TEEN: Three Times the Isshu - (Ch. 2)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Three Times the Isshu - (Ch. 2)

Default Three Times the Isshu - (Ch. 2)

------
    Three Times the Isshu

Legends of Isshu

In a world of bonds and ties, Isshu stands alone. In the time of her birth she was cut adrift from the ropes of Regigigas and settled far across the ocean, kept away from her brothers by the raging seas. By these means the region was cut off from the influence of the other regions – the ancient rivalry of Kyogre and Groudon did not touch her, and the titanic clash between Space and Time did not extend its reach to her borders. The god Arceus looked upon this region in curiosity, and ordered that young Isshu remain where she had settled – for God was curious and wished to see how the lone region would grow.

And grow she did – Isshu grew into a region of clashing and uniting, of division and togetherness. For a time there was stagnation and corruption as with isolation comes the loss of change and diversity. It was during this time that two brothers were born. The older, clothed in white, believed that truth alone could stop the devastation. The younger, clad in black, believed that ideals were what truly mattered. Faced with their lands struggles though, the two brothers worked together to end the corruption and slow death of their homeland. Moved by their courage and the determination they displayed, a great Dragon appeared. The Dragon, whose name has been lost to the ancient past, was the spirit of Isshu and entrusted its power to the brothers. With the Dragon’s aid the two brothers, now heroes, were able to restore the land to its former beauty and serenity.

However, with no enemy to fight, the two quickly began to feud, and then to battle. The dragon, loyal to both was torn between loyalties. Unable to reconcile its loyalty, it split into two beings – Reshiram the dragon of Truth and Zekrom the dragon of Ideals. The brothers raged war against in each other; blind to the fact their meaningless quarrel was destroying the region they loved. When their region had been brought to the brink, when brother stood to kill brother, and dragon to fight dragon – then they realized their folly. The dragons, born from the friend whose power had given them the power to restore the region, were equal in every way. Realizing that both truth and ideals were necessary for peace, they set aside their differences again, and brought the nation back together. However history repeats itself and arrogance is the folly of the young. The sons of the two heroes thought themselves wiser, more determined than their fathers. Claiming the might of Zekrom and Reshiram respectively, they clashed and their lightning and fire split the land into three pieces, connected by a single strip of land. At the highest point of their battle, when it seemed Isshu would be truly gone…both dragons disappeared. The two sons searched for them, but the dragons would not be found.

Isshu, split and battered, became a land of diversity once more and the story of the dragons became a legend. Soon, humans began to clash again, over land, over wealth – over anything and everything they could desire of each other. In their war the forests of center Isshu were lit on fire, and the Pokémon became trapped. The humans fled their battle, abandoning the creatures to die. This injustice was not to be however, and instead a trio of Pokémon stepped forward. Terrakion used his might to create an escape, Virizion her speed to deflect and combat the flames, and Cobalion his bravery to lead the frightened Pokémon to safety. The fire raged, and the once great forest was burned to cinders. When the trio saw the destruction the war had wrought, the devastation even their mighty powers had been unable to stop, they felt rage burn in their hearts.

Amongst those who had been trapped in the blaze was a young child, orphaned by the war and unlike any Pokemon the trio had seen before - Keldeo, a fighter much like themselves. The three protectors took him in as one of their own, training and guiding him. At the sight of the once-mighty forest the young warrior felt his anger burn bright and his fury would sink deeply within him, a wound that refused to heal. The forest was blackened, destroyed. The lives of those who had lived within it could never be revived. The peace and joy it had once represented was shattered. Keldeo, looking upon the blackened ruins of his home, knowing that even when the forest regrew and the land healed, the lives that had been lost would be forever gone and the homes destroyed never the same. Rage, dark and bright, grew in his heart, a wound that refused to be purged.

The humans had learned nothing from their mistake however and continued their war. Enraged, the quartet used their might to end the war and peace slowly returned. The four Pokémon however could not find it within themselves to forgive the humans for their arrogance and careless cruelty. They fled the human lands until the time came that a human could earn their respect once more.

Their last known act was to transform the barren and empty land where the forest once stood. Terrakion gouged the earth surrounding it deeply forming a circle of earth broken only by the strip of land that connected the three pieces of Isshu. Keldeo filled this circle of earth with water, fresh and strong from a part of the ocean so deep no human and few Pokémon had ever ventured. Virizion surrounded the area with rich, deep forests and entangled paths. At the center of this water, Cobalion raised an island filled with rich ore and minerals for the soil. In this island, and only this island, could berries grow naturally. Pokémon came to this place, and the quartet established it as a peaceful place, guarded by powerful wards so that no human could trespass upon its purity. Eventually it was discovered that humans could enter spiritually, and the place became known as the Entralink – where the flesh and the spirit became one.

Going their separate ways, the four Pokémon also sank into myth. Virizion dashed off for the grass and the trees; to a place she could enjoy nature and peace. Terrakion rumbled through the earth and caves, searching for battle and excitement, and eventually a place to call home. Cobalion settled deep into the mountains where the ores of the world’s crust appeared in abundance, living peacefully with the Pokemon around him, waiting for a human who could restore his faith. Keldeo simply disappeared with the morning dew, never to be seen again.

The disappearance of the four heroic Pokémon led to much confusion and despair, as the people cast blame on each for the wars, never acknowledging that each of them had been equally at fault.

The war of dragons had yet more consequences though. Those humans who believed that truth was the most important crafted the magnificent Black City, where the people look to the truth for guidance, and move forward to the future. Those who believed that ideals were most important settled in a forest that grew into a beautiful village known as White Forest. Each place held a special connection to the Isshu region and to Pokémon, and as such those born within them were granted a special ability. The people of White Forest found themselves gifted with the ability to speak to Pokémon allowing them to understand and connect to them. The people of Black City found that they could learn things about Pokémon that no other could. Through the slightest of observations they could provide scores of information on a Pokémon, read their body language, and know the truth of them in ways that even the people of White Forest could not.

The beings that crafted Isshu fell to mere stories and myths, their cause forgotten. Pokémon and humans live their lives together, but the world is harsh. Trainers battle to the death and many Pokémon are killed and crippled for their games. There are those who, disgusted by this cruelty, seek to forever divide Pokémon and human.

Once again the Isshu region nears chaos, for the Dragons will soon rise. Who will they follow this time? Will Isshu come crashing to its end or will those of strong will fight for peace?

[PREFACE END]
    Last edited by RaiThunder; 23rd June 2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange
    No matter what you do, I will be who I will be. The question is, who are you?

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Default Re: TEEN: Three Times the Isshu (WIP)

This was really well written and I love your explanation of Entralink. I'm assuming this is going to be your own adaptation of the BW games so I'm looking forward to seeing what story and the characters will be like.

Looking forward to the actual story!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    This was really well written and I love your explanation of Entralink. I'm assuming this is going to be your own adaptation of the BW games so I'm looking forward to seeing what story and the characters will be like.

Looking forward to the actual story!

Thank you! Yeah, I wanted to find a way to explain Entralink because I do make use of it in the story. This story is definitely my own adaptation - I've been planning it for a long time, and I've finally got a basic idea of what I want. The prologue will be posted sometime today.
    Three Times the Isshu: A Nuzlocke Novelization of Pokemon Black and White by Rai Thunder
    Under One Sky - An Ask/RP blog for the characters of Three Times the Isshu and the unpublished fic Flying High(Diving Deep). Stop in, ask questions, get some answers.
    Review Exchange

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Interesting, the whole "truth and ideals" thing was a very entertaining and what I really liked about BW as well as the story of the brothers of Unova Dragon Legend.

Your explanation about White Forest people understanding Pokemon and Black City being very insightful on Pokemon is interesting to say the least, I look forward to see what you'll do with that. I do feel like your chapters should be a tad longer, but I'm not someone to judge length wise. I can't wait to see the character intros. Keep it up!

Default TEEN: Three Times the Isshu: Prologue

Sorry this took so long - I had some trouble with a few of these scenes and then Real Life hit.
    Anyway, here's the prologue, and I hope it peaks your interests Bulbagarden.

Also, just to clear up any confusion - as a general rule, I don't capitalize species names. If a pokemon's species is capitalized it is because it a) a Legendary or b) it has no unique name, making its species name count as its given name.
    ----

[PROLOGUE]

Come gather 'round people
    Wherever you roam
    And admit that the waters
    Around you have grown

“Free the pokemon! Humankind has made pokekind slaves! We must free the pokemon!” The booming voice echoed across the gathering, the crowd growing as the shouts continued. The crowd stood spellbound around a small stage, where men and woman clad in armor like the old Rotan Knights waved banners and a stern man shouted.

“How many of you have seen death in a gym? All of you! Pokemon die every day for the pleasure of humans! Is that right? Is it fair? NO! We must free the pokemon of the bonds we have forced upon them! Pokeballs are traps, slave bonds! Trainers are agents of death, spreading misery! Free the pokemon!”

The town people followed the shouting and chants, some watching in confusion, some shouting agreement, others sneering in disgust. But they all watched, all gathered.

“Trainers aren't agents of death! We're friends to our pokemon!” The shout came from a young voice in the crowd.

“Oh really? You say you’re friends? So you kill your friends, do you? Looks like we have a murderer in our midst!” He roared, “You call yourself a friend? Trainers hunt down and steal away the pokemon they catch! Is that what a friend does?”

“What? No! That’s not what I happens –“ The young man tried to explain, but the crowd swallowed his words as the leader continued his tirade.

“You deny your guilt do you? Murderer! You claim yourself a friend? You are but a mightyena in a mareep’s clothing! Deceiver! Tell us the truth! How many lives have you ended? How much blood is on your hands?!”

“I – I – I didn’t mean to, I just –” The young man tried to hide in the crowd, but the mob forced him forward as others gathered around to see the spectacle.

“You didn’t mean to? No one forced you to battle! Come now, you call yourself a friend to pokemon! Show us the good you’ve done to them! But you can’t can you? Because it’s a lie! Trainers can do nothing but harm pokemon! We must do what is right! You, with blood on your hands! Any amongst us with blood on your hands! Heed my words and free the pokemon! Right the wrongs you have wrought!”

Looking across the crowd for aid and seeing nothing but angry, chanting faces, the boy stepped back, this time unimpeded. “I-I- Leave me alone! Stay away!”

He turned and ran, clinging tight to his belt as members of the crowd snatched and tugged at it, trying to unclasp the Pokeballs. Breaking out of the fringes, he continued running as the crowds leader continued in triumph.

“Do you see? A coward! A murdering coward! The deceivers walk amongst us! They lie to us, to themselves! Confront them! Speak the truth and they will crumble! A liar can never stand against a knight! Free the pokemon! Speak with me my friends! Free the pokemon! Let the murderers hear our voices! Free the pokemon! Let the slavers hear our righteous anger! Free the pokemon!”

Then you better start swimmin'
    Or you'll sink like a stone
    For the times they are a-changin'.

A pained grunt sounded in the dark, cramped quarters of the alley. Four men and a women snickered as the sixth member of their posse shook his head. “You should have left it alone old man.”

He sighed, then moved forward, shoving his knee roughly into his victim’s gut. “Should have listened to the warnings. Look at where you are now, Detective. Had yourself a nice, comfy rank… Desk sergeant's a great place to be, when you got a wife and kid. But you had to go and mess that up, didn't you? Just couldn’t leave well enough alone.”

The detective glared, brown eyes narrow with pain and fury. “Leave well enough alone? And what – watch you lot take drug kick backs and send innocent people to prison?”

One of the women smirked. “Exactly.” With a smooth motion she let her arm fly, cracking a bat painfully into the older man’s ribs. “You would have minded your own business; none of this would have had to happen.”

“Amanda. Enough – we don’t want this too suspicious now.” The leader smirked as he drew attention back to himself. Thunder rumbled over head as he withdrew his right hand from his pocket, spinning a hand gun around his pointer finger. “Robbery gone wrong – oh so common in this big city, don’t ya know?”

The detective growled as lightning flashed overhead, “Someone will know it was more than that – you sell-outs won’t get away with this!”

The leader smirked, aiming. “In this city? You must be joking. In a few hours all anyone will know is that a big mouthed old-timer got himself killed in a robbery. Real sad story, sucks for his wife and little girl.”

Eyes widening, the older man surged forward, screaming, “You leave my family alone you son of a –urk!”

The two men holding him down let go, sniggering as the detective dropped to his knees, one hand weakly going to his chest.

“Old man, you ought to have known better than anyone. In this city, crime pays. Your time came and went.”

A final shot rang out, and there was silence before the thunder boomed and the sky opened up with a flood.

Come writers and critics
    Who prophesize with your pen
    And keep your eyes wide
    The chance won't come again

“Today, yet another rally for the group known as ‘Team Plasma’ and ‘the Freedom Fighters’ took place. Now with hundreds of civilian supporters, the protest group has claimed to have based itself on the political policies of Senator Ghetsis Harmonia. The senator has had nothing to say, but luckily, we here at Channel Seven have gained an invitation to speak with two equally famous and important guests! Dr. Aurea Juniper and Dr. Blair Fennel!”

Dr. Juniper stepped up calmly, taking a seat to the reporters left as Fennel chose the one to the right. “Thank you for having us here, Amelia. I understand you want to ask us some questions about Team Plasma.”

“That’s correct, Dr. Juniper. So, here’s my first question – the pair of you have gained your fame and acclaim as scientists working with Pokemon and it is well known that you disagree with many of Senator Ghetsis’ policies. Do you believe these policies are indeed related to Team Plasma?”

“To put it frankly, yes. Senator Harmonia has long since been an opponent of Pokemon battling, and especially the Pokemon League. The goals that Plasma has shared greatly align with those ambitions expressed by Harmonia,” Dr. Juniper answered firmly, one hand curled into a fist on her lap.

Amelia turned to Fennel, “And you, Doctor Fennel?”

“I share this belief – Senator Harmonia has often expressed the idea that human kind and Pokemon cannot live together, which is quite frankly, an unscientific argument based on speculation and emotion. It is true that some people should not be trainers – not everyone can handle the stress, and many more are a threat to Pokemon. But every human can kind at least one Pokemon to whom they connect with. Few citizens today live without a Pokemon companion, because humans and Pokemon benefit greatly from interaction with each other,” Fennel concluded calmly.

“I see. And so I take it you have a negative view on Team Plasma. What about their message, ‘free the pokemon’?” The reporter asked eagerly, clearly hoping to catch the latest scoop.

“I suppose you could say I do have a ‘negative’ view on Team Plasma – they claim to want to protect Pokemon, but many of them cause pokemon to be abandoned, causing grief to the pokemon and leaving them alone in a strange place. I disapprove of this and their strong responsibility for this situation. Their message is little more than cultist chanting – a phrase for their followers to scream and shout. However, I recognize that this is a country with freedom of speech. I do not wish to see Plasma jailed or turned into martyrs.”

“That’s right! I heartily disapprove of Team Plasma’s goals. However, like all activist groups, they have the right to exist. As much as I disapprove of them – because I definitely have a negative view of Team Plasma, they have the right to exist until they get violent,” Fennel agreed, looking confident.

“Until? Don’t you mean unless?” The reporter asked with a startled look.

“Nope. With a group as swiftly growing as Team Plasma, with as strong and destructive a rhetoric as theirs is, it’s only a matter of time until things build to a head. There will almost certainly be violence – something for your channel to develop a story on, I suppose.”

And don't speak too soon

The earth rumbled beneath his steps, but Terrakion paid it no heed. A lord of rock and earth need never fear the element under his feet. The home he had chosen – the great Victor Road, where humans tested their skill against powerful Pokemon was an excellent place for the battle-loving Musketeer.

Stalking through his realm, confident that he was more powerful than any about him, he paused at the sight before him. A tiny human, barely more than a calf sat carefully on a rock, watching the practice katas of a student-master pair of mienfoo and mienshao. The mienfoo would move, gliding from stance to stance, and the master would correct, calmly stepping into break the rhythm and adjust positions. That sight was one Terrakion was accustomed to.

But the human calf watching calmly, a slip of parchment in one hand and a stub of charcoal in the other, that was new. As he watched the human held up his charcoal, and dipped it to the pair, rubbing first with the stick and then with fingers to try and get the image correct. With a grace few would believe him capable of, the rock Musketeer moved closer. At the last moment, the boy turned, watching him with wide eyes.

“Cool,” he whispered. Terrakion smirked and looked down at the bound parchment. Small etchings of Pokemon covered it.

Delightful…Terrakion was not one for the arts, but he was one for patience – and besides, the boy had slipped into his cave, had he not? He would be on the watch for this one…but for now the calf would return to his sire and dam. He could hear them calling out for him, though he doubted the boy could.

Nudging him with his muzzle, Terrakion lowered his head to catch the calf’s collar as brown eyes closed and fingers loosened their grip. Making sure to grab the parchment slab, he trotted off to the mouth of his cave, slipping easily through his barrier. The boy he placed in the center of the path, parchment atop him, before he gave a rousing call and walked back to his cave. A yowl answered his call and a purrloin perched upon the boy’s chest as a pair of humans came running to their calf.

For the wheel's still in spin

The Pinwheel Forest was an enormous forest full of twisting paths and winding trails. To venture off the beaten path was to invite yourself into danger – or an adventure. For a young cub – barely out of kittenhood, what had the cub’s guardians been thinking – it was a marvel and a delight. Virizion shook her head as she watched from her perch. She had been immensely surprised when the little one had fallen into her grove, but the boy didn’t seem to have noticed her.

Virizion laughed to herself. At this age, all cubs found the gleefully dancing petilil and cottonee more interesting than the great guardian of this forest.

Still, as much of a surprise and delight the cub was turning out to be – oh, he could sing! He spun and turned, trying to follow the graceful petilil and the vibrant cottonee, humming the notes of their gleeful song, voice matching the notes as if he almost knew their meaning. No. Exactly as if he knew their meaning.

She paused, settling on her haunches and leaning forward. Bright cheerful eyes watched the cheerfully dancing grass types not with the eyes of an amused cub, but with the cheer of a friend. And his chatter sounded more and more careful, listening to responses and giggling questions. A child of White in her grove…

Virizion sighed. No, for better or worse, the cub belonged with his own kind. With a whisper of sound the Musketeer walked towards him. The cub turned at the sound of shushing grass and green eyes widened.

“Wow…” Kneeling delicately, Virizion touched foreheads with the boy. He crumpled to the ground and vision lifted her, dashing off, carrying her small burden to the paved road faster than the eye could see. Placing her on the ground, she let out a single, sharp note of sound before returning to the shelter of the trees. His guardians came rushing out – a girl-cub, barely older than the singing cub, a fire-bird swiftly grasping and lifting the cub, shaking him roughly. As the boy roused two more humans came, both crying out with relief.

Virizion smiled to herself as she returned to her grove. Keep singing little one.

And there's no tellin' who

Cobalion watched with interest as the girl-child clamored across the rocky shores of his cave, showing no fear. How intriguing – a child, who had gotten past his barrier. It had been centuries since a human had ventured across the river. He crossed when he desired to go out. None came to him.

The girl-child seemed fearless in her way, unknowing and uncaring to the danger around her. She hopped across the stones bridging his swift stream, ran down the ledges dipping his inlet, giggled as she climbed up new hill sides. Tiny, spirited little girl, standing with cheer, no sign that she possessed power to cross a god’s barrier. And… A pair of basculin swam to the surface, gurgling semi-threats, but the girl-child smiled and threw them back, seemingly with no fear.

He was fascinated – a child of White in his cave, with the courage to cross his barrier and the bold nature to threaten a basculin in water?

Cobalion ignored the small voice telling him that she simply didn’t understand the threat. It was true enough – quick and amusing and surprising as the girl-child was, the girl-child was a child. He was probably pushing his ideals on her.

That didn’t stop him from darting out, grabbing her by the scruff of her neck and racing for the cave entrance, zigging back and zagging forth to hear her shriek with glee. Her voice echoing off the walls, burst through his hidden cave, running swift and powerful, hooves striking the earth as a hammer to hot metal, cleaving his print for all to see and hope or despair. A mile from his cave, well enough away to disallow curiosity.A sharp sound to let her be found, and he swept away, listening to her tale with one ear.

That it's namin'

The human was a trespasser, a trouble maker, like all humans were. Keldeo watched from the darkness of the moor, gray eyes dark with hatred and disgust. The only reason he hadn’t destroyed the human was because it was a youngling.

He wanted to destroy it, because it was human and it could be nothing but a human, a destroyer, ruiner – but despite his hatred he wasn’t a monster. He wouldn’t destroy a child, no matter how much better off they would all be for it. That didn’t mean he had to like it though. He glared at the human and its traitorous companion. How could any pokemon willing stand with a human? Play with a human, as if it weren’t a ticking time foongus.

But the human and its cub companion didn’t act like monsters. The human ran while the pup chased, and the native Pokemon watched and laughed at their antics. With a huff, Keldeo looked away, determined to ignore the duo.

The plan lasted three and a half minutes, as the game abruptly turned towards Keldeo’s direction. The small human tripped, tumbling head over heels and crashing into the small, pony-like god. Amber eyes grew wide as Keldeo gaped at the human, for a moment to stunned to be angry.

“Pretty,” the human whispered, eyes locked on Keldeo’s mane. The pokemon the human had been playing with darted forward, eyes locked on Keldeo, red-tipped tail twitching in nervousness.

Keldeo rose to his full height, looking down on the human with all the mistrust and power he could gather around him.

The human looked up, eyes calculating in a way no child had the right to, and the Water Musketeer knew.

It figured that a human of Black would be the first to stumble into his home.

Come senators, congressmen
    Please heed the call

Ghetsis Harmonia, one of the most powerful senators in all of Isshu looked across the round table. “That’s all very well and good, but it doesn’t answer our present problem. N has become increasingly unpredictable and disruptive to our goals and none of your present solutions are working.”

“Lord- I mean, Senator Ghetsis,” Rood, the fourth sage, winced as all eyes focused on him. “Perhaps it is time to give our King his desire. We have trained him well, sir! The freedom to travel and see the desolate world crying out for his aid may do him well.”

Zinzolin scoffed. “Our lord is far too important to be allowed to simply wander this filthy country. It is a far better, safer plan for him to stay here, rather than indulge his whims!”

Giallo shot him an equally harsh look. “Brother Zinzolin, don’t be a fool. Our King has made this request everyday for the past year. This is no whim. And he is our King – keeping him from seeing the world he is meant to save will only harm him when the time comes.”

Ryoku nodded with clear reluctance. “I have to agree my lord,” he said frowning. “As much as some of us may dislike this plan, it is clear that keeping Lord N in the castle is doing no one good. Perhaps letting him wander will calm his spirit. A King with wanderlust is no King at all.”

Ghetsis frowned, thinking to himself. After a moment, he nodded. “Yes, my brothers you are correct. N Our King, Lord N, must see the lands he will claim with the dragon’s might. We shall let him out to wander, and satisfy himself. So it has been declared, so it will be.”

“So it will be,” the other six proclaimed.

Come mothers and fathers
    Throughout the land
    And don't criticize
    What you can't understand

“And now, with the pokemon weakened, you toss a Pokeball!” The energetic old man grinned, tossing a Pokeball up and down.

“I’d show you myself, but unfortunately I made my catch of this area years ago. But now that you know how to catch pokemon, you can give it a try for yourself!”

The boy he’d been teaching shot him an annoyed look. “I already told you, I know how to catch pokemon already-“

“Now now, don’t be shy! Here, have a Pokeball! And look, here comes another pokemon!” The elderly teacher grinned, pointing his cane at the patrat. “Try out those techniques!”

The reluctant student glared. “Fine,” he snapped with a dark smirk. “I’ll show you some techniques! Perry, use Gust!”

The small bird pokemon emerged from her Pokeball, wings already flapping to form the gust attack. The wild patrat screeched as the miniature whirlwind lifted it into the air. The second the attack dropped him, the patrat dove for the bird pokemon, Biting down and sinking sharp teeth into the left wing. The pidove let out a shriek and the trainer snarled.

“Perry, hit it with Air Cutter! Now!”

Perry tore her wing free, blood and muscle shining wetly under the sunlight, gray feathers slicked red as she beat her wings, blue energy coating the wing-tips. The right wing beat more strongly, letting the glowing power of the attack fly first. Razors of wind, glowing a brilliant blue sliced through Patrat’s skin. Perry forced herself into the air, wings beating as hard as they could, keeping up her vicious attack.

Eventually, the glowing energy faded and the wounded pidove half-flew, half-fell from the sky, her trainer recalling her to her Pokeball. The patrat was a mass of gore, bones sliced apart and flesh splattered across the ground in fillets.

The trainer turned on his heel, glaring at the speechless old man. “I already have a patrat,” he shrugged coldly, walking towards the Pokemon Center.

The line it is drawn
    The curse it is cast

“Tylou use Razor Shell! Finish him off!” The Challenger grinned triumphantly as her oldest, closest companion's attack sent the volcarona crashing into a wall. The huge bug/fire type crumpled, shredder wings twitching weakly, blood dripping from the deep wounds. The pokemon struggled to right itself, but without its wings to keep it up right it collapsed back, wings fluttering feebly.

“Volcarona! Try to get up,” Alder urged, the Champion worried at the sight of his pokemon’s injury. Volcarona tried once again to rise, but failed. Trilling with fury, the bug/fire type rolled onto his side, sending a shrieking Bug Buzz at the challengers. Tylou roared in pain, tossing his head as his ear drums threatened to burst at the sound.

“Argh!” The Challenger cried out, clutching her head. The intense sound wave began to taper off and she clenched her teeth. “Tylou, shut that overgrown bug up!”

The samurott snarled and charged forward, eyes glowing with a faint blue. The water around the floor and in the ground surged up, forming an enormous wave. The volcarona looked up as the shadow fell over him, and cursed. “Aw hell.”

Surf struck him, and Alder groaned as he looked down at his unconscious pokemon. “I suppose I should thank you for not killing him,” he said, recalling his pokemon. He grabbed another Pokeball, tossing it out onto the field. It burst open, releasing Bouffalant.

The Challenger grinned, clutching a Pokeball of her own. “Don't thank me yet, Alder. Tylou, return! Lily, let's finish this once and for all!” The lilligant burst from her Pokeball with a gleeful laugh.

Bouffalant charged at the laughing dancer, snorting furiously as he wheeled around, head lowered as he used Megahorn. Lily dove to the ground, raising one arm and snapping it forward as she launched Magical Leaf. The attack struck Bouffalant at the elbows and he crashed to the ground. Snarling he lifted himself up and slammed downwards, triggering Earthquake.

Lily screamed as the ground roiled and rocked underneath her, a wave of rock driving upwards and sending her crashing to the ground. Spotting his opponent down, Bouffalant charged forward once again bowing his head, this time for a Head Charge. Just before the attack struck Lily threw up both arms, glowing with a bright green light as she used Giga Drain to draw out his energy.

The charge fell flat as the buffalo pokemon slowed, stumbling. Lily smirked and darted directly into his path, spinning as Petal Dance activated, filling the air with deadly sharp and beautiful petals, the bison trapped in the rushing whirlwind of petals. When the attack ended, Lily swayed in confusion and the challenger prepared to try and snap her out of it.

It turned out however, that she needn't have bothered. When the whirlwind of petals dissipated, Bouffalant lay flat on his back, unconscious and Alder froze, his eyes widening.

The Challenger drew in a swift, shocked breath before cheering, even as the referee made the call.

“Bouffalant is unable to battle! Alder is out of usable Pokemon, the challenger wins! The new champion of Isshu is-!”

For the times they are a-changin'.

[PROLOGUE END]
    Last edited by RaiThunder; 2nd May 2012 at 11:54 PM.
    Review Exchange

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Needless to say, I'm quite confused. Child of White, human of Black? Are you implying the game protagonists? I'm also wondering why you capitalized some Pokémon names and not all of them. At first I thought you capitalized only the names of legendary Pokémon but then you also capitalized Bouffalant so that also leaves me confused.

But it's obvious that you know where you're going with the story and I'll wait until stuff is explained.

Your writing is spot-on as well as your descriptions leaving my only qualms some confusing stuff from the prologue. Though I was shocked by how brutally you had Patrat killed. This is quite interesting, keep it up!

I don't capitalize pokemon names in general, unless they're a Legendary or they lack a name. Alder's Bouffalant and Volcarona don't have names (none of the Gym Leaders or Elite Four have named Pokemon) and so there species name is also their given name. I forgot that most people don't do that, so I'll go add a quick note explaining.

As for the rest, that will be revealed in time.
    Review Exchange

I have to ask, is this a nuzlocke? Because, normally when the authors mention killing Pokemon, it normally is mentioned in a Nuzlocke.

I have to ask, is this a nuzlocke? Because, normally when the authors mention killing Pokemon, it normally is mentioned in a Nuzlocke.
    This is indeed a nuzlocke.
    Review Exchange

I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    Needless to say, I'm quite confused. Child of White, human of Black? Are you implying the game protagonists?
    So um, I can be a little slow, so I just realized what your actual question was. No, the various Musketeers are not referring to the game protagonists. They're referring to White Forest and Black City, for reasons implied in the Myth section.
    Review Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by RaiThunder
    The wild Patrat screeched as the miniature whirlwind lifted it into the air. The second the attack dropped him, the patrat dove for the bird pokemon, Biting down and sinking sharp teeth into the left wing. The Pidove let out a shriek and the trainer snarled.
    You're being inconsistent here, since this particular pidove does have a name you should not capitalize the species name according to your own rules? The same, I assume, goes for the wild patrat you were talking about?

Anyway, it was an interesting read. I really like when poems/songs/whatever are inserted like this. Also, Bob Dylan is boss. I like your mythological background, it's also refreshing since it's quite different from what I'm doing with the various legendaries in my own story.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

You're being inconsistent here, since this particular pidove does have a name you should not capitalize the species name according to your own rules? The same, I assume, goes for the wild patrat you were talking about?
    As far as the Pidove is concerned, I am inconsistent. I remembered that one of the most conventional rules of a Nuzlocke is that a caught pokemon be named. Unfortunately, I remembered it after I had already written the scene. I thought I had gone back and corrected each spot, but I can see I missed some. As far as the Patrat is concerned, I forgot to remove the word 'the' in some places. Patrat doesn't have a name, and so when I specifically refer to it as doing something it should be "Patrat dove for the bird pokemon."

Thanks for pointing this out, I can see it definitely slipped past my betas(who have similar or stricter rules about this).

Anyway, it was an interesting read. I really like when poems/songs/whatever are inserted like this. Also, Bob Dylan is boss. I like your mythological background, it's also refreshing since it's quite different from what I'm doing with the various legendaries in my own story.
    I'm glad you thought this was an interesting read. I have to say, the first few chapters are quite light-hearted, so some of these scenes I added so that people wouldn't be surprised or to horrified by the darker shift that occurs later. Bob Dylan is indeed boss, and when I found that song - by coincidence, because I only remembered the line about "the times they are a-changin'" - I just knew I had to use it in someway.

Also, I'm glad we're doing different things without mythologies! I love crafting mythology and studying it, so I was really eager to create legends and myths for this story.
    Review Exchange

Default TEEN: Three Times the Isshu: Chapter 1

[CHAPTER 1]

I slam my fist down on my alarm clock before sitting up and yawning. I stretched tiredly and rubbed at my eyes with my other hand, laying back down. I scratched blearily at my hair, squinting at the bright sunlight that shone through my window.

Wait.

Sunlight?

I bolted up right, tossing aside my covers as I half-ran, half-tripped getting to my desk, barely remembering to put on my glasses.

Sitting upon it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen – a bright blue gift box wrapped tight with a red bow. It was here. The box. The day. How could I have forgotten for even a second? I ran my fingers over the brightly wrapped box, stroking it reverently, aching to open it. But no. I had to wait for my friends to get here. We promised we’d get our first Pokemon together. I glanced at my clock hopefully – but it was only six – an hour before my friends had planned to show up. Sighing, shoulders slumping, I glanced around my room.

There had to be something for me to do to make the time pass. I ran to the bathroom, stripping out of my pajamas for a shower. Standing under the spray of ice-cold water I winced, but scrubbed diligently, unwilling to wait the long minutes it would take for the water to heat up. Wrapping a towel around my waist, I looked in the mirror.

My slightly tan skin and green eyes were the first things I saw and my reddish-brown hair hung wetly around my face. It’s not all that long; towards the back it reaches to almost my shoulders, but the front and sides of it just barely brushes my cheeks and ears; a stubborn cow-lick at the top of my head stuck straight up. Plenty of people thought it was cute, but they didn't have to deal with it every morning. Grabbing a comb and brush, I set about grooming myself. Then, it was time to brush my teeth and floss – out in the wild I’ll have to get by with spray on tooth-paste and streams. I wanted my teeth as clean as possible. And I wanted to take up time. Anything to make the time go faster.

Looking back at my room, I cast about for something more to do. My bag! I still needed to organize my bag and my supplies.

Crossing the room, I looked at my little corner of supplies – I’d set it all out last night, so I could have everything together. I plopped myself down on the floor, pulling my empty backpack towards me. It was huge, navy blue and gray striped with plenty of pockets and zippers. The biggest pocket, I decided, would be for my clothes and items. I pulled my small stack of clothing towards me; three shirts, a long sleeved one, two pairs of thick, sturdy cargos, a pair of water-proof over trousers and a pair of shorts. Socks. Underwear. A pair of thick boots for the snow/mud/slush; I just knew those would see a lot of use come winter. A thick, warm towel and a small emergency kit, stuffed full with extra gauze and vitamin packets. Atop of that, I piled in a tooth brush, soap set, and tooth paste tablets, alongside some non-perishable foods, trail mix and crackers and dried meats and fruits and some of my dad’s Poke food mixes. I added a portable water purifier, batteries, a lighter, matches, and two full canteens to the very top.

My X-transceiver, practically fresh from the box – I’d received it a week ago. My wallet, with a fresh three thousand penz in it, a travelers’ gift from my parents. I slipped my trainer card in the I.D. slot, stroking my thumb over the smooth bit of plastic. Both went inside a small pocket at the back of the bag, tucked out of sight. That done, I zipped it shut and opened the next largest one, dropping a second first-aid kit, somewhat smaller inside of it. This would be my medicine pocket, I decided. Into the small side pocket, I placed my technical and hidden machine holder. In the opposite pocket, I dropped five miniaturized Pokéballs. I shivered in anticipation at the sight of them – I’d get to use them soon. For real, not for play.

I’m going to be a trainer. Today. I’m going to leave home, and travel the road my sister and my mom and my dad had gone – battling, training, gyms. Adventures and excitement and winning. And I have to win. I have to succeed. I have to. Come home without at least eight badges? No way. Not possible. Once I step out that door, my childhood will be over, my casual days done. It’ll be all about the battles, the victories, the success.

I shake my head, moving on. My sleeping bag I carefully anchor to the bottom of my bag. It’s thick and warm, with a quilted covering over Mareep wool on the inside and a water-proof fabric on the outside. A large blanket was carefully folded and tucked inside it, along with a pillow.

Standing, I cast another yearning look at the box. I wanted my Pokemon. I wanted him, or her I guess, now. Wanted to play with it and make friends and explore. Win with it, battle and explore and succeed with it.

I cast around one last time, looking for anything I might have forgotten or misplaced. I don’t see anything. I head downstairs, fingers sliding across the box as I pass my desk.

There are a few boxes still sitting in the living room – I skirt past them, hearing the plastic crinkle as I accidently brush against the sofas. I can see that dad’s in the kitchen from the moment I step through the doorway. He’s buttering a huge plate of waffles, a pile of eggs and bacon all ready on the table. Bright pink pecha berries spill out of a bowl sitting beside them, and Combee honey and Torterra-tree syrup sit at the table, filling the air with their sweet scent. My mom grins when she sees me.

“Nice to see you’re finally awake honey! I was sure we were going to have to drag you out of bed,” she teases. I grin, hugging her awkwardly. It’s kind of weird having mom home, especially being at home in the kitchen. That’s dad’s domain.

“Morning Mom, morning Dad!”

I try not to let it bother me though, grabbing a plate and spearing a waffle from dad, scooping a big spoonful of pecha berries and pouring them over my plate and covering the whole mess with syrup before digging in.

I’m eating so fast that I hardly manage to taste my food before my plate’s empty and I’m dropping it in the sink, itching to get back upstairs. As I dodge past mom I feel a strong grip at the back of shirt, stopping me.

“Don’t even think about it young man – you put down those dishes and talk to your mother and father!” I pout, looking up at Sasha. My mother’s blaziken gave me an unamused look and walked me back to the table, only releasing my collar once he’d dropped me back in my chair.

I pouted, slinking down in the chair as mom laughed and dad chuckled.

“I know just how you feel champ – my first day I couldn’t stand to wait to leave my hometown and get going!” My dad laughed, gesturing broadly with his fork. My mom snickered.

“Couldn’t wait to get chased out you mean,” she teased. “But sweetie, you’re leaving home! You’re going to go battle the gym leaders, become a master – who knows, you might even battle your big sister!”

I laughed nervously, rubbing the back of my neck. “Well…about that…what if I just wanted to you know…travel? Have fun? I don’t really know if I want to…the gym challenge is pretty…and well…”

“Not take the gym challenge! Ha! That’s a great one son. It’s a family tradition! It’s in your blood, of course you’ll take the gym challenge, you’ll do great!”

“But-“ I tried to cut in.

“And just think of the sights you’ll see and the battles you’ll experience! The Gym Challenge is really the best choice son, there’s nothing better. I mean, adventuring is great – I did it for years you know, and you see so many things but the battles! There’s nothing better!” My mom continued, overriding me.

“And you know son, battling wasn’t my passion, it was always the traveling for me- but it was battling that introduced me to your mother you know. I spotted her across the battle floor in Icirrus City’s Gym and it was love at first bruise!”

“I know dad, you told me that story all the time – “

“And besides, Regina’s told me how much she looks forward to battling you – you have to do that, can’t let your big sister down, now can you?” Mom added, cutting me off again.

“The gym challenge isn’t for everyone, but you should definitely try it out. At least until the fourth badge! You can’t just quit before you start son, even I got myself a few badges.” Well…that was true. Dad didn’t even set out to battle and he got some…

“Heh…yeah, I guess you’re right…what was I thinking…the Gym challenge will be great…” I agreed, wincing. I should have known better than to bring it up, honestly.

Not take the challenge? If mom thought I was serious she’d probably never let me back in the house. Not that it would matter soon – no one was going to be home anymore. Mom was only here for today; she was heading out again later this afternoon. And dad was planning on heading after her within the week – he was only staying that long to wrap up business with his old customers. The house was all packed up, furniture taped and covered, breakables boxed, precious things stored. My room and my parents’ room were the only ones that had been left unwrapped.

I slumped down in my chair, grabbing a pecha berry and biting into it, letting my parents voices roll over me.

“So ah, mom, where are you heading out to again?” I asked, hoping to redirect the conversation.

“I’m heading to Johto for a few months,” she said excitedly. “I’ve been there plenty of times of course, but I’m going to be exploring Mt. Silver with Professor Elm, checking things out, he wants to try and observe the nature of the tyranitar there. You know I’ve been meaning to see if Alexis wants to find a mate, she is an adult now and she’s been so fussy and picky these past few years.”

Definitely the right question then, there was no way mom would stop now. But wait, “Mom, I thought Alexis was going to be with that one trainer, Robert or whatever’s hydreigon?”

She rolled her eyes. “She was, but then the fool went off and lost a battle to some kid’s ariados. She’s decided she won’t mate with anyone so weak, never mind the weakness to bug types. Alexis is such a flighty girl, I’m hoping I’ll find her someone before spring.”

“Of course, wouldn’t want her rampaging again like last spring,” I agreed. Just the thought gave me chills; last spring was Alexis’ second heat and she rejected all her potentials. Her cycle was brutal – on her temper and on the house. “So you’re staying in Johto until spring?” I asked with some surprise. That was only a trip of what, five months?

“No, we’ll stay through the spring, even if she doesn’t find someone. I’ll probably come back in late April, early May. That’ll give you plenty of time to work on your journey without me or your father breathing down your neck,” she grinned.

So eight months then. That was more like mom; she preferred the long involved trips. “Dad, you’re staying with mom the whole time?”

“Nah, I’m going to stay with her until the end of January and then I’m heading to Hoenn to check out the castform up at the Hopkin’s Weather Institute. The eggs will have hatched by then and I really want to observe the parental characteristics of the species; there really isn’t much information to go on, it’s a shame really.”

I blinked. “Castform? Those are the weather pokemon right? They change form depending on the weather, part of the amorphous and fairy groups, pretty rare pokemon? They’re actually going to let you study them?”

Dad beamed. “You have been reading my books! Yes, I had to pull a lot of favors and talk to a lot of people, but I’m going to be allowed to study them for the entire hatchling season – five months. It will be very educational, I’m sure.”

I nodded, blushing faintly. I hadn’t thought dad had noticed me taking his books; he had so many of them after all. So dad would be gone until mid-summer. Hm. “Maybe we should pay the neighbors to watch the house; that’s almost a year of it being empty. Unless you’re coming home for the summer mom?”

She shook her head. Of course not, why would she be staying in this empty house?

“I’ll be home for a few weeks of course, I’ll no doubt have a few more Pokemon to work with, socialize them a bit, but then I’ll be heading up to Chargestone Cave for a few weeks. I want to track down some eelektrik and eelektross. I can’t catch any of course, but I want to observe them for awhile.”

“You think you’ll be able to find one Tricia? Those wild eelektross are rather evasive, especially in the summer season – breeding and all, they’ll most certainly be in the deeper levels,” My dad pointed out, sounding interested.

I watched them debate the finer points of her exploration for a while before standing and walking to the fridge to grab a few bottles of wiki-persim blend juice. Closing the fridge, I turned to look back at my parents. They were both completely engrossed in their debate, and I shook my head with a faint grin. Leaving the kitchen, I was stopped by a talon on my shoulder. Sasha looked at me, shaking his head at my parents before releasing my shoulder to give a one-taloned hug.

I hugged back, clinging tightly.

I didn’t say anything. Neither did he.

------

I closed the door to my room, immediately going to the package on my desk. Surely. Surely it was time now, surely my friends were due to be here, and surely I could meet my Pokemon.

I glanced at my desk, nervously checking the time.

My jaw dropped in disbelief. Fifteen minutes until seven, the clock told me. I might have whimpered, staring in horror. How could there still be fifteen minutes on the clock! I showered, re-packed, ate breakfast, talked to my parents – how could all of that have only taken forty-five minutes! It wasn’t fair.

Grumbling, I dropped face down on my bed, resisting the urge to start whining. There was nothing to do – I mean, I packed and repacked, showered, gotten changed…there was no way I was going back downstairs, so anything down there was out. There was never anything good on television at six-forty six in the morning, and I’ve not only read all my books, I’ve packed and put them away in preparation for this day.

Six forty-seven. Thirteen minutes, at least. I can handle that. Really. It’s just, I’m so excited and I want to open it and why is time moving so slowly? Great Dialga, it’s like time is going as slow as possible! Laying on my back, I dropped my hands to my face, digging my fingers into my temples in frustration. It’s taking so long; I just want to open the box, why are my friends tormenting me this way –

The doorbell rang. For an instant, I froze, before catapulting to my feet and rushing for my door. Well, attempting to rush for the door.

Ow. I really should have moved my bag from the center of the floor, I mused, as I rolled onto my back, fingers searching for the glasses that had been knocked off by my fall.

I heard the sound of footsteps on stairs and hauled myself upright, squinting as I tried to find my glasses. “Oh come on, did I fall that hard?” I asked myself as I patted the floor, crawling on my hands and knees, feeling for my glasses. The last thing I wanted was to break my favorite pair today of all days.

A calm, female voice answered my grumbling. “Yes, you really did. Looking for these?” My glasses dangled from long fingers.

I grasped for them, plucking them from her grasp carefully and sliding them on, carefully resettling the frames on the bridge of my nose. The world snapped back into focus, and I smiled sheepishly at my friend.

“Thanks.”

“Don’t worry about it – or rather, you can pay me back by telling me how you ended up on the floor,” she smirked. I pouted, feeling a faint blush come to my face.

“I…might have, sort of, accidentally, trippedovermyowntwofeetrushingforthedoor,” I explained in a rush, hoping she wouldn’t be able to understand.

Like that would happen. She laughed, curly hair swaying in its grumpig-tails. My friend was used to my methods, unfortunately.

“Tripping over yourself all ready? That certainly won’t do – if we had to delay our journey because you were hurt…well, I wouldn’t. So it’s a good thing you didn’t damage yourself.”

I laughed shortly, “I wouldn’t expect you to, Donna. Besides, when’s the last time I got hurt from falling?” I paused. “Don’t answer that.”

Donna smirked at me, obviously considering ignoring my request. “Hm. All right, but you’ll owe me,” she decided. I pouted at her; Donna always called in the debts she was owed.

“So, have you decided which Pokemon you want?” I asked, hoping to distract her. Maybe she’d forget. Or at least, not have me do something embarrassing in return. I never wanted to wear a dress again.

She smirked. “But of course. Oshawott may not be the sweeper that an emboar can be, or the combination master that serperior are trained as, but they have a good move-diversity and make for an excellent start up. And of course, they can learn Surf.”

I nodded eagerly, “Mhm! The oshawott line is pretty cool; the only water-type pokemon to use blades, masters of sword-fighting on a level even gallade are hard-pressed to keep up with…Just the kind of starter for the future champion!” I wonder how this oshawott will turn out.

“That’s right – a powerful pokemon for a powerful trainer. What about you – have you decided which Pokemon you want?”

I blinked at the question. “Well… Both tepig and snivy are great pokemon. You already mentioned how emboar are sweeper pokemon – their attack is excellent, but their speed is greatly lacking. Serperior have the speed and the defensive power, but their attack is weak. So…I’m not sure. I’ll know when Branigan gets here – he hasn’t told me which one he would prefer. Has he told you anything?” I gave her my best innocent look.

“No and even if he had I wouldn’t tell you – I like watching you squirm,” she teased.

“Meanie. You’re just protecting your husbando,” I proclaimed as dead-pan as possible. The look on her face was worth it.

“What. No. Do not even joke about that – I am no one’s ‘waifu’. Especially not Branigan’s,” she smirked, tossing her head. “You know I don’t date anyone prettier than me.”

“But no one’s prettier than you my dear!” I mock gasped. “Well…except Branigan. I’m sorry to say, but I have to agree. He’s much too pretty for either of us.”

Donna grinned, tossing her head, grumpig-tails fluttering. “Well then, since we’re stuck waiting for our oh-so-late friend-“

“Late? Not only does that clock say six fifty-five, but one as awe-inspiring as I am is never late.”

We both turned at the voice, me with a grin, and Donna with a scoff. “Branigan, please, don’t embarrass yourself – you know as well as I do that if it weren’t for your mother kicking you out of the bathroom every morning you would have never made it to school on time.”

Branigan pouted, placing one hand over his heart. “My darling, it takes work to look this fabulous everyday! I can’t simply leave without looking extravagant – especially not today of all days!”

I had to agree, it had to take some work to look as good as Branigan did every day. Today was no exception – an ocean green shirt shimmered beneath a black-and-green vest, black slacks and Island-leather loafers shining freshly-waxed on his feet. A similarly colored newsboy hat sat on curly hair as my tall friend spread his arms, inviting us to take in the sight.

“You look great!” I agreed, looking at his cap in particular. I loved those caps, they were so cool!

“You look entirely unprepared,” Donna deadpanned. She crossed her arms, as she rolled her eyes at our friend. “We’re about to go on a journey in the wild. And you’re wearing slacks and a vest with your Island loafers.” The 'you're an idiot' went unsaid, but we both knew she was thinking it.

“My dearest Donna, you wound me yet again. As if I was ever such a fool! I fully understand that we will be leaving on a great journey – but Route 1 is a flat path and Accumula but a few hours walk. When we reach the Pokemon Center, I’ll change. Until then, I will look as fabulous as I desire.” Branigan flipped his hand at Donna in a casual dismissal and she shook her head at him.

“You’re an idiot. And I’m quite sure a lillipup will come running to gnaw at those fancy shoes and then where will you be?” She asked with a sharp tone, one hand on her hip.

“In tears. These are my favorite loafers,” Branigan answered after a few moments. For a moment all three of us stared at down at his black loafers.

Then we burst out laughing, Branigan giggling, covering his mouth with one hand, Donna snickering, one hand over her stomach, and me, laughing full out, hard enough I could feel tears at the corners of my eyes.

It was good to have friends.

After a few minutes we calmed down, until there was just the occasional hiccup of laughter between us. Donna was the first to stop, I was the last.

“Heh, so we’re all here,” I grinned.

“And that great big box is just waiting for us,” Branigan added.

“So let’s open it,” Donna smirked.

As one, we converged on my desk staring at the brightly wrapped gift. It looked so inconspicuous, this box with the keys to our futures inside. “Well go on, open it!” Donna snapped at me.

“Yes, don’t hold us in suspense, sweetheart. Open it,” Branigan added, both of them staring at me. Donna’s brown eyes were eager; Branigan’s amber eyes excited.

“Me? You want me to open it?” I squeaked, looking at them in surprise.

“The box did come to your house. And you did fall flat on your face in excitement for it. Just go ahead and open it,” Donna ordered curtly while I blushed and stammered.

“You fell on your face? Sweetie, what have I told you about damaging your pretty shoujo-bishonen looks? You need to be more careful,” I was informed sternly, Branigan wagging a finger at me as if I were a naughty child.

I tossed my head up with an imperious pout. “I did not fall on my face! You have no proof of that.” Turning I put my hand on the box, feeling my fingers tremble, just a little. It’s really time.

First things first, I pull off the simple white card. ‘My soon-to-be trainers, I am pleased to gift these Pokemon to you. Let them be your companions and aid you on your journey to greatness. Meet me in my lab as soon as possible.– Doctor Olivia Juniper.’

My voice trembled as I read the card out loud, but neither of my friends laughed. Donna’s face was composed, a determined glint in her eyes. Branigan was smiling, Mesprit-bow lips just slightly upturned. I turned back to the box, tugging on end of the delicate red-bow. As it came loose I lifted the box top, smiling down at the contents.

Three Pokéballs were nestled in white Styrofoam. Through the red tops I could see the miniaturized forms of a snivy, oshawott, and tepig. I stepped back, still holding the top.

“W-well, who wants to go first? Donna? Bran?” I asked, trembling in a combination of nerves and sheer excitement.

“I will,” Donna declared, stepping forward and swiftly claiming the oshawott’s ball. I looked at Branigan and he smiled.

“I’ll go next hun. That snivy is simply the serperior choice after all,” We all grinned at the lame pun. “Besides – we could all tell you really wanted the tepig, dear.” I blinked at their knowing grins, startled.

“What do you mean you knew I wanted the tepig? I didn’t even declare a favorite!” I gaped, even as moved for the box. Branigan withdrew the snivy’s Pokéball as Donna called out her oshawott behind us.

“Honestly sweetheart, you love fire pokemon, and we’re your best friends. It’s kind of our job to know you better than you know yourself,” He pointed out calmly, sending out the snivy as I grasped the tepig’s Pokeball.

I smiled down at it the ‘ball, seeing the tepig’s face pressing eagerly against the glass. “Well, come on out!” I grinned eagerly as I tossed the Pokéball in the air. A flash of white, and the small pokemon stood in front of me.

He stood about a foot tall, a mostly orange body with black facial markings, long black ears like bandana tails, a thick yellow stripe over a short snout, a cute bobble-like tail extending from the band of black coloration around the lower stomach and pelvic region, the bobble the same ruddy-red as the nose at the end of that twitching snout, and shining brown eyes. I’m not ashamed to admit my first desire was to squeal and cuddle my partner. He was – is – adorable.

“Hey buddy,” I practically whispered, voice vanishing as my throat tightened. This moment – it was really here. It’s really happening. A sudden fit of nerves hit me. What if he didn’t like me? What if we couldn’t get along?

The tepig didn’t seem to hear me, and thankfully didn’t notice my mild panic. He was far too busy bouncing around excitedly, moving this way and that, bright eyes taking in the sights and sounds of my room. Finally, he swivels around, long ears flapping and grins at me, eyes wide with excitement, hooves pounding the floor with jittery movements.

“Hi hi!” He squeaked in a high-pitched voice. “My name is Fuego Speeds Across the Sky, and this place is so cool, we’re not in the lab and you’re a human and this is so awesome!”

I laughed out loud, the nervous tension and excitement knocked out of me. This was – my partner was hilarious. That name. I burst out laughing again at the thought.

“Heeeeeeey!” Fuego squeaked at me, “Why are you laughing? Are you laughing at me? Did I say something funny? Come on, tell me!”

I giggled a little more at that before I calmed down, feeling moisture at the corners of my eyes and a smile at my lips.

“I’m laughing because I’m happy. You’re so…perfect.” It was true. I didn’t expect…I never expected a partner like this – so effortlessly happy and seemingly carefree. I always wanted a partner I could be friends with, like what my mom had with Sasha or Dad had with his Zebstrika, Aaron. Fuego had just blown all my worries out of the water, all my nerves. Everything from his cheerful eyes and fast, excited speech told me that I had nothing to worry about. How could I not get along with someone so friendly?

“You’re happy? That’s good! Everyone should be happy! Being happy is the best feeling in the world,” Fuego grinned, stepping forward. “So you’re my partner right? This is going to be so much fun, we’re going to get to do all kinds of stuff and go on adventures and – wait! You can – you can understand me! That’s amazing!” He shouted suddenly, backing up and standing on his hind legs for a moment, flailing his short forelegs.

I blinked at the sudden shift in gears, sitting back on my knees. “I guess I forgot about that,” I said after a minute of watching my partner pokemon flail. “It’s something that…runs in my family. Um…sorry,” I said sheepishly, “I haven’t had to actually explain any of this stuff for a few years. All the folks in town know, and dad tells most of the pokemon he works with.”

“Basically, it’s just that – something that runs in the family. My mom says it comes from our homeland – White Forest. I’ve never been there, but my grandmother lived there until she moved here, to Nuvema Town. She’s told me the history of the place and all the legends of our gift, and mom’s explained the biology. But I don’t think you’d care to hear about that part,” I concluded with a grin.

Fuego grinned. “Nope! Biology is boring! But I’m so glad you can understand me, it makes everything so awesome because now we don’t have to worry about miscommunications and hand signals and signs or need needles!”

I shook my head in disagreement. “Biology is fascinating! Studying living beings, studying life has taught us so much – and we’re still learning more every day.”

“Yeah, but why study that in a book or through a mic-ro-scope when you can go out and explore? You know, live, have adventures, and take risks!” He pointed out earnestly.

I paused, considering that, before nodding. “Yeah, you’re right. But studying from books and through experimentation and observation is important as well. You need both to really understand something.”

“Yep! And that’s why we’ll be great partners – because we both use different methods! We’ll mix and combine, just like in Super Sentai when they make the Megazord!” I blinked at Fuego, wondering when or where he’d gotten to see Super Sentai.

“Does…does Dr. Juniper watch Super Sentai?” I asked in disbelief.

Fuego snorted before bursting into laughter. “No! She thinks it’s ‘silly’ and ‘unscientific’. But Fennel and Amanita would watch it with us sometimes.”

“Ah. I can see that – Amanita’s really fu-“

“As fascinating as your conversation seems, River and I are ready to meet Dr. Juniper. So are Branigan and Rioghan.” Donna’s curt voice cut me off, and I looked up, startled.

“Oh, I’m sorry! Wait – River? Rioghan?” I looked at my friend’s starters, taking in the look of them. River was the Oshawott, standing calmly a foot away from her trainer. Her small arms were crossed, claws idly tapping the scallop on her chest. Rioghan, the Snivy, had wrapped himself idly about Branigan’s neck, head lifted up, and watching with unblinking amber eyes. His tail hung down near Branigan’s jacket chest pocket, and I noted three small holes in the leaf-life tail.

“Rioghan, darling. It means ‘Young King’ or ‘Great Queen’. A perfect fit for my proud new partner,” Branigan explained calmly.

“River. I will be most disappointed if I need to explain the reasoning behind such a name. Now do come on – Branigan and I have decided we want to battle, before we meet with Dr. Juniper.” Donna’s voice was calm, but I could hear a thin thread of amusement threaded through the words.

I grinned. “I suppose we’ll ignore the part of the message that said ‘as soon as possible’?”

Donna and Branigan exchanged innocent looks. “Whatever do you mean? Battling is an important part of becoming acquainted with ones partner.”

“And becoming acquainted with ones partner early on shall surely further the rich meaning of our journey,” Branigan purred, cheerful amusement in his green eyes.

“Well, I’m glad to say that you’re incredible logic and emotional manipulation – I mean, persuasion – has led me to agree with your proposal,” I gave into the inevitable, deciding that if I was going to battle – and I was, even if they dragged me kicking and screaming – I could do it with grace and poise.

…In the back of my mind, a voice laughed mockingly at the thought. I shook it off, smiling at my friends. “You two get started? I want to bring my things down and do a last minute final check before we head to Dr. Juniper’s lab.”

Donna nodded, “That’s fine. Don’t think you can get out of battling though – I want to see what kind of fighters our starters make.”

Branigan had already re-claimed his Pokeball, Rioghan wrapped tighter about his throat and shoulders now, looking more like a scarf than the drape he’d looked like before. He pulled open the door before pausing, casually pushing the door back open with his hip. “I just remembered – Sasha will kill us all if we ruin his yard and my mother will remove my strikingly lovely head from my shoulders if we try and battle anywhere near the orchard or greenhouse.”

Donna paused, River already waiting at the door. “We will simply have to battle near my house,” she said, face composed and voice calm. I shared a glance with Branigan and simultaneously we agreed to not bring it up. River looked up cautiously, scanning the room with a look of intense suspicion, though she never said a word. It was actually kind of scary, how silent she was.

“That sounds like a fantastic idea,” Branigan declared loudly, smiling widely. “A battle at the junction between my own humbly fantastic abode and that of the Lady Donna – just what the process of growing acquainted with one’s partner demands.”

“Definitely! We can each battle each other and whoever is not battling can sit under that big tree between your houses. It’s far enough from your mom’s Orchard that we should be able to battle their without freaking out ‘Tori, Bran’,” I added to keep up the cheerful atmosphere. Donna smiled slightly, giving us a grateful look.

“So go on, shoo!” I ordered them, flicking my hands in the universal ‘get away’ sign. “I’ll meet you guys there.”

With a laugh, my friends departed. I turned to the box, placing the top back on and dropping it on the floor before turning to my bag. I could see Fuego exploring my room in the corner of my eye, so I focused on my task, hunting deep within my bag to find the stash of clothing.

“Come on, come on,” I muttered to myself, fingers wriggling around, touching various fabrics and materials. “Where are you… Got it!” I cried out with triumph, carefully tugging out my prize. A black belt made of faux leather, clipped with six small indents – a trainer belt, for carrying Pokéballs. Clipping it around my waist, I carefully snapped Fuego’s Pokéball into the first slot, practically shivering in my excitement. This was so cool!

Hoisting my bag onto my back, I looked at myself in the mirror. I liked what I saw – I was still small, still fairly scrawny and pretty, but now I also looked… stronger, I guess. More confident. Wearing the trainer belt, with my trainer card, and my starter pokemon’s Pokéball clipped to my belt, I felt more confident than I can ever remember.

“Hey! What’s that? Is it ‘clothes’? Can I have some?”

I started, looking down at Fuego, who had somehow managed to climb onto my bed. “Eh? This is a trainer belt, for holding Pokeballs. It’s not clothes, but it is a clothing accessory – something to go with clothes,” I added at his confused look. “You really want clothes?”

My tone must have expressed my incredulousness, because Fuego fidgeted, looking down as he scuffed one hoof on my bed. “Well…yeah I mean…sorta…”

I felt bad, and picked him up. “Hey, look at me. I didn’t mean it like that – I’ll find something for you to wear, if you want. Okay?”

He grinned, bounding out of my lap. “Definitely okay!”

Walking to my closet, I rummaged around for something Fuego could wear. I didn’t own any accessories, so human clothes would have to do. In the back of my closet I spotted a somewhat crumpled top hat, and above it a bright red scarf. I pulled both out and held them up for Fuego to see.

“How’s this?” I asked him. He literally squealed with excitement, which made me laugh.

“Yes yes yes! I really get to have them?” Fuego squeaked at me.

“Yep. Now hold still!” I carefully wrapped the short scarf around his neck, looping it so there was no chance of it hanging down and catching around his hocks or tangling on his dewclaws. Once the scarf was on I did my best to unwrinkle the hat before putting it on his head. A moment later I snatched it off, and reached a pair of scissors.

“Watcha doing?” He asked, bouncingly, torn between watching me and looking at his new scarf.

“Cutting holes for your ears – there, let’s see if that fits better,” I motioned him closer and then carefully pulled his ears through the holes, settling the hat against his head.

Picking him up, I carried him to the closet mirror. “What do you think?”

Fuego squealed happily, legs kicking in excitement at his reflection. “I like it! Clothes are so cool!”

I chuckled, reaching down to put my backpack back on. “I’m glad you think so, because we really need to go meet the others. Let’s go!” I started for the door, pulling it open.

“Wait!” I turned around, one hand still on the door knob.

“Yeah?”

“You haven’t told me your name yet! It’s pretty silly for me to not know your name – I don’t wanna have to yell ‘Hey you’ every time I want to talk to you,” he informed me in what I imagined was as close to a stern voice as he ever got.

I blinked, surprised. “I really haven’t told you my name? I’m sorry, it totally slipped my mind,” I knelt down, holding out a hand. In return, he held out a hoof.

“Fuego Shoots Across the Sky, my name is Dexter Hartell.” I grinned, “And you know what? I can already tell that today is the start of what’s going to be an amazing adventure.”

[DEXTER 1 END]
    Last edited by RaiThunder; 3rd May 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Review Exchange

Waifu? Bishonen? I like it! xD

Fuego was... an interesting character to say the least. He sounds like he just hatched from an egg the other day...

An ability to talk with pokemon that runs in the family? I am... skeptical, it sounds sue-ish. But, uh, sure, no big deal.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast