Spock as Sith Slayer ? (Article)

Thread: Spock as Sith Slayer ? (Article)

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Spock as Sith Slayer ? (Article)

Fanfiction article from July 2005 "Wired" magazine

Interesting article, particular as the author points out that fanfiction might become a cottage industry someday. He uses the example of the novel "Wicked" in his article, but I also thought of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. He has an original character (OC in fanfic terms) who's interacting with dozens of other characters created by other authors.

Comments, discussions welcome.

Gym Leader

actually that was an interesting article. Hehe, "Spock the Sith Slayer"... It was quite entertaining. As for a great stories based on Xena, hey i'm all for that!

btw Barb, I like the Narnia theme you've got going! You've got everything down to the user title!

Blog Entries

Thanks. ^_^

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Cool article, that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

It's beyond ironic that, in the same magazine, there was a brief mention of satellite maps on Google. =D

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

*Laughs out loud*

Everybody love Google Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

The Astute cynic

THe mention of Maguire's WIcked is something I've been contemplating writing a paper over the very subject.

The idea of taking canon and turning it into fanon and having it relate is surprisingly not a recet subject. There are cases as way back with Conan Doyle and HG wells, where they pick friendly charactes from other writing and include it in their own.

However, WIcked is a very special case, because it takes very heavy liberties.

Gaiman did the same with his story about sleeping beauty.

Andthe main thing to look at with both Maguire and Gaiman is that it's the use of public domain material. Same thign goes with Martin Gardner's Grendel.

Now if someone wrote a story through Ahab's or Jim's (a la Huck Finn) POV then it would be fine. that's public domain.

But, Spock as Sith Slayer is still off hands.

Fanfiction as a cottage industry is interesting, but it would need consent and a change of laws. Satire and parody only goes so far.
    " Jesus Christ -The Lord and Saviour of the Christian faith. Also a big fan of FPS and Fighting Games. He enjoys shooting people in online games when they are talking, and "throwing up the horns" when he wins. Also known for his legendary skill in Mario Kart: Double Dash - for his ability to "bring those blue sparks" (qtd from Wikipedia).

Blog Entries

That's true. I read a wickedly funny parody of Nancy Drew recently. And I believe that an author has done a fanfic/novel featuring Sherlock Holmes, but both the author's name and the title of his book escape me at this moment.