Hello, dearest Workshop community!
Today, we officially begin the Summer Awards, using the same categories and rules as in the Spring Awards last March, but with a twist: this time around, users are allowed to nominate and vote for the Honorary Mentions (now named Writer's Choice), and the moderators of the Workshop will serve as a judge panel for the story tier nominations!
How does the judge panel work? Well, the Workshop staff has voted fellow staff into eight story categories, according to the perceived skill each of us has on writing for that category. Most of the judges have awards in the category they will be judging, and have at least one story written that qualifies for it, therefore proving the experience we have, which we hope will be enough!
The Summer Awards themselves will be from today, July 1, to the end of this same month, July 31. The nomination period lasts from July 1 to July 11, for the following categories, and with the following rules:
- Best Long Story - Any fic that is or will be longer than 2 chapters.
- Best Archived Story - Any fic that has been in the archive since before March 1.
- Best Atlas Content - The fic with the best auxiliary content in the Author's Atlas subforum.
- Best Short Story - Any fic that is 1 or 2 chapters and will not be lengthened past that.
- Best Alternative Work - Any fic that is not a typical story. (eg. poetry, script, study etc.)
Story Tier (decided by judges)
- Best Journey Fic: Gastly's Mama - A fic that deals with a character's journey, usually collecting badges, ribbons or similar.
- Best Shipping Fic: Kayi-chan - A fic that deals with a romantic relationship involving two or more characters.
- Best Future Fic: Legacy - A fic that deals with events after the canon in terms of chronology.
- Best Backstory: LightningTopaz - A fic that "fills in the blanks" of the canon; this can be chronologically before the canon or can just concern events that are unseen in the canon.
- Best Dark Fic: Ryuutakeshi - A fic that deals with dark and/or grave events and/or themes.
- Best Non-Pokemon/Crossover Fic: Aladar - A fic that concerns a fandom other than Pokemon or is a crossover between Pokemon and another fandom.
- Best Crack/Parody Fic: Drakon - A fic that is comedy based or in some way makes fun of the canon etc.
- Best Other/Original Fic: Jabberwocky - A fic that does not fit into any of the above categories.
- Best Main Character - A character who is the main protagonist.
- Best Supporting Character - A character who is not the main protagonist.
- Best Antagonist Character - A character whose main role is that of an enemy, be it as a villain, rival or something similar.
- Best Take On A Canon Character - A character that is based on a canon character.
- Best Original Character - A character that is not based on a canon character.
- Best Pokemon Character - A Pokemon character.
- Best Newcomer - A user who has started posting in the Writer's Workshop since March 1.
- Best Reviewer - A user who leaves good reviews.
- Best Moderator Fic - Any fic posted by any of the moderators. [A list of moderators can be found at the bottom of the Writer's Workshop forum]
- Best Moderator Character - Any character created by any of the moderators.
Eligibility For Awards
Main: All fanfics that were created or updated from March 1 to July 1 are eligible for nominations. SuBuWriMo stories are all eligible.
Exception: The Best Archived Story must be in the Fanfics Archive before March 1. Also, Workshop moderator fanfics and characters can be nominated for the Writer's Choice without time restrictions.
Nominators and Voters
Main: Users registered before July 1 may nominate and vote for the Awards and Writer's Choice. They cannot nominate or vote for their own work, however. Users may nominate two fics/characters for each category but may only vote for one.
Exception: Workshop moderators cannot nominate for any category, but will vote as a judge panel on the Story Tier.
Main: Users must nominate at least for one Format category, one Story category and one Character category. They can nominate multiple tier categories and/or multiple candidates for the same category if they wish to do so. There's no Writer's Choice requirement, it's fully voluntary.
Exception: If a user nominates one for all the categories within a tier, they can be exempt from nominating in all other tiers.
Main: Users must vote for at least one Format category and one Character category. They can also vote for the Writer's Choice categories, but it's optional. They only have one vote per category.
Exception: In case of a tie, announced at the end of the voting period, the users won't be allowed to vote anew. The moderators will decide the Award winner.
Have fun, and good luck to all eligible authors and their works!