TEEN: Stainless Steel: Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn (Chapter 25) - Page 6

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel: Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn (Chapter 25)

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Stainless Steel: Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn

Is it Norman's dad then XD

Blog Entries

Chapter 8: The Little Water-Type that Could
    Baltoy zig-zagged irritably in the rain, trying in vain to avoid the cold falling drops. Aside from a quick trip to the Pokémon Center to heal Beldum, it, along with Steven and Wallace, headed straight for Oldale Town.

“Sorry you have to walk in this, Baltoy,” Steven said. “Try to stay under the trees once we get outside the city.”

Baltoy simply grunted and turned its face to the sky, and continued to spin in awkward patterns on its pointed foot.

Steven shrugged, and turned his attention to Route 102 ahead of him. In the distance, he could see the top of the Pokémon Center in Oldale Town. The route itself was very beautiful. A path wound along the route, carving its way through the thickly-growing trees. A pond lay serenely on the opposite end, near the small town, with bunches of lily pads clustered around the banks.

A few Zigzagoon raced along, partially obscured by the tall grass, darting towards the cover of trees. An unseen Poochyena barked. Several Wurmple had curled under the safety of a wide-reaching tree. Marill bathed gleefully in the pond, squeaking with joy in the pitter-patter of the falling water.

Steven marveled at the sight. He wouldn't have seen this if he hadn't ran away. He'd have no idea of the beauty his home region boasted. Rainy days in Rustboro weren't the most pleasant sight, after all.

Apparently, Wallace noticed Steven's wide-eyed expression. “Steven, is something wrong?”

Steven smiled. “It's so beautiful...” he said.

Wallace smiled in reply. “The Hoenn region is rough around the edges, but elegant and beautiful at her core.”

Steven chuckled to himself.

Wallace suddenly gasped dramatically. “What is it?” Steven said. “Team Millennium again?” Steven's fingers gripped Beldum's Poké Ball.

“Nope!” Wallace replied, pointing at a large, broad leaf moving across the ground.

“What is that?” Steven asked, feeling his body relax.

“Lotad! I've heard they can be used to Surf, and they carry Pokémon across water on their leaves,” Wallace explained.

Upon closer inspection, Steven could just barely see short, stubby legs pushing the Pokémon through the grass eastward toward the pond. “Lotad-lo-lo-lo,” it chanted, as if urging itself forward.

“Isn't it grand?” Wallace said, dropping to his hands and knees and craning his neck to admire the little water-type. For what seemed like hours, Wallace just sat there watching the Lotad crawl across the drenched ground. Steven scratched the back of his head, somewhat annoyed. Baltoy did the same.

Finally, Steven spoke up. “Will you just catch it already?”

Wallace jolted out of his stupor. “Oh, right. Go, Marill!” he shouted, standing up and tossing the tiny blue mouse's Poké Ball high into the air with a dramatic gesture.

Marill squealed delightedly as it manifested next to the Lotad. Lotad looked dumbly up at Marill, and let out a quiet cry.

“Marill! Use Tackle!” Wallace said, flicking his arm out. Marill lunged forward and slammed into the Lotad, knocking the wild Pokémon onto the leaf on its back. The Lotad's legs wiggled in the air as Marill charged in for another Tackle attack, sending it tumbling over onto its legs again.

Lotad growled, and vines extended from its feet, writhing like snakes through the ground, and sprung up around Marill, who cried out as its vitality was sapped. Lotad, strength renewed, growled, “Lo.” The roots promptly decayed and vanished.

“Was that Absorb?” Wallace wondered aloud. “Why, it will make the perfect addition to my team! Marill, use Tackle again!”

Before Marill could launch its attack, Lotad glowed white for a split-second, and then a yellow powder spilled from beneath the brim of its leaf, and converged on Marill, causing it to freeze in place.

“Stun Spore?” Wallace said aloud, again to nobody in particular. “Even better! Marill, Tackle!”

Marill shot an angry glare at its trainer, but otherwise made no movements.

“Wallace, paralyzed Pokémon can't move,” Steven interrupted.

Wallace's face reddened, but he quickly shrugged it off. “No matter! We will fight valiantly to the last man! Marill, return!” he said, recalling the spherical water-type to its Poké Ball.

“Now, go! Feebas!” Wallace said, releasing the brown fish onto the field.

“Feeb...” the Feebas droned.

“Use Water Pulse! Defeat Lotad!” Wallace shouted.

Immediately, water began to well up around Feebas's body, this time to much higher levels due to the deluge. Lotad responded with another Stun Spore, but the yellow powder had no effect and was rendered inert the instant it came into contact with the swirling, flowing ball of water.

Then Feebas launched the sphere, and it crashed down around Lotad with immense force, sending it tumbling backwards several times. Lotad quickly recovered, shook itself back into focus, and attacked with another Absorb.

“Fee!” cried Feebas as the roots thrust up around its ragged body and leeched away its energy.

“When the roots come crumbling down, use Water Pulse again!” Wallace commanded.

Feebas closed its eyes tight in concentration as the roots withered away, drawing more water around itself.

Suddenly, Lotad darted forward into the sapphire orb, stopping just short of Feebas, and then quickly retreated, causing Feebas to lose focus and drop the ball of water.

“Feebas, use Tackle!” Wallace said. Feebas launched itself forward with its fins and slammed head-on into the Lotad, and the two collapsed to the ground.

“Get up, Feebas! Rise! Use your Tackle once more!” Wallace ordered.

Lotad struggled back to its feet first, and, before Feebas could do the same, launched another Absorb. Wallace's jaw dropped as the roots drained the last of Feebas's energy, and it fell onto it's side, unable to continue battling. Wallace recalled the Pokémon, and tossed a third Poké Ball- one that Steven hadn't seen in use before.

“Go! Magikarp! You will be the victor!” Wallace said, releasing the red-scaled, yellow-finned fish onto the field.

Magikarp flopped weakly, opening and closing its mouth repeatedly. “Magi...” it muttered lazily.

“Lo-o-o-o-o-o-o!” Lotad laughed.

“Magikarp! Now, attain victory with Splash!” Wallace said, winking at his final Pokémon.

The little water-type immediately slammed its white tail into the air, launching itself up toward the clouds like a cannonball, so high that Steven almost lost sight of it before it came crashing back down on top of Lotad, instantly knocking the wild Pokémon out, and bounced off back onto the ground.

“Poké Ball! Capture my dreams!” Wallace called, producing an empty capsule from his backpack and tossing it at the downed Lotad, which was enveloped in a bright flash of light. The Poké Ball wiggled once... twice... three times... and settled.

“Yes! We did it! We caught a Lotad!” Wallace shouted victoriously. He dove forward and wrapped his arms around his Magikarp, which flailed against his chest.

“Great job, now return!” Wallace said, retreating Magikarp into its Poké Ball. He walked forward slowly and grabbed the newly-occupied Poké Ball, and attached both to his belt. He turned to face Steven.

“So what do you think?” he asked.

“I think... It was very dramatic,” Steven answered, careful not to offend his friend.

“Great!” Wallace said, beaming. “I'm practicing for my Pokémon Contest challenge!”

“That's... um, that's cool,” Steven replied. “But I think you could condense it just a little.”

“Hmm...” Wallace paused. “I guess you're right. Well then, I'm going to practice every day until I earn Feebas the Master Rank beauty ribbon!”

Steven smiled. “Let's get going. Baltoy's not happy, and I'm getting soaked,” he suggested.

“Yeah. I guess we should get to Oldale soon,” Wallace agreed.

The two turned eastward and continued walking toward the next town. Baltoy grunted exasperatedly, darting through the open areas to the safety of the trees only when it was forced. It growled at wild Pokémon that approached it out of curiosity, scaring them back into the foliage, where they watched it keep on its way, following Steven, who chuckled at its stubbornness.

When they came to the pond near the entrance to Oldale Town, Steven could see eyes watching them from beneath the groups of lily pads and realized they were Lotad as well.

And then the foliage gave way to the open air of Oldale Town. Baltoy leapt to Steven's ankles, following downwind of the boy to keep out of the brunt of the rain.

To the south rose the red roof of the Oldale Pokémon Center. Steven and Wallace passed gratefully into the inviting warm air and light of the building, and the nurse greeted them welcomingly.

“Hello! Welcome to the Oldale Town Pokémon Center! My name's Joy; what can I do for you?” she asked as the two boys walked up to her counter.

“I need my Pokémon healed, Nurse Joy,” Wallace said, detaching all four Poké Balls from his belt and handing them to the nurse.

Joy took them and and placed each individually on the healing machine. She looked much younger than the other nurses, perhaps fourteen or so.

“So, ma'am,” Steven said.

“Yes?” Joy returned.

“You don't see a Pokémon Center nurse as young as you often...”

“Oh, right. My mother is the nurse here, but she's left me in charge while she deals with a situation in Littleroot Town, just to the south of here, on the other end of Route 101,” Joy explained.

A rotund, pink Chansey appeared through the door to the back rooms, and approached Joy. “Chansey,” it said, shaking its head..

“Chansey? So there's been no calls from Mom?” she said, disappointed.

“Chansey,” Chansey answered sadly.

Joy nodded and turned to retrieve Wallace's Poké Balls from the healing machines and handed them to him. “Thanks,” Wallace said.

“You're welcome,” Joy replied flatly.

Suddenly, a boy about Wallace's age burst through the doors to the Pokémon Center and collapsed to his hands and knees, hyperventilating and obviously winded. Steven rushed to the boy's side and helped him onto his feet.

He had dark brown hair and large, frightened eyes. He gasped for air, his entire body shaking, drained.

“What's wrong? What is it?” Steven asked.

“Help,” the boy managed. “Mill-” he gasped, “-ennium.”

His breathing slowly steadied. “Put your arms above your head,” Joy instructed from the counter. She hopped nimbly over it, brushed a lock of curly pink hair out of her eyes, and approached the boy's other side.

“What is your name?” Steven asked.

“John,” the boy answered between deep, rasping breaths, “Birch.”

“John Birch?” Steven repeated. The boy nodded.

“What's wrong? Where did you come from?” Steven said urgently.

“Littleroot,” the boy said, finally seeming to catch his breath. He fell back to his haunches, supported by Steven and Joy.

“Littleroot? What's happened at Littleroot? You've got to tell me!” Joy said.

The answer made Steven's heart drop. “Millennium,” the boy answered.

Blog Entries
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

"Capture my dreams!"

You'll never know how much that made me laugh. A quick but good chapter!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonGoon View Post
    "Capture my dreams!"

You'll never know how much that made me laugh. A quick but good chapter!
    Actually, it's longer than most of the other chapters, but mostly because of Birch's dialogue. XD

Glad you found Wallace funny.

Blog Entries

The Lotad battle made it seem fast to me. But then agin, all battles make me think that chapters are shorter than they are.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Well Walllace is a bit...interesting to say the least, though I've always seen him a bit dramatic if not a bit gay when it comes to battling. Though that battle was pretty funny especially how Magikarp actually used Splash to beat Lotad.

So Birch as a little kid, I thought he'll be Steven's age but oh well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
    Well Walllace is a bit...interesting to say the least, though I've always seen him a bit dramatic if not a bit gay when it comes to battling. Though that battle was pretty funny especially how Magikarp actually used Splash to beat Lotad.

So Birch as a little kid, I thought he'll be Steven's age but oh well.
    Well, Wallace and Winona are both about 13 or 14. Joy is 14. So Birch is 13 or 14, too.

And yeah, that means not every nurse is Nurse Joy in my canon. :P

Blog Entries

I think you mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post

TRLOLOLOLOLOL!” Lotad laughed.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    “Chansey,” Chansey answered sadly.
    I laughed for some reason. I guess it was the idea of a Chansey communicating solely by saying its name...dunno...

I need beer money dammit! Rob Anybody's Avatar

I almotst thought Wallace was going to do a pirouette when he threw the ball!
    I don't calculate stat values, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are. I just play the game normally. If you agree copy & paste this in your sig.

ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHTY HYPNOTOAD!

Garrus Vakarian Facts

My Fic: Fabricati Diem, Pvnc Help a struggling writer! Read and review! Constructive criticism is much appreciated!

I really like your writing style, it's fun and somewhat quirky. I love the little touches like Wallace's effiminateness and general inexperience at everything, and how your incorporating every important adult in Hoenn as teens. It makes for some very interesting characterization.

I particularly liked Chapter 6, the whole 'trying to get out of petalburg woods' thing was really exciting, and the pacing was, again, very good.

I'll definately be reading some more of this. Steven is an interesting character and Hoenn is a great setting for a Pokémon story, and the writing is excellent.
    I am an unabashed Gen III fan.

My fic: Adventures in Hoenn Read it if you'd like. I could use some criticism. Chapters tend to be a bit long, though...

Blog Entries

Thank you so much! It can be a little daunting getting everybody's characterizations just the way I want them, particularly Steven himself, so I'm glad you like them!

...and Never-Turn-Back. Giratina!'s Avatar
    somewhere on the other side of the multiple universes, on a track running parallel to your Earth...

I only had time to read the first chapter, but I can give you this: I saw no grammatical problems, and I wouldn't be able to count the times I 'd'awwww'ed at young!Steven. I quite enjoyed it, you really seem to have a good handle on how he would act as a boy, and just a general control of the story as a whole. You can bet I'll be back to read the rest tomorrow. <3
    valuable are the new friends
    yet priceless are the old;
    but they all have souls of silver
    and they all have hearts of gold.

wings have we | abecedarian

Blog Entries

Thanks again to everybody for all the compliments! The story has just reached 40 pages, and it's amazing to me how time flies. Some of my first stories weren't even that long when they ended! I'd like to think I've grown since then.

Anyways, without further ado, here's the ninth chapter!

Chapter 9: Big Trouble in Littleroot
    Steven's lungs burned, filling to capacity and then expelling the stale air rapidly, his legs working like pistons. Baltoy was silent as it followed directly behind him. Wallace and Joy ran just ahead of him, and John Birch was lagging behind, still winded. The group raced south, houses and trees and signs all passing by in the blink of an eye, until they came to the southern exit of Oldale Town, and entered Route 101.

Steven saw nothing but the roof of the tiny town's Pokémon Laboratory rising just above the trees in the distance. In front of him, Wallace and Joy came to a ledge and leapt in unison. Steven followed suit, springing back to his feet the moment his hands and knees touched the ground. The cries of the wild Pokémon all around seemed to blur into one horrifying roar, undercut only by the beating of a helicopter's blades in the distance.

Moments later, there was another ledge, which all four humans soared over without a second thought, and then the trees ended, opening up on the town of a few houses and the lab.

Steven turned to Baltoy, which gazed out over the town curiously. It then turned away, apparently not interested.

“So your old master's not here? That lousy jerk probably wouldn't want you back anyway, Baltoy,” Steven said. “I know it probably hurts, but it's the truth.” Steven bent down and wrapped his hands around Baltoy's midsection, and hoisted it onto a tree branch, where it could conceal itself from view.

“Wait here,” Steven instructed. Baltoy begrudgingly nodded in reply.

Steven turned to face the town, and was immediately horrified by what he saw. Millennium grunts were walking in and out of the houses' front doors freely, tearing away at curtains and shattering windows to check for whatever they were searching for. The Pokémon Laboratory was almost completely surrounded by a sea of them, each pushing and shoving at the others to get a glimpse of whatever was happening inside.

“All right, John. What do we do?” Steven whispered.

“We need to get them out of the houses first of all,” Birch replied. “The guys in the lab have Pokémon of their own, so they should be safer than everybody else.”

“All right, then. Let's split up,” Steven said. “We'll each take one house at a time. Joy, you stay hidden, and have your Chansey heal our Pokémon when we come back out. Don't let them see you, at any cost.”

“Right,” Joy said, nodding.

“And when we've gotten the last of the houses...” Steven trailed off.

“I think Professor Mangrove contacted the Pokémon League for help,” Birch said.

“Good!” Steven said. “Let's just try to hold out as long as we can.”

“What are you talking about? We'll be smashed to pieces!” Wallace said. “This won't work. We're far too weak, and there are too many enemies!”

“We have to,” Steven insisted. “Besides, who is there better to take on Team Millennium right now?”

“He has a point,” Joy agreed.

“Then let's go,” Steven said. With that, the four snuck off to the first houses they came to.

Steven hunched over, fingers grasping Beldum's Poké Ball tightly as he stepped silently around to the front of the house he'd chosen. He took a quick glance in one of the front windows, seeing a frightened couple clutching each other, being interrogated by grunts.

The front door was wide open, so Steven ducked inside.

The grunts looked at him, surprised. “What are you doing here, kid?” one growled.

“You're in the wrong place at the wrong time,” the other rasped.

“I don't think so,” Steven replied, frowning determinedly. He might not have been able to defeat Christina at the Petalburg Gym, but this was a possible life-or-death situation, and Steven was sure they weren't nearly as powerful.

“All right, you asked for it, kid!” one of the grunts said, tossing a Poké Ball to the ground, revealing a tiny mushroom-like Pokémon with a brown body and green spots and legs. The Pokémon frowned unhappily.

“Go, Beldum!” Steven responded, tossing out his trusty steel-type. “Iron Head!”

“Shroomish, dodge and then use Leech Seed!” the grunt commanded.

Beldum darted forward, barely missing its target, which spat a seed at it. The seed split into several uncurling vines that wrapped themselves around Beldum's body, but were unable to penetrate his metallic hide, and promptly withered and disintegrated.

“Beldum, use Iron Head again!” Steven called.

Beldum swung itself sideways, thrusting its glowing metal head into Shroomish's body, causing it to squeal in pain.

“Again, Beldum!” Beldum repeated its actions, sending the Shroomish bouncing across the hardwood floor, crashing into the leg of a side table, where it fell unconscious.

“Shroomish, return!” the grunt called.

The second grunt shoved the first one aside as he retreated his Pokémon. “You like to play rough, kid? I'll show you rough! Go! Electrike!” he shouted angrily. A small green canine Pokémon accented with yellow streaks in its fur appeared and twitched, eager to battle.

“Iron Head!” Steven directed.

“Thunder Wave, Electrike!” the grunt commanded.

“Watch out! Dodge it!” Steven shouted. Electrike spawned a weak pulse of electricity from its ears, and Beldum slipped through a gap in the attack, avoiding paralysis, and struck the Electrike directly in the head. The electric-type staggered backward a few steps, and shook its head, regaining its focus.

“Use Howl! Alert the others!” the grunt said.

“Iron Head again! Stop it from drawing any attention, Beldum!” Steven said. Beldum slammed itself into Electrike's body, knocking it across the floor like Shroomish before it. Electrike yelped in pain as the attack connected.

“Tackle it, Electrike!” the grunt said.

Electrike barked, and it darted forward, slamming head-on into Beldum, who was knocked backwards a foot or two by the impact. It easily shook it off.

“Thunder Fang!” the grunt said. Electrike's jaw crackled and sparked with electricity, and it lunged forward and clamped its teeth down on Beldum's body, sending a jolt into the blue steel-type Pokémon.

“Beldum, use Take Down!” Steven said.

Beldum jerked itself out of Electrike's grasp and sent itself hurling into its body, and the two Pokémon collapsed in a heap on the ground. Beldum rose slowly, glaring at the two Millennium grunts. Electrike, however, did not recover.

“I don't believe it! How can a kid be this strong?” the grunt said, returning his Electrike. “What do you want?”

“I want you all to leave this town. What are you looking for here?” Steven said.

“Hmm... If you can defeat this last Pokémon, I'll tell you,” the grunt said, sending out his final Pokémon. A tiny, brown mammal-like Pokémon with eyes shut tight appeared on the floor between them. It seemed to be asleep.

“An Abra...” Steven said.

“That's right!” the grunt laughed haughtily. “Abra don't need to be told to Teleport when they're in danger. Good luck even scratching it!”

“Beldum, Iron Head!” Steven said.

Beldum's head gave off a silvery glow, and it launched forward. Abra disappeared an instant before Beldum hit it, and Beldum instead crashed into the floor, splintering the wood. Beldum pulled itself out of the wood and scanned the room for its opponent.

“There!” Steven said, pointing Abra out behind Beldum. Beldum launched another attack, yielding the same result.

Over and over again, Beldum aimed an Iron Head attack carefully, and then Abra used Teleport to move out of the way just as Beldum reached it.

But Steven was beginning to notice a pattern. It never teleported sideways or backwards, or even diagonally. Only forwards. Of course, it didn't always land facing the same direction every time...

“Think creatively...” echoed the voice of Clay in Steven's mind.

“That's it!” Steven said to himself.

Beldum hovered, apparently fatigued, a short distance behind Abra. In front of both Pokémon was a side table holding a small, ceramic lamp. Perfect.

“Beldum, Iron Head!” Steven said. Just as he predicted, Abra moved in a straight line forward. “Now keep going!”

Just as commanded, Beldum corrected itself slightly and then continued on its path and smashed into the table and the lamp, sending shards of ceramic and wood flying into the just-materialized Abra, which cried out in surprise and pain.

“Iron Head!” Steven roared. Beldum accelerated, head glowing, and slammed into the Abra, sending it tumbling over across the floor, crashing against a wall. It collapsed to the floor, defeated.

The grunt growled. “Abra, return.”

“You're good, kid,” he said, turning to address Steven.

“Are you going to tell me what you're doing here?” Steven said, giving a steely glare.

“Eh, I don't feel like it,” the grunt sneered, shrugging his shoulders. “Why don't you make me?”

“Beldum...” Steven hissed, clenching his fists.

“Bel-dum!” came the answer, as Beldum rose up, hovering over Steven's shoulder. Steven could tell it was ready to attack at any moment.

“Okay, okay, fine...” the grunt mumbled.

“Well?” Steven demanded.

“What we're after... it's really quite simple,” the grunt said, obviously trying to stall, fidgeting with something in his pocket. “We're after the prodigy of Littleroot.”

“What?” Steven said. “What does that mean? Who is the 'prodigy of Littleroot'?”

“That's for me to know and you to find out!” the grunt said, hurling a smoke ball at the ground. The tiny sphere exploded, concealing both grunts in a cloud of thick, black smoke.

The terrified owners of the house coughed and fanned the smoke away from themselves with their hands. After a few moments, the smoke cleared, and the two grunts were still standing there.

“I told you we were supposed to run!” the first grunt shouted.

“Oh, shut it. It's not like Set would just leave us here,” the second retorted.

Steven cleared his throat loudly. “Do you have any rope here?” he asked the couple.

The man nodded, and disappeared through a doorway before returning a moment later, with a length of rope in hand.

“Block the door, Beldum,” Steven said, walking forward to take the rope.

“Wait- wait, kid! What are you doing?” the first grunt said, frightened.

“Shut up! Like you were any help!” the second grumbled at his partner.

Steven wrapped several loops around the two men, and pulled it tightly, pulling the two grunts together, back-to-back. He tied a double-knot with the ends, gently tugging on the loops to ascertain its tautness, and, satisfied, turned to thank the couple for their assistance.

“Sorry for the damage,” he apologized.

“Oh, no. It's no problem. You might have saved our lives,” the woman thanked him.

“Lock the door after I leave with these two,” Steven instructed, indicating the two helpless grunts on the floor. “Then take shelter. It might get a little wild outside”

The couple nodded at him, and Steven turned and began to drag the two grunts out, over the doorstep, onto the concrete porch, where he dropped them.

“Don't go anywhere, now!” Steven taunted, sneaking around the side of the house to find Joy.

“Yeah, you'd better run!” the second grunt said.

Blog Entries

Nice action! The grunts made me laugh.

Can't wait 'till chapter 10!

lol, I hope Wallace is going to do as well as Steven with the grunts, but knowing him...

Also, when is Beldum going to evolve so that it can use other moves! XD
    I am an unabashed Gen III fan.

My fic: Adventures in Hoenn Read it if you'd like. I could use some criticism. Chapters tend to be a bit long, though...

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast