Ritchie: The Boy Who Won

Thread: Ritchie: The Boy Who Won

Default Ritchie: The Boy Who Won

"You know how the story ends, but how does it begin? Witness as, Ritchie, the boy who delivered the most heart breaking defeat in Pokémon history journeys throughout Kanto. Witness how Ritchie became the boy who won."

Does everybody remember Ritchie? I am quite looking forward to the challenge of making this guy interesting, I must admit. I hated him when I was younger, I think I was about 7 or 8 when he beat Ash in the Indigo League, I was devastated haha

This is his journey.

Chapter 1 - My Mystery

Hello. My name is Ritchie. I am going to be one of the greatest Pokémon Trainers who ever lived. I am going to become a Pokémon Master!

I am sure you have heard that a million times, right? Who doesn't want to become a Pokémon Master?

While I know you have heard the words before, while I know everybody has heard the words before, this time I really believe is different. I know I can be a successful Pokémon Trainer. I know I can catch them all and I know I can earn the respect of my peers.

I will beat all the Gym Leaders, I will catch all the Pokémon and I will stop at nothing to defeat every single person in the Indigo League.

You see, I'm not like the others. At least that is what I like to think. Everybody else, my so called friends in Frodomar City, my parents, all the Pokémon Trainers I have had the honour to talk to, seem to think that I am just an average Joe, wannabe Pokémon Trainer. A wannabe Pokémon Trainer who will work as hard as he can and learn everything there is to learn about this wonderful world.

But then again, when it is said like that, maybe that's exactly what I am. Everybody has the dream, everybody wants to going around and meet people and create unbreakable bonds with people and Pokémon alike. Few ever actually realise this dream.

That's how I will be different. I will achieve my dream, and I will become the Kanto League Champion.

At any cost...

---

Woke up early? Check!

Ready for the day I start my Pokémon journey? Check!

Oh, just imagine if I had overslept. Ha!

Dressed in strong and durable clothing? Check!

Received my first Pokémon before I have to register as a Pokémon Trainer? Check!

Then this is it, my journey begins, my dream of being a Pokémon Master starts now! This is gonna be amazing. I am going to look back on this day for years to come. This day will be the day that it all began. Nothing could ruin today, nothing.

I have been thinking about and preparing for this day ever since I can remember. I have packed my bag (weeks in advance, actually), I have five potions, and I have five full heals stuffed inside, I bought a very, very fashionable green outfit that is perfect for the heavy duty, daily grind of a Pokémon Trainer's life. Well, ok, maybe it isn't the most fashionable thing in the world but that doesn't matter, it's resilient and long lasting, and it will protect me in all weathers, that's good enough for me.

I kinda spent all my money on this stuff so they better last until I can get some more cash, though that shouldn't be a problem. With my Pokémon by my side I am sure to be winning battles and earning money in no time.

And most importantly, I have a Pokémon.

Unlike some other beginning Trainers, I don't have to make the long trek over from Frodomar City to Professor Oak's lab in Pallet Town and choose a starter Pokémon. Although I would love the opportunity to go and meet the old Professor and choose a starter from him, I don't need too. You see, I already have my Starter Pokémon covered.

When I was nine years old, exactly one year ago today, my father left me a Poké Ball, and within this Poké Ball would the Pokémon I would begin my journey with. And with this Poké Ball he left me a promise, a promise that if the Pokémon's identity was kept hidden until the day my journey begins then the Pokémon will bring me all the luck I need to win the Kanto League. Superstitious, yes, but I could use all the help I get. And I kept my promise, today I finally get the chance to see the power that's inside my Poké Ball. My Starter.

You have no idea how much I have daydreamed about the Pokémon contained within. My father was never a trainer himself, none of my family or friends were actually, he was just a businessman. And I was never really told how he came about the Pokémon, as he had to move away on business, and he left me the Poké Ball as his parting gift. I wasn't exactly interested in how he got it anyway, just that he got it. And all my thoughts for the past year have been swirling with the idea of who was in this ball. Was it the standard: Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur? Or was it something from another region? Was it a rare Pokémon? Was it a Legendary Pokémon?!

When I started to have visions of myself ordering a Moltres around I eventually slapped myself out of such hallucinations.

But still, why wasn't I allowed to open it? Why did my father want this Pokémon to be shrouded in mystery for a whole year? He knew this Pokémon would be all I would think about. He knew I would be curious.

Maybe he just wanted to torture me with a lesson on patience. He always took things to the extreme like that.

Although, to give myself some credit, I have somehow managed to keep myself from ever actually opening the Poké Ball. A whole year I had to walk past the locked basement where it was held. A whole year I had daydreams of Lugia and Zapdos raging underneath my house.

I know I have probably built up the idea of what this Pokémon will be too much. But, really, I don't mind, even if it was a Cleffa I'd be happy. Well, once the shock had died down anyway.

For the all daydreaming and fantasising I have done about my mysterious Pokémon, today I am finally going to find out the unknown. My Starter, who are you?

It's my 10th birthday today. And just like I do at every birthday(and Christmas) I was wide awake at six o'clock in the morning and I was running throughout the house, tearing all the rooms upside down looking for the key to the basement(and not for the first time since I found out my Starter was in there, I'll admit). But once again I was subjected to another promise. The first time I had heard from my father in a whole year was a simple text: saying that I couldn't open the Poké Ball before I left the house, it must be opened "when my journey officially began".

Even from miles away the old man is annoying.

Well, I have just left my house in Frodomar City. I am dressed. My messy hair is kept under control beneath my hat. My backpack is packed with everything I need. And I am on the way to the Pokémon Centre to get myself officially registered for the Kanto League Challenge.

I stared out over the horizon of the beautiful Frodomar City scenery and couldn't believe all the wonders I had been imagining for the past few years were actually upon me. My dreams were just beginning. The adventures had arrived.

The journey has begun!

Now, with the monotony of everyday life behind me, with my house and home in the dust, I can really get started. The mystery of the Poké Ball will finally end.

So now the time has come. No more excuses, no more promises. My mystery is over.

I took the Poké Ball from my belt and I palmed it in my hands. At some point I must have started breathing heavily, and my hands weren't as steady as they usually are either. I must be more nervous that I thought. I started rolling Poke Ball over in my hands. I had been waiting for this moment all my life, yet now that it's here am starting to feel a little anxious.

There's nothing to be nervous about, there's nothing to be nervous about. I kept repeating the phrase in my head and I plucked up my courage. I tapped the centre of the ball and it shot up in an instant filling my palm.

I clutched the red and white ball of mystery in my right hand, ready to deliver the words I has been waiting a whole year, no, my whole life to saying. I took a deep breath, and tried to steady myself as I prepared to take a strong throw of the ball.

Ok, Ritchie, here we go. "Poké Ball...I choose you!"

The action never came.

Before I could release the ball from my grip I was tackled to the ground. I was attacked from behind and was suddenly face down on the floor.

I was disoriented. What had happened? I tried to get up on my hands and knees and have a look around but I was kicked in the stomach. It took my breath away and I found myself flat on the floor once again. I heard footsteps stomping away as I tried to get up again but was collapsed back down in pain. I turned my head around to see where the footsteps were coming from.

By the time I had collected some semblance of my bearings and tried to pick myself up off the ground, I was watching three men with hoods drawn over their heads running away from me - with my Poké Ball in their possession.

I had been robbed. They had stolen my Pokémon!

I tried to get up, I tried to run after the thieves but I was too slow, I was barely to my feet before they had disappeared over the Frodomar landscape.

It all happened so quickly. They were gone.

My Pokémon had been stolen. The Pokémon that was entrusted to me to help me start my journey was gone. The Pokémon I had been dreaming about all my life was gone just like that!

Why? Why now? Why me! Why would they attack me, I was nobody! I wasn't anyone special.

I don't have a Pokémon, they won't let me register for the League without a Pokémon, and they won't let me become a Trainer!

My dreams flashed before me all at once. Every battle I would have. Every Pokémon I would catch. The special bond I would share with everybody I meet. I had always dreamed of how my journey would begin. I would begin in a blaze of glory. I would catch the strongest Pokémon, I would defeat everybody in my path and I would become undefeated.

But no, that's not what was happening. No glory, no winning streak, no Pokémon. This had never come into the equation. This wasn't something I envisioned.

Of all the ways I had fantasied this day would go, of all the ways my journey could have begun…

My story starts in disaster.

TO BE CONTINUED…
    Team Rocket: Built on Lies

Set after the events of Operation Tempest, Giovanni's next scheme plans to send the world into ruin. But what will Team Rocket do when they realise Operation Tempest has changed Giovanni forever...

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/team-rocket-built-lies-146799/

Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1891 - 1654 - 1184

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Ritchie: The Boy Who Won

This sir, is fantastic

Chapter 2 – Run

I have to get my Pokémon back! I have to catch those thieves! They need to pay for what they did!

I ran. I ran for my life. I ran towards my thieves, faster than I have ever ran before. I couldn’t stop, I had no time! I couldn’t stop until I had caught them and I had my Pokémon back. I couldn’t think of anything else, I just had to keep putting my feet on the ground and pushing forward and going faster and faster and catching those men.

The wind was whipping through my hair, the terrain underneath my feet was changing as I ran, but I couldn’t focus of the environment around me. I just had to keep running towards the spot on the horizon where my attackers disappeared. I had no way of knowing how far I ran or even if I was even on the same track as the thieves were. I couldn’t give up… I couldn’t give up…

But they were gone. I couldn’t see them. Since they had disappeared over the landscape I had just been running in this direction, for as far and as long as I could. But the battle was lost. They had vanished. Nowhere to be seen. My starter had vanished. No Pokémon, no thieves, no nothing, just me. All alone.

My legs gave way after what seemed like hours of running, I must have travelled miles. I crumbled onto the hard floor and it dawned on me what was happening, on what had happened. This couldn’t be real. Why had this happened to me? I hit the floor in anger as I realised what was true.

My journey is over. Over before it even began. What if I never catch them? What if I never see them again? What will I do? I am a Trainer without Pokémon…

Ok, ok, ok, think logically Ritchie… What do I have to do now? My Pokémon has been stolen. I need to report it. Maybe the police have caught them. Maybe they have my Pokémon.

So my aching legs were once again called to action as I picked myself up, dusted myself off and ran back towards Frodomar City. I aimlessly wandered around the city looking for a police station. I have lived here all my life yet I never had the need for the police. I had to ask a few people what direction it was first (which didn’t make me feel pathetic, at all), but I found the building and made my way into the small police station.

So instead of running into the wilds of the open countryside with my Pokémon by my side like I had been imagining for all of my life, I was actually stuck inside, waiting for the Frodomar City police to see me. I was stuck in their waiting room for what was surely hours, in spite of the clock telling me it wasn’t very long at all before they ushered me into an interview room.

I was sat slouched at a desk as a big balding man in a blue uniform came stumbling through the door. He was just hanging up his phone and laughing as he walked in. I was in no mood for laughter.

“Hello, son, I see you are here to report a robbery?” He sat down opposite me on the desk and asked his questions. He lit up a cigarette and started taking a smoke as he pulled out a notepad. This guy seems awfully casual, I am sure I heard stories about a glamorous Officer Jenny. I guess she is be busy.

I don’t know if it was my disheartened mood at the way my journey started but this guy really didn’t look like he would be able to help. Please prove me wrong, Inspector…

I sat up in my chair and tried to explain my situation. “Umm, yes, I was just attacked from behind and had my Pokémon stolen.”

“I see, I am very sorry to hear that. Let’s see what we can do.” He took out a pencil and started writing something down, after taking a smoke. I wish he would put that out, it’s hardly professional. “So let’s go through all of the events from the beginning, shall we?”

I looked at him and tried to keep my voice steady. “I had just come out my house, it’s my 10th birthday today and I was just about to start my Pokémon journey and challenging the Kanto League. When I wasn’t looking somebody tackled me from behind and stole my Pokémon.” The smoky room was starting to look as gloomy as my mood was.

“I see, I see,” Furious writing in his pad, “Did you get a look at who attack you?”

“No, not really, not a good one,” Even I know that sounds as hopeless as it gets. “I was thrown to the ground from behind, by the time I had the chance to look I could only see the back of three men with black hoodies.”

“There were three of them?” His eyebrows seemed to prick up at that information.

My heartbeat grew faster. He knew three thieves? Are they caught? “Yes, yes, and they took my Poké Ball.” Maybe he could help. Maybe he could find my Pokémon!

“Did anybody see this robbery?”

“No, no, I don’t think so, I was all alone out there.”

He looked disappointed at that, though he tried to hide it. “Ok, ok, and what was the Pokémon that was stolen?”

Now that was a good question. “Err, I don’t know.”

He looked up from his pad before asking, “You don’t know?”

“It was given to me as a gift. I hadn’t had the chance to see what it was yet.”

He didn’t seem too happy with that information, either. “Right, forget about the Pokémon for second.” If only I could. “These thieves, could one of them have been female?”

“Oh, um, yeah, maybe, I guess so.” They had their hoods up, they looked quite big from my perspective but I suppose one of them could have been a woman.

A smile grew on his face, “Ahh, that’s good, there have been reports of a gang of three Pokémon thieves operating around Kanto lately.”

“Oh, really?" It's something at least, if they were well known maybe there was a better chance they would be caught and I could get my Pokémon back! I was starting to feel better already.

“So, listen, these three thieves... Was one of them a cat?”

"I-I beg your pardon?" …What did he say?

“Was one of them a cat? A Meowth to be-”

“No!” A cat!?! A freaking cat! “No! No, no, one of them was not a cat. It was three men, three large men in black hoods!”

His optimism since I brought up the trio of thieves seemed to be dashed as he started writing in his pad again.

“Black, huh? Ah, well, those other guys wear white anyway.”

What kind of thieves wears white? Actually, what kind of thieves has a cat? A cat! Oh my goodness. I put my head in my hands on the Inspector table.

The Policeman cleared his throat and started talking again. “Right, ok, so we can rule those guys out, at least.” He literally crossed something out on his pad. “Do you have any other information for us? Did you see which way they ran away?”

“North, maybe, I don’t know.” I mumbled through my hands. “That’s the way I ran when I tried to chase them. But I couldn’t find them.”

The officer looked uncomfortable at the little amount of information I could offer. “I am sorry, kid, but without a look at the people who attack you, no eye witnesses of the robbery or even an identification of the Pokémon that was stolen, I am afraid there is very little chance they will be caught. Of course, we will keep trying, robberies like these aren’t common in our city, and we will keep on lookout for three hooded robbers, but the chances of them being caught are slim.”

I have to admit, I was devastated. “But my Pokémon...” I don’t like to admit that I was on the verge of tears, “There’s nothing you can do? Please, anything you can do I’ll be grateful.”

“I’m sorry, Ritchie, but we-”

I cut him off before he could finish. “So what am I supposed to do now?! Huh? I have no Pokémon! How am I supposed to be a trainer without a Pokémon?”

“I'm sorry.” He did look genuinely guilty, and I suppose I hadn’t been behaving appropriately. “Err, if I was you, kid, I would try and speak to Professor Oak, he might be able to sort something out for you.”

Professor Oak. I had thought of that, of course I had thought about that, I had been dreaming of getting a Pokémon from him for ages, but no, my father had “everything sorted”. There’s no way I could get a Pokémon from Oak now, to get anywhere close to a starter Pokémon from him you had been be put on a huge waiting list, not to mention the steep price to even get on the list. If I show up there with a just a sob story I am gonna be laughed out the door. Not to mention Pallet Town was miles away.

But maybe it would be worth going to him. The legendary good will of the old Professor might be able to help me in some way.

I left the police station even more demoralized than I already was. That was it. My Starter is gone and will never be found. No hope of reunion, no hope of catching the people who stole my wonderful mysterious starter. No hope of becoming a Pokémon Master.

No. No, no, no, no. I will not let this happen. I don’t care if it takes me all my life I will get my Pokémon back.

I will not let my journey be ruined just because some random thugs chose to attack a weaker target. Cowards! I may be weak now but one day I will be strong. One day I will be Kanto League Champion and one day I will get my revenge. One day I will be the strongest trainer in Kanto and then we will see who you try to attack from behind.

I have no hope of being a Pokémon Master… Until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will find Professor Oak, I will convince him to give me a starter Pokémon and then I will start my quest.

The trek over to Pallet Town will take all day and all night. My first day as a fully-fledged Pokémon Trainer, my whole 10th Birthday so far has been spent waiting around in a police station and the rest will be spent bored senseless on a long bus across the region to Pallet Town.

Oh joy.

TO BE CONTINUED…

Set after the events of Operation Tempest, Giovanni's next scheme plans to send the world into ruin. But what will Team Rocket do when they realise Operation Tempest has changed Giovanni forever...

Blog Entries

Wow, I honestly forgot about Richie. This is a very good story so far, and has a ton of potential.

The only thing I can really see so far is describig the enviroment. You did a good job at describig Richie and the theives, and we all know what a city looks like, but what about when he was attacked. He was outside the city, but thats about all we know.

Great beginning though! Cant wait to read more!
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Blog Entries

I agree, some more description of the setting and world around us would be good. Also, be careful not to switch tenses from past to present. Great idea to tell a story from Ritchie's POV though. He was always my favorite of Ash's rivals.

Keep up the good work.

Chapter 3: Eden and Oak

So, here it is. Pallet Town. For such a small and apparently uninteresting town it sure does have a legacy of creating some high classed and important trainers. Though I doubt anybody would ever come here if it wasn't Professor Oak's hometown. And that was exactly who I wanted to see.

It was quite a lovely morning in Pallet Town. A cloudless blue sky covered the small town and the whole place was awash with bright sunlight. The red roofs of a small collection of housed dotted around the landscape as I looked down upon the town. Dirt pathways crisscrossed between the different buildings and all the roads seemed to lead to one place. Several white building stood out furthest on the horizon and I saw a huge wind turbine stretching up from one of the buildings. The Oak Corral, that was where I needed to be.

I have been thinking all night how exactly I was going to approach this. My motive sounds like I am planning to steal a rare Pokémon from an old Professor. It's not my fault I want my first Pokémon to be cool and interesting. Everybody does. And if I cannot have my amazing mystery Pokémon then I want something rare, specifically Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur...

It's not gonna be easy to get any of those, if I had signed up a few years ago then my only conundrum would be which one to choose. But no, I don't have such an option, my father was quite emphatic about me not signing up for such an opportunity because he said he would sort it out for me. "I will provide you with everything you need."

Oh man, what am I going to tell my dad?!

My father said he would buy all my gear, the most expensive of equipment and devices but I told him no. I wanted to do this how everybody else does it. Earn money myself and live on what I earn. I hope I earned his respect by saying that.

If he finds out I had already lost my first Pokémon he will kill me.I couldn't tell him I had lost my Pokémon already. He'd be so disappointed. I haven't told anybody, I just need to keep quiet and then nobody will know I am already such a failure at this.

I have my pride. No Pokémon. But pride. Because I am a nice and respectable individual. Now I just need to swindle an old man out of a rare and valuable Pokémon and I will be on my way.

That sounds bad, doesn't it?

So here I am, just standing in front of the famous Oak Corral. This really is make or break. If I don't get anything from here I am basically stuck. No money, no Pokémon... I'll have to go back home and admit defeat. I don't think will ever live that embarrassment down.

I was just about to traverse the long pathway up into Oaks lab when I saw a girl racing out of the lab and almost ran straight into me.

The girl was very pretty. Pale skin covered in a red jumper and black shorts and her long red hair flowing down her back as she ran. She as literally bouncing with energy as she just about saw I was standing in front of her and stopped her dash as she saw me. "Hello!" She stood right in front of me and gave a very cheerful greeting. Too cheerful for my current mood but I shall try my best...

I forced a smile and greeted her, "Good morning, umm, how are you?"

"Oh, oh, oh, I am fantastic. I just got my first Pokémon, I start my Pokémon journey today!"

Don't some people have all the luck? "Really? That is excellent, you must be very excited."

"Oh, of course. I'm gonna be Kanto League Champion." By the look on her face she was visualizing holding that trophy up as we speak. "And I will become a Pokémon Master!"

No, you won't. I will. "Haha, right, well, I wish you all the best." I tried to move past her and enter the lab.

"Thank you! Look at my Charmander! Isn't he awesome?" The girl pulled a Poké Ball out of her back pocket and threw it high into the air. The ball exploded in a flash of light and a small red lizard materialised in between us. The Charmander looked around expectantly and leaped into the girls arms when the Fire Pokémon saw his trainer.

What a Pokémon! I had always loved the Charizard family. "Wow, he looks amazing." I stepped forward and pet the Fire Pokémon on his head. The Charmander squeaked in appreciation and wriggled in her arms trying to get more attention. How lucky she was to have such a Pokémon, and start her journey with what will become a true powerhouse. Ok, now I'm starting to feel jealous...

"I just got him yesterday. Me, Professor Oak's grandson and some guy from Johto all chose starter Pokémon together. Although I have actually known this Charmander for years. When I was younger Professor Oak let me play with all the baby Pokémon just after they hatched. And this little guy finally matured just as I turn legal age. Isn't that amazing! It's like we were destined to be together."

"You certainly seem to share a bond..." I tried my best to smile and not let my envy show through, "I probably would have chosen Charmander as well."

"I know, Charmander is so much better than the other two! I was so busy showing him off to all my friends yesterday I didn't even have time to start my journey. But a one day delay doesn't matter, Zippo and I are gonna rule the world!"

Huh? "Zippo?"

"Yes, Zippo! That's this little guys name." She looked at her little Pokemon with pride.

Wow… What a crap name. "Your Charmander is called Zippo?"

She must have caught the derision in my voice. Her bright and sunny personality since we met started to turn. "Yeah! What's wrong with that? It's a perfect name!"

"Umm, nothing is wrong, Zippo is…" Ridiculous, horrible, stupid, dreadful, "A great name." Guess my voice wasn't as steady as I had hoped as her annoyance didn't seem to subside.

"Ok, I was five when I named him! Give me a break! And who are you to call me out anyway? What are you even doing here? Professor Oak gave out all his starters yesterday so you can't be a beginning trainer." It seems I angered her.

"I am a beginning trainer actually, I just need to talk to Professor Oak." I walked away from her and up the pathway. I really didn't feel like telling this girl my woeful beginnings as a trainer.

"So why do you need to see Oak?" She was right behind me as she followed me up the pathway.

"Err, it's nothing." I really didn't want to divulge my life story to everybody I met, especially not this annoying girl.

"Well, he's a busy man, you know, you can't keep him away from important business for nothing." She crossed her arms as she spoke to me in her condescending tone.

"It is not nothing. It's important, trust me. It's more important than anything I ever dreamed of."

She laughed at my, admittedly quite melodramatic, statement. "Wow, you should write that down, it'd be good for a musical or something. So Mr Trainer, what is it that is the most important thing in the world?"

Oh great, she wasn't going to leave me alone without telling her something. "Well, I was supposed to start my Pokémon journey yesterday as well. But my starter was stolen so I came here to see if the Professor could help me in some way."

She didn't give any sympathy to my predicament and continued to look down her nose at me. "What do you want him to do? Give you a starter?

That would be nice… "Well, I-"

"You can't just rock up here with some lame excuse and expect him to give you Pokémon you haven't earned!" It looks like I have annoyed her again.

"I know, I just-"

"You're just an opportunist trying to get one over on the old man, aren't you?"

"What? No, of course not!" Well, not as maliciously as she was implying anyway.

"You better not be, I hate to see people take advantage of his good nature. I've seen it too many times. Yesterday he gave an idiot a Pikachu he didn't deserve. And even he showed up late!"

That was nice of the Professor, I wonder if lightning will strike twice.

I had walked up the stair, with the ginger girl at my tail and I pressed the doorbell on the building. I waited for a while and tried to ignore the girls tirade about how I was apparently the worst person in the whole world. Her chatter was stopped when to my surprise it was Professor Oak himself who answered the door. I assumed he would be too busy to answer his own door. "Oh, hi, Mr Oak I-"

"Ahh, Eden, still here I see." He had a broad smile across his face as he acknowledged the girl standing next to me.

She took her suspicious gaze away from me and answered him. Her mood brightened as she talked to Professor Oak. "Yes, sir, I was just leaving." She returned her Charmander back to its Poké Ball and faced the Professor with a confident smile. "My Pokémon journey starts now."

"Very good, very good. You and your Charmander seem like an excellent team, I am sure you will go far. I wish you all the luck in the world."

"Thank you Professor. I'll keep in touch." She shook the Professors hand and gave me a untrustworthy glance before leaving the buildings doorstep.

"Oh you be sure of it! I'll look forward to your progress." The Professor stood and watched the young girl walk away before he addressed me with a warm smile and a heart handshake. "Hello, young man, err, do I know you?"

Here we go, Ritchie, play this right and you could get a Pokémon. "No, actually you don't, my name is Ritchie. I was hoping I could talk to you about starting my Pokémon journey."

"Excellent, yes, yes, come in." Wow, he was seeing me straight away? He must really care about young trainers, surely he has other things to do.

"Oh, thank you, sir, and thank you so much for seeing me on such short notice." I took a little bow of respect in front of him (too much?), he laughed at my greeting and motioned for me to come in and follow him. I walked behind him as we travelled through the building and my curiosity was getting the better of me and I tried to take a quick peek into all the different doors as I was keeping up with his brisk pace. I could see all different kinds of laboratories, a Poké Ball storage facility and rooms I couldn't even begin to imagine their purpose.

We came to a door and Oak walked into what seemed like a very humble office room. Books lined the walls and the whole places seemed very lived in. He certainly didn't seem to tidy up much. Funny, I always imagined the famous Professor Oak as being quite clean and orderly. Maybe he doesn't have the time.

"Please sit down, Ritchie. I am always happy to talk to and help starting trainers whenever I can. You know, I sent away my last batch of starting trainers yesterday. Now that their journey has begun I can look forward to all the Pokédex data they will send me." He looked very happy at that prospect. "Actually my own grandson started out yesterday. Such an intelligent boy, I am sure he will do splendidly, mind you, his rival will surely keep on his toes, but that's when we work best, don't you find?"

The question surprised me as I was (quite selfishly) trying to figure out how I should phrased my questions from now. "Oh, yes, absolutely."

"Oh, I am sorry, excuse my rambling." I hope my tone hadn't offended him, though his beaming smile never left his face. "So, what can I do for you, Ritchie?"

Once again, I explained my story. "Well, umm, like your grandson I was also supposed to start my Pokémon journey yesterday, but I kinda had my starter Pokémon stolen."

"Oh my goodness, how awful for you." He did seemed terribly upset for me, not believing my plight to be a sob story one bit, unlike Eden's implications.

"Well, I talked to the police and they said there was nothing really they could do, they did imply that maybe you could help me in some way?"

Realisation dawned upon him, "Oh, I see, well, umm," He scratched his head and seemed to be thinking over the situation.

I gently pushed him. "Sir, anything you can do to help would be much appreciated, right now I have no money, no Pokémon, this whole thing has just been a nightmare, to be honest."

He started to stand up and walk away from his desk. "Ok, ok, wait here, I'll see what I can do." He smiled and patted me on the shoulder before leaving the room.

What was he doing? Was he getting me a Pokémon? My heart pounded as I was left in his small office and I turned in my chair and watched the door with baited breathe as I waited for the Professor to come back, hopefully with a Pokémon!

I am sure he was gone for hours, though my watch was telling me it was only a few minutes. I (finally) heard footsteps coming down the hall and saw the energetic old man come stumbling through the door. "Ritchie, here you go." He was carrying a tray of six Poké Balls which he set down on his desk. "These are some empty Poké Balls which should help you get started in building a roster of Pokémon. I have also gotten you officially registered for the Kanto League challenge. And I have added you to my client list so when you catch over six Pokémon, you will be able to store your extra Pokémon here."

I stood up from my chair and eyed the six Poké Balls. "Wow, thank you very much, sir. That is very gracious of you."

"Oh, that's not a problem, my boy." He looked over me with a troubled expression. "I just wish there was more I could do."

Umm, there is one thing… I just had to try. "Well, now that you mention it. I do need a starter Pokémon? How am I supposed to catch any Pokémon without weakening them first?" I hated myself for trying to guilt trip the old man but what choice did I have? I suppose I abandoned all hope of politeness and tried one last outburst to try and get a starter. It's not like I had anything to lose.

The Professor scratched his head, "I am sorry Ritchie, I would love to give you a Pokémon, I really would. But I can't just give out these rare Pokémon to everybody to shows up. If I could I probably would, haha."

My disappointment must have showed through on my face as another setback was thrust upon me. It looks like wasn't going to get a Pokémon from him. "No, you're right. Of course not…" I collapsed back into my chair.

Professor Oak saw my disappointment as he tried to explain himself. "As much as I would love to give you a Pokémon, I feel especially bad considering I gave a Pokémon to a boy who was late yesterday, there are some forces outside my control preventing it."

I looked at him, that bit of information seemed odd. Why would anybody stop Oak from giving out Pokémon? "Outside forces?"

"Well," he seemed a little uncomfortable talking but he didn't stop himself. "You see, a few weeks ago, the Pokémon League came to my Laboratory for a routine inspection. Well, I assumed it was routine anyway, but it turns out they came by to tell me I was being too lenient with beginning trainers. Giving them Pokémon and Pokédexes they were not signed up to receive, that sort of thing. I never really saw the problem with giving out this kind of help, it is a dangerous world out there, especially for beginners. But apparently the League thinks it is too much help, and that I am mollycoddling new trainers. So from this point forward I am banned from giving out Pokémon that aren't on the list."

"I see." Typical that all this had to happen before I could get a Pokémon…

"Anyway, yesterday they found out that I defied directed orders by giving a new Trainer a Pikachu, so let's just say they aren't very happy with me. Haha. I never expected such law enforcement, they have never intervened with my duties before. It is quite strange, this year they seem to be a lot more hands on with their rules."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the League seems to be, what's the word… interfering with Trainer's journeys. A lot more than they have before anyway. There has been a change of leadership recently and from what I have seen they are enforcing their procedures and structure on Trainers much more."

What was he saying? "So, is that a bad thing? The League just wants to help trainers get stronger, right?" This wasn't a conversation I was expecting.

He seemed to be deep in thought for a moment before snapping out of it and returning to his jolly demeanour, "Yes, yes, of course. You have nothing to worry about, they are just mad at me for defying them. Haha, So, Ritchie, I am truly sorry I can't give you a Pokémon."

"No, no, that's fine, I apologise if I was asking too much." I tried to be slightly mature to make up for letting myself get upset.

"That is quite alright, Ritchie, I can imagine many people would be doing the same in your situation. It's a tough old world out there. You just have to accept that there is going to be set backs. It's going to be hard. You are going to fall and think that the world is over. But the only thing you have to remember is that it isn't. It isn't about how you fall down. It is about how well you get back up. You may have had a hard beginning into this world Ritchie. But trust me, it will get better. There is one good thing to come from this. You have hit rock bottom. There is only one direction you can go now."

"Up…" I finished for him.

"Up." He repeated. "I wish you all the luck in the world, Ritchie. I cannot wait to see you dominate in the Indigo League."

"Thank you Professor, you have been very helpful." I started to get up and leave. I guess I'll have to earn my first Pokémon by caching it myself… That sounds hard without anything to weaken it first.

"Ritchie, wait," The Professor stopped me before I could leave and reached into his desk, "Here, take this." He slyly handed me a device he had taken out of the drawer in his desk. It was a Pokédex!

"Oh my, Professor, thank you!" I cradled the shiny red device in my hands, these things were like gold dust!

"That's alright," He seemed to nervously look around to see if anybody was watching. "That Pokédex was one the Pokémon League accidentally left behind after their last inspection. Don't let anybody know you got that from me, alright?" He smiled and gave me a wink.

I shook his hand in gratitude. "Wow, thank you, Professor, you have no idea how grateful I am!"

He laughed, "Don't mention it. And good luck out there, please keep in touch."

"I will. And I will dominate the Indigo League." A sly grin crossed my face before declaring, "Even if that mean beating your grandson."

He smiled at my joke. "Oh, yes, haha, very good. Time will tell, Ritchie, it always does."

With that I bid him farewell. Still no Pokémon, but much better off.

Now, the journey begins.

TO BE CONTINUED…

Blog Entries

You know, the only reason I remember Zippo is from the Celebi movie haha.

Anyways, you did really good on describing the lab when Richie walked into it, which was the one main thing I saw from last chapter.

Keep up the good work!
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Chapter 4: Pokédex Problems

So my visit to Professor Oak didn't exactly give me the results I was anticipating, I was hoping he would be so kind as to give me a Starter Pokémon, but I guess it wasn't to be. Then again, the visit wasn't a total waste of time, I now have 6 Poké Balls and a shiny new Pokédex to use on my journey. Now I just have to use them…

I suppose it could be worse, at least now I am in control of my own destiny. This way I get the chance to choose and earn my own starter Pokémon.

But where to begin?

It seemed there was a long road ahead of me, there was a single pathway in front of me snaking over the hill tops and grassy terrain that lead me to Viridian City. With just the one road at least I wasn't going to get lost. The sun was still shining and I was looking out over the area surrounding me, seeing if I could spot any Pokémon. No luck.

Wild Pokémon from around this area are said to be notoriously weak, here as I walk down Route 1. Going to Viridian wasn't exactly a big choice as there was no other direction to go down from Pallet Town unless I wanted to swim to Cinnabar Island. Even if the wild Pokémon are a little weak here, without anything to weaken it first before catching one might be a bit of a problem…

Maybe Pokémon at full health may not be strong enough to break out of a Poké Ball. That's a big 'maybe'. The Pokémon from around here aren't exactly valuable or rare. Sandshrews, Rattatas, Spearows… Oh man, would I really want a Rattata being my starter? I said I would be happy with anything but still…

No! I can't think like that! I will catch the first thing I see, beggars can't be choosers and a future Raticate would be an excellent member of my team. If I can find one, that is. The weather has been excellent all day, perfect for wild Pokémon to be out and about, yet ever since I arrived at Pallet and yet I haven't seen a single Pokémon. How strange…

One place that I knew would be overflowing with a vast array of cool and interesting Pokémon would be in the Viridian Forest. I have been reading up on all the important places in the Kanto region and that was a place that particularly caught my eye as being somewhere I could catch a vast array of Pokémon. But going into that forest without any kind of protection for a Pokémon would be insanely dangerous so I most definitely need to catch something before I go into the forest.

While I was walking, to the newly decided destination of the Viridian Forest, I heard a strange crackling noise coming from my pocket. The pocket that held the Pokédex Professor Oak had given me. The Pokédex was giving off a strange screeching noise and I as quickly as possible try to stop the horrible noise. I pressed the large blue button on top and flipped open the red Pokedex to see what was happening. The strange noises were becoming louder and seemed more violent as static interference lit up the screen and I pressed every button I could on the interface to try to shake off the horrible noise! I tried everything to get the screeching noise to subside but nothing seemed to be working. The noise was becoming so loud now I was worried it might upset the wild Pokémon in the surrounding area (not that I could see any as of yet). And as a last ditch attempt to fix it I turned the whole thing off and finally the static noise stopped. When I turned it back on the Pokédex screen came to life.

"I'm Dexter, a Pokédex programmed by Professor Oak for all new Pokémon Trainers. My function is to provide information and give advice regarding Pokémon and their training. If lost or stolen, I cannot be replaced."

Aha! It's working.

Looking the whole thing over the Pokédex problems seemed to be over and it looked to be working normally again. I turned "Dexter" over in my hand and took a closer look at everything. Apparently it was a slim model HANDY505, it had 22 buttons and a small screen in the middle. Upon closer inspection the Pokédex didn't look as new as I thought it was when the professor gave it to me. It looked a little worn and scuffed and there was even a big crack down the side of it, almost as if somebody had pried it open and stuck it back together again. Oh well, I guess I couldn't complain. He was nice enough to give me a Pokédex for free, I don't mind if it is second hand.

I was snapped out of my inspection when I saw a rustling in the grass before me and something leapt out of its hiding place and confronted me with a mean look on its face. A Pokémon! It was quite small, and blue fur covered its body, a long tail trailed behind it and it was on four small legs and looked straight up at me with anger in its eyes and snarls coming from its mouth. With the Pokédex in both hands I aimed it at the small blue Pokémon that had run out into my tracks. The red information directory buzzed to life and identified the Pokémon.

"Dragonite, the Dragon Pokémon. This extremely rare and highly intelligent type is able to fly faster than any known Pokémon."

Huh?

I looked at the small screen and for some reason the Pokédex was showing me all the information of a Dragonite.

If only…

I shook the Pokédex and banged on the back of it and the screen turned off and lit back up when I aimed it once more at the Pokémon in front of me.

"Rattata, the Forest Pokémon. It likes cheese, nuts, fruits, and berries. It also comes out into open fields to steal food from stupid travelers."

Ah, that sounds more likely. It had Rattata's name, species, ability, height, weight and oh look – its moves.

Wait… Did my Pokédex just call me stupid? I'm not the one who mistook a Rattata for a freaking Dragonite!

So, it was a Rattata, a mean looking Rattata at that! It was looking at me with a blood thirst in its eyes and with no means of defense, I slowly started to back away. Then again, I do have one defense. A Poké Ball! I could catch it before it tries to attack me. Though honestly, it looked kinda strong, for a Rattata anyway. And looking at it closer it had blood dripping from its two front teeth! I looked back to my Pokedex and saw the moves the little guys had. Crunch! Hyper Fang! Sucker Punch! My goodness, this thing is a monster! And before I could look back at the Pokémon the monster started moving its little legs towards me!

I saw the feral look on the rats face as it came closer and closer and I started backing away much quicker. "Ok, calm down, Mr Rattata. I don't have any food, I need food just as much as you do. Don't lo-AHH" The Rattata came running right at me with its large teeth bared and it jumped tried to attack me! I let out a high pitch shriek that I wasn't proud of and ran off in the opposite direction with the small blue Pokémon right on my tail.

So this is my life now. Here I am, running away, screaming like a girl, from a tiny little Rattata… No one must ever know about this.

---

So my encounter with the Rattata (which I had finally managed to run away from) definitely was not my finest hour. The little terror chased me for ages! He bit into the backs of my trouser legs. My trousers are ruined now! I never even got the chance to catch it, I couldn't even try, the thing probably would have kicked out anyway. Oh well, at least the Rattata taught me not to underestimate anything.

Anyway, I was now closing in in Viridian City, which I was actually reaching a lot quicker than I expected thanks to the Rattata (every cloud, huh?). However my attention wasn't on the road in front of me, it was off into the trees. Off to the side I saw a flock of birds that had landed in the largest tree I had seen on this route. Some were smaller than other but they all had brown feathers and a cream coloured underbelly. Hiding behind a smaller tree of my own, I aimed my Pokédex high into the tree to identify what I already knew.

"Snorlax, the Sleeping Pokémon. Snorlax wakes only to eat."

"What? No!" No! No! No! What is wrong with this thing? I shook the Pokédex as it once again gave me faulty information. I tried it again.

"Pidgeotto, an evolved form of Pidgey. It is armed with sharp claws and dives from the sky to capture its prey. Unlike the more gentle Pidgey, Pidgeotto can be more dangerous. Approach with extreme caution."

I'm not going to approach them at all! I aimed Dexter at the smaller members of the flock.

"Pidgey, the Flying Pokémon. Among all the Flying Pokémon, it is the gentlest and easiest to capture. A perfect target for the beginning Pokémon Trainer to test his Pokémon's skills. Pidgey's Gust power creates tornadoes. It also has a Sand-Attack."

There we go! Perfect information, that's what I wanted to hear. My (admittedly defective) Pokédex has finally given me something I can work with.

'Easy to capture'

'Perfect for beginners'

I need to catch one of these Pidgey. This is where my fortune turns around!

I had been watching these birds for a while now, trying to pick out the weaklings on the flock, these no way I could catch any of the stronger Pidgeotto without weakening them first. There was one Pidgey down on one of the lower branches that looked a little smaller than all the others, and didn't seem to be flying as strongly as the rest of the flock. That must be one of the babies of the group. Surely that will be the easiest to capture, it'll take some work training it up but I welcome a challenge. I need to catch it without alerting any other members of the flock.

Ok, here we go, I need to be stealth personified, I need to make ninjas look like the Snorlaxs in my Pokédex, I need to be the Master I always dreamt I could be and I need to throw the Poké Ball and catch this Pidgey!

I crept up to the tree the flock of Flying Pokémon were in with one of the Poké Balls Oak had given me in my hand. I was getting more jumpy the closer and closer I got, I had to pull the trigger before I get noticed. Slowly but surely, I approached the tree and none of them had seen me! I got as close to the weakest Flying Pokémon as I dared and I mustered all the strength I could and I threw my Poké Ball hard at the small Pidgey on the lowest branch. The bird squawked in surprise as its whole body suddenly became enveloped in red energy which the Poké Ball locked around. Yes! The Pidgey was in the Poké Ball!

But then the Pidgey kicked out first time…

First time! The Poké Ball didn't even wriggle!

The small Pidgey burst out of the Poké Ball, smashing the ball into a million pieces and let out a screech to all the birds in the higher trees. The flock turned around in their position and all looked down on me. I saw hundreds of Flying Pokémon looked down at me from their high branches in disgust, as they all realized that I had tried to attack their young. In a flash hundreds of Pidgey and Pidgeotto came flying down at me in an attacking formation. Not for the first time today I found myself running and screaming, running away from hundreds and hundreds of Pidgey and Pidgeottos.

Some of the Pidgeotto were true to the Pokedex entry and they came swooping down at me and scratched and clawed at my bag and clothes but I didn't stop running (I had a lot of practice since this journey had started!). After what seemed like forever, and a lot long than it took the Rattata to give up, eventually the flock of birds started to get smaller and smaller as they decided to leave me alone and went back to attend the young Pokémon I had attacked.

Out of breathe I collapsed onto the floor, panting and looking myself over to see if I had any injuries and I stayed on the floor until I could fully catch my breathe again. It looked like I was ok, my bag and clothes have a few nicks and cuts but that was easily fixable. I am actually very lucky the Pidgeottos decided to give up on me when they did!

So, the Pidgey wasn't as easy to catch as my Pokedex said. I still can't believe it kicked out first time.

Getting up from my position I had a look around to try and get my bearing. I am almost certainly lost now. I was in the middle of a grassy field and I was looking around trying to find the pathway I was on which lead to Viridian City. Hopefully this chase would have gotten me even closer to the city. Eventually, I found the pathway and walked down it for just awhile and saw something that made me just want to cry. A huge sign post on the side of the road.

"WELCOME TO PALLET TOWN.Shades of your journey await!"

Pallet Town. I was at Pallet Town. Right back where I started…

Right back where I started, looking down upon Pallett Town, the town I had just left. The flock of birds had made me double back to where I came from.

"AHHH!" I clenched my fists and started beating at the sign as if it was the signs fault.

What the hell? I must be the worst Pokémon trainer of all time! What is wrong with me! I can't walk in a straight line! I can't follow a simple path to Viridian City! I'm getting owned by Pidgeys and Rattatas!

Pokémon Master? HA! That'll be the day…

Whatever happened to beginners luck?

TO BE CONTINUED…

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I quite liked Ritchie in the Anime. He was just like Ash, except competent.

This is a great start to a journey story. I have to admit that I've never seen NO starter before. It's a great way to begin, especially kicking off with introducing some bad guys. You've done a great job with Ritchie's character, as well as portraying Professor Oak. Ritchie comes across as a bit pretentious, but I think that will pass in time. Introducing Eden was another great idea, even though we all know she and the "guy from Johto" will fail miserably in their journeys. One way or another, I can tell you've really got this stuff planned out. My main qualm at this point is that you readily switch between past and present tense. It's a side effect of your excellent voicing of Ritchie as the narrator, but still is kind of jarring. Always use the past tense, unless you want to directly portray Ritchie's thoughts in present tense, in which case you should put them in italics or just have him say them out loud.

Good stuff so far, and I look forward to more.

Review Extravaganza 11/50

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud