune for a few seconds. Then Meowth spoke. "Youse two know what this means?"

Jessie and James shook their heads.

Meowth continued. "It means... that WE GOTTA CONSUME LOTSA STUFF!"

"Woooobbuffet!"

With that, the trio-turned-quartet descended on the pile of food. "Team Rocket's chowing down again!... mmm, hm, omnomgfh..."

Inside, Justin, Macy, Duplica, and Casey stood near a window. Duplica had just gotten Casey to calm down after the rabid Electabuzz fan had found out that Sahil had never played baseball. "Seriously, Casey," Justin was saying, "you kinda have to take it easy. You're still recovering."

Casey pouted. "Hmph. It'll take more than a stinkin' bullet to retire me!"

Duplica facepalmed. "You're just like Ashy-boy. Stubborn as a bull. Speaking of Ash," she added suddenly, grinning slyly, "how long do you guys think it'll take those two lovebirds to get together?"

Macy swallowed uncomfortably. "Which two lovebirds?"

Casey laughed. "Ash and Misty, of course! God, I wish they'd hurry it up and smooch."

"They are perfect for each other, aren't they?" remarked Justin, grinning. Then he saw the expression on Macy's face. "Oh, Macy, I'm sorry."

Macy shrugged, offering a sad smile. "Oh, well." Then she perked up. "I'm going to make sure that Misty treats my Ash well, or else!"

The conversation halted for a moment as everyone in the room turned to look at Brock, who was demonstrating his musical suave to the Kimono sisters. His dancing was accompanied by his Pokémon ... and Totodile... and Psyduck, for some reason. After everyone had said a silent prayer for Brock, the various conversations resumed.

Duplica had gotten an idea during the interruption. "Enough about Ash. What about you, Justin?"

Justin looked mildly bewildered. "What about me?"

"Oh, you know..." replied Duplica, wiggling her eyebrows. "Your... situation."

Casey caught on. She stepped closer to Justin. "Your romantic situation," she clarified, sighing on the word "romantic".

Justin sweatdropped. "Uhhhh..."

Even Macy joined in the fun. "You don't happen to have a girlfriend, do you, Justin?"

"Ummm... no?" Justin started retreating slowly, face turning red faster than his Charizard could fly.

"Oh, we can fix that," said Casey.

"We can fix that a lot," added Duplica.

The poor boy panicked. "Oh, look," he cried, pointing the window, "they're kissing!"

All three girls fell for the trick and looked out the window at Ash and Misty. Strangely enough, though... they were kissing. Justin was so shocked that he forgot to run away.

From the field near the house, the group of Pokémon playing outside also stopped and stared. Pikachu and Togepi chirped happily, while Bayleef seemed decidedly less enthusiastic. Jigglypuff took advantage of the distraction to doodle on Squirtle's shell.

Ash was not sure how it had happened. One minute, he was talking to Misty, the next, he was blushing, and the next they were gazing into each other's eyes, unconsciously leaning in... you know, all that fluffy stuff. How it happened didn't matter to Ash, though - just that it happened was enough.

They broke away from each other only when a flock of Pidgey flew overhead, calling softly. Ash smiled, then smacked his forehead. "That's another thing I've got to do before we go away again. I promised Pidgeot I would come back for it, but I never did. I suppose it's better off protecting the Pidgey and the Spearow, but still... I'd like to see it again."

Misty tossled his hair fondly. "You will, Ash. I'm sure of it."

Ash felt his soul begin to float, as if he were carried away by an ocean of clear, Cerulean blue water. But before they could kiss again -

"EEEEEEK!" Misty shot up in the air. When she landed, Ash saw the Caterpie on her arm. It must have creeped up without either of them noticing. Misty began waving her arm wildly, burrying her face in Ash's chest and screaming, "Get it off! Get it off! Get it off!"

Before Ash could act top calm her down, the poor Caterpie fell off her arm and lay there, eyes spiraling. "Ieeeee..." it croaked.

Ash couldn't help feeling more sorry for the Pokémon than for Misty. "Aw, look what you did, Mist... poor little guy, are you okay?"

For the umpteenth time, Misty wished she still carried her mallet around. "Ash Ketchum, you inconsiderate little-" She suddenly noticed that Ash seemed frozen in place, staring beyond the Caterpie. Then she noticed why.

Several other Caterpie and two Metapod sat in front of them. Above them hovered a Butterfree. A pink Butterfree. And beside that Butterfree-

"Butterfree!"

"Freeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Narrator: And so Ash and his friends come to the end of yet another journey. Many more certainly await them. But what about the villain in our story? For that, we take you back to Guyana…

The young girl clutched the money. "Thanks, mister!" With that, she skipped off to find her family, leaving behind a cloaked man bent, not with age, but with heavy conscience. Seeing a flash of pink in the distance, the man smiled. "Glad I could help, little sister. Glad I could help."

The End

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this, my first fanfic. When I originally wrote this, I had thought it would be my only fanfic, or at least my only Pokémon fanfic, so I tried to cram in everything I wanted to fit in a fanfic. My subsequent fics have been better, but I will always have a special place in my heart for this one.

Thank you for reading Weapon!

PS: the "learn Chinese" phrase is a reference to another excellent series, Ranma 1/2. The lucky and unlucky numbers are also references, as follows: 0 for Team Rocket's status, 3 for their number, 16 for the episode in which Ekans and Koffing evolved, 2 for the episode in which the trio met its fate, and 280 for the episode in which Arbok and Weezing leave.

~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12