Chapter 6: End of an Era
    Chapter 7: Blood Feud
    Chapter 8: Sootopolis
    Chapter 9: The Order
    Chapter 10: Pokémon Master?
    Chapter 11: Initiate Johnson

Prologue

Thud.

A concussive impact shook the stadium, every row, down to the spectators very teeth. Yet this just urged them on more, making them cheer louder, coming on in waves as the excitement spread throughout the crowd. In the arena, the two pokémon battled on, dealing heavy blows.

A frown crossed the young trainer's face, distorting his features. He knew he couldn't slip up here, not now, not in the final. He had not come this far to be defeated now. He quickly assessed the situation. Direct attacks weren't working, so it was time for something different.

“Sandslash!” the Trainer called out, somehow audible over the monstrous crowd. “Use Dig!”

Instantly, the diminutive Ground-type leapt into the air, showing its muscled, mousey physique and lethal, gleaming claws. It plummeted to the earth, claws first, and disappeared in a pillar of dust as it impacted, leaving nothing but a mound of dirt behind.

A column of flame ripped through the dust, forcing the trainer to shield his eyes. The dust was simply blasted out of the way by the intensity of the heat. Following up its attack, a raging Houndoom appeared, snarling angrily. Its barbed black tail whipped back and forth in frustration, its eyes darting back and forth, looking for its prey.

The Trainer simply smiled. Typical Houndoom, all bark, no bite. Sandslash had suffered little damage from the last attacks, whereas Houndoom was beginning to show signs of weariness.

Still, the Trainer needed to know more, and he knew what he had to do. He softly closed his eyes, and slowed his breathing down to a crawl, entering a trance-like state. Though his eyes were closed, he could still “see”, more clearly than he could with his eyes open. Two swirls of energy were presented to him, one just below the other. One was a mixture of reds and oranges, two hues locked in an eternal, violent dance, flying around rapidly and randomly. The other, just below the red one, was a light tan, spinning calmly, pulsating slightly.

He locked onto the calmer aura and felt his Sandslash in the centre of it, waiting for the order from its trainer. In this state, not only could he feel Sandslash, its emotions, its wounds, its location. For that moment, he was Sandslash.

Slowly, through the mental link, he pushed his thought into Sandslash, relaying silent orders. He opened his eyes, steadying himself. Whilst entering this state was undeniably useful, it was exhausting. He was forced to take deep breaths as he tried to steady himself, battling a sudden wave of fatigue. Looking back to the battlefield, Houndoom was now beginning to lose control, unsettled by the lack of appearance of its opponent.

“Sandslash! Now!”

An explosion went off underneath Houndoom, throwing it and a large amount of gravel across the arena. Sandslash appeared, leaping into the air. Houndoom jumped back to its feet, and bellowed out a challenge to the still airborne Sandslash. Sandslash hit the ground rolling straight towards Houndoom.

Fire attacks bounced uselessly off the rolling pokémon, its thick hide impervious to the incoming flames, forcing Houndoom to back up. Again, Sandslash disappeared underground. This time however, it did not linger. Seconds later, it burrowed up from underneath Houndoom, landing two quick, heavy blows to the fire types hind legs.

Houndoom roared out in pain, its crippled legs unable to sustain its weight. Sandslash remained motionless, it's large, once gleaming claws, now stained crimson. Droplets of blood fell like raindrops, leaving spots near each pokémon's feet.

The crowd roared at the strategy. In one move, the young challenger had taken out one of the champions most renowned battlers.

Sandslash retook a ready stance, prepared to pounce if necessary. The ground type observed its opponent. Houndoom was two injured to stand, and the match officials ruled it unable to battle.

The crowd roared even louder, Five pokémon down, one to go. This annoyed the challenging trainer, did these people like seeing pokémon injured in this way? It gave him no joy to have caused such damage, even though he knew Houndoom would be fine. Still, what could he expect? He knew this would happen when he entered the tournament, yet he had his reasons. If the crowd wanted violence, they came to the right place.

The Trainer calmed himself, and Sandslash rolled over to him. He hugged his small pokémon, proud that his companion was victorious and relatively unharmed.

His eyes darted up, looking at the champion. As he has been the whole match, he wore a thick black cape, shrouding himself in darkness and mystery. Wordlessly, the Champion recalled the now incapacitated Houndoom and without a pause, summoned his final pokémon.

A light appeared, forming into a smooth, sinuous shape. A large sea serpent appeared, coloured light cream. The crowd collectively gasped at the beauty of the new appearance, yet the challenger remained silent.

A Milotic. This could be a problem. No need for Sandslash anymore.

Reaching to his waist, he swiftly recalled Sandslash to its pokéball with a solitary red beam of light, and then began to think of his options.

All six of the trainers pokémon were ready, but there was one he had been saving, one who would end this match in a heartbeat.

Looking up at the beautiful Milotic, he almost felt sorry for it. This was his most powerful pokémon, and few in the world could hope to stand up to it. Expanding the pokéball, he closed his eyes, knowing he was but seconds away from becoming grand champion.

With a flash of light, and whoosh of sound, the pokémon appeared.

The crowd looked on, waiting to see what pokémon the so-far flawless challenger had brought out to face the champion's mighty Milotic. If they were expecting a giant of a pokémon, they were going to be disappointed.

The pokémon appeared, it's fur pure white, with a large black scythe on its head. The crowd remained silent, for once. Evidently, they had expected something a bit more... dramatic, not an Absol. This did not concern the Trainer though, he knew what could be done with this, his most lethal pokémon.

The two pokémon stood, motionless, eyeing each other up, like they were in some old Western movie, waiting to see who would strike first. Over the speakers, the announcer told the crowd the names and types of both pokémon on the field.

Milotic broke first, screaming out a high pitched roar; it began snaking toward Absol, moving quickly as to avoid and possible counter-attacks. Absol remained still, calmly waiting for a command.

The Trainer barked out his order: “Absol, now! Use Night Slash!”

At the last second, Absol leapt out of the way of the flailing Milotic, leaving the water type to smash its tail into the ground, raising nothing but dust. Absol came pounding in, its claws glowing with a deep purple. Quickly, it landed three quick gouges in Milotic's smooth frame, causing the pokémon to cry out in pain. As rapidly as the attacks had landed, Absol had leapt back out of range, again, motionless.

Milotic raised itself up to its full height and drew it's head back in clear preparation for a water attack. The trainer remained calm, not at all worried, knowing exactly how to handle it.

Milotic released its attack, sending a torrent of sapphire water at the much smaller Absol, and the Trainer gave out his order.

“Absol, Psycho Cut! Right through that Hydro Pump!”

Pulling its head back, Absol's black scythe released a light purple blast with a flick of its neck. The attack was so powerful that it split the oncoming hydro pump in two, dividing it like the seas as the clearly much more powerful attack hurtled toward the shocked Milotic.

The water flew harmlessly past either side of Absol, yet Milotic was not so lucky. The challengers pokémon's attack had caused devastating damage to it, as it had landed head on. Milotic fell to the floor in a heap.

The crowd gasped. Was that it? How had some unknown kid manage to defeat the Grand Champion with apparent ease. On the field, the ref began a count out, but everyone knew what had happened. That pokémon wasn't getting up. Absol walked back to its trainer and sat by his side, and received a warming ruffle on its head.

The count finished, and the so-called “Grand Champion” again recalled his pokémon without a word and left the arena, never showing anyone his face.

That day, the unknown challenger became Grand Champion. And that was the day everything began to change.
    Last edited by some colour no doubt; 21st April 2011 at 09:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seasons, Prologue

Pretty excellent start, SCND. I love how you start off with an 'unknown' kid taking down the Champ, reminds me of the games. Anyways, your description and way with words to describe the battle was EPIC. I am definitely going to follow this story. Would you VM me when you update?

Now available in 4D! Flygon 101's Avatar
    In the gorgeous, golden spires of the city Prospillium.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Seasons (Prologue)

Wow, that was good. Love the likeness to the games and I also like how you used a more violent approach to pokemon battling, describing blood and broken legs.

The description was very good, and so was the plot. I can see how this could pan out into an epic battle between trainer and the lust for becoming more powerful. Of course, you could have something different in mind.

On a side note -
    I dont get how seasons come into play (Ill wait till next chapter first though)
    I thought Absol was a great choice and why was the crowd disappointed? I beat Cynthia with a Golbat.

But otherwise, great storytelling and cant wait for the next chapter.
    I extend my hand to the marvelous authors of this forum. I have read your works and I know that your imagination knows no bounds. Can you help me create a region? I will dedicate the series of fics I intend to use this region for to the gracious people who choose to help me on this audacious task.

So Im asking you once again Bulbagarden - can you help me?

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f512/new-region-help-95004/

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I liked the prologue, though I didn't understand much what was going on at first I liked how you portrayed the battle between the trainer and the champion, and I guess you wanted to keep their identities a secret considering that you didn't describe the actual characters.

Blog Entries

Duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn.....
    And he sends out....
    Absol?

Laughed at that scene. Absol are deadly, I know that very well. I loved it the whole way through! When you hinted it would be good, I had no idea how much you meant!!!
    Don't see how Seasons tied in, but I suppose we'll see.
    By the way, grammar was fine, and I can't wait to see where the plot goes!
    Well done!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Wow. That battle was quite honestly very very awesome.

I liked the line where it says "If the crowd wanted violence, they came to the right place."

Overall, a very promising start to a fic!

Blog Entries
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

Very good start. The battle was simple, but very well written. I cannot wait to read more.

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Book 1
    Autumn

Chapter 1
    The Champion

Eight years ago, an unknown youth crushed all opposition in the grand finals of the pokémon league, and became Grand Champion. He generally became recognised as one of, if not, the best trainer on the planet.

And he was bored.

Samia sat there, swivelling around on his office chair, with his eyes closed, not wanting to look at the mound of fan mail in front of him. Pulling his feet off the table, he brushed his thick, brunette locks out of his sight and cast his eyes round his office, thinking how wrong his naive views of being champion were.

From the simple white walls, the lack of any form of natural light, to the fact his secretary, yes his secretary, was sat outside, the whole thing was dull. He missed the days of being a travelling trainer, of helping his Grandfather out on the reserve, of not being tied down. What did he have now? A room with a desk.

Even his clothing had been forced to change. Looking down, he looked like a cross between a superhero and a businessman. A large pokéball was emblazoned on his chest, bordered with gold thread on a white background. His trousers were, well unremarkable, just simple black slacks, his feet clad in leather boots, his only link to his trainer days. That wasn't even the worst part. Hanging up on the door was a cape. Coloured bright red, he was expected to where it on all official occasions. Quite frankly he hated the damn thing.

Exhaling, Samia guessed he should start on the fan mail. If you could call it mail, the immature and disjointed letters were mainly from ten year olds, with the most coherent of it normally along the lines of “I THINK U IS AWEZOME BE MY FRIEND PLEAZE.” They could at least learn to spell properly, and without slipping on the caps lock button. It was unbelievably tempting to write back 'Caps lock is not cruise control for awesome, now go back to school', but apparently that would be sending the 'wrong message'.

Picking up a pen off the green wooden desk, he pushed down on the silver top, revealing the nib with a satisfying click. Again and again, he wrote more or less the same response. 'Thank you for taking the time to write to me, train hard, be kind to your pokémon, and one day I hope to see you in the League!' Each time with an autograph at the bottom, just to keep his 'fans' happy.

Quite what they were fans of, he didn't know. Since becoming Champion, he had received seven serious challenges, each more pathetic than the last. On the last one, some girl from Sinnoh, he actually went easy on her, allowing one of his pokémon to fall.

For half an hour, Samia wrote and wrote, barely paying attention. Looking away from his dull task, his eyes fell on his victory picture. He could barely recognise himself, the bright eyed ten year old that he had been. Surrounded by his array of pokémon, his eyes locked not on them, but on the only other person in the picture, the man who raised him, his Grandfather.

Even now, he could perfectly remember the slight prickle of the rough shaven chin, the frailness as they hugged, even the slight smell of cigar smoke that seemed to follow him round. Samia felt a pang of loneliness. He hadn't seen his Grandfather for nearly three years now, both of their duties had kept them too busy.

Samia snorted at his thought. Duties. Strolling round from photoshoot to photoshoot, commercial shoot to commercial shoot, dull task to dull task. If the League committee could do one thing, they kept him busy.

A sharp knock on the door interrupted his thoughts. Making himself look busy, Samia answered the knock. “Enter.”

His secretary walked in, and Samia could barely suppress his groan. Here came his daily timetable. Sometimes he felt sorry for Natasha. She was a bright girl, quite an accomplished trainer, and quite easy on the eye. And she was stuck managing his affairs, quite possibly one of the dullest tasks on the planet. Her clothes matched the dullness of her job, a long black pencil shirt, a crisp white blouse and intellectual glasses.

“What have we got today Natasha?” Samia asked, trying not to sound to bored.

Behind the lenses, Natasha's eyes narrowed. She had definitely heard his tone then. Ah well, Samia would get over it. Brushing her bright red hair behind her ears, she pulled up a clipboard, almost with a flourish.

“At 10 you are meeting with your official fan group.” Natasha spoke, doing quite a good job of faking interest. “At 11 delegates from the Sinnoh league are here.......”

“Nooo” Samia moaned, his heart dropping. “Cynthia is so dull. She constantly drones on and on about Team Galactic, the lake trio, and some other garbage.”

“Of course,” Natasha snapped, “But they are here nonetheless. At 12, you have a press conference about the new tournament, and your lack of participation.”

“Great, nothing like a grilling from the jackals of the media.”

“Continuing on, you have a break, then at 3, members of the Kanto gym league are here to ask about your lack of enthusiasm to the leagues of other reasons.”

“Nothing like being lectured by a group of trainers who couldn't quite make the League and can't be bothered to better themselves. And I bet that damn redhead will give me another talk on the 'importance of water types' and nearly deafen me in the process.”

Again, Natasha replied snappily, “If you say so, now please stop interrupting, next we have...”

Samia had already stopped paying attention. Someone would direct him where to go, and most likely tell him what to say. It's like these people thought he had some say over League policy. He wished, he was simply a poster boy, sent out to crush some new challenger now and again.

“Very well Natasha, thank you.” Samia spoke, signalling her to leave. Natasha gave a plastic smile, and then left the room, closing the door with a snap. Sighing again, Samia guessed he should be nicer to her, but after eight years, he just didn't care anymore.

Half an hour later, he was led to his fan club. A bunch of hyperactive children who nearly fainted as he entered the room. Some stared at him in awe, whereas other grilled him about his battle strategies and squad choices. Quite what they intended to inform him of, he had no idea. Here, he, the best trainer on the planet, was being told how to improve by a bunch of kids, most of whom probably hadn't even started there own journey. Samia gave robotic responses, signed a few more autographs, the same as every other time he had met them. Some even challenged him to battles, which he was forced to graciously decline a he left the room.

Good god. After nearly an hour with those brats, Samia's mood had only worsened. Out the door, Natasha guided him down a large corridor to the press theatre, which was sure to be another life-dulling experience.

The rest of the day ran like clockwork, so with some time left, Samia decided to pop into the training arena, just to let his pokémon out for today. On his waist lay only two pokéballs, Sandslash and Absol. He released the two out onto the painted gravel of the arena and sat down on the rough surface.

Everything here was dull. The only light came from a pair of strip lights, thirty feet up on the high ceiling. The walls were grey, with no decoration, the only door illuminated by a fire exit sign.

Even his pokémon looked bored, the once bright light that was behind there eyes having dulled, leaving just a slight sheen, though that could have been the light. They looked at him, sensing his feelings. Even there auras weren't as prominent as they once were, become dull, with very little movement, in contrast to when they use to battle, when they were a tornado of light and colour.

“I'm sorry guys,” Samia spoke sadly to his pokémon, “I didn't know it was going to be like this.” Looking at him sadly, the pair of them came over, curling up around him. The trio hugged each other, not blaming each other, but not relieving their frustration either.

For a time they just sat their in there embrace. It was nice being with his pokémon, though they weren't quite the powerhouse battlers that they once were. Years of doing only basic training and lack of any real challenge had left them out of shape. Still more than enough to face off against any trainer, but a serious challenger might find it easier than they would have done eight years previous. They wouldn't win, but might deal some serious damage.

The door opened, but Samia didn't look up. The footsteps of the new arrival echoed as they walked over, but Samia didn't care. Whoever it was, he had probably heard what they had to say at least a hundred times before.

“Erm, Sir?” Came Natasha's unsure voice.

“Yes Natasha?” Samia answered with a groan, still remaining on the floor.

“Erm, we just got a letter through, from your family.”

Samia eyes snapped open, alert. Other than his Grandfather, he never spoke to his family, completely out of choice. They just didn't get on. He could still recall there last 'talk', where they called him an embarrassment to the family name, mainly for having his ability to connect with pokémon, which they saw as freakish, and promptly disowned him. After that, his Grandfather took him in, raising him, teaching him his ideals. So what did they want now, after all this time?

“It says your Grandfather has fallen badly ill, and they don't know if he, well, if he's going to be okay...”

Samia jumped to his feet, shocked. “When did this letter arrive, and how?” He asked with a firm tone, shocking Natasha.

“Ummm, it must have arrived this morning, and it was dropped off by a Noctowl.”

“I should have been told sooner!!” Samia exclaimed, he quickly recalled his pokémon, and ran across the room. As he left the room he shouted across, “I'll be gone for a few days!”

He was going home.
    Last edited by some colour no doubt; 11th December 2010 at 12:29 PM.

One lost to time boondockArtist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow boondockArtist on Tumblr

Default Re: Seasons, Book 1, Autumn

Hmm... interesting,

And wow, I never knew being champ could be so boring; it's a twist. Nice good chapter start and (Your work and vocabulary is better than mine...)

"Hello Goodbye, Twas nice to know you
    "Hello Goodbye, I'm rather crazy
    How I find myself without you
    And I never thought I was crazy
    That I'll never know
    But what do I know?
    I let myself go"
    Now you have to go"

Boony's Bad Art Thread-"Come in for free eye band-aids today!"

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by godo157 View Post
    Hmm... interesting,

And wow, I never knew being champ could be so boring; it's a twist. Nice good chapter start and (Your work and vocabulary is better than mine...)
    Nah, my characters are in no way linked to the games or anime, srry dude. There may be a few references (like in this chapter), but nah not directly.
    As for my writing, thanks, i've been putting a lot of work into this and its nice to know its paid off. :)

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Guess Samia didn't know that being a champion was harder than what they told you, in the sense that you didn't do anything. Actually I like how you portray this, not a lot of people figure out that being a champion really is dull since they can't leave the Pokemon League and have to stay there till they get a challenger or they have to do some work, basically he's like a star with no free time combined with a bored businessman.

Blog Entries

Quite an interesting chapter you've got going here, SCND. As others have already commented, not many would expect being the league champion to be so dull. (Boredom is deadly, remember? ^_^") You've gotten some interesting character development going between this chapter and the prologue, that's for sure. I'll be interested in seeing Samia's grandfather, though. OCs, when well written, are better than any canon character to me. And it looks like you're well on the road to that path.

A fresh and growing community.

Library
    [Blogged listing of collected works that are posted on the Gardens.]

shsl music club member Catspring's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Catspring on Facebook
    Follow Catspring on Tumblr

Wow, your writing is a lot better than mine.
    I love how you portray the champions, and I can't wait to see what else Samia has ^^

A great start to what looks to be a really great story.

As a character, I quite like Samia. The way he treats his duties is quite interesting; you'd think he'd at least put some effort into the mundane elements of being a champion after fighting his way there. The only problem I can see at the moment is he seems a bit too good, really. If he was able to defeat the grand champion of his region with ease, and none of the challengers have even posed a threat to him, I'm not quite sure how you're going to bring forth any sort of challenge that will be difficult to him at all.

You have a real knack for writing good battle scenes, though. And if the challenge of the plot is the illness of his grandfather, well, bravo. It'll be interesting to see his vulnerability in future.

The only line that I really had an issue with was;

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter 1
    Pulling his feet off the table, he brushed his thick, brunette locks out of his sight and cast his eyes round his office, thinking how his wrong his naive views of being champion was.
    The bolded section just seems to be oddly worded, I'm not sure what it is. Possibly the repeated 'his' before and after wrong.

Either way, great start, I'll be following this.

Blog Entries
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

Awesome. So, Samia only used two Pokemon to become Champ? Wow, this guy IS good.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast