TEEN: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream [Silver&Giovanni, Giovanni/Ariana] Ch.4 up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream [Silver&Giovanni, Giovanni/Ariana] Ch.4 up!

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream [Silver&Giovanni, Giovanni/Ariana] Ch.4 up!

Summary: “Son, it’s about time I tell you how I met your mother.” “What…? It’s 2 AM!” A SilverspawnShipping dish with a moderate amount of LOL sauce

Well, I come with one more fic. This one is a Giovanni/Ariana, assuming Ariana is Silver’s mother; it focuses mostly on the past, but whenever it isn’t, it has a lot of Giovanni&Silver family bonding time. I hope you enjoy it. EDIT: Also, it's manga-verse, with random spoilers up until the Emerald chapter.

The fic is also available at Fanfiction.net!

It's also at TV Tropes!

+-+-+

Index:
    -Chapter 1
    -Chapter 2
    -Chapter 3
    -Chapter 4 (August 2)
    -Chapter 5 (coming soon)

+-+-+

Award Wall

+-+-+

Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream
    Chapter 1 of ?
    By Kayi S. Rowling

+-+-+

Silver was tired.

And not just any “tired,” like when you walk a thousand miles, swim a hundred, or endure a three hours long class at school… No, Silver was tired beyond the unitalicized word; it needed a special emphasis to get through to the minds of the people.

After all, he had just battled another world-menacing danger, led by yet another adult with intentions that sounded fine when written on paper that were actually horrible in execution, who was followed by a horde of fans wearing the one uniform he dictated that was unfairly fanservicey for the girls—even when Silver was in the age of perking up at the sole idea of such outfits, like Gold did, he was far more concerned with the well-being of the world—, which did a mostly poor job at helping him along with his goals. It hadn’t been easy, but with the three new Pokédex holders of this other national region he had never heard of before—Mask of Ice wasn’t a master on geography, and he hadn’t encouraged them to study it either—, they had won in the end. Then, after a small celebration that was little more than a group-wide “hurray!,” everyone had gone back home by their own means.

Silver himself had just arrived to his new hideout. He had been forced to abandon the previous one after his father got tracked down, but there were advantages to this new place, like the fact that it was big enough to split up into three spaces: the front and two “bedrooms.” He recalled Honchkrow into his Pokéball and, dragging his feet, he headed for his own room. Pushing the curtain to the side with silvery eyes half-closed, the sole partial sight of his bed made a delicious shiver of delight run down his spine and a silly smile of relief appear on his lips. Afterwards, he pretty much collapsed on top of it and was out like a light for the night.

…however, as luck would have it, when Silver wanted to rest the most was the moment he wouldn’t be allowed to do so in peace. “Son?” It was barely a whisper at first, but now it was even accompanied by a firm hand on his shoulder that was insistently shaking it so he would wake up, and would simply not give up.

Silver groaned in reply after a while, as he turned his back on Giovanni to look at the digital alarm clock nearby. It read 2 AM. And he didn’t even remember when he had arrived, but he felt as if he had just fallen asleep and wasn’t particularly happy he had been interrupted in the middle of his well-deserved rest. Had he been dreaming, too? He couldn’t remember that either.

“Silver, there’s something I must tell you,” came the deep voice of his father from his side, and he felt the bed dip a little as the older man sat down.

“What?” he practically yawned, rubbing his still closed eyes. He just couldn’t open them for more than a second.

Giovanni sighed. It sounded unusually sad to Silver’s ears… What could it be?

Well, whatever it was, he would very much prefer it if it wasn’t anything about his father’s illness worsening, or his father abandoning him, or the previous coupled with going back to being the leader of Team Rocket. It was hard enough on Silver to lead those idiots back into the straight and narrow; he didn’t want the weakened Giovanni wandering around the place, sparking misguided loyalties or any sort of rebellion against the current administration.

“I want… I would like you to know about how I met your mother.” Oh, it wasn’t what he had feared…

...wait a minute. Silver had someone in this world to call a mother? How come nobody had mentioned such a person to him before? How come Giovanni had forgotten to give him such an important bit of information?

Because, really, the redhead wasn’t going to admit that it was his fault for not even thinking about his own female parental unit since he had found out who was his father.

Now, however, Silver was quite willing to hearing anything about her. He was even wide awake; still tired, but at least conscious.

…yet the fact that Giovanni had been so disturbed by the sole thought of her stuck to the back of his mind like chewed gum to hair as he turned around to face his father. Were his parents divorced? Had she gone off with another? Had she abandoned them early on? Or was she ill? In danger? Dead and cremated into mere ashes? Dead and six feet under? Dead and body still missing?

“Who was she?” Silver innocently asked, curiosity now eating his mind away.

Giovanni frowned and looked down at the floor. “I’d prefer not to tell you. You actually know her, and you see her too, but… I want to respect her decision.” So he knew her, and she had left them? The silver-eyed youth quickly trashed the mental image of his unknown mother’s funeral. “But I think that it’s important that you get to know some things about her. And I didn’t think it was fair to leave you asking yourself about her with no answers at hand,” he granted his son a weak smile, and Silver returned the gesture awkwardly.

“So…” the youth began, averting his eyes, “where did you meet her? And when?” he hastily asked, knowing those were other valid basic questions on the current topic of conversation.

“Well, I met her at the train station at Saffron City. And I was… younger back then,” Giovanni coughed, choosing not to state the obvious: his relationship with the mother of his only child had begun and developed rather quickly, a year before Silver was born. Maybe. “That day—”

+-+-+

—the sun had decided to keep itself hidden behind a thin veil of grayish clouds. It could rain at any minute, considering the staleness that could be felt on the air. But Giovanni was done with his business at Saffron City and was ready to take the train back to Viridian City; he didn’t want to tire his Pokémon to death traveling, after all, and the old train running on its rusted rails was the fastest—yet not safest—option around, too. “Perfect for the crazy young people,” had muttered the old man that sold him the ticket, “those whippersnappers that like risking their lives, instead of waiting for the bus.” Whatever!

After assuring himself for the tenth time that he had all his Pokéballs on him, as well as his closed suitcase at hand, Giovanni approached the line that was forming to get into the train. There was a lot of noise to his right, where a bunch of kids was chattering excitedly… A bunch of redheaded kids, an oddity to see around the mainland—Kanto and Johto—, chattering with a very discernible accent. They just had to be from the north, from Sinnoh or the surroundings.

Most people tore their curious gazes away after a quick glance in an act of what they considered to be politeness, but Giovanni thought was actually apathy. He was, meanwhile, having fun detecting the different tones of red hair in the group, and realizing he could name most after fruits and vegetables: carrot, persimmon, tomato, cherry, strawberry, chestnut… From orange to brownish red, they covered a very wide range with little under thirty heads. They were also all underage, but that was a lesser concern; it wasn’t unheard of that kids that young took the gym challenges or attempted a go at the league, after all, and everyone was just too “polite” to question the sanity of the legal guardians of those children. And, from what he could pick up from their overlapping voices, one among them was going after the gym badges.

“Well, then,” a feminine voice raised above the noise the others were making, quieting them down a bit, “I must get going now, before the train leaves…”

…these words caused the rest of the kids to whine and beg with even louder cries for their “older sister” or “older cousin” not to go, or to take them all with her, or to forget about Kanto and trying it elsewhere, and so on. But Giovanni couldn’t hear them clearly anymore: after the older girl had spoken and he had spotted her, he couldn’t force his full attention away from her.

However, he had to keep his mind clear: the girl was not beautiful—

+-+-+

“—isn’t that line just the most clichéd bit used in all romance novels? And shouldn’t you think of my mother as beautiful, at the very least?” Silver interrupted his father’s narration, ticked off by the incongruity.

“Have you ever read romance novels?” Giovanni countered.

Silver barely managed not to avert his eyes, but his blush still showed quite a bit. “Of course not!” he growled lowly. “But Blue does and won’t shut up about this and that, so I know about it, fine?”

His father gave him an incredulous yet amused look, but kept quiet about the issue. He actually changed topic next: “The truth is that your mother wasn’t beautiful back then, just very attractive and charismatic. Oh, well… If it bothers you that I don’t call your mother beautiful, let me rephrase it, then—”

+-+-+

—the girl was beautiful, with the cherry tone he had spotted earlier giving a vibrant and lively color to her long and wavy hair, and her thin yet dense eyebrows. Oddly enough, her eyes were also reddish in color, but this one was more on par with the color of a garnet and just as shiny as the gem. And all that red just made her creamy skin glow… He couldn’t see more of her from his current spot, though; all the other kids were blocking the view.

“Sissy, don’t leave me!” a little girl cried even louder than the others. And this one actually jumped and latched on to the beautiful redhead he had been watching intently for a while now; the young woman cringed at the impact and subsequent increased weight. “You can’t leave me, sissy!”

The older girl blushed to the roots of her hair until the colors blended. “I told you not to use that word, Mars! Be a good girl, and use the word sister next time, you hear?” she hissed, trying to pry the tiny arms of her little sister off her neck. “Come on! Let go! Or else, I won’t ever go back to Sinnoh!”

And the girl let go at last, pouting. “You promise to come back, then?” she begged… and so did the others, all turning identical starved-and-mistreated-Growlithe eyes on the eldest of the group, who could only sigh and smile at them in what she hoped was a comforting way.

“I do,” she promised, now tearing up as the rest of the group stubbornly refused to look at her with other eyes that didn’t pull on her heartstrings. “Just promise to be good, all of you…”

“Hey, what in the name of Arceus are you all doing?” came a yell from behind Giovanni, who was now fully facing the bunch of redheaded siblings and cousins that were giving each other their heartwarming good-byes. The horrified looks on the family group’s faces were all the information he needed to know that whoever was running toward them from behind him wasn’t someone they wanted around.

Without even glancing over his shoulder, he slowly lowered his suitcase, watching as the girl who had caught his attention hurried the other kids along, telling them to flee as she hugged and kissed the tear-stained cheeks of her little sister before letting go. The man that was after the group stumbled with Giovanni’s suitcase not a second later, falling flat on his face. Bewildered looks were on all the onlookers’ faces… and the redheaded family was gone, with the young woman fleeing to the nearest line’s beginning and climbing into the train in a haste, bothering more than a couple of people in the process.

As the man who had stumbled rose to his feet—Giovanni couldn’t help notice he had the same cherry-red hair as the girl… and the garnet eyes—, the young man could only discreetly reach for his suitcase and mutter a very fake-sounding “I’m sorry, sir.” The older man cursed at his luck, at the gone children, at the out-of-sight girl, and at him in quick succession. Glaring over his shoulder at Giovanni briefly, the man left his side, continuing to look around the station for the kids he was searching for. Whichever his reasons for doing it, legit or not, Giovanni had had some sort of fun slowing the man down and doing the kids a favor, so he got into the train without an inkling of guilt—

+-+-+

“—so, who was that man, anyways? Did you ever ask my mother?”

“Why, he was your grandfather!”

“Oh, dear…” Silver had had a feeling about it, but hearing it confirmed…

“Indeed. And I’m sure I must be the luckiest person on the world, because the next time we met, he didn’t remember seeing me before—”

+-+-+

—and Giovanni proceeded to look for the girl he felt entitled to say he had saved inside the train. He had to go several wagons back to find her, and he had even almost missed her entirely; if it wasn’t for her bright red hair, he would have. Regardless, he chose to sit behind her, taking out a newspaper from his suitcase and pretending to read. She was still hiding, after all, and he didn’t want to blow her cover by sitting on the same row as she was, which would have been sort of impossible, too, as she was occupying the floor space…

“Oddish,” she softly called her Pokémon, taking it out from its Pokéball, “we’re about to leave… Just, please; help me if dad finds me.” Giovanni heard her loyal Pokémon ruffling its leaves in agreement with her plan. “Thank you.”

Not a minute later, the redheaded man was at the door at the front, stomping all over the place and scaring the other travelers. The man found the girl pretty quickly, about to miss her in his haste; Giovanni folded his newspaper, dark eyes on the conflict happening before him. He’d have to step in… again.

You are coming back home!” the man yelled at the girl, reaching out for her long hair, but she used her arm for cover, and he pulled her up from it just the same. “How can you do this to us? Taming Pokémon goes against Arceus’ will!”

“But, dad…!” she whined, trying to push him away as he begun to drag her to the exit. Her Oddish was doing its best to run after them and help her; however, its legs were too short, and it couldn’t catch up…

Giovanni rose to his feet. “Beedrill!” The Pokéball hit the space right over the exit, ensuring the bee would block it. The man yelped, the girl shrieked, and both stopped; her Oddish finally got to stand by her, its leaves brushing her legs comfortingly. Barely keeping the self-satisfied smirk off his lips, Giovanni approached them from behind. “Sir, the train is about to leave, and I’m sure you didn’t get to buy a ticket for traveling. I don’t know how you do things over at Sinnoh, but here in Kanto, you can’t board any vehicle without a ticket. Don’t make me call the station’s security guards,” he told the man slowly, to counter his anger. And to calm the other passengers that could only stare at the three of them in bewilderment now, “politeness” forgotten.

If the older man kept glaring at him like that, his eyes would pop out. “Don’t be a pest, kid; my daughter doesn’t have permission to travel,” the man growled.

“Oh? How old is she?” For the very first time in the whole day, the girl looked at him with her garnet-like eyes over her shoulder… No, scratch that: she glared at him in indignation, a blush tinting her cheeks.

Her father frowned. “Fifteen.” Whoops, too underage! And such a perfect jail bait…

I’m nineteen!” Much better! But now, her eyes were burning a hole through the floor, and her face nearly glowed…

The fact that she had also yelled it added to her shame, so Giovanni let his hand fall on her shoulder and got a bit closer. And, in what he would come to consider his worst attempt at putting someone else’s mind in ease in his whole life, he whispered: “Could have fooled me. And don’t worry; I’ll keep the secret.” Her glare was oddly icy for such a warm color. He coughed awkwardly, and turned to address her father once again. “Sir, she’s old enough to travel on her own and without your permission, so, please, get off the train.”
    “You can’t tell me what to do, kid!” The man would simply not relent, pulling on his daughter’s arm again.

Giovanni’s Beedrill was all over the man’s face in less than a second, keeping him from advancing. The bee’s owner could see its thoughts painted all over his Pokémon’s face: “You’re getting into too much trouble for a mate, master.” At long last, the first trace of a blush appeared on his cheeks; after all, he cared far more about the opinions his Pokémon had than that of the millions of other humans in the world.

“Sir, she bought her ticket and she can travel on her own,” he began once again, not thinking clearly anymore after his Pokémon made him feel all flustered. “If you want to ensure she doesn’t do whatever you don’t want her to, then get off the train now and buy a damned ticket too.”

Her look was now one of bewilderment and disbelief. “Idiot!” she hissed, her voice low enough so that her father didn’t listen… but Giovanni did; very clearly, even, as if she had yelled into his ear.

However, the sole suggestion had hit the mark, and the man released his daughter’s arm roughly—she began rubbing her minutely bruised skin right afterward—before he glared intensely at the young man who was siding with his sinner of a daughter. “What she is doing is wrong. What you are doing is even worse. Arceus will punish you both one of these days—!”

+-+-+

“—let me guess…” Silver began, now yawning as his tiredness came back slowly. “When the time came, my grandfather told you both I was the punishment. Or that Mask of Ice taking me was.”

Giovanni frowned. “Your grandfather had issues, Silver, and a particularly bad memory too. No matter how many times we met after that, he would always forget my face, and he eventually forgot what your mother was doing at Kanto and they even began getting along again.”

Silver’s eyebrow went up as he rested his head on his hand. “That’s sad,” he deadpanned.

“Like you have no idea,” Giovanni replied with the same tone and equal sarcasm. He coughed a bit, and then he continued: “He left the train—”

+-+-+

—like a villain fleeing the scene in a bad theater piece. Someone else had called the security guards, Giovanni realized a second later as they went in and asked about the disturbance. They hurried after the man to try to catch him outside, and all was peaceful in the wagon once again. Except the other passengers were now looking at the pair of young trainers still standing, and at their Pokémon too, with great distrust and dislike. “Whippersnappers,” an old woman hissed. Giovanni was starting to hate that word.

Sighing, the redheaded girl pulled out her Oddish’s Pokéball. “Mission accomplished, Oddish; we’re staying,” she whispered kindly as she recalled her Pokémon. Then she turned to look at the young man behind her, and her softened glance began icing over as she glared at him. “Get out of my way!” she growled all of a sudden, before she pushed past him to go pick a new seat far away from their original spot, crossing her arms and legs once she sat down. Now he had a very bad feeling that he had actually offended her by having interfered.

Shrugging, he went back to his own seat, picking up the newspaper he had dropped so he could fold it and put it away—it was the oldest newspaper currently in his possession, and he had been “reading” it upside-down too—, trying to cheer himself up after that disheartening show of ingratitude. She had certainly not asked for help, but…

“Thanks for making my father stumble out there. I owe you one.”

Giovanni nearly jumped out of his skin as he heard the girl’s voice right behind him; she had sneaked in without making a sound, after all. Looking over his shoulder, he noticed her face was of a luminescent red color up to her hair’s roots and that she was stubbornly averting her eyes. “You’re welcome,” he practically croaked, not knowing what else to do or say.

An awkward silence ensued between them, right before the train’s whistle deafened them all and began its shaky march to Viridian City’s own train station. She barely managed to stay upright by grasping the back of his seat, while he actually fell back onto it. He couldn’t help chuckling and turning his dark eyes at her; she tried to remain impassive—regardless of her bright blush—but in the end she conceded him an amused little smile.

“You can sit here with me if you want,” Giovanni suggested, moving over to the window’s side along with his closed suitcase.

Her frown wasn’t even half-serious. “Don’t try anything funny,” she warned him, accepting his invitation just the same. Again, she crossed her arms and legs as soon as she was seated. However, she wasn’t about to close up, as her pose suggested: “You know? I’m going to challenge the Kanto gym leaders.”

His eyebrows went up. “Really?” She nodded. “And you’re planning to challenge the leader at Viridian first?”

She nodded again, quite eagerly. “Yes. I even have a type advantage against that gym’s Pokémon. I heard they specialize in ground types. If that’s so, then it’ll be easy as cake!”

Oh, she had no idea… At all. “You think so?” he asked, unable to keep the smirk off his face. “I’ve heard they’re pretty strong over there. It’s not a gym you challenge until at least winning a couple of badges elsewhere, they say.” Leaning toward her as if confiding a secret, he whispered: “The Viridian gym leader remains undefeated since he was given the job; you should reconsider…”

She looked at him skeptically. “You’re joking, aren’t you?” she chuckled, her garnet eyes searching the truth in his own. “There’s no way someone that powerful exists.”

“Just take care of yourself and your Pokémon, then,” Giovanni told her. “I’m not warning you in vain, I hope.”

“Don’t worry, I got it!” she replied, winking—

+-+-+

“—were you the gym leader back then?” Silver interrupted.

“I had been the leader since I was nine; and before me, there wasn’t even a gym in Viridian City.” Talk about an ego booster.

The redheaded youth sighed. “And did you tell my mother that you were the leader?”

“No, I didn’t. I didn’t want her to find a reason to distrust me right after I managed to make her feel safe and comfortable,” Giovanni explained. “We continued our journey that way, ignoring who the other was…”

“Wait, you didn’t even ask for her name?” Silver nearly yelled at his father in disbelief.

Giovanni chuckled, reaching out to ruffle his son’s hair, the same color as his mother’s. “No, I didn’t.” The same answer. “I preferred to remain anonymous, and if I had asked her for that information, she’d want to know my name too.”

“You could have lied!

“Silver, I had been hiding behind an upturned, incredibly old newspaper just a while back; I wasn’t thinking straight with your mother nearby!” Giovanni defended himself, blushing considerably. It was photo-worthy, if only for the fact that he rarely looked like that…

Silver finally gave up, smirking. “So it was love at first sight?”

His father turned his whole body to the side, too flustered to face his son. “Your mother and I eventually arrived to Viridian City, and we split up at the train station,” he changed the topic, back to his story, “and even when she said she’d challenge the gym right away, I didn’t see her until the following week—”

+-+-+

“—boss, there’s someone approaching the gym,” came a voice through the intercom on his desk.

Giovanni’s spirits lifted considerably at that, as they had every single time a new challenger came. Or, at least, before he was met with disappointment as whoever arrived wasn’t her… “Standard procedure,” he replied, turning on his own monitor in haste to view what the security cameras were filming. However, his just renewed good mood turned abysmal the moment he saw that it was only an old man, walking like a Slowpoke—if not even slower—toward the gates of Viridian City’s gym. “Damn…”

“You sure on the standard procedure, boss?” the intercom person asked in confirmation.

“Forget it; throw anyone who’s free in there, and call me only if our team is defeated,” Giovanni ordered, ending the conversation and standing up from his desk to go wander around his office in order to cheer up. He couldn’t forget about her, and the fact that she had yet to show up when she had been so eager to come to his gym just made him worry and got him depressed to no end. Had she actually gone ahead to another city in Kanto, to try her luck at the other gyms? Had she been followed and taken away by her father, the religious fanatic from Sinnoh that worshipped Arceus?

Giovanni ended up looking out from the window that overviewed the training area he had built behind the gym for those Pokémon trainers that begged to become part of his team, in an attempt to become stronger and, someday, maybe also win over him and leave with a badge on their hands. He was there just in time to see how one of the best in the team, one he even considered a close partner now, was called over to enter the gym and proceed to test the new challenger before the leader even had to step in. Said leader smirked; whoever had come today had no chance against his trusted partner…

But, as luck would have it—because luck, as everyone knows, is a somewhat sadistic entity—, there was someone calling him again from the intercom: “Boss, an unexpected challenger just came in!” And, not really in the mood anymore, Giovanni nearly dragged his feet back to his desk, turning his eyes slowly at the screen and almost yawning in boredom.

It just happened it was her this time: a young woman with long hair, which, thanks to the black-and-white-only security cameras, he couldn’t confirm was that bright cherry red that had caught his attention the previous week and hadn’t let go… but he just knew it was!

His hands lost all the dexterity they had, so he struggled to send his message back through the intercom: “Stop the battle! I’m going down there!”

“Sorry, boss, it’s already in process…” Giovanni cursed lowly.
    He pressed several buttons by the monitor and had the cameras follow the redheaded girl into the gym. He also turned on the sound; he wanted to hear what was going on down there. He was already late to stop the trainer representing him from battling her, but he wouldn’t miss a single minute of it.

“Thank you very much, sir, for all your help. I can keep going on my own,” the girl told the old man that had taken her to the gym, smiling cutely.

The old man laughed. “Good luck, lass! You’ll need it! The leader of Viridian, Giovanni, will show no mercy!”

“Yes, sir, I know,” she replied, obviously eager to get rid of him. “That’s why I was off training at the forest; I’ll be fine now.”

Giovanni’s training partner chuckled as she approached the pair. “Don’t you worry for the lass here, old man; you may leave,” she said in a commanding voice, and the old man obeyed as if hypnotized. Then she addressed the redhead: “The boss is currently out, hon. I will be taking care of you, for now,” she purred, narrowing her eyes like a calculating Persian.

“Oh, really?” The younger woman’s Pokéball was already on her hand, ready to be thrown.

“Yes, really!” the older woman roared gleefully, taking out one of her own Pokéballs. “Let us play then, little Skitty. My name is Sird,” she presented herself as an afterthought.

“Well, Sird, let me return the favor: I’m Ariana, and I hail from Sinnoh, and I am going to defeat you!

+-+-+

PLEASE, REVIEW! Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Kayi-chan; 14th March 2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Needed an index, LOL

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream (Giovanni/Ariana, Giovanni&Silver)

Ah, now this is not a bad little story. I like the fact you use the manga continuity. I was never one for the whole Mars thing but I suppose if that works for you, then it's fine.

All in all, a well written story (with a catchy title). I like the Princess Bride-esque interruptions Silver makes.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream (Giovanni/Ariana, Giovanni&Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Ah, now this is not a bad little story.

(...)

All in all, a well written story (with a catchy title).
    *mute in bliss*

...I did my best Thank you for taking your time to read the 5000+ words.

And thanks for liking the title; that one took me forever...

I like the fact you use the manga continuity.
    Hee hee hee...

...no, really, is it that uncommon to use the manga continuity? I haven't been around this subforum for long.

I was never one for the whole Mars thing but I suppose if that works for you, then it's fine.
    Neither was I, but I wanted to discredit the idea of Mars as Silver's mother (ever heard that theory?), so I kinda made her... his aunt.

It also made me feel better; I've been depressed since I arrived to Peru, because my little sis' is not here. She also adamantly refused to hug and kiss good-bye... You can see where this is going, can't you? An odd sort of Author Appeal...

I like the Princess Bride-esque interruptions Silver makes.
    Hee hee hee... Thanks; there I was thinking these made the story odd and unlikeable. Good to know you like them.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know you liked the story! It means a lot to me!

More fanfiction at:

Blog Entries

Nice and impressive story. I really like it! I cant wait for chapter 2. Mabe you should come read mine The Kanto Master League.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alster08 View Post
    Nice and impressive story. I really like it! I cant wait for chapter 2.
    Thank you!

I'll try to have the second chapter soon. However, considering I'm currently far away from home (I'm in Peru for a month) and working (for a guy named Ghiovanni, proving life likes to amuse us to no end), it might not be right away... But wait; it'll definitely come!

Quote Originally Posted by alster08 View Post
    Mabe you should come read mine The Kanto Master League.
    I'll try to. As I said already, I'm working

More fanfiction at:

Blog Entries

Yeah, I have a Silver story going now as well. If you get the time, check it out. I hope you don't mind if I borrow a couple ideas you had here for mine?

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I have a Silver story going now as well. If you get the time, check it out. I hope you don't mind if I borrow a couple ideas you had here for mine?
    Yeah, heard and seen your story...

And if I truly have something around that you can use, I'd be honored. But now I'm curious, what is it?

More fanfiction at:

Happiny likes waffles too Wafflegurl's Avatar
    I tell you once I know where the hell I am....

Nice! See I, personally, like stories that have the sence of this one, funny but completely serious at the same time.

4 1/2 out of 5 stars

Made by BlazakingEX, thanks.

I am the Wafflegurl and you'll do what I say, Woot woot!

I have eggs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kayi Rowling View Post
    Yeah, heard and seen your story...

And if I truly have something around that you can use, I'd be honored. But now I'm curious, what is it?
    You gave me an idea of how Ariana became affiliated with Team Rocket.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflegurl View Post
    Nice! See I, personally, like stories that have the sence of this one, funny but completely serious at the same time.

4 1/2 out of 5 stars
    I hope I can keep the pace and the humor in subsequent chapters, for your reading pleasure.

Thank you very much!

More fanfiction at:

Blog Entries

Sorry to double post!

Anyways, an announcement: This story is up there in the nominations for Best Shipping fanfic, alongside with my other story, Kisses.

However, let me quote myself from the other fic's thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayi Rowling View Post
    First nomination is at the Shipping category. Second is for Canon Character, with my take on Gold being put into consideration for the prize.

Now, I wouldn't mind the Canon Character award, but the Shipping one is in an awkward situation, as Kisses is up against my other fic. My other fic is not a one-shot, unlike this one, so I'd like it best if neither won.

I really don't like the idea of putting my only two Pokémon fanfics ever to fight each other so early on, especially since the second chapter of TG&SCWC (...LOL!) is in the making and it's taking so much effort from me already; I don't want to think what would happen if Kisses won over the other, I'd probably be demotivated forever...

So, please, people, really, help me by not voting for either fanfic in the Shipping category. I'll thank you forever.
    Please, put it into consideration if you vote. I didn't expect it to turn out this way, but I'm the only one at the shipping category, it'd seem...

More fanfiction at:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream (Giovanni/Ariana, Giovanni&Silver) [1/8?

Sorry. I was the one who nominated Garnets... Perhaps you should talk with Aladar about having them both removed if you don't want to win.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream (Giovanni/Ariana, Giovanni&Silver) [1/8?

Sorry. I was the one who nominated Garnets... Perhaps you should talk with Aladar about having them both removed if you don't want to win.
    I'm the one who's sorry... I'm such a wimp...

I'll contact Aladar, to take my fics out of that list. I hope that's actually possible; thanks for the advice.

More fanfiction at:

Blog Entries

He's a pretty nice guy. Sure it'll remove the shipping category, but I don't see Aladar as the type to make our members feel uncomfortable.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream (Giovanni/Ariana, Giovanni&Silver) [2/8?

Guess what, everybody? (FF.net link here)

Two Garnets and some Cherries with Cream
    Chapter 2 of ?
    By Kayi S. Rowling

+-+-+

“Oh, really?” The younger woman’s Pokéball was already on her hand, ready to be thrown.

“Yes, really!” the older woman roared gleefully, taking out one of her own Pokéballs. “Let us play then, little Skitty. My name is Sird,” she presented herself as an afterthought.

“Well, Sird, let me return the favor: I’m Ariana, and I hail from Sinnoh, and I am going to defeat you—!

+-+-+

—Silver remained tired.

However, now that Giovanni had started narrating his engrossing story and that he had paused after such a critical moment, Silver couldn’t think of sleeping anymore. He was even sitting down on his bed. “Sird was there?” was the first thing out of his mouth after a full minute of silence. “What was she doing at your gym? And wait… She was your so-called trusted partner?” The woman who had turned him and his friends into stone? And had dressed him like the clown of a bad circus act? He couldn’t believe it! “I can’t believe it!” See?

“Yes, Sird was there,” Giovanni replied, frowning. “And yes, I trusted her; perhaps too much,” he admitted, apparently thinking back to those times. “She was the first to join the gym and begin training with me. By the time I met your mother, I had known Sird for more than half of my lifetime. She practically raised me through puberty, too!” he chuckled, failing to notice how Silver’s expression soured.

That bit about Sird raising him was creepy, Silver decided; far creepier than all the things he knew she had done in the past, even. He regretted having asked about her… “Can you continue now?” he asked, masking his eagerness to change the topic—and to hear more about his mother—rather well.

“What about a little break?” his father suggested, but only out of courtesy: he was having a break, whether Silver wanted it or not.

“…fine.”

“I’ll go fetch a bottle of water. Do you want anything?”

Silver forced his mind to remember what he had put in the cooler the last time he was in the hideout. “A beer would be nice,” he replied after a while.

But Giovanni obviously disapproved, if one went by the look he was throwing his son. “I’ll get you some milk.”

“Huh? Milk? I’m not a baby! I’m nearly twen—!”

“I’ll get you some milk,” his father repeated calmly, rising to his feet, leaving the “room” and his sulking son behind. He was back not a minute later, a bottle of water on one hand and a small carton of milk—white and brown in color, with a straw glued to the side—on the other. “Here you go,” he offered, nearly smirking as a pair of silvery eyes glared at him and then at the offending drink that would ideally be a beer.

Regardless, Silver took it; he didn’t fail to notice it was also chocolate-flavored, adding insult to injury at the same time it made a warm feeling grow within his chest. He had stopped buying those after he took his father in, preferring to avoid the embarrassing situation of being babied just because he liked them. And now, here there was one, somehow on his hand… “Thanks,” he muttered. “Don’t go out just to get these for me. It’s dangerous,” he added, reprimanding Giovanni in an odd case of role reversal as he practically stabbed the little box with the plastic straw.

The older man nodded, removing the cap of his bottle. “I know,” he said before his smirk made itself more evident, “I actually sent your so-called secretary for them.”

Silver frowned. “Don’t contact Team Rocket just because you can’t go out. It’s dangerous,” he corrected his warning. He also made a mental note to talk to the former executive Ariana later about who was actually her boss now; he wouldn’t be tolerating her rebellious attitude anymore.

The water bottle got to a half-empty state before Giovanni added in his defense: “It’s not my fault that they are all so willing to do my bidding, even nowadays… And, Silver?”

“Yes?”

His father seemed to struggle for words to voice his request, but in the end he just shook his head and sighed. “Nothing, forget it; you must learn on your own how to deal with that bunch of misfits,” he whispered. Then he cleared his throat. “Anyways, let’s continue. Where was I…? Sird battling your mother, perhaps—?”

+-+-+

—Giovanni had decided to stay in his office to watch the match from his screen a minute ago, thinking it was the best idea in order not to miss a single bit of the battle. Right now, however, he was beginning to regret not running for the emergency stairs earlier, as, at the moment, the gym below him was filled to the brim with the guys that had been training in the back, so that there was literally no space left at the sidelines. The reason for such a crowd forming was simple: there had an odd kind of aura forming between the two women after they had exchanged their first words that could be felt even through the walls, and that tension promised an interesting encounter was about to happen. Again, all of that happened in just a minute, such a short span of time that had, regardless, sent his good mood spiraling to the ground and below.
    Anyway, the ever-efficient Archer practically ran to the two women before they threw their Pokéballs without formalizing the challenge; he even held back Sird’s arm, risking a black eye. “Hold it, ladies!” he ordered, earning himself some booing from the audience.

The redhead lowered her own arm, clutching her Pokéball with both hands and proceeding to stand there idly, looking awkward, while Sird herself wrestled her limb out of Archer’s grasp rudely before hissing at him: “I’m busy here, four-eyes!” As always, whenever she got interrupted doing something she actually wanted to do, Sird couldn’t control her temper. However, Giovanni would have to congratulate her later, as she usually exploded all over them, not hissed and scowled…

One of Archer’s eyebrows went up over the rim of his ridiculously big glasses in amusement. “So am I,” he replied simply, before turning to address the gym challenger. He cleared his throat. “Girl, our leader is currently out and can’t battle you—”

“I already know that!” interrupted Ariana—Giovanni couldn’t help the little ecstatic feeling that knowing her name gave him—, beginning to look as pissed off as Sird.

“—but Sird here is the best among us,” Archer continued pointedly, also picking up the general bad mood that prevailed in the gym by now. “The only one who can defeat her up to this day is our leader, Giovanni. We consider that she’s a worthy substitute, so we’ll award you with the Earth Badge if you win against her.” He made a pause, a time he used to take out said badge from his pocket and wave it in front of Ariana’s face, taunting her along with a little smirk on his lips. “Three on three is fine with you?”

“I guess…” the redheaded girl replied, hesitating a little. Both Sird and Archer chuckled at that.

“Well, then; you can start now!” Cheers exploded at long last among the observers.

Sird didn’t need to be told twice, releasing her Starmie not a second later… right in front of Archer. “Off the field with you!” Her Pokémon then proceeded to blast the young man away, knocking several others off their feet at the sidelines.

Ariana took several steps back in precaution, taking out her own Pokéball. She whispered something to it, her expression soft and kind, a sharp contrast to her glare just a moment ago. Giovanni had a very bad feeling about this change; he had seen that face before… “Go, Oddish!” she called, her Pokémon appearing a few feet away from Sird’s own—

+-+-+

“—she called her Oddish out?” Silver asked in disbelief, his eyes wide open in shock.

His father shrugged; having seen it with his own eyes over twenty years ago really did wonders about that pesky belief thingy. “Yes, she did,” he sighed. “It was almost faint-worthy, according to other witnesses, but, you know? Your mother wasn’t that dumb, as we would all find out minutes later—”

+-+-+

—Sird’s eye twitched so visibly that even the security cameras got it.

And Giovanni could only wish he felt the same as she did—offended beyond repair—, yet he only felt what he guessed was nausea over the spectacular failure of good judgment, common sense and survival instinct. He wouldn’t be surprised now to find out that Ariana had actually got herself lost in Viridian Forest for a week, and that the old man who had brought her to the gym had found her wandering around aimlessly—

+-+-+

“—Silver, I want you to know that your mother was indeed training in Viridian Forest; she wasn’t lost.”

The redhead frowned. “Why did you interrupt yourself to tell me that?”

“Because your eyes were practically begging that what I thought back then wasn’t true. You’re also rather pale right now.”

“I’m fine…” Silver mumbled, turning away and sipping the very last drop of his chocolate-flavored milk.

Giovanni sighed. “If you say so—”

+-+-+

“—what is this?” Sird growled at Ariana, unable to stop glaring at the innocent Oddish nearby. The waves of heated fury that radiated from her would turn their late autumn into midsummer if the younger trainer failed to make something to amend her serious mistake.

Ariana looked at the older woman in mild confusion. “It’s an Oddish.”

Sird chuckled in that sinister way she only used when she was ready to massacre someone’s whole team. “Yeah, I know… Starmie, Psychic, now!” Giovanni couldn’t help but nod in approval—even if nobody got to see it, even when he was actually siding with Ariana—; Sird still had her mind clear enough to recognize that their current Pokémon held a type disadvantage to each other simultaneously…

Ariana jumped at that, startled. “Oddish…! Eh…” Too slow; she was rewarded by the sight of her Pokémon barely managing to throw itself to the side, Sird’s Starmie still scoring quite a hit. “Synthesis!” Her Oddish was more than happy to comply.

That won’t do you any good,” the older woman purred, enjoying the opportunity to torture her opponent in revenge for the shame of having to defeat such Pokémon in front of everyone else. She was fine with being a bully toward people, not Pokémon. “We’re in an enclosed space; there’s a limited amount of sunlight, you know?”

Finally, the redhead perked up. “I can fix that,” she replied, reaching to take something out of her bag. “Oddish! Sunny Day!”

And then Giovanni was thankful for having stayed in the office, as Ariana’s Oddish seemed to be rather good with that particular non-damaging move; the way the guys at the sidelines shrieked like a colony of Zubat as the sunlight filtering through the windows increased—to the point that they were convinced that the sun was just outside, watching the battle as well—, while Sird herself threw her arm over her eyes and had her Starmie shrinking back even when lacking eyes itself, convinced him of it. Ariana had simply put on her sunglasses, apparently already knowing really well how awful it could get, and obviously having planned to use the move sooner or later. Also, the gym leader began doubting his initial judgment on the challenger right then: the Oddish family didn’t learn Sunny Day or Synthesis naturally, after all…

“Well?” Ariana called at Sird, hands on her hips.

The other woman growled, letting her arm drop to her side and forcing her eyes to open. “It still won’t do you any good, honey. But in acknowledgement of your rather ridiculous attempt at actually doing something useful, I’ll also try to do only minor damage to your little leafed friend…”

Then she hurried to her Starmie’s side, taking good care to pat it comfortingly to let it know that everything was fine, strong sunlight or not; it stood back up and stretched in response to her encouragements. This was something she had learned she had to do with this particular Pokémon from Giovanni, who had told her that her Starmie could be intimidated easily thanks to the careless way she had captured and trained it in the past, when it was a young Staryu, probably just hatched when she found it in the wild. She never failed to show it some affection and such since then, and Giovanni held her in even higher esteem for having those considerations for her Pokémon.

…but she also took her chance to give her order from up close: “BubbleBeam!”

Type advantage or not, Ariana’s Oddish took another good beating. “Synthesis again, Oddish! Otherwise…” she bit her lip in worry.

“You can’t keep using Synthesis forever!” Sird barked at her, her anger growing again.

“Oddish, Tackle her Starmie!” Her Pokémon looked up at her as if she had just grown another head. Giovanni understood why quite clearly. “It doesn’t matter if that woman is hiding behind it; it’s her problem!” And that wasn’t the reason. However, the gym leader began wondering whether that phrase had been uttered out of actual ignorance or…

Either way, the tuft of leaves rushed forward and did a really mediocre Tackle attempt at Sird’s Starmie, which didn’t even waver. “Was that for real?” the older woman asked, looking plainly confused. That same expression was on all the onlookers’ faces, too.

Ariana blushed to the roots of her hair. “Yes?” she squeaked.
    Sird began snickering manically in disbelief, falling to the side of her beloved Pokémon. “Well… Let’s get this over with, Starmie; Psychic, again,” she said after a while, probably already tired of the rollercoaster of conflicting emotions she had been subject to since Ariana had put her foot in the gym.
    Ariana then did something nobody was expecting her to do: she removed her sunglasses, and she clapped once.

Her Oddish made a leap back onto her outstretched arms, avoiding the attack entirely, leaving everyone to wonder why it hadn’t done that before when attacked. “Are you recalling it?” Sird inquired.

“You won’t be able to bring it out again if you do,” Archer called from the crowd.

Ariana chuckled. “No, I’m not going to do that,” she replied. “Leg,” she commanded her Pokémon, which held out its tiny leg to her, where a bracelet-like thing had been made to fit. Giovanni nearly cursed aloud from his office, realizing that the girl actually had a plan: the cluelessness, her Oddish knowing Sunny Day and Synthesis, it doing a Tackle—a move no member of its family could learn at all, no matter what was done—that was an utter failure, and now this bracelet

+-+-+

“—and what was that bracelet?” Silver asked.

Giovanni turned his now empty water bottle on his hands. “It was the way your mother carried a particular little stone,” he paused solely for dramatic effect, “an Everstone.”

The pause had its intended effect of heightening the shock of the reveal, as Silver’s eyebrows shooting up clearly indicated. “You don’t say…” he muttered absentmindedly. “Isn’t that against the rules or something?”

“Given the way we loved to stomp over our challengers, the gym had a very peculiar rule written down in the books back then: the challengers were allowed to do anything in their first attempt at winning the badge,” Giovanni told him. “It was technically illegal, but most trainers that came didn’t know about it either, so we never got into trouble for it; several novices invoked it on accident, too, but it wasn’t our problem if they got called out on it later. However, as I said before, your mother wasn’t dumb, and she had done a thorough investigation of my gym—I still don’t know how, but I have my suspicions—, and she purposefully invoked the rule in her favor to get away with her unorthodox strategy.” Silver blushed all of a sudden, and he let his hair fall forward to hide his face. “What’s wrong?” his father asked, concerned.

“I can’t believe that both my parents aren’t people I can assure my friends are law-abiding citizens, at all,” he whispered, feeling his eyes sting as shame piled up. In an even lower tone, he added: “Gold can do it, as can Crystal… and those two lovebirds in Hoenn… and Blue, too! What will she think when she finds out?” He already knew for a fact that Gold would bother him for the rest of his life, and the others didn’t matter because he didn’t get along with them that much, but Blue…

Giovanni coughed uncomfortably at the bits he could hear. Regardless, he decided to play another card for increased amusement: “Your mother joined Team Rocket too.”

Eh?” The redhead’s face was priceless.

“On with the story—!”

+-+-+

“—this—”

+-+-+

“—no!” Silver protested loudly. “Wait just a minute there! You can’t continue until you tell me more about that! How is it that she joined Team Rocket?”

“I can’t tell you unless you let me continue with the story,” Giovanni countered, making his son growl in frustration. “You sound like your mother,” he commented, unable to hold back the smirk. “Either way, I’ll tell you something to ease your mind: your mother was never a criminal.”

“I don’t believe you…” Silver sighed sadly. It made no sense if she [I]wasn’t.[I] “Just leave it like that. Go on, continue narrating; I’m listening.”

“As you wish—”

+-+-+

“—this thing right here… I did it myself,” Ariana confessed to the curious onlookers. “I set an Everstone onto this old bracelet to stop my Oddish from evolving… Poor thing, I know it should have long ago.” She slowly pulled and turned it until she got it off her Pokémon’s leg. “There, Oddish; ready when you are,” she told it sweetly, letting it hop back onto the ground. It immediately began shining, changing…

Sird scoffed. “Well, now it will evolve into a Gloom; so what? It’s still a part-poison type and vulnerable to my Starmie from that angle, even more so now that it will be bigger and easier to aim at.”

“Well, you have a type advantage from that angle; so what?” Ariana mimicked, smirking. “SolarBeam, Gloom!”

What?” Sird hissed.

And Giovanni laughed. He couldn’t help it; he just did, and he didn’t bother keeping it down, since he knew nobody could hear him. He was pleased that Ariana was proving to be quite an entertainment not only visually, but also in the way she pulled off surprise after surprise time and again. After all, her strategy had pieced together quite nicely: by making Sird underestimate her, she’d called upon the necessary sunlight with the Synthesis excuse, with the intention to beam her Starmie off the battlefield.

…a fate that Sird’s Pokémon was barely spared of. It was severely weakened, however, and some of its tips had folded in exhaustion. “Starmie!” the older woman gasped. “You…! Starmie, hold on, just one more time—!”

“Gloom, another SolarBeam!”

“—Psychic!”

Someone in the crowd cursed loudly, while another called the whole deal “madness.” Then the first round of the battle was over.

Ariana’s cry was muffled by both her hands, but since the whole gym had fallen silent, it was heard as clearly as they could see her tears running down her cheeks. She ran to her fainted Gloom’s side, she called its name…

“Gloom can’t continue fighting,” Archer announced the obvious to the audience while he approached the redhead. He whispered something into her ear, laying a comforting hand on her trembling shoulder—Giovanni knew it meant nothing, but he still saw red—, before she shook her head and took out Gloom’s Pokéball. “Are you sure?” Archer asked for confirmation, adjusting his glasses with his free hand.

“I can handle it. I just hadn’t expected this turn of events,” she whispered back. She turned to recall her Pokémon, planting a kiss on the Pokéball once Gloom was safely stored inside. “Good job. You were wonderful out there.” She stood up abruptly, making Archer stumble backwards. The glare was back on her garnet red eyes, and it was focused solely on Sird. “Well, that was a rather nasty move.”

Sird chuckled, not minding Ariana’s rising anger that much. “You started it, little Skitty. Battling against me is serious business, for your information; you strike hard, and I strike back harder.

“Yeah, I know. I just saw it,” Ariana admitted, taking out a tissue to dry her tears up. “Now I fear this will become an escalating battle, though, as I’m not particularly fond of not repaying others in kind.”

Giovanni watched in amusement as Archer dragged himself hastily over to the sidelines as Ariana retrieved her next Pokéball from the very bottom of her bag. He was truly sorry she hadn’t won against Sird’s Starmie; it had been a matter of fast reflexes, in order to catch those last rays of sunlight before Sunny Day no longer had an effect. Gloom hadn’t managed to do it in time, and, in the end, it hadn’t shot a thing at Starmie. It could have ended in a draw otherwise. Such a pity…

“Off with that Starmie, now!” the redhead ordered in a vicious growl, throwing the Pokéball forward. In less than a blink, her wish was granted, even when nobody had seen a thing.

But Sird’s Pokémon fell to the ground just the same, and it wouldn’t even twitch at hearing its mistress’s calls. She bit her lip, holding back all her begging for Starmie to rise, and, acknowledging defeat this one time, she recalled it. However, she waited until she had a good look at Ariana’s next Pokémon before she selected her own; whatever it was, it jumped swiftly all over the room, startling the onlookers for the pleasure of it…

It lastly came to rest by Ariana’s legs, and the only thing the redhead had to say to it was a mildly bothered: “That was slow, Weavile—”

+-+-+

“—I guess that explains how my very first Pokémon was a Sneasel,” Silver spoke at long last, a little fond smile playing on his lips.

Giovanni sighed. “Indeed, that was no accident: your mother specifically bred her Weavile to give its child to you for your first birthday. Sird was also involved on that, as she owned a rather… flirty Ditto back then, which she let your mother borrow,” he explained, rubbing his own arm awkwardly as Silver scowled in distaste. It wasn’t serious enough so that he’d start disliking his own Weavile, but knowing Sird helped was bad enough to leave a mark in his memory forever. “Sorry; that was too much information, wasn’t it?”

His son nodded. He changed the topic next: “My mother didn’t lie to you back there in the train, did she?” he chuckled in amusement. “She did have quite an advantage against the Pokémon in your gym, after all; grass and ice… Did she ever battle against you?”

“Yes. Yes, she did,” Giovanni replied, chuckling as well. “But she never had the pleasure of defeating me, not even six on one, which is why we both began preferring to tag battle when training together.” He seemed to remember those moments rather fondly, if one went by the expression on his face alone.

“I guess it’s a shame that you can’t fight anymore… We could have arranged a meeting between you two,” Silver muttered, crossing his arms, clenching and tugging lightly at his clothes with his hands.

Giovanni patted his shoulder. “Don’t worry about that. She’s happy enough to talk with me through the phone every now and then.”

The redhead sighed in exasperation. “Stop contacting Team Rocket members behind my back! Even if it’s about my mom, it could encourage the others to oppose me even more than they do already!” Giovanni smirked at him, causing him to blush lightly. “What?” he nearly spat.

“You just called her mom. She’s going to be ecstatic when I tell her about it.”

Silver’s blush deepened in color and rose to his hairline. “You aren’t telling her that!” he hissed. After all, for him, words such as “mom” and “dad” were only used by babies, girls and spoilt kids. He had just let it slip past his usually high defenses, though… And his father’s comment made him wonder whether or not he had ever used those words before Mask of Ice kidnapped him.

He regretted his reaction right away, and, lowering his gaze, he told his father he took back his request for him to keep silent about his little slip of the tongue. “Thanks for allowing me to tell her. I can record her squeals for you, if you want, as a little compensation for your sacrifice.”

He was being mocked. He didn’t care. “Whatever. Just keep telling me about the battle with Sird; you’re going far too slowly.”

Giovanni shrugged. “Fine with me, though talking to you amuses me more than reminiscing—”

+-+-+

—Giovanni couldn’t help but notice the difference in the attitudes Ariana showed to each of her two Pokémon: her Oddish, now a Gloom, was treated with the utmost kindness, while she growled at and bossed around her Weavile. “If Sird had chosen a Slowpoke just now, you’d be left biting its dust!” She also insulted it in creatively abusive ways. And he was surprised when her Weavile actually snickered. They had one of those rough friendship deals going on, apparently, in comparison to Gloom, who was babied by its mistress.

“I don’t own a Slowpoke,” Sird admitted aloud, drawing Ariana’s attention back to herself. “Nor would I want to now, considering the type and speed of your Pokémon would leave me in a serious disadvantage.” One Pokéball was dropped to her feet; a Meowth was released, which proceeded to rub its face against her leather boots. “This little guy was a gift by a good friend of mine, to whom I lent a Ditto a while back. He just hatched last week, too. Please, be kind to him, little Skitty; you kittens should stick together, after all.”

Ariana was taken aback by that revelation, and her Weavile visibly hesitated to start attacking thanks to its owner’s doubts. And the worst thing was that Sird wasn’t lying; her Meowth had indeed just hatched last week, to her great joy and everyone else’s great amusement. Nobody could see Sird liking or doing cute things, so she had been on the receiving end of a lot of jokes… until she gave all her money to the noble cause of getting him a Quick Claw and four Technical Machines, and then proceeded to win her first battle with him and him alone. Giovanni really hoped Ariana, who had already used a strategy involving being underestimated, wouldn’t fall for the same trick when thrown back at her face.

And she didn’t. “Weavile, if you don’t finish that Meowth off in the following five minutes, you are out of my chosen party.” The swift ice type tensed at that, and, swallowing up its regret at having to attack a Pokémon that young, it threw itself forward, claws and fangs at the ready.

Sird smirked. “Meowth, Iron Tail.

The Quick Claw tied around the kitten’s neck got him out of the way of Weavile’s rather free-styled onslaught—it wasn’t the same as Gloom’s failed tackle, Giovanni realized; it was just that Ariana wasn’t commanding it to do anything specific—, and he managed to strike the ice type down quite hard. The poor Pokémon even bleed afterward from a gash on its back. The redhead winced at that, her hands hurrying to her bag’s pockets as she tried to find what the gym leader guessed was a Potion or a similar medicine; her Weavile just rose again and dove for the Meowth in front of it, clearly angered.

“I won’t allow you to be hit, Meowth,” Sird assured her Pokémon. “U-turn!

“What is that…?” Ariana wondered aloud, still searching for that Potion. “I don’t even…!”

…and then her Weavile was struck and it fell to the ground unceremoniously, not having scored a single hit against Sird’s Meowth, who switched out for a Ditto. Giovanni could only face palm as he clearly saw Sird’s Ditto wriggling its “eyebrows” suggestively at the fainting Weavile, who just glared back.

“Next!” the older woman called aloud, as the crowd exploded in laughter at how easily her baby Meowth had won.

Ariana fell to her knees for the second time that day, and she crawled over to her fallen Pokémon. “Oh, dear…” she whispered in distress, a hand held to her lips. The other held on to an unused Hyper Potion.

Archer was on her shoulder again. “Weavile can’t continue fighting,” he announced, as was his duty. “Are you alright?” he asked the redhead. “You’re looking rather pale.” She whispered something unintelligible back at him. “What, again?”

“I said: I don’t have any other Pokémon! I… I lost already.”

+-+-+

Well, I hope I managed to keep the standard of quality from the previous chapter in this one. It took me forever to get done in a way that didn't make me want to reach into my computer and tear the virtual documents apart with my own two hands, after all...

Also, this chapter was both slower and less upbeat than the previous, but I wanted to include more Giovanni&Silver, more Sird, more reveals, etc.; I hope my lame attempts at Pokemon battling scenes are enough to alleviate the pain.

And, just so you know, in my FF.net author notes block, I added that I have an idea for an omake on the talk between Giovanni and Ariana that resulted in her buying that delicious chocolate-flavored milk for Silver, as well as a full-fledged spin-off on the relationship between Giovanni and Sird from their meeting until Ariana came along. I want to know if anybody wants either...?

...anyways! I'm sure everyone has heard the horrible news of me suffering a BSOD during last week over the fact that my two fanfics were going against each other in the Shipping category of the Fic Awards (it's up there, in this same topic).

I have more news on the issue: since I have two weeks before the voting closes, I decided to take my chances and try my best to make this fanfic more popular than Kisses. It's a suicidal move against my frail motivation, but I took a third option between being a wimpy victim and being a spoilsport. I hope you can help me!

More fanfiction at:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast