TEEN: Silph's Escape [Chapter 11]

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silph's Escape [Chapter 11]

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Silph's Escape [Chapter 11]

Lately I've not been feeling too great about Dragon Days. I don't have the same passion for it that I had for Rival's Story and I'm not sure I ever did. I think it was, to some degree, born out of egotism. I think the reputation I gained from Rival's Story gained it what following it currently has and I think if that had been my first story then it would probably have fallen into obscurity by now.

That said, as long as people are following it and want me to continue, I'll keep writing it (up until its natural lifespan that is, but that goes without saying).

This is a new idea I had that I think has a lot more passion behind it. Before you ask, I haven't yet decided whether it's set in the same universe as Rival's Story and Dragon Days but that doesn't matter, neither of them are relevant to it either way.

Please let me know what you think of this story. I really feel I need to improve myself as a writer as I think I've let things slip recently.

Notification List

The following will be tagged when a new chapter is posted:

1) BlueNostalgia
    2) Fireheart
    3) Thundagere
    4) SetheKing
    5) Teddiursaring
    6) Tsutarja
    7) Rainbowkit
    8) Kman555
    9) Johnny Gaddar
    10) Lugion
    11) RaccoonGoon
    12) Misheard Whisper

Please let me know by posting in this thread if you wish to be added to this list.

Contents

Chapter 1 - Moving Day
    Chapter 2 - The Journey Begins
    Chapter 3 - Gym Battle!
    Chapter 4 - An Unexpected Encounter
    Chapter 5 - The Hunt is On!
    Chapter 6 - A Bitter Rivalry Part 1
    Chapter 7 - A Bitter Rivalry Part 2
    Chapter 8 - Safari Game
    Chapter 9 - Across the Sea
    Chapter 10 - The Expedition Begins
    Chapter 11 - The Fight for Freedom

Anyway, here is the first chapter, let me know what you think!

Silph's Escape

Chapter 1

“But Dad,” objected Darren gloomily, “I don’t wanna go to Saffron. There’s nothing there. I wanna stay here in Pewter.”

“You don’t understand, Darren,” explained his father, “I’ve done a lot of research into this move. I understand Saffron is far away but you’ll still see your friends. Saffron City is in a unique position. It’s at the centre of Kanto. It’s a perfect place to set up a business. We’ll be rich and you can have anything you want.”

“What I want is to live in Pewter City with my friends,” retorted Darren.

Darren was sixteen years old. He had lived in Pewter City for his entire life. He was a tall boy with fairly long, dark hair that went down to the top of his collar. He wanted to be the Gym Leader of Pewter City after the current Leader, Simon, retired. It was the kind of thing people called a pipe dream but he had the backing of all of his friends who were sure he was capable.

Darren had built up a local reputation as a great Pokémon trainer after a trip to Mt. Moon with three friends of his three years back. They’d gone there with the expressed mission of catching Pokémon as they were all aspiring Gym Leaders or Champions and only had one or two Pokémon each. Darren’s only Pokémon at the time was an Eevee that he’d been given by his father as a gift for his tenth birthday. Darren had nicknamed the Eevee ‘Tails’ after one of his favourite video game characters and the two had been inseparable ever since, but Darren was all too aware that he was never going to become a Gym Leader with just an Eevee.

Darren, then thirteen years old, had taken Tails with him into Mt. Moon to catch some new Pokémon even though neither of them were very experienced with battling. The four boys had gone into Mt. Moon with high hopes but catching Pokémon had turned out to be a lot harder than they made it look on TV. Two of Darren’s friends had run out of Poké Balls before they succeeded in catching anything. The other had eventually managed to catch a Zubat, after having spent over two months’ worth of pocket money on Poké Balls. Darren had come out on top though – he’d caught a Clefairy, the rarest Pokémon in the local area. Some people had even claimed that Clefairy were extinct. After that, Darren got a reputation for being a fantastic Pokémon trainer.

Darren never told anyone that his capture of Clefairy had been down to little more than luck. He’d spotted a wild Geodude hidden in a small alcove and decided to sneak up on it to throw a Poké Ball. What he hadn’t realised though was that the Geodude had been locked in a vicious battle with a wild Clefairy. Darren had never had particularly good aim and his Poké Ball had ended up hitting the floor in front of Geodude. As the startled Geodude fled, Darren had rushed forwards to check if the Poké Ball was still usable and, to his surprise, he had accidentally captured Geodude’s opponent, the Clefairy, which he nicknamed ‘Moon’, after the place in which he’d captured it.

Still, Darren didn’t feel guilty about his undeserved reputation – he knew he was destined for great things. While it was true that neither of his Pokémon were particularly adept at battling, he knew that one day they would be. He was only sixteen after all, he had plenty of time to become great.

“Look, Darren,” lectured his father for about the hundredth time, “Saffron City may be small but it is in the middle of Kanto. Its geographical position is perfect for it to become the new business heart of Kanto and Silph Co. will be at the heart of that heart.”

Darren glared at his father contemptuously. He hated his father even more for all the sense he was making. He knew that what his father was saying was true, but he didn’t want it to be. Even though Darren was only a few inches shorter than his father, the man still seemed to tower above him. His broad shoulders, protruding belly and aura of confidence gave him a magnetic presence that could not be ignored. Even though his hair was thinning and grey, he wore the glasses that fashion forgot and a suit to go with them, he still carried the air of an impressive man.

We’ll have all the money we could have ever dreamt of, Darren,” explained his father, “Don’t you understand?”

The only thing Darren didn’t understand was why his father had chosen to name his company ‘Silph Co.’. Their surname was ‘Brown’ and his father’s forename was ‘Andrew’. Of course, it’s not compulsory to name a company after yourself but you’d think that if you didn’t, you’d choose a word that described the company in some way. No, Darren’s father had decided that the name for his company would be Darren’s mother’s maiden name. He’d never even suggested once that he’d intended to name it in her memory. Mr. Brown had never even mentioned the company and his late wife in the same sentence. Darren almost wondered if his father was aware of the fact that they shared a name.

Of course, the fact that Darren understood why they were moving to Saffron didn’t mean he cared. He wanted to stay in Pewter and train to beat the local Gym Leader. After that he wanted to go on a Pokémon journey around Kanto with some of his friends, beating all of the Gym Leaders, getting Badges and catching all the different, exciting species of Pokémon. Maybe one day he could even go somewhere far away, like Johto. Then he could finally return to Pewter an accomplished man and take over from Simon, who’d surely want to retire by then.

Darren knew that he’d be lonely in Saffron. It would just be him and his Dad. Darren’s mother had died when he was still very young. He hardly remembered her at all now but he still wished she was around. Darren felt like part of what made him so keen to leave Pewter City and travel Kanto was the fact that his mother wasn’t around anymore. A lot of the boys around his age didn’t want to leave their mothers alone and childless but Darren didn’t have that issue. He didn’t care about leaving his father alone and childless.

A few days after that final, futile clash, Darren and his father were on their way to Saffron City. It took several hours travelling to get there by truck with all their luggage and Darren couldn’t imagine why it was such an important city. The only thing of note in the entire city was a Gym, which doubled as a Fighting Dojo. Other than that there were a few houses around and not really much else. Darren had studied tour guides desperately, sure that his father’s geographical logic was a front for some sort of secret. He’d even looked into Legendary Pokémon – perhaps his father had secretly heard that an old Kanto Legend had made Saffron City its home and wanted to catch it for himself or, better yet, so that he could give it to Darren. It was nice to have these fantasies but deep down Darren knew that they were just that – fantasies. If he wanted something special to happen with his life, he was going to have to make it happen for himself.

When they arrived at their new home, Darren was instructed to go up to his new room and unpack. The room actually looked quite pleasant while it was empty. The white walls, flat-pack furniture and wooden flooring made it look quite fashionable and spacious. Darren was surprised his musty old father had managed to choose a place like this. The only mess in the room was Darren’s suitcase that he was supposed to be unpacking lumped in the corner. The open window let a gentle breeze come into the room. It was a much less industrial city than Pewter. It was like living in a meadow. Objectively, Darren thought that this was probably one of the nicest places to live in the world but that didn’t change the fact that the move had uprooted his life. After all, what’s the point in living in a nice place if you have no friends to enjoy it with?

Darren knew that he had to leave so he started formulating a plan as soon as he was in his room. He spread a map of Kanto across the floor of his beautifully empty room and sat at the bottom of it with Moon the Clefairy and Tails the Eevee. Tails traipsed over gracefully and planted herself on the far side of the map. She had always been a gentle Pokémon, unlike Moon, who excitedly jumped from side to side of the map, eagerly anticipating finally going on a journey and being a powerful battler like the Pokémon he’d seen on TV.

Darren ignored Moon’s excitability and studied the map carefully. It was true, Saffron was the middle of Kanto. Unfortunately, that made it quite a difficult place to plan starting a journey from. The eight Gyms of Kanto were located in Saffron, Pewter, Viridian, Cinnabar, Lavender, Fuchsia, Celadon and Vermilion.

The obvious place to start was Saffron itself. Darren suspected his father would try and track him down so he’d have to stay away from the obvious routes. His father was sure to expect him to head to Pewter as soon as possible so Darren decided that instead he’d head south to Vermilion. After that, he’d head further south to Fuchsia and beat the Gym Leader there. From Fuchsia it was pretty simple to get to Celadon, which was right near Saffron but that was where it became dangerous. Outside of taking a huge detour back the way he had came or going through the caves on Seafoam Island, the only way to reach the Gyms in Pewter, Viridian and Cinnabar would be to go back through Saffron. Darren hoped that by that point he’d have proved that he was a capable Pokémon trainer anyway, having collected five Badges. There’d be nothing his father could do to stop him.

Of course, he had to collect those five Badges first. Darren wasn’t a stupid boy. He knew better than to run out in the middle of the night. If he did that his Dad would know he’d run away as soon as morning came, in which time the Gym wouldn’t have opened and Darren would’ve gotten nowhere. Instead, Darren decided that he would leave first thing in the morning, telling his Dad that he wanted to meet people or something like that. That way his Dad wouldn’t be suspicious until quite late in the evening, possibly even waiting until the following morning to actually do anything about it.

Darren also knew that if he used his real name it’d be no time before word of his Gym beating exploits reached his father and his Pokémon adventure would be very short lived. He decided that he needed a pseudonym. His surname, ‘Brown’ was no good. For one thing, that was just as likely to get back to his father. Not to mention, he’d look like an idiot if he went around using a colour for a name!

“I need a name, guys,” muttered Darren to Moon and Tails, “Can you think of anything?”

Darren looked to Tails first. She just looked back apologetically. Darren stroked her to let her know that he didn’t hold it against her. He then looked to Moon, who was trifling through Darren’s suitcase.

“Moon!” snapped Darren, “I’ll unpack when I’m ready! Leave that alone!”

Moon did not desist. Instead the Clefairy continued to rummage through the suitcase until he found what he was looking for. He pulled out a business card belonging to Darren’s father and pointed to one of the words on it.

“Silph, eh?” mused Darren, “I like it! Good job, Moon!”

So, that night Darren packed his bags ready to go on a Pokémon adventure and the following morning, Silph left, with Moon and Tails in tow, to get his first Badge at the local Gym.
    Last edited by Gama; 1st October 2011 at 09:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Silph's Escape

I love the premise for this. I love that it's not the typical journey beginning of "kid wakes up, is excited to begin his journey, etc." I like the twist of having his adventure start because of his father's business aspirations.

Honestly, my favorite part is feeling Darren's emotions about moving and leaving his friends and being lonely and stuff. I really empathize with him.

And the end of the chapter, where Moon finds the business card and points to the name was purely awesome!

Great chapter! I will be following this.

Blog Entries

All right, since this is a short chapter, I decided to read it.

Nice start. Darren reminds me somewhat of Steven.

Sorry I can't say more right now, but the bell's about to ring.

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any new fic by Gastly's Mama is a big deal. And it was a good start to a new story. Don't stop Dragon Days until you know you've sucked all your ideas into it! Cause it's enjoyable.

Blog Entries

Really good start. I do kinda wonder about the name though. while I know he gets it from the silph corp, sylph is also the name for a mythological creature of air. Is that intentional, or just a coincidence?
    Banner By Genbeeb

Blog Entries

I'm getting a major 'Pokémon Special: Ruby and Spphire' vibe here. That's not bad, it's a brilliant series and this looks to echo that brilliance. Darren seems a bit of a prick, what not caring about his father and the ego, but I look forward to the character development, since you did a great job with that prick, Blue =3

Blog Entries
    Follow Shadow Raikou On Twitter Add Shadow Raikou on Google+
    Visit Shadow Raikou's Youtube Channel

Oh yeah i like this. also, you better not (to to be heard like that) use the current gym leaders name cuz silph is very young, so kanto is very earlier then it was in red.

They should make all quadruple Pokemon ride able along with Gogoat.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I liked the chapter, though how Instru said it reminds me of Pokemon Special: Ruby and Sapphire. However I have one question, if he's dad wants to make a company with the name Silph then wouldn't that reveal Darren's identity?

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My favorite part about this is how Silph has put all of two seconds' thought into this.

Two normal types? Step one: Run away from home and challenge a Fighting-based Gym.

Step two: ???

Step three: Profit!
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastically Insane View Post
    My favorite part about this is how Silph has put all of two seconds' thought into this.

Two normal types? Step one: Run away from home and challenge a Fighting-based Gym.

That part was my fav too

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah nice start!
    I only picked out one, very minor error :
    Darren has studied tour guides desperately
    :O Tense mix up.

A great way to kick off a journey fic, haven't seen it done before (I don't think, at any rate), and you conveyed Darren's emotions and thoughts very well, it flowed beautifully.

The line that made me chuckle was:
    Not to mention, he’d look like an idiot if he went around using a colour for a name!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Ah, this was great. Far from your average journey fic beginning. I'm assuming this will be a journey fic... It would take a pretty drastic turnaround to turn it into anything else. It's too soon to tell anything about the characters or plot yet, but I like it so far.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    I love the premise for this.
    Might seem like a weird part of your message to pick out but thank you so much for saying this! Coming from the guy who came up with the premise for Pocket Monsters, that's a massive compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
    Really good start. I do kinda wonder about the name though. while I know he gets it from the silph corp, sylph is also the name for a mythological creature of air. Is that intentional, or just a coincidence?
    Well, it's just a coincidence, however I was aware of that. It is just based on the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Raikou View Post
    Oh yeah i like this. also, you better not (to to be heard like that) use the current gym leaders name cuz silph is very young, so kanto is very earlier then it was in red.
    Yup, don't worry, none of the FRLG Gym Leaders will have taken their post yet =P

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Getsuga Haze View Post
    I liked the chapter, though how Instru said it reminds me of Pokemon Special: Ruby and Sapphire. However I have one question, if he's dad wants to make a company with the name Silph then wouldn't that reveal Darren's identity?
    You'll have to wait and see, won't you? I've thought this out though, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastically Insane View Post

Yes, Silph is not exactly the world's best forward thinker, is he? In fact, he's not really a good judge of many things...

Quote Originally Posted by some colour no doubt View Post
    Ah nice start!
    I only picked out one, very minor error :

:O Tense mix up.
    Dear God! Thank you for saving me from this embarrassment, I have duly corrected it.

Blog Entries

Right, don't expect subsequent chapters this frequently (I will be coming up with a release schedule soon) but here is the second chapter seeing as I've written and proof read it already.

Chapter 2

Darren, or ‘Silph’ as he was now known, strolled casually down the country lane, towards the Saffron City Gym. Moon, his Clefairy, sat on his shoulder, excitably, but unintelligibly, chattering about their new adventure while Tails, his Eevee, serenely walked next to him. Silph’s heart was racing and he technically hadn’t even done anything wrong yet. He took in a deep breath of the fresh air that seemed to simply not exist back home in Pewter. As pretty as they were to look at, Silph couldn’t help but think that all of the flowers, grass and little cottages around the so-called “City” were a little anti-climactic considering what he was about to do.

“You ready for glory, guys?” he said to Moon and Tails, trying to remind both them and himself that in spite of their surroundings, they were on a dramatic and important journey.

This comment was enough to have Moon energetically jumping from shoulder to shoulder once again. Neither of Silph’s Pokémon had ever been in a serious Pokémon battle before. Him and his friends from Pewter had had small scale battles but they’d always called the winner before either Pokémon fainted. Silph figured the best place to have his first serious battle would be in a certified Pokémon League Gym where there were rules and regulations that ensured he and his Pokémon wouldn’t be seriously injured.

After about ten minutes of strolling, Silph found himself at the door of the Saffron City Gym – the Fighting Dojo. He placed his hand on the handle but found himself unable to pull it. It just looked so impressive. It was a far cry from the small, understated houses that he’d seen in Saffron so far. The ornate door was decorated with red and gold, giving an incredibly intimidating appearance. Silph felt like he would be laughed at for just walking in. He couldn’t believe he was about to challenge his first Gym so soon and couldn’t help but worry whether he was ready or not. He had lived in Pewter City for sixteen years and had never gotten around to challenging Simon, the local Leader but after being in Saffron for just one night he was preparing to challenge the Gym Leader there. Moon hissed impatiently at Silph, trying to get him to hurry up with opening the door but Tails just rubbed her head against Silph’s leg sympathetically, trying to calm him down.

Silph felt like turning around, going home and giving up on this ridiculous pipe dream but he knew he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if he did. He was annoyed enough at himself for failing to challenge Simon before he left Pewter City. He forced himself to grip the handle of the Gym door and slowly worked up the courage to actually pull it open.

As he did though, the door in front of him burst open and a speeding blur flew towards Silph, causing him to stumble backwards and trip over Tails and making Moon fly backwards off of Silph’s shoulder.

Silph picked himself up, dusted himself down and tried to figure out what had happened while Tails ran over to Moon to make sure he was alright. A boy around the same age as Silph with short, light brown hair stood in front of him. The boy wore dirty, damaged clothing that made it obvious that he was a travelling Pokémon trainer. The thing that really caught Silph’s attention, though, was the boy’s eyes. He seemed manic. His eyes stared straight through Silph as if there were something far away that he could see and was desperate to have.

“Sorry!” shouted the boy, waving his arms frantically.

Silph didn’t know what to say. The whole experience had shocked him too much. He felt as if he had been caught out by his father and was about to be sent home. He simply stood there silently in front of the other boy as Moon and Tails returned to where they had each previously been standing.

“What’s your name?” asked the boy, apparently unfazed by Silph’s silence.

Silph hesitated. He almost said ‘Darren’ but stopped himself.

“Silph,” he answered.

The other boy screwed up his face like he was eating a lemon. Silph’s heart stopped. He was sure he had been caught out.

“Silph, huh?” he asked, “That’s a weird name! Is that your surname or something?”

Silph nodded desperately in response, he knew that if he offered any other explanation he would end up blowing his cover.

“Oh, you’re one of those trainers!” announced the boy, “Surnames only, I get it! Well, in that case, you can call me ‘Oak’!”

Silph nodded again. He wanted to do whatever he could to get rid of this guy. He didn’t feel safe with him. He just wanted to get on with his Gym challenge. Oak looked at Silph’s two Pokémon.

“Oh wow!” yelled Oak, “You have an Eevee and a Clefairy! They’re so rare! Can I have a look at them?”

Tails backed away and hid behind Silph’s legs as soon as Oak said this but Moon dived from Silph’s shoulders into Oak’s arms.

“Make sure you give it back, okay?” demanded Silph, “He’s a very special Pokémon to me.”

“Oh yes!” said Oak dismissively, fussing over Moon, “Clefairy is a very special Pokémon! Who would want to give one of these away? No, no, I’ll give it back, don’t worry!”

Silph looked on patiently as Oak lifted up Moon, looked under each of his arms, shook him, put his finger in his mouth, stroked his head and played with his wings. It seemed as if Oak just couldn’t get enough of Moon – he wanted to see every part of his body. In turn, Moon didn’t seem to object. In fact, the Clefairy seemed to be enjoying the attention and was giggling the whole time Oak was investigating him.

“Say,” said Oak suddenly ceasing his previous activity, “Are you on your way into this Gym?”

“That’s right,” answered Silph curtly.

Silph was working hard to keep a close eye on his Clefairy. He wanted to make sure that this weird guy didn’t take it from him or trick him somehow. He was also wary of giving this guy too much information – if anything about his plans got back to his father, the dream would be over.

“You’ve got more Pokémon than these two though, right?” checked Oak.

Silph fingered Moon’s Poké Ball. He didn’t like putting Tails or Moon in their Poké Balls, but if he had to, he would.

“No, just these,” replied Silph, “I’ll catch some more after I get this Badge.”

Oak shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

“I don’t think so,” said Oak, “You’ll never beat the Gym with them.”

Silph’s heart sank. That was a pretty harsh condemnation.

“Give me my Clefairy back,” commanded Silph in an act of petty revenge.

Silph held his arms out expectantly for Moon to be returned to him but before Oak could react, Moon obediently struggled his way out of Oak’s arms and jumped back into Silph’s.

“I didn’t mean to insult you,” explained Oak, “It’s just that this is a Fighting type Gym and you have two very low levelled Normal type Pokémon. Your Pokémon clearly aren’t used to battling and they’re weak against the trainers and Leader in this Gym! You can’t expect to win!”

Silph lowered his head. He supposed Oak was right. He didn’t know much about type alignment, but he didn’t think Oak would lie to him.

“Don’t worry!” declared Oak with a smile, “I know a way that both of us can be happy! You interested?”

Silph was intrigued. He had a bad feeling about whatever it was that Oak was going to suggest but he was already tempted. He decided that he was smart enough to keep his wits about him and not get ripped off so there was no harm in hearing Oak out.

“What?” asked Silph, putting on as serious a voice as he could to show that he meant business.

“You want to beat this Gym, right?” asked Oak, pulling out a Badge shaped like a boxing glove as proof, “Well, it just so happens that I just beat the Gym, so I know what I’m doing!”

“So, you’re gonna help me train?” guessed Silph.

Oak burst into laughter at this suggestion. Silph’s heart sank once again. He was starting to seriously dislike this guy. What gave him the right to ridicule Silph?

“Fine!” snapped Silph, “I don’t care what your plan is if you’re gonna be rude to me!”

Oak suddenly stopped laughing and Silph saw a look of panic fill his eyes.

“Sorry!” cried Oak desperately, “I didn’t mean to offend you! It’s just that I don’t have time for that – I’ve got more Badges to get and more Pokémon to catch! No, I’m not gonna help you train but I can give you a high levelled Pokémon that’s strong against Fighting types – it’ll be easy to beat the Gym that way!”

Silph’s anger was suddenly replaced by excitement. If Oak gave him a high levelled Pokémon then he could use it to catch more Pokémon and beat Gym Leaders more easily. It was just the kind of push he needed to really get going! Oak pulled a Poké Ball from his belt.

“Look,” he said, “Let me show you.”

Oak threw the Poké Ball to the ground and a huge bird burst out of it. It had a long, pointy beak, red, spiky feathers across the top of its head and brown feathers all over the rest of its enormous body.

“It’s called a Fearow,” explained Oak, “It was one of the first Pokémon I captured. He’s very strong but I’m a rare Pokémon enthusiast and Fearow is quite a common Pokémon. I think he’d probably be more useful to you than he would to me, what do you think?”

Looking at this ferocious beast, Silph could hardly believe his luck. There was no way he’d lose against anyone with something like that on his side. All Silph could do was nod stupidly.

“But, hey, you don’t wanna buy the Miltank before you try the milk!” exclaimed Oak, once again becoming excited, “Why don’t you have a little Fly around the skies of Saffron City and then maybe you can use it to battle one of my other Pokémon?”

Again, Silph found himself nodding gormlessly.

“Great!” announced Oak, “I’ll keep hold of his Poké Ball and you can do the rest.”

Oak then turned to Fearow.

“Be a good boy now,” instructed Oak, “I want you to take my friend, Silph, here on a two minute lap around Saffron City then come straight back. Do you understand?”

Fearow screeched, which seemed to be an indication of obedience. The grand bird then turned to Silph and lowered its head so that he could climb on.

“Can I take Moon and Tails with me?” asked Silph.

“Of course,” answered Oak, “There’s room enough for everyone on board!”

Silph picked up Tails and Moon and then struggled his way on to Fearow’s back. He placed his legs on Fearow’s shoulders and his hands on its neck, keeping Moon and Tails securely in his lap. Fearow soared into the sky and flew around at a spectacular speed. The view was magnificent. The whole time he was in the sky, Silph could think of nothing but what he was going to nickname this magnificent beast as soon as he officially owned him. ‘Fearless’ seemed too obvious, ‘Wings’ was good, ‘Drill’ was also a contender. Silph needed more time to think about it. After exactly two minutes though, Silph found himself back on the ground, standing opposite Oak.

“You enjoyed that, right?” asked Oak with a knowing smile.

Silph nodded stupidly.

“But don’t go on just that,” Oak continued, “You want Fearow so you can beat the Gym, don’t you? You’ll want to test out his battling capabilities first!”

Still, Silph could do nothing but continue to nod. He was simply too amazed at this spectacular offer.

“Now,” said Oak, turning to Fearow, “I want you to obey Silph for this battle, okay?”

Fearow once again screeched to indicate obedience.

“I’ll use Victreebel,” stated Oak, taking a Poké Ball from his belt.

Silph continued to watch and nod as Oak sent the Pokémon called Victreebel out. It was a large, yellow, upside down bell shaped creature with three huge, green leaves surrounded it and gigantic, sharp teeth protruding from the bell’s opening, which presumably served as a mouth. It looked terrifying and Silph decided that if Oak’s Fearow was capable of defeating a beast like that, then it would definitely be able to deal with anything that the Gym Leader could throw at it.

“Drill Peck is Fearow’s best move,” informed Oak before the battle, “He also has Roost, Pursuit and Aerial Ace. You know what they do, right?”

Silph wanted to say no but he was too proud, he didn’t want Oak to think he was stupid. The two Pokémon squared up to each other, ready to battle.

“You ready?” checked Oak.

“Yeah!” cried Silph, eager to have his first ever real Pokémon battle.

“Vine Whip!” cried Oak as soon as Silph confirmed he was ready.

Silph froze up for a moment. He didn’t know what to do or what to say. He had already forgotten what Fearow’s moves were and he had no idea what any of them did anyway. He thought one of them was Roost but that didn’t sound very powerful. Silph racked his brain to try and remember the name of one of Fearow’s other moves but found himself unable.

“Driller Peck!” commanded Silph, suddenly remembering Fearow’s most powerful move.

A vine, to which one of the three large leaves was attached, sprung up from behind Victreebel’s head and violently struck Fearow. Silph was concerned that Fearow would be knocked out. The attack looked so powerful that he couldn’t imagine a Pokémon managing to brave it but Fearow didn’t appear to be affected at all. Fearow flew forwards at an incredible speed and hit its beak into Victreebel’s side. The vicious looking plant Pokémon was immediately knocked out by Fearow’s impressive attack.

“Wow...” murmured Silph, unable to keep his awe to himself.

“So,” said Oak with a massive grin, returning Victreebel to its Poké Ball, “You like Fearow, right?”

Silph nodded.

“Alright,” continued Oak, “You can have him!”

Silph tried to thank Oak but the words wouldn’t come out. This was just the break he’d been waiting for the whole time he’d been in Pewter! He no longer regretted failing to challenge the Pewter City Gym Leader, it would have been pointless because it was before he had ever met Oak! This Fearow was going to be the first step to Silph becoming one of the greatest trainers in Kanto!

“I just ask one thing in return,” stated Oak, becoming uncharacteristically calm and controlled.

“What is it?” asked Silph desperately, “Anything! Just tell me what you want!”

Silph was too excited to notice but a sinister smile adorned Oak’s face as he heard Silph’s words. The accomplished trainer revelled in the success of his tactical proposition, took a deep breath and slowly spelt out the words of his request.

“I want your Clefairy.”
    Last edited by Gama; 13th April 2011 at 01:54 PM.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Silph's Escape [Chapter 2]

Alright, here are my thoughts so far.

The start of the journey seems good so far, though running away from home seemed like a bit of a rash decision, especially since his father showed no opposition to him doing that except in Darren's thoughts. Tails seems to be taking the passive Pokémon route, and might not be getting as much focus as Moon.

Oak did come off as a manipulator to me, with sending a weak type against Fearow just to prove how strong it is and to get Clefairy. Darren himself is a good character to start out with, which is one of the things I really like so far. Not knowing anything could work wonderfully better than knowing everything and starting the journey.

I like it so far, and it's too early to judge the overall plot in my opinion. Keep it up.

Speculation so far:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast