TEEN: Seasons, Book 1: Autumn - Page 13

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasons, Book 1: Autumn

I feel so much spring... Cabaret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Seasons, Book 1: Autumn

Samia is definitly a strong character to have in a story. I think that it will be interesting to see how he progresses through the story.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Ah yes. Excellent job once again. I loved the Breloom/Gallade battle, nothing like a good spar between fighting types. Hopefully that loss knocked some of the arrogance out of Alanah. I'm interested to see how she'll play into the story from here on.

I think it was a good idea to keep it at three on three. The last few chapters have been nothing but battles. They hadn't quite gotten boring yet, but you know what I mean.

A few grammar and spelling errors here and there but very good overall.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Feudal Articuno Man TheHydreigonator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderful, once again. Absol and Breloom are some of my favorite generation 3 Pokemon, so seeing them featured so prominently is a plus. Not to mention seeing that snobby, hypocrite cousin getting owned.

I'm glad you kept this battle to one chapter- as awesome as your battle scenes are, having over five chapters of nonstop battling would be stretching it, so I'm glad you stopped at four.

The development with the "aura overload" is certainly interesting. Wonder if that has to do with the danger of Samia's power his grandpa talked about.

As for the next chapter of my fic, (which you asked about in your VM) I've actually barely started due to a school project, but once that's done I've got some good ideas for what I'm going to do.
    Yes, I am coming out of the closet as a Brony. Problem, manly men?
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic34657_1.gif

Check out the TVTropes Fanon Pokedex project! (especially the articles written by Umbramatic, which is most definitely not my alternate username ;) )
    Also, my recently-resurrected fanfic. And something N fans would love to read.

Blog Entries
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

Very good! If I may, this might be my favorite chapter so far. Keep it up!

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed this chapter, another superb battling scene between gallade and breloom, (2 underappreciated pokemon in my eyes) And it is interesting how Alanah has been taken down several pegs in battle by Samia

keep up the good work

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

That's how Samia does it, I can't believe he really defeated Alanah so easily, kind of makes it unfair that he has to leave it to someone weaker than him. Though please tell me the two are at least gonna get a chance to talk rather than Samia just leaving without saying anything.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haha. The battle was still epic, but it is starting to get a bit dry from just battles, battles, battles. Just like I said before, of course.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 19th February 2011 at 03:00 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekürom
    but it is starting to get a bit dry from just battles, battles, battles
    Agreed, I spent a bit longer than I would have liked on the tournament, but now the plot is back on track rather than being static.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Getsuga Haze
    I can't believe he really defeated Alanah so easily
    Yh, but i wanted it to be like that, so it was clear that it was Samia's choice to leave and not because he wasn't good enough. Also remember Samia has had years to practice and perfect his battling technique.

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chapter 8
    Sootopolis

The sapphire ocean calmly lapped below. On either side of him, Flygon's green wings rose and fell smoothly, keeping them flying toward the Hoenn region. It had taken a day’s flight to get to southern Johto, so Samia hoped they would reach at least the border by today, if not to some of the more eastern cities.

Looking down, Samia rechecked that all his belongings were securely attached to the leather saddle that was strapped to Flygon's back. To his right, a medium-sized suitcase housed his clothes, with a sleeve of a shirt sticking out as it flapped in the wind. To his left was a small rucksack which clinked every now and again as the thirty or so pokéballs inside which held Samia's Pokémon occasionally bumped into each other. The blade gifted to him by the committee was safely strapped to his back.

As they flew forward, the wind whipped around Samia's head, pushing his hair up at odd angles. Luckily, he had found his old flight goggles to protect his eyes during the long flight, simply a brown leather strip with green tinted lenses in. Unfortunately, no protection was available for his ears, so he was soon being deafened by the rushing of the wind.

Even though Flygon easily kept up the pace, Samia had them stop on several uninhabited islands over the day, if not just to rest Flygon but to give himself a break. Each island was quite similar, simply a small jut of land in an endless ocean. Sitting on a beach, Samia looked north where the mainland could just be seen on the horizon, from here merely a blur. To his back, a small forest with a scattering of Pokémon existed, completely untouched and unspoiled by human corruption. In the forest, Flygon lapped up water from a small freshwater pool, the native Pokémon looking inquisitively at the unknown addition to their home.

Pushing himself to his feet, Samia brushed sand from the back of his dark jeans and walked over to Flygon. Seeing him approach Flygon looked up, signalling he was ready to continue to journey.

Samia laughed, “Not just yet, old friend, let’s have a look around first.”

Nodding, Flygon went back to drinking casually from the pool. The island wasn't very big, barely a hundred square meters, so Samia had little trouble exploring it. Though it was nothing compared to the days of when he was a trainer, which often involved scaling mountains, spending weeks trapped in jungles, or exploring in dark caves, it was a refreshing change of pace from the years he had spent at League HQ. He couldn't understand why he hadn't done this years ago.

The forest housed a variety of Pokémon, mainly low levels which simply survived, not needing interference from the outside world. In the trees, the chirping of Pidgeys could be heard, whilst down in the undergrowth a few Ratatta and Bidoof were present, scurrying around, occupied with their daily tasks.

Going back to the white sandy beach, Samia sat down, again facing north. No matter what he did, his thoughts always returned to one thing. What had happened between him an Alanah in that battle? In the years he had been taught to control and master his gift, some with the help of his grandfather, some through his own trial and error, he had never encountered or been told about it. Then again, he hadn’t known that anyone else possessed the gift.

Still, the pain that he had felt was unimaginable. It had been like his own body was trying to tear itself apart, so he could only imagine what it had felt like for the two Pokémon on the field. Clutching his knees up to his chest, Samia was trying to think of what this meant. If he encountered others with the gift, if they existed, he would have to be ready. He would have to perfect his pure battling style, to be able to defeat Pokémon that could react quicker and hit harder than a normal Pokémon could. When he reached Sootopolis, training was in order, more intense than it had ever been before, but he was sure his squad would be able to take it.

Still, it was not only his squad that needed to be ready, Samia knew he would have to prepare himself, both physically and mentally. Reaching over his back, Samia pulled out his katana, laying the blade on his lap. It was truly flawless, the steel bright, reflecting sunlight.

With a sigh, he pulled himself to his feet. Getting his footing correct, Samia brought the blade in front of him, his feet expanded out to shoulder width, giving himself a steady base. The katana was straighter than the horizon, so thin that it just seemed like a line to Samia's eyes, not something capable of serious damage.

With deliberate slowness, Samia brought the blade over his head, twisting his body weight before bringing it back down to its original position, having turned his body one hundred and eighty degrees. He proceeded to thrust, putting his whole weight behind the blade, then moving into a series of slashes, twists, turns and spins.

Although Samia had not used or practised swordplay in a long time, he quickly found his muscles remembering the movements, and the blade was so perfectly balanced it felt weightless. Continuing to move, he began going into advanced moves, one handed cuts, swapping sword hands, his feet leaving the floor before laying into his next blow. In his mind, Samia was surrounded by foes. He twisted, thrusted, parried and cut them down, all the time remaining in constant motion along the white sandy beach.

After a while, he began to sweat, panting from his exercise. Before he could easily have kept his martial practice going for hours, whereas now he could scarcely manage fifteen minutes. Even the fact he had to stop for rests on his trip to Hoenn showed he was out of shape. Sitting at the league for years had lowered his stamina, the life of luxury spoiling his usually lean body. After all, when travelling around as a trainer, you didn't really have the time (nor the cash) to be pigging out and sitting around doing nothing.

Grandfather, what happened to me?

Sitting down, Samia called Flygon over, sheathing the katana back over his shoulder. As Flygon laid down next to him, he rested his arm on its neck, and they simply sat there, looking out over the horizon. Realizing that they had wasted enough time, Samia climbed back onto Flygon's saddle. Squeezing his legs, he signalled it was time to continue, and Flygon leapt back into the air, the journey to Hoenn continuing.

Hours passed, blending seamlessly together as Samia relaxed as best as he could. He was determined not to stop, no matter how uncomfortable he felt. The horizon remained flat and blue, and before long the northern mainland disappeared from view. Still, Samia trusted Flygon to get him to Hoenn; after all, it was his Pokémon's homeland.

No matter what he tried, his thoughts always returned to his grandfather. Although he was still sad over his death, Samia realized it had simply been his time. After all, he had been nearly ninety years old. Rubbing his eyes under the goggles, Samia accepted that his grandfather was gone. It was no-ones fault, nothing could be done, it was simply what had happened. He must have gone a bit senile in his last days as well, as his last words made absolutely no sense. Why would he show him how to use something that was dangerous?

Samia snorted. Dangerous. The gift allowed him to be closer with his Pokémon, closer than any other trainer could possibly hope to be, with the possible exception of his cousin. Sitting up, Samia rubbed Flygon's green scaly back. How could be being closer to your Pokémon be dangerous? Closing his eyes, Samia entered the trance like state, allowing himself to connect with Flygon.

Flygon's aura, like every single Pokémon, was unique. The swirl of colours was a dark orange, flecked with royal purple and light tan. Pushing into the aura, Samia saw things through Flygon's sharper eyes. It was amazing how much more his Pokémon could see. Even though they were a few hundred meters up, he could clearly see the school of Wailord, keeping close watch over their young Wailmer. Through Flygon’s antennae, he could feel the slightest variations in air currents and thermals, adjusting their wings to compensate. Further ahead, Flygon could see the edge of the main Hoenn island, showing they were getting close.

Breaking the contact, Samia braced himself for the inevitable wave of fatigue. But... something was different. He didn't feel tired, he felt, stronger. Looking down, through his own eyes, he saw the school of Wailord, and ahead, the island of Hoenn. Sniffing, he could smell the smallest parts of the air, feeling the changes in heat. Samia blinked, shocked, and shook his head with his eyes closed, thinking he must be day dreaming. Opening his eyes, he felt back to normal, though the wave of fatigue that hit him was worse than normal, as if he had just ran a mile. Gasping for breath, Samia reached into his bag, pulling out a bottle of water. Quenching his thirst, he leaned back. What on earth was that?

Over the next three hours, Samia phased in and out of his own body and Flygon's, each time to the same affect. He was unsure, and looking back, he tried to see if anything had changed over the last few days. When he connected with Breloom against Alanah, everything was normal, or at least, how it usually was; normal probably wasn't the right term. Deciding not to dwell on it, he leaned back and enjoyed the remainder of the flight.

The trip through Hoenn was uneventful. They entered from the north, not the east as Samia had expected, so it took an additional day to reach the hollow volcano that housed Sootopolis City. Still, when the great mountain came into view, it filled Samia with nostalgia. He remembered being here as a young trainer, challenging the local gym with a much younger Breloom and Flygon's pre-evolved form, Vibrava.

Seeing an open area, Flygon descended down, spiralling as not to hurt itself from a sudden loss of momentum. Gracefully, Samia's mount touched down, and Samia jumped off.

“Good job, my friend,” he told his Pokémon, “now have a good rest.”

Recalling Flygon, Samia looked around the city, if it could be called such. Around the granite-grey walls, houses situated themselves, of all shapes and sizes, ranging from small one-story dwellings to vast twenty level apartments. The path twisted and turned around the rim of the crater, giving no direct route to where Samia wanted to go. From his backpack, he pulled out a hooded jacket, concealing his face from view. The last thing he wanted was crazed fans noticing him.

Walking along, Samia quickly found the Pokémon centre, where he attracted some...odd... looks from the resident trainers. It wasn't everyday that new people visited the isolated Sootopolis, particularly one in a black hoodie with a sword on their back.

Ignoring the inquisitive looks, Samia walked across the pure white floors toward the desk, behind which an expected Nurse Joy was standing.

“Hi there.” she spoke happily to Samia, “Welcome to Sootopolis Pokémon Centre, can I help you this afternoon?”

“Yes,” Samia answered, “I'm looking for a bar, called the Shining Dragon. Have you heard of it?”

Joy blinked, looking shocked at such a question. Evidently, not many people came into a Pokémon Centre asking for where the local bar was. “Erm...” she replied hesitantly, “It's on the top level of the crater, just go straight up the path behind the centre, you can't miss it.”

“Thank you.” Samia answered as he turned and left the Pokémon centre, the automatic glass doors opening smoothly as he approached them. Going around the back of the building, Samia saw the path leading up to the top of the crater, a criss-cross of winding stairs and walkways. Seeing no reason to linger, Samia set off up the trail.

The walk up was strenuous, but Samia found it good exercise for his lazy muscles. If he had to start getting fit, he might as well start small. It took about twenty minutes for him to reach the top where he found the bar, The Shining Dragon.

Like the rest of Sootopolis, the building was carved into the rock face, its walls matching the same granite-grey of the crater. Windows lined the outside, just above head height, and a single door lay in the middle through which the hubbub of bar talk could faintly be heard. Adjusting his hood to make sure his face was hidden, Samia walked inside.

Inside, it was surprisingly bright, illuminated by high strung strip lights and several TV screens. The bar itself was a dark black, seemingly made out of marble or some other smooth stone, and stretched the length of the room, staffed by three or four bartenders. Tables lined the walls, each with their own alcove, giving groups a certain amount of privacy if they so wished.

As he walked up to the bar, Samia looked around at the patrons. It was only midday, so the bar wasn't too busy, just what appeared to be a few local fishermen, all of them looking at one of the TV screens. Not paying them much attention, Samia walked up to the bar.

Seeing him approach, a female bartender strolled over, her black hair in an elegant pony tail, wearing the typical bartender uniform of black with a small logo.

“Can I help you?,” she asked.

“Yes,” Samia replied, “I'm looking for someone named Kori, I don't suppose you know him?”

A frown crossed the barmaid’s attractive features. “Kori? I'll have to ask my boss.”

Sitting down, Samia watched the barmaid walk up to another member of staff. This member of staff was clearly in charge, from the way he stood and spoke, he oozed authority. As the barmaid spoke to him, his eyes snapped over to Samia's hidden features, and he walked over, the light from above shining on his hairless head.

“You the guy looking for Kori?” He asked firmly, he voice laced with the flowing Hoenn accent.

Samia blinked, surely the barmaid had just told him that? “Yes...” he replied slowly, “Do you know him?”

“Yeah, I know him.” The bartender replied, “And I can tell you he's not here.”

Samia scowled under his hood. This guy wasn't being helpful on purpose. “Can you tell me where he is or when he'll be here?”

“Nope.”

“Do you know how I could contact him?”

“Nope”

“Do you have any info you on him whatsoever?”

“Nope”

This was getting frustrating very quickly. Still, if he wanted to play that game, Samia was happy to oblige. “I guess I'll just wait here then.”

“Fine by me, but if your staying you have to buy something.”

Looking behind the bar, Samia could see an assortment of alcoholic and soft drinks, each contending with each other to get the attention of their potential customers with bright labels and banners. “Just a bottle of lager please.”

The bartender frowned, but quickly moved when Samia added “Not serving me would be a bad idea.”

“Of course, I'll get it for you now... sir.”

As the bartender walked off to the cooler, Samia looked up at the TV screens to see what everyone was so interested in. When he saw what it was, he thought he might as well watch it from another point of view.

On the screens a highlight reel from the Tournament was playing, showing the best strategies, rarest Pokémon and match highlights. It appeared at the moment it was showing Alanah's path to the final, to which the locals seemed very interested.

The barman came back, handing Samia his drink. Handing over the cash, he took a sip of the crisp amber nectar, refreshing himself after two days of drinking nothing but water. Leaning back Samia could do nothing but wait, so wait he did.

The final bout between Alanah and himself came up on the screen, and the bar seemed almost deathly silent. Even the bar staff stopped their chit-chat to watch the battle. Still sipping his drink, Samia looked around at the people watching. They were enthralled, completely focused on the match. It was weird, watching it from a non trainer perspective was truly different from his own. When Samia watched trainers battle, he was constantly analysing, finding weaknesses in their strategies and thinking of the best way to exploit them. “Normal” people however, watched for pure entertainment, not really caring about who won or lost.

As he looked on, someone tapped him on his shoulder and he nearly fell off his barstool in shock.

“Samia?” asked a deep voice from behind him.

Clutching his chest to try and calm his beating heart, Samia replied, “In the name of Arceus, man! You nearly scared me to death!” Jumping off the stool, Samia turned around to see who was bothering him.

The man who stood before him was tall, really tall. Samia had to crane his neck to see his face properly. Across the man's thick set features, a needle thin white scar ran from just below his right eye down to the left side of his chin. His hair was white and cut short, almost in a military style buzz cut. His clothes were rough and ready, as if he had been travelling all his life. Baggy cargo pants with plenty of pockets complemented a light green tank top which showed off bulging muscles.

“You are Samia, aren't you?” he asked again, a bit more insistently.

His heart still racing slightly, Samia answered, “Yes, yes I am. Am I to assume that you are Kori?”

The man nodded. Then he did something strange. He crossed his right arm across his chest, in some sort of strange salute, and bowed to Samia. “It is an honour to meet you sir.” He spoke humbly, “I am indeed Kori, and I come from The Order on the request of its leader. If you are interested, I will take you to him now.”

This was it. The moment of truth. Should he go on this escapade that was probably going to be a useless waste of time? Another bunch of useless old men who wanted to exploit him for their own profits and gains?

No. Even if there was a minuscule chance Samia could find out about his grandfather, and by extension himself, he had to go, no matter what the odds...

“Very well then Kori, lead on.”
    Last edited by some colour no doubt; 26th February 2011 at 07:31 AM.

Now available in 4D! Flygon 101's Avatar
    In the gorgeous, golden spires of the city Prospillium.
    Blog Entries

And so the journey begins.......

A refreshing difference in pace from the past few chapters, considering that barely anything happens in this chapter anx that Flygon is the only pokemon in it. Thats not to say it was boring, it gave us an insight to a lot of things.

When you first mentioned that the effects of "the power" were lasting longer, I immediately envisaged something called "the bleeding effect". If you dont know what it is, look it up. Dont know if thats what youre aiming for but........

Anyway, keep up the good work.
    I extend my hand to the marvelous authors of this forum. I have read your works and I know that your imagination knows no bounds. Can you help me create a region? I will dedicate the series of fics I intend to use this region for to the gracious people who choose to help me on this audacious task.

So Im asking you once again Bulbagarden - can you help me?

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f512/new-region-help-95004/

Now available in 4D! Flygon 101's Avatar
    In the gorgeous, golden spires of the city Prospillium.
    Blog Entries

A refreshing difference in pace from the past few chapters, considering that barely anything happens in this chapter and that Flygon is the only pokemon in it. Thats not to say it was boring, it gave us an insight to a lot of things.

When you first mentioned that the effects of "the power" were lasting longer, I immediately envisaged something called "the bleeding effect". If you dont know what it is, look it up. Dont know if thats what youre aiming for but........

I extend my hand to the marvelous authors of this forum. I have read your works and I know that your imagination knows no bounds. Can you help me create a region? I will dedicate the series of fics I intend to use this region for to the gracious people who choose to help me on this audacious task.

So Im asking you once again Bulbagarden - can you help me?

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f512/new-region-help-95004/

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

This was a refreshing break from the constant battle scenes, it lets us see how much of a badass Samia is, even off the field. It's good to see the story begin to develop. This leaves me as excited for the next chapter as ever!

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep, this was the chapter that really started to move the story along.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Get the cool shoeshine! Glitchitar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon 101 View Post

A refreshing difference in pace from the past few chapters, considering that barely anything happens in this chapter and that Flygon is the only pokemon in it. Thats not to say it was boring, it gave us an insight to a lot of things.

You mean, the one that originated from the combination of Animus+Eagle effect+Desmond Miles cocktail?
    Anyways, Samia does have an accent? Tell me. Good chappie.
    Last edited by Glitchitar; 25th February 2011 at 08:54 AM.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very interesting chapter, I really want to know what happens.

But one thing... I don't like that Alanah...
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast